Definitive Technology CS-9060
Center channel speaker with built-in powered subwoofer
| Watch a first-look video |
Crutchfield at CES: Definitive Technology BP9000 series speakers
From Definitive Technology: BP 9000 Series
Item # 735CS9060 | MFR # KEBA-A
$559.99 each Earn up to 560 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Ask an expert
Our VA-based experts can help.
Our take on the Definitive Technology CS-9060 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
How about a sub with that center?
As you'd expect, Definitive Technology's high-performance CS-9060 speaker delivers clear, detailed sound with your movie and TV show soundtracks. But it also delivers something else you might not expect — deep, powerful bass. That's because this talented speaker has a powered subwoofer built right into its compact cabinet! The CS-9060's 150-watt 8" powered subwoofer makes a huge difference, ensuring that movie dialogue and special effects have full bass impact, while also boosting your system's total bass output. You'll enjoy dynamic performance and a huge, three-dimensional soundstage from all three of your front speakers.
High-tech drivers for exceptionally detailed sound
The CS-9060 has two 4-1/2" midranges flanking a 1" dome tweeter, for perfectly blended highs and mids. The aluminum dome tweeter is heat-treated to relax the crystal structure of the metal, then attached to a silk surround to help produce crisp, sparkling highs without a trace of harshness. And thanks to Definitive's Balanced Double Surround System (BDSS) driver design, which places a surround on both the outer and inner edge of the speaker cone to help it remain more stable as it moves, movie dialogue and special effects will sound clear, never muddy.
Did you know?
Your new speakers will probably sound better after several weeks of use than they do right out of the box. That's because the material surrounding the woofers will loosen up, allowing the drivers to move more fully. Definitive Technology estimates a break-in period of 24 to 48 hours of playback before the speakers will deliver optimum sound quality. For more information and helpful tips, check out this article from Definitive's website about conditioning your speakers.
- built-in powered subwoofer with volume control
- Intelligent Bass Control provides precise bass level adjustments while maintaining accurate midrange tonal balance
- Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) driver technology places rubber surrounds on both the outer and inner edges of each speaker cone for improved control and clarity
- dual 4-1/2" BDSS midranges for clear, accurate dialogue
- one 1" annealed aluminum dome tweeter with silk surround for smooth, extended highs
- upward-firing 8" powered subwoofer with built-in 150-watt amplifier
- bass reflex (ported) cabinet design
- frequency response: 32-40,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 91 dB
- impedance: compatible with 8-ohm outputs
- recommended amplifier power: 50-300 watts
- one set of 5-way binding posts
- LFE line-level input (optional) for subwoofer
- speaker-level-only connections recommended for optimum performance
- LED illuminated front "D" logo (with rear-panel defeat switch)
- cloth grille-wrapped enclosure with aluminum trim rings
- 20-3/4"W x 6"H x 12"D
- warranty: 5 years speaker, 3 years electronics
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Center-channel loudspeaker
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
- "What Obsession Sounds Like" card
Replaced 25+ year old Klipsch center. Amazing sound! Built in powered sub in center channel - seeet!
Scott, Johnson City, TN
Definitive Technology CS-9060 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||4-1/2|
|Connector Type||5-way post, RCA|
|Frequency Response||32-40k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Center-Channel Loudspeaker: The Definitive Technology CS9060 center-channel loudspeaker delivers immense clarity and focus to the vocal range, accurately reproducing even the most demanding audio soundtrack content so you can experience every detail of your home theater. An aluminum dome tweeter, high-performance midrange BDSS drivers, and an integrated powered subwoofer with Intelligent Bass Control let you hear and feel every note as the artist intends.
Aluminum Dome Tweeter: The CS9060 center-channel loudspeaker features one 1" aluminum dome tweeters for crystal clear highs that bring the most demanding audio soundtracks to life. The Definitive Technology tweeter is designed to play higher in frequency than what is heard by the human ear, creating an authentic reproduction of sound as the artist intends in the studio or concert hall.
BDSS (2nd Gen) Drivers: The Definitive Technology CS9060 employs two 4.5" midrange cone woofers with patented Balanced Double Surround System (BDSS) technology (2nd generation). BDSS technology improves driver excursion which results in the selected driver producing bass output usually associated with a larger driver, while retaining the improved dispersion and midrange definition of a smaller driver.
Integrated Powered Subwoofer: The CS9060 contains a integrated powered subwoofer that consists of a top-firing 8" woofer and 150 watt amplifier designed to extend the frequency response and dynamic range of the center-channel speaker. The best loudspeaker is one that reproduces balance between the highest highs down to deepest lows as accurately as possible. The integrated powered subwoofer offers deeper, more impactful bass from the center channel speaker without the need to add a separate powered sub.
Intelligent Bass Control: Intelligent Bass Control is Definitive Technology's latest advancement that offers enhanced bass while maintaining overall mid-range tonal balance. Intelligent Bass Control gives you the ability to modulate deep bass up or down in level while simultaneously maintaining optimal mid-range clarity regardless of where the bass control is set. Simply rotate the dial on the back of the loudspeaker to your preferred bass setting and the speaker will do the rest. Definitive Technology recommends starting at the mid-point and then adjust to your preference from there.
Bass Port: The CS9060 center-channel speaker utilizes a rear-firing slot sport for higher efficiency and deeper bass.
Acoustically Transparent, Resonance-Free Cabinet: The Definitive Technology CS9060 uses a resonance-free cabinet for high performance, distortion-free sound. The speaker cabinet's maximum rigidity with strategically placed bracing improves imaging while reducing resonance, further reinforcing the speaker's clean and powerful sound. The CS9060 loudspeaker's cabinet is wrapped in an acoustically transparent cloth grille for unaltered sound. Thanks to the speaker's acoustically transparent grille, you'll enjoy the subtle elegance of the speaker design without having to remove a speaker grille to enjoy natural, uncolored sound.
Speaker & Line Level Inputs: The Definitive Technology CS9060 center-channel loudspeaker is fitted with both speaker-level (binding post) and line-level (LFE/mono-RCA) inputs.
- Binding Post Terminals: The speaker terminals are 5-way binding posts that will accommodate spade connectors, single or dual banana plugs, pin-connectors, and bare wire up to 10 gauge. By connecting the center-channel speaker-level inputs to your AV receiver's center-channel speaker output, the CS9060's internal crossover network distributes all frequencies to their intended drivers, and the integrated subwoofer works harmoniously with the mid-range array. In your AV receiver's menu, set the Center-Channel to "Large" and Subwoofer to "No".
- LFE/mono-RCA Input: For those you demand greater customization, the CS9060 also features an LFE/mono-RCA input. In this setup, your AV receiver's center-channel speaker outputs still connect to the CS9060's binding post speaker terminals, but also requires that the center-channel pre-out of your AV receiver to be connected to the center-channel speaker's LFE/mono-RCA input. This type of setup gives you the ability to control the amount of low frequencies (those below the crossover point set in your receiver) sent to the integrated subwoofer. Definitive Technology highly recommends setting the center channel speaker to "Small", subwoofer to "Yes", and the crossover point in your receiver to 80Hz or below to avoid disturbing the delicate blending between the subwoofer and midrange. In addition, careful balance between the subwoofer output level of your receiver and the bass control on the back of your speaker should be considered (Definitive Technology recommends starting with the bass control at 12 o'clock). Do not connect the center-channel's line-level input to your receiver's LFE output; the center-channel speakers are not designed to be a dedicated subwoofer.
Note: Definitive Technology recommends that you do not use your receiver's auto setup functions, as they can be ineffective in setting up and adjusting speakers with integrated powered subwoofers. Configure this center-channel speaker into your home theater system using your AV receiver's manual setup menu.
AC Power: Because the CS9060 features a built-in powered subwoofer, you will need to connect the center-channel speaker to an AC outlet. The center-channel's built-in amplifier will automatically turn-on once it's receiving an active signal from your AV receiver and will automatically turn off/standby after 20 minutes of no active signal.
Front-Panel LED: There is a front-panel LED "D" logo which illuminates when the CS9060's built-in amplifier is on, and turns off when the built-in amp is in standby. The LED "D" logo can be deactivated entirely.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Definitive Technology center-channel loudspeaker can be placed on top of a flat-surface; such as a stand, shelf, cabinet or other piece of AV furniture. Integrated rubber feet make sure the speaker stays in place and does not scratch your furniture. To optimize its performance, please follow these simple guidelines.
- The center-channel speaker should be placed as close to the center of your television as possible without obstructing your view.
- To receive the full benefit of the built-in powered sub, leave at least 1-2" of space between the top of the speaker and any surface.
Note: This center-channel speaker does not offer wall-mount compatibility.
BP9000 Series: The CS9060 is part of Definitive Technology's BP9000 series line-up of speakers. Definitive Technology's BP9000 series loudspeakers is its 4th generation of bipolar tower speakers, matching center channels, surrounds, and a height speaker module, designed to offer true, full-range performance for listeners seeking the highest quality audio reproduction. The BP9000 series of loudspeakers consists of the BP9020, BP9040, BP9060 and BP9080X bipolar tower speakers; the CS9040, CS9060 and CS9080 center-channel speakers; the SR9040 and SR9080 surround speakers; and the A90 elevation speaker module supporting Dolby Atmos.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Most highly rated and best customer-reviewed speakers for home theatre applications that are not in the "I just won the lottery!" category (i.e. $10k per speaker). I Have DefTech ProCenter and ProMonitor speakers in another room, excellent performers for their small size. Finally, sale price and free matching center channel make this an insanely-good, no-brainer purchase. [ CHARLES F Oct 10, 2018 ]
The reviews and the recommendations made by the Crutchfield staff. The sale price sure helped my decision also. [ Stanley Aug 20, 2018 ]
Powered sub built in to center channel. [ Scott May 28, 2018 ]
I have a small media room so I Don't need the top of the line [ Robert Mar 09, 2018 ]
HAVE HAD GREAT PERFORMANCE SUCCESS THROUGH THE YEARS WITH DT PRODUCTS [ John Oct 22, 2017 ]
Currently have an 8 year old Def Tech center channel speaker. Upgrading whole system to Def Tech speakers (7.1 channels). [ Joe Dec 17, 2016 ]
Good reviews, great deal with free center channel! [ travis Dec 16, 2016 ]
Excellent Sounding!" [ JAMES Oct 31, 2016 ]
Definitive Technology is the leader when it comes to quality speakers with integrated powered subwoofers. For my current setup, having a clear, high quality center channel with ample bass output is critical. I intend to match this with a pair of BP-9060's for a matched front soundstage. [ Martin Sep 30, 2016 ]
Great company-Def. Tech.-the CS-9060 is just as awesum as my BD-9020 speakers also from Def.Tech. [ David Aug 21, 2016 ]
4 questions already asked
Yes. The speaker terminals are 5-way binding posts that will accommodate spade connectors, single or dual banana plugs, pin-connectors, and bare wire up to 10 gauge. You will find this information, and more, by clicking the "Details" tab on the speaker's main webpage and scrolling down below the "Features & Specs" table. I hope that helps. My Bio: https://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Ryan [ Ryan Nov 07, 2017 ] Staff
1 answer I'm planning a 3.1 system for TV/home theater. I'm looking at the new DefTech D7 bookshelves for LR channels. And this for the C. Will it work for my .1 and will I be happy with it as such, or should I get the smaller DT center and get a separate sub? Smaller but with best sound in a small package is my objective.l [ D Oct 26, 2017 ]
Honestly, I don't feel I am qualified to answer this question. I would encourage you to call Definitive Technology yourself and talk to them directly. They were so wonderful, and supportive for me when I researched tons of different brands for my home theatre. I am VERY pleased with my 9060 setup, and SC6000, and the friendly customer service at Definitive Technology have always been honest, top notch, and wouldn't hesitate to call them. Good luck! [ Jeff Oct 26, 2017 ]
That shouldn't be an issue for you--Definitive recommends leaving at least 1-2" of space between the top of the CS-9060 and any surface above it; but there aren't any clearance considerations for the back of the speaker and any object behind it. I hope that helps! [ Larry Feb 14, 2017 ] Staff
The cs-9060 is not shielded. Definitive tech told me that only the old tube tv's could be a problem. [ Jim Jan 04, 2017 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Enjoy more nuanced mids and bass
The Definitive Technology CS-9080 offers these features:
larger, dual 5-1/4" mid/bass drivers
an 8" subwoofer with a 10" passive radiator powered by a built-in 300-watt amplifier for intense bass
bass response down to 24 Hz
Frequently Compared With
Definitive Technology CS-9060
Center channel speaker with built-in powered subwoofer
Definitive Technology CS-9040
Center channel speaker
Wharfedale Reva C
Center channel speaker$699.99 each
Definitive Technology CS-9080
Center channel speaker with built-in powered subwoofer