NETGEAR AC1900 Nighthawk™
Smart Wi-Fi® router, dual-band Gigabit (R7000)
From Netgear: Beamforming
From Netgear: Downstream QoS for Priority Video Streaming
From Netgear: How to stop network lag with AirTime Fairness
From Netgear: Nighthawk R7000 Installation
Our take on the NETGEAR AC1900 Nighthawk™ by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The NETGEAR Nighthawk™ lets you prioritize your gaming platform for smooth, lag-free gameplay.
Get your game on
Lag. Buffering. Freezing. These are the things my son complains about when he's gaming online. The NETGEAR R7000/AC1900 Nighthawk makes sure all of your wireless devices get enough bandwidth, and it's packed with features that enhance the online experience for serious gamers.
A powerful 1GHz dual core processor is the brains of the operation, and premium features like bandwidth prioritizing and beamshaping allow you to decide where your bandwidth is needed most. The gamer in your house will love that, but it also offers flexibility for streaming video on movie night, listening to high-res music, or downloading large work files.
Put your USB drive to work
If you plug your USB hard drive into your Nighthawk Wi-Fi router, you'll open up the door to NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD® USB Access. That means wherever you are, you'll be able to access your connected USB storage device, so you can keep large files like photos and videos at home, then see and share them when you're out and about without taking up precious space on your mobile device. The router can also perform regularly scheduled backups to the connected drive, so your important data stays current and safe.
NETGEAR's Wi-Fi Protected Access® offers tough WPA/WPA2 encryption that denies outsiders access to your wireless signal. This router also offers double firewall protection and a stiff defense against denial-of-service (DoS) attacks. If you have young ones in the house, use the router's parental controls to filter out content you don't want them to see. If you're one of the growing number of people who occasionally works from home, the Nighthawk offers a strong, secure VPN connection as well.
Easy to install and use
NETGEAR routers are designed for easy installation. Once you've plugged in a few cables, use the single-button Push ‘N' Connect function to connect your Wi-Fi quickly. The NETGEAR genie® app lets you monitor, control and troubleshoot your network from a convenient personal dashboard.
- 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit wireless router
- simultaneous dual band operation (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz)
- high-powered amplifiers with 3 detachable external antennas provide improved wireless coverage for large properties
- AC1900 Wi-Fi (600+1300 Mbps)
- up to 600 Mbps on 802.11n band
- up to 1300 Mbps on 802.11ac band
- powerful 1GHz dual-core processor delivers high-performance connectivity
- advanced upstream and downstream QoS (quality of service)
- single-button Push 'N' Connect function
- DLNA compliant for easy content sharing
- NETGEAR genie® app helps you monitor, control, and troubleshoot your home network
- 128 MB flash and 256 MB RAM internal memory
- bandwidth can be prioritized for online gaming, streaming videos, or high-res music
- Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability and range of Wi-Fi connection
- Airtime fairness prevents network lag when slower devices connect
- ReadyCLOUD® USB Access allows secure remote cloud access to USB storage
- five 10/100/1000 (4 LAN and 1 WAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
- one USB 3.0 port
- one USB 2.0 port
- Wi-Fi Protected Access® (WPA/WPA2-PSK)
- double firewall protection (SPI and NAT firewall)
- denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
- VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters
- automatic backup software for Windows® PC included
- compatible with Time Machine® for Mac
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 11-1/4"W x 2"H x 7-1/4"D
- weight: 1.65 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Dual-band WiFi router
- 3 Antennas
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- 58" Ethernet cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Installation Guide
great product with easy setup, covers single story 2000 sq ft home and immediate outside areas very well including Roku streaming video
Phil, Modesto, CA
NETGEAR AC1900 Nighthawk™ Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
AC1900 Smart WiFi Router: Built with gaming, streaming and mobile devices in mind, this next generation gigabit WiFi router has a 1GHz dual core processor and delivers extreme speed so you enjoy less lag and less buffering. With Beamforming+ and built in high powered amplifiers and external antennas, you get WiFi coverage anywhere around your home.
Variety of Applications: With NETGEAR's Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router, you can create a powerful home network for applications such as lag-free multiple HD streaming, multi-player online gaming, ultra-fast, reliable connection to the Internet and a secure wireless connection.
- Surf/Chat/Email: Enjoy a reliable, secure wireless connection to the Internet for surfing the web, chatting, and email.
- HD Video Streaming: Optimized for a smooth, lag-free HD video streaming experience; even for multiple devices.
- Internet Radio Music: Enjoy a fast and reliable wireless connection for listening to music online.
- Online Gaming: Optimized for multi-player gaming with no lags.
1GHz Dual-Core Processor: The NETGEAR Nighthawk's Dual Core 1GHz processor boosts wireless, wired, & WAN-to-LAN performance. The NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router is built to handle all your high-bandwidth online activities with features that will keep you connected at top speeds.
WiFi Technology: The NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router offers Gigabit WiFi speeds thanks to its WiFi 802.11ac chipset, plus extended WiFi range and reliability due to its 2.4GHZ & 5GHZ dual-bands.
- Gigabit WiFi Speed: The NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router adopts the latest WiFi 802.11ac chipset for extreme download speeds up to 600+1300 Mbps (up to 600Mbps @ 2.4 GHz, 1300Mbps @ 5 GHz). It is also backward compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n devices. Next generation 802.11ac WiFi with dual band technology avoids wireless interference and provides whole home coverage ensuring top WiFi speeds and reliable connections. Everything you need for an ultra-fast WiFi connected home.
- Extended WiFi Range: The NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router is equipped with high-powered amplifiers and three external antennas that provide extremely reliable WiFi connectivity throughout larger homes for all your Internet-enabled devices.
- Dual-Band WiFi: Simultaneous dual band WiFi provides two separate WiFi networks - 2.4GHz for legacy devices and 5GHz which is less interference-prone for media streaming.
Gigabit Wired: The NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router is fitted with five 10/100/1000 (1 WAN & 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology. The WAN port is used to connect your Internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices.
Advanced Technologies: With features like QoS, Beamforming+, and Airtime Fairness you get enhanced speed by up to 100%, so you can roam freely throughout your home without fear of slow or dropped connections.
- QoS Upstream & Downstream: Downstream & upstream QoS automatically recognizes & prioritizes streaming & gaming applications. With the powerful 1GHz dual core processor and advanced upstream QoS for XBox and other game consoles, Nighthawk can prioritize bandwidth to your game so other devices on the network don't slow down your connection. Nighthawk also has downstream QoS and is optimized for streaming applications like YouTube, Netflix, and others, so you can enjoy uninterrupted video streaming with limited buffering.
- Beamforming+: Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability, and range of WiFi connections on 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Unlike typical WiFi routers that just blast the WiFi signals in all directions; with Beamforming+ the router & device communicate with each other, so the router can directly beam the WiFi signal to the device. The result is a stronger, faster, more reliable connection that is locked in even when the device is moved around the home.
- Airtime Fairness: This features prevents network lag when slower devices connect to the router.
Convenient Content Sharing: With NETGEAR, sharing across your network is built-in and simple, anything from accessing stored photos & music to wireless printing.
- DLNA: Stream your stored media files anywhere on the network to DLNA screens.
- AirPlay Compatible: Share your music to Airplay-compatible devices from the USB hard-drive connected to the router.
- ReadySHARE USB Access: Wirelessly access & share USB hard drives via the router's dual USB ports (2.0/3.0). USB 3.0 is 10x faster than USB 2.0.
- ReadySHARE Printer: Wirelessly access & share a USB printer.
Cloud Storage: Access and share your files stored on a USB Drive through NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD USB Access. Simply plug your USB hard drive into the NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi Router to create secure personal cloud storage. Enjoy the convenience and accessibility of Google Drive and Dropbox without the fees, storage limitations, or privacy concerns. Using the ReadyCLOUD mobile app or web portal, you'll now have anytime, anywhere access to your USB drive at home.
Simple Setup: NETGEAR makes installation and management fast & simple, so you can connect quickly & make sure you stay that way. The router offers a built-in Setup Wizard for computer setup, an Apple & Google Play app for Apple iOS & Android setup, plus a WPS push-button setup.
- Device Install: Easy setup for iPad, tablets, smartphones & computers.
- Setup Wizard: You can use the router's built-in Setup Wizard for Windows & Mac to detect your Internet settings and automatically set up the router from your computer.
- NETGEAR Genie App: Personal dashboard to monitor, control & repair your home network from your smartphone or tablet.
- Push 'N' Connect: Easy push button WiFi connections (WPS).
- WiFi Power On/Off: Convenient power savings.
NETGEAR Genie App: The NETGEAR Genie App makes getting the most out of your home network fun & easy. The Genie App lets you easily monitor, connect & control your home network from a Windows PC, Mac computer/laptop, Apple iOS device, or Android smartphone/tablet. With the NETGEAR Genie App you can share & stream music or videos, diagnose & repair network issues, set up parental controls & more.
- NETGEAR Genie App for iPhone: compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (running iOS 6.0+)
- NETGEAR Genie App for iPad: compatible with iPad (running iOS 6.0+)
- NETGEAR Genie App for Android: compatible with Android 2.2 or higher
- NETGEAR Genie App for Windows PC: compatible with Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP
- NETGEAR Genie App for Mac: compatible with Mac OS X
Alexa Commands: When you enable your NETGEAR router to work with Alexa, you can use voice commands to configure your router's settings. You can also ask Alexa to send your network credentials to your Alexa app, which makes accessing your credentials more convenient while still keeping your information secure. The following Alex commands are supported -
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to enable the guest network
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to disable the guest network
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to reboot my router
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to send me my WiFi settings
- Before you enable your NETGEAR router to work with Alexa, you must download the NETGEAR genie app, create a remote access account, and register your router with your remote access account.
- There are two ways to enable your NETGEAR router to work with Amazon Alexa. You can use the command "Alexa, enable the NETGEAR skill," or you can manually link the NETGEAR skill to your Alexa app.
High Security: Maintain the highest security across your network to ensure your privacy & family is safe while online. Whether it's preventing phishing & spyware or just limiting access for kids & guests, NETGEAR has you covered.
- VPN Support: VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters.
- Parental Controls: Keep your Internet browsing experience safe and secure with free parental controls. It allows you to limit access to certain web sites at certain times. For example no social networking or gaming site access after dinner time.
- Guest Network Access: Separate & secure access for guests. Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network for your guests' devices, ensuring they do not have access to your home network or to the shared USB hard drive with all your personal data.
- Secure WiFi Connections: Secure WiFi connections offer the highest level of WPA/WPA2/WPA2-PSK security with Double firewall protection (SPI/NAT firewall) and Denial-of-Service (DoS) attack prevention.
- Personal FTP Server: With your customized free URL, you can use FTP to access your network when you aren't home through Dynamic DNS.
Auto Backup: Keep your content safe by using the included ReadySHARE Vault application for backing up Windows-based PCs. For Mac OS users, back-up using Apple Time Machine.
- ReadyShare Vault PC: Use the free NETGEAR ReadySHARE Vault app to back up your Windows computers to a USB hard drive connected to the Nighthawk router.
- Time Machine: You can use Time Machine to back up your Mac computers onto a USB hard disk drive that is connected to one of the router's USB ports.
Firmware/Software Updates: Its USB 2.0/3.0 ports and 128MB Flash/128MB memory provide future software feature expansion. Click here for the latest firmware/software updates from NETGEAR.
LEDs: LEDs on the top-panel of the Nighthawk AC1900 indicate router status.
System Requirements: Make sure your home network meets the following system requirements.
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / 7/ Vista / XP /2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux.
- Internet Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
At JC's advice. Rusty confirmed the selection days later when I went to check out. [ M Jul 08, 2018 ]
In stock, on sale, and rewards point! [ Alvin May 21, 2018 ]
Good reviews on your site, cable co router not good, [ Kevin Apr 28, 2018 ]
Recommendation of a friend and review. [ BARTLE Dec 06, 2017 ]
Good online reviews [ MIke Feb 11, 2017 ]
adviser @ cruchfield [ STEVEN P Dec 04, 2016 ]
Quality and value. [ Christopher Nov 07, 2016 ]
Crutchfield service and product information. [ Charles Feb 25, 2016 ]
2 questions already asked
If your service is interrupted before it reaches your home or your modem is the culprit, a new router will not correct for these issues. If your router is the issue, absolutely, the Netgear AC1900 will offer excellent performance, signal strength and speed. [ Ryan Sep 30, 2017 ] Staff
I'm in an urban area so connecting to the internet is no problem; I'm not familiar with Velocity I will say that among my friends AT&T has the reputation for giving the worst service on internet and on phones. This NetGear AC 1900 Nighthawk is great; I used it to replace a 2005 Apple Airport (really old!) and the difference in speed is astounding! Pages load in an instant, and when we stream a Netflix or On Demand program there's no buffering at all. We only use it for one computer and one iPhone but I'm sure it can handle multiple devices at the same time. I installed it almost two months ago and it has never dropped a connection or reset itself once during that time. I'm not a techie but it was easy to set up in minutes, and if you want to fine tune the settings you can using the NetGear Genie. We're very happy with out purchase! Good luck LetItSnow! [ Edward Sep 29, 2017 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: The exact distance a router will work at actually depends on a number of factors. These include the strength of the router signal output, the materials in your home, the router placement, other electronic devices, etc. The NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 is equipped with high-powered amplifiers and three external antennas. These should help provide reliable WiFi connectivity - even throughout larger homes. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Sep 01, 2015 ] Staff