ELAC Debut IW-D61-W
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the ELAC Debut IW-D61-W by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
A speaker that's heard but not seen
ELAC's chief speaker architect Andrew Jones hit the ball out of the park with the company's popular line of Debut series floor-standing and bookshelf speakers. Now, he's woven the sweet sound of Debut into an inconspicuous in-wall speaker. The Debut IW-D61-W delivers smooth, clear sound that's ideal for the left or right channel of a space-saving home theater or stereo music system.
The IW-D61-W features a protective cover that keeps dust and dirt off of your speaker.
Adaptable to your décor
The IW-D61-W's sleek design includes a paintable, magnetic grille that you can match to your room's décor. The zero-bezel edge means no bulk around the sides of the grille, making this speaker virtually disappear into your wall.
ELAC's rotating-cam design makes your in-wall installation straightforward. Once you have the IW-D61-W in place, simply use a screwdriver to tighten each cam for a secure grip against the back of the wall.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out our guide to installing in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire.
- ideal for use as the left or right channel of a space-saving home theater or music system
- 1" soft dome tweeter
- 6-1/2" aramid-fiber woofer
- frequency response: 45-20,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- includes magnetic paintable grille
- protective cover keeps dust and dirt off of the speaker
- speaker cutout dimensions: 7-3/8"W x 11-5/8"H
- overall dimensions: 8-1/2"W x 12-3/4"H
- mounting depth: 4"
- weight: 8.9 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-wall speaker
- "ELAC" decal
- Cutout Template
- Operating Instructions
Sound is amazing and installation was super easy
Michele, Strongsville, OH
ELAC Debut IW-D61-W Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Cutout Size||7.4375 x 11.625|
|Woofer Composition||Woven Aramid-Fiber|
|Power Range (Watts)||30-120|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Elac Debut Custom Install Series: The ELAC Debut Series Custom Install series speakers are designed to accurately reproduce the full-range of music and film sound, while requiring absolutely no floor space. This compact format is ideal for applications where traditional loudspeakers would be impractical or impossible. In-wall & in-ceiling speakers are ideal for surround sound applications, anywhere space is a consideration, or to bring music into additional rooms of the house.
Two-Way Driver Design: The Elac Debut IW-D61-W in-wall loudspeaker features a two-way driver design with a 1" tweeter, one 6.5" woofer, and a 2,200Hz crossover. Both the tweeter and woofer have been custom designed by Andrew Jones to deliver an exceptional audio experience that can't be delivered with typical off-the-shelf parts.
- Cloth Dome Tweeter w/ Wave Guide: The Elac Debut IW-D61-W features a 1" cloth dome tweeter with a custom-designed waveguide with a deep spheroid profile. This waveguide design is utilized to improve directivity control and shield the tweeter from baffle diffraction.
- Woven-Aramid Fiber Woofer: The in-wall speaker features a single 6.5" woven aramid-fiber cone woofer with rubber surround, oversized magnet, and vented pole piece. Woven aramid fiber offers a superior stiffness-to-weight ratio and damping over common polypropylene or paper cones. The added strength allows more flexibility in design to achieve a smoother, extended frequency response.
- Custom Crossover: A custom seven-element crossover (2,200Hz) with audio-grade components is implemented to ensure smooth transition between the tweeter and woofer.
Magnetic Grille: The included magnetic grille fits easily onto the IW-D61-W in-wall speaker after installation. The grille features an edge-to-edge, low-profile design for a more seamless, consistent look that blends with the wall more attractively.
Spring-Post Speaker Terminals: The Elac Debut IW-D61-W in-wall loudspeaker is outfitted with spring-post terminals to attach your in-wall speaker wire. The spring-post speaker terminals will accommodate up to 14AWG speaker wire. The terminals will also support single banana plugs. For shorter distances up to 25', 18AWG speaker wire will be sufficient. For longer distances, 16AWG speaker wire should be used.
Note: Do not use nails, staples or other metal objects to secure the speaker wire. The resulting short-circuit could affect your system's performance & could also damage components in your system, especially the amplifier. To minimize interference & external hum keep the speaker wires away from other electrical wires and cables.
In-Wall Installation: The Elac Debut IW-D61-W mounts in a 7.4375" (w) x 11.625" (h) rectangular cutout opening in your wall with a mounting depth of 3.9375". Use the included template for proper cut-out of drywall. Your wall needs to be 0.25" to 0.75" thick. Allow at least 1.5" of clearance between the wall cut-out and any studs or joists. Six "dog-ear" clamps secure the speaker to the wall.
- Do not install the speaker near any heat sources such as radiators, heating valves, stoves or apparatus (including amplifiers), or in areas where there is a risk of explosion.
- Do not install the speaker near transformers. EMF fields can cause unwanted noise.
- Do not install the speaker in locations that are extremely humid, exceptionally hot, cold or prone to vibrations.
Speaker Placement: Once installed, In-wall speakers are not easily repositioned or moved. Please take a bit of extra time to carefully consider the best speaker locations before you begin. Each room is unique, so decide what works best for you.
- Speakers should be mounted close to or above ear level whenever possible.
- Speakers should always be directed toward the primary listening position.
- Speakers should be mounted at least 2' from the corners of the room or ceiling.
- Mounting a speaker too near the corner of the room will increase the low-frequency response, causing an unnatural "boominess" in the affected frequencies.
Applications: This speaker is perfect for most applications for home theater & music, providing extremely accurate reproduction of the entire frequency range.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Recommendation from my brother. [ Luke Jul 02, 2018 ]
read all of the reviews and seems like this is the best speaker for the money. I am going to use this as the front speakers of my basement 7.1 surround system but I also wanted something that will sound good for 2.1 stereo. [ stephen Aug 10, 2017 ]