Garmin vivosmart 3
Activity tracker with heart rate monitor (Purple - small/medium)
Item # 150VS3P | MFR # 010-01755-11
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Garmin vivosmart 3 by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
More than just steps
I remember seeing the first activity trackers and thinking, "Wow, that's pretty cool." But did I want one? Not really. As an active triathlete and ultrarunner, just tracking my steps didn't seem to be of much benefit to me. But Garmin's vivosmart 3 activity tracker offers a comprehensive set of features that makes it pretty appealing as a serious fitness tool.
vivosmart 3 helps you track a variety of fitness activities.
Track those reps!
This sharp-looking Garmin does a lot of the nuts-and-bolts things you expect from a fitness tracker, like counting steps, floors climbed, and calories burned. But when you pump some free weights or sit down at the weight machine, vivosmart 3 will track your sets and reps — no more pencil scratching in a sweaty notebook. The data even gets automatically pushed to Garmin Connect™ so you can review or share it later.
Heart rate data helps you hit your goals
vivosmart HR+'s Elevate™ technology measures heart rate at the wrist, so you won't need a heart rate strap on your chest. This data lets vivosmart 3 monitor your fitness on a daily basis, plus provides a baseline for calculating your VO2 max levels and other fitness metrics.
vivosmart 3 pairs with your smartphone to transfer data automatically to the Garmin Connect™ app, so you can track your progress, join online challenges, earn virtual badges, or just compare notes with family and friends. And the smart notifications feature will alert you with a gentle vibration when you receive a text, email, or phone call.
OLED touchscreen display
The crystal-clear OLED touchscreen makes this Garmin easy to use — just touch and swipe the screen if you want to read or change settings. You can also control select music players on your smartphone, or even take charge of a Garmin VIRB action camera when you're recording an epic adventure.
- smart activity tracker with HR monitor
- built-in heart rate monitor with heart rate based calorie computation
- fitness monitoring tools, including VO2 max, strength training, and fitness age
- OLED touchscreen display (0.76" x 0.38")
- smart notifications of texts, emails, and phone calls from paired Bluetooth devices
- measures steps, stairs climbed, activity intensity, calories, and distance
- music control of select smartphone music players
- VIRB® control
- wirelessly syncs with Garmin Connect online community
- inactivity alert
- band size: 4.8"-7.4" (small/medium); 5.8"-8.5" (large)
- rechargeable lithium battery, up to 5 days between charges
- safe for swimming
- weight: 20.4 gm (small/medium); 21.5 gm (large)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Smart activity tracker (purple / small-medium)
- 21" Charging cradle/cable (Type A USB)
- Quick Start Manual
- Important Safety and Product Information
Exactly what I was looking for, for my wife. She wanted something that was not as bulky as mine. Very low profile, sleek and slender. Yet, rugged enough to not worry about daily activities damaging it. Exactly what she wanted. Easy to read and intuitive.
Rob, Matawan, NJ
Garmin vivosmart 3 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Garmin vívosmart 3 is a water-resistant smart activity tracker with a built-in heart rate monitor that helps you reach your personalized daily fitness goals. The slender, lightweight device is worn on the wrist, and has a 0.38" x 0.76" (64 x 128 pixels) touchscreen display. On the display, you can view your steps, calories burned, distances traveled, heart rate, floors climbed, reps completed, and activity intensity. Vívosmart 3 also alerts you when it's time to move, or when you receive an email, text, a call on your smartphone, or a social media alert. It can even monitor your sleep. This small/medium-sized vívosmart 3 weighs just 0.72 ounces, and has an adjustable wrist band that fits a wrist circumference between 4.8" to 7.4". A large size version is also available for those with a wrist circumference of 5.8" to 8.5".
Elevate: The vívosmart 3 is equipped with Elevate wrist-based heart rate technology. The heart rate monitor is located on the bottom of the activity tracker and continuously measures your heart rate at the wrist. There is no need to wear a separate heart rate strap. The vívosmart 3 can broadcast your heart rate to other compatible Garmin devices, such as an Edge cycling device or VIRB action camera.
Garmin Connect: The vívosmart 3 has built-in Bluetooth Smart technology so you can automatically pair it to your smartphone or mobile device. With the Garmin Connect app on your smartphone or computer, you can keep track of your activities, your daily goals, the calories you've burned, and help motivate you to keep active. You can also share your activities and goals with your friends on social media. The vívosmart 3 settings are configured on Garmin Connect, including Time Format (12-hour or 24-hour), Measurement Units (miles or kilometers), Visible Screens, and Auto Goal. Garmin Connect for your home computer is compatible with Windows Vista SP2 and newer and Mac OS 10.10 or higher. Garmin Connect Mobile works with Bluetooth 4.0-enabled devices running Android 4.0 or higher, iOS 9.0 and above, or Windows 10 Mobile and above. Click here for a list of compatible Apple, Android, or Windows phones.
Widgets: The Garmin vívosmart 3's on-screen widgets provide feedback on many activities. You can keep track of your activity level throughout the day and view the results on the screen at any time. Additional sensors, such as a bike speed sensor, can be paired to the device. You can swipe the touchscreen display left or right to scroll through the widgets. Some of the activities and display screens include:
- Time/Date: Displays the current time, day, and date (can be set manually, or automatically when it syncs up to your mobile device)
- Steps: Provides a count of the steps you take, and you daily step goal. As you progress, the device will propose a new step goal each day.
- Floors: Similar to the Steps widget, the device keeps track of the number of floors climbed and your goal for the day.
- Heart Rate: Shows your current heart rate and 7-day average resting heart rate in beats per minute (BPM).
- Distance: Keeps track of the total distance traveled for the day, expressed in miles or kilometers.
- Intensity Minutes: The Vívosmart 3 counts the number of minutes spent in vigorous activity, plus your goal for the week.
- Calories Burned: Keeps track of the number of total calories burned for the day, including active and resting calories.
- Stress Level: Displays your current stress level, based on your heart rate variability while you are inactive. The lower the number, the lower your stress level.
- Temperature/Weather: Displays the current temperature and weather forecast. Requires connection to a smartphone.
- Notifications: You receive notification of new texts, emails, social network updates, and phone calls received from the paired mobile device.
- VIRB: Remote controls for a paired VIRB action camera.
- Music Controls: Music controls for the music player on a paired mobile device.
Rep Counter: If you are participating in a strength training activity, vívosmart 3 can record your reps and sets of a single move. Using the built-in timer, the device counts your reps (at least 6) until you complete one set. Each rep is counted when the arm wearing the device returns to the starting position. (It may not work well with leg exercises.) As you begin your second set, you can begin the counter again, and the device will count your reps. The Rep Counter works with bodyweight or free weight exercises, and over a wide range of motion. When completed, you can upload your strength training activity to your Garmin Connect account.
Stress Tracking: The device can analyze your heart rate variability while you are inactive to determine your overall stress. Your stress level is expressed within a range of 0 to 100: 0-25 resting state, 26-50 low stress, 51-75 medium stress, and 76-100 high stress. When stress levels are high, you can use the relaxation-based breathing timer (a 1 to 5 minute breathing exercise) on the stress widget to help lower your stress level. Syncing your device to your Garmin Connect account lets you see your stress level throughout the day, stress trends, and which parts of the day are the most stressful. For best results, you should wear the device while sleeping.
Move IQ: The vívosmart 3's Move IQ feature automatically detects activity patterns, such as biking, swimming, walking, or running, for at least 10 minutes. This eliminates the need to start or stop the activity timer each time you begin a new activity. You can view the event type and duration on the Garmin Connect timeline, but they do not appear in your activities list, snapshots, or newsfeed.
History: The device can store up to 14 days of activity data (daily steps, calories burned, sleep statistics), heart rate monitoring data, and up to 7 timed activities. Data storage capability depends upon how often you upload the data to your computer.
Water Resistance: The vívosmart 3 has a water resistance rating of 5 ATM, which means it can withstand pressures equivalent to a depth of 50 meters (164 feet). Not only can you wear the device in the rain and wet weather, you can even shower or swim with it. The device also has a wide operating temperature range of -4°F to 122°F.
Battery: The vívosmart 3 is powered by a built-in rechargeable Lithium-polymer battery with a battery life of up to 5 days. A 21" charging/data cable is included with the device.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Wanted one that fits a small wrist, Garmin was rated pretty good. [ WIILIAM Nov 28, 2017 ]
Gift for Mother's Day [ Shawn May 14, 2017 ]
2 questions already asked
No [ Elaine Dec 13, 2017 ]
No, I don't believe it has GPS. [ Rob Dec 12, 2017 ]
After a charge approx. 3-5 days depending on how active you are (having it record your exercise sessions), if you are receiving alot of notifications, how bright you have the screen, if you have movement reminder on etc. It will last less between charges the more of the above that occurs. [ Elaine Feb 01, 2018 ]
about five days [ R BRUCE Feb 01, 2018 ]
My daughter gets approximately a week out of a charge. Hope this helps [ CHRISTOPHER D Feb 01, 2018 ]