Cylinder-style powered subwoofer
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the SVS PC12-Plus by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
High-end bass with a space-saving footprint
Do you crave deep, accurate, heart-pounding bass for your stereo or home theater system? Does your listening room have limited floor space for a big powered sub? If you answered yes to these questions, then check out the SVS PC12-Plus. This 800-watt subwoofer uses a unique cylinder-shaped design to deliver all of the deep, powerful bass you'd expect from a big ported box, but in a more space-efficient, vertically oriented enclosure with a room-friendly footprint. (Only 16.6" in diameter, to be exact.) The PC12-Plus also gives you flexible options for customizing its sound to match your room and personal listening preferences.
With 800 watts of power, a 12" high-output woofer, and three flared, low-noise ports, the SVS PC12-Plus delivers powerful bass for your movies and music.
A subwoofer with plenty of brawn, and brains to match
At the heart of the PC12-Plus lies a muscular, high-efficiency Class D amplifier. The amp's built-in Digital Signal Processor (DSP) dynamically controls output power to ensure you hear nothing but deep, low-distortion bass no matter how loud your music and movies get.
On-board tools for fine-tuning the sound include a digital parametric EQ with adjustable frequency, cut/boost, and Q values, plus an adjustable room gain compensation control to help tame pesky room response issues. And, of course, you get fully adjustable phase compensation and digital crossover controls. To make adjustments easier and keep track of all your settings, SVS put a bright, two-line LCD readout on the sub's back panel.
A ported design with sound-shaping options
The PC12-Plus employs a bass-reflex (ported) cabinet that allows its 12" high-performance driver to make long excursions for exceptionally deep bass at high output levels. SVS placed the sub's three flared, low-noise ports on top of the enclosure to minimize interaction with room boundaries for greater bass accuracy. They also included three dense foam plugs that allow you to customize how deep and loud the sub will play by blocking individual ports. The PC12-Plus's strong, rigid, cylinder-shaped enclosure helps eliminate cabinet flex and resonance to keep your bass ultra-clean.
Who is SVS?
SVS was founded in 1998 by a group of audio enthusiasts seeking to develop a better alternative to the under-performing and over-priced subwoofers popular at the time. By leveraging advanced technology, using the highest quality components, and applying rigorous engineering and design principles, the SVS team has developed a line of high-performance, high-value audio products that bring music and movies to life with stunning realism.
- frequency response: 16-250 Hz (±3 dB)
- built-in Class D amplifier delivers 800 watts RMS of continuous power (2300 watts peak dynamic power)
- ultra-light and rigid 12" composite pulp/fiberglass cone with stitched surround for excellent transient response and rugged reliability
- down-firing driver with integral base plate
- bass reflex (ported) cylinder-shaped cabinet design
- top-firing triple 3" high-flow flared ports with 3 foam port blockers included for versatile sound-shaping options
- Integrated Function Controller knob and two-line LCD screen provide all amplifier settings and adjustments
- variable tuning with 20 Hz, 16 Hz, and sealed settings to match subwoofer port settings
- selectable room gain compensation control with adjustable frequency and slope to better match bass to room size
- digital parametric EQ with adjustable frequency, cut/boost, and Q values
- customized EQ and DSP limiter settings specifically for the PC12-Plus
- variable low-pass crossover with a 12dB or 24dB/octave filter and a Low Pass Disable setting for connecting an A/V receiver
- variable phase control (0-180°)
- line-level/LFE RCA and balanced (XLR) inputs
- filtered RCA and balanced (XLR) line outputs (fixed 80 Hz, 12dB/octave high-pass)
- main power on/off switch plus auto standby/on mode
- detachable power cord
- screw-in rubber feet included
- black velour finish
- 16-1/2"W x 40-5/16"H x 16-3/4"D
- weight: 75 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Powered subwoofer
- 8' AC power cord
- 3 Foam port blockers
- Owner's Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Subwoofer Unpacking Instructions
This thing is a beast and absolutely stunning. If you want super low and clean bass then this unit is for you. Build quality is outstanding. Highly recommended.
Rick, Jamison, PA
SVS PC12-Plus Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Woofer Composition||Composite pulp/fiberglass|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||31,40,63,80,100,125|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||---|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||800|
|Frequency Response||16-250 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Cylinder Cabinet Design: The SVS PC12-Plus powered subwoofer features a cylinder cabinet design and three top-firing 3" high-flow ports with inner/outer port flares for smooth, deep bass and high output efficiency. The cylinder styled PC12-Plus outperforms many larger ported "box-style" powered subs. The SVS PC12-Plus delivers unmatched bass performance per square inch of floor space giving you the sheer power of a much larger ported subwoofer. Its cylinder cabinet features MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) construction and is wrapped in a black cloth, along with a non-resonant steel mesh grille on top.
Note: There are 3 foam port blockers included if the powered sub's bass sound is too "boomy" and you prefer a tighter bass response. You can choose to block one, two, three, or zero ports.
12" High Output Woofer: The front-firing 12" high output woofer of the SVS PC12-Plus powered subwoofer pumps out deep and powerful bass with low distortion, for smooth and accurate performance on music and movies soundtracks. The woofer features an ultra-light and rigid 12" composite pulp/fiberglass cone for excellent transient response, dual linear-roll spiders and stitched parabolic surround for extreme excursion capability, and a bifilar wound 3" high-power aluminum voice coil for extreme power handling. The woofer's Finite Element Analysis (FEA)-optimized motor with copper shorting sleeve reduces gap induction and distortion, while its oversized pole vent allows for greater cooling.
STA-800D Sledge Amplifier: The PC12-Plus powered subwoofer employs a Sledge STA-800D amplifier with efficient and cool-running Class D topology. The amplifier is conservatively rated at 800 watts RMS and 2300 watts Peak. This amp features a highly advanced DSP & EQ processor offering unmatched control over the subwoofer at all volume levels, for distortion free bass.
LCD & Controller: There is a rear-panel 3-way knob and a two-line LCD that allow you to set the various functions and parameters of the PC12-Plus powered subwoofer.
- Volume: The Volume Control (-100 to 0dB) affects how loud the powered subwoofer plays. It should be adjusted to match the output level of your loudspeakers.
- Low Pass Filter: The Low Pass Filter sets the frequency and slope for the low frequencies that will be played by the powered subwoofer. Frequency choices include 31, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, and 125Hz. Two Slope choices are available; 12 dB per octave and 24 dB per octave. You can disable the Low Pass Filter, if your AV receiver features an LFE output and built-in bass management for the subwoofer.
- Phase Degree: The Phase Degree Function allows the adjustment of timing for the arrival of bass information from the subwoofer to the listening position. This allows for a finer degree of subwoofer integration with your main loudspeakers. The range of adjustment of this control is 0 to 10 milliseconds in 1 millisecond increments.
Room Correction: The SVS PC12-Plus powered subwoofer provides Room Compensation and P-EQ functions that help compensate for your room characteristics and boost the level of bass performance.
- Room Compensation: The Room Gain Compensation Function allows the subwoofer to be set to compensate for the increase in low frequency sound based upon the size of the room, if it is felt there is too much bass. Small rooms will have a greater increase in low frequency sound than larger rooms. There is no need to use this control unless it is felt there is too much low frequency energy being generated in the listening environment. This function operates by setting a corner frequency of 40Hz (small size rooms), 31Hz (medium size rooms), 25Hz (large size rooms) or Disabled (no compensation), and allows a target slope of either 6 dB per octave (first order) or 12 dB per octave (second order) roll off from the selected corner frequency.
- P-EQ Function: The P-EQ Function allows room environments that exaggerate certain bass frequencies to be reduced to by up to 12dB. Dips in frequency response can be boosted by up to 3dB. The result of a reduction tames "boominess" and "one note bass" phenomenon that occur when a narrow range of bass frequencies are significantly louder than surrounding frequencies. Boosting a dip can bring forward frequencies that are masked by normal levels around the dip. Available center frequencies include 31, 35, 40, 46, 50, 56, 63, 70, 80, 90, 100, 112, or 125Hz. Q values include 2.0, 2.4, 2.9, 3.6, 4.8, 5.7, 7.2, 9.6, or 14.4. The Level can then be adjusted from +3 to -12 dB in 1 dB increments.
Balanced & Unbalanced Connectivity: There are two types of input & output connectors on the PC12-Plus powered sub; Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA. There are Left/Right input and output channels for both types of connectors.
- Inputs: For a single mono input connection to a home theater receiver with an LFE output, use either the powered sub's left or right input. For stereo receivers without an LFE input, use both the L/R inputs. There is a switch below the input connectors labeled "Input Level". This switch can be used to select either consumer audio (Normal) or pro audio (Hi-Level) voltage levels depending on the source device.
- Outputs: The output connectors are typically used to daisy-chain additional subwoofers. The powered sub's outputs are unfiltered.
Placement Options: The cylinder cabinet's footprint lends itself to more placement options. Tucked in the corner, the PC12-Plus can deliver immense audio punch to movies and music played back at high levels. The cylinder style powered sub is right at home in space- and style-restricted rooms and home theaters, putting truly high end audio performance into a small footprint. If possible, place the subwoofer near the front stage, for best blending with the front and center loudspeaker channels.
- Corner Placement: Corner placement will accommodate most rooms and will reduce the chances for encountering a null (an acoustic cancellation in the bass response) at the listening position. If your AV receiver equalizes the subwoofer channel during auto-set-up, corner placement will often provide the best overall performance.
- Other Placement Options: If corner placement sound excessively boomy, then try moving the subwoofer to other available locations along the front stage, listening for the best balance of output and a smooth accurate response. Always redo the auto-set-up of your AV receiver after moving the subwoofer to a different location to ensure the acoustic distance and calibration level are set correctly.
- Dual Subs: To maximize the bass output and impact of your home theater, two PC12-Plus(s) can be paired; one on either side of your room.
Auto/Standby & On Switch: If this switch is set to "Auto/Standby", it will automatically turn-on the powered subwoofer in the presence of an audio signal. If no signal is present for a period of several minutes, the powered subwoofer will enter "Standby" mode, where power consumption will be less than 0.5 watts. If this switch is set to "On", the amplifier will remain on continuously and will not enter "Standby" mode.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
The performance of the PB12-Plus at a better price point, I also think the smaller footprint will be easier to deal with if my room configuration changes, I move, etc. [ EddieMac Jun 14, 2017 ]
Foot Print [ Rick May 11, 2017 ]
I have a pb 12 plus but needed a smaller footprint [ Christopher Jan 19, 2016 ]