7.2-channel receiver with Bluetooth®. Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X™
Our take on the Sony STR-DH790 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Immersive home theater plus easy wireless music streaming
If you're looking for powerful sound from an affordable home theater receiver, the Sony STR-DH790 is a great choice. Got a 4K TV? This 7.2-channel receiver is ready for the latest Ultra HD content. Built-in Bluetooth gives you tons of options for streaming music from a compatible device. And Dolby Atmos and DTS:X decoding delivers 360-degree surround sound for the most lifelike movie experience you can have at home.
Cinematic sound for any space
This value-packed receiver supports a 7.1 surround sound setup or a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup. Sony's Digital Cinema Auto Calibration system (DCAC) ensures optimal sound in any room. The included setup microphone measures your room's acoustics, allowing the receiver to adjust itself to your speakers and space.
Flexible speaker configuration options for the sound you want
The STR-DH790 gives you several different options for setting up your speakers. Even if you're starting with a pair of stereo speakers, you can still enjoy immersive surround sound effects thanks to Sony's front surround sound technology.
With seven speakers, you can choose whether you want to use the sixth and seventh channels for Surround Back or Front High speakers. Alternatively, you can use those channels to power a set of "B" speakers in another room. If you're happy with a five-speaker setup, you can bi-amp a pair of compatible front speakers for fuller, more detailed sound.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 90 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos® processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping surround sound
- DTS:X™ for an immersive, 3-dimensional soundstage
- S-Force Pro front surround lets you enjoy virtual surround sound effects using only two front speakers
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for easy, accurate speaker setup
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from a compatible smartphone, tablet, or computer
- HDMI 2.0a audio/video switching: 4 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (all HDMI inputs and monitor out)
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
- 4 analog stereo audio inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- outputs for seven speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)
- Surround Back channel outputs can also be used as Front High or Front B speakers, or to bi-amp compatible Front speakers
- 1/4" headphone jack
- rear-panel USB port (power supply only)
- 3D and 4K HDMI pass-through
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- BRAVIA Sync for one-remote operation with compatible Sony components
- 30 FM presets (no AM tuner)
- remote control
- 17"W x 5-1/4"H x 11-3/4"D
- weight: 16 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AA401U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Auto-calibration microphone
- FM wire antenna
- Operating Instructions
- Startup Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration Information
- "Before connecting speakers" sheet
Sony STR-DH790 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
7-Channel Discrete Amplification: The Sony STR-DH790's discrete 7-channel amplifier delivers high power and quality sound. It is rated at 90 watts (into 8Ω, @ 20-20kHz, with THD 0.0%, driving 2 channels). The power amplifier uses a glass-epoxy circuit board for reduced vibration and distortion, giving clear, high power from each of the discreet amplifiers. Every component in the STR-DH790 has been designed for detail and clarity.
- Reinforced Metal Chassis: A reinforced frame and beam chassis design reduces transmitted vibration from speaker sound pressure for more focused, powerful sound. The metal framework and heat sink bracket shield the circuits from sound pressure and radiation, for high-rigidity and clearer sound quality.
- Large Capacity Transformer & Specially Designed Heat Sink: The stereo receiver utilizes a large capacity power transformer built for clarity. The heat sink is specially designed to maximize air intake, keeping the amplifier circuit cool to reduce distortion and increase reliability
Amp Assignment: The AV receiver's Surround Back amplifier channels can be configured to accommodate your type of home theater setup.
- Surround Back: Allows you to enjoy high-fidelity reproduction of Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD (High-Resolution Audio or Master Audio) with 7.1 channel surround, using the Surround Back speaker channels.
- Dolby Atmos: Setup a 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos system using the receiver's Surround Back amplifier channels to power a pair of Dolby Atmos top middle or front speakers.
- Front Bi-Amp: If you are not using the Surround Back/Front Height at all, you can connect them to your front speakers using a bi-amplifier connection (if applicable). This provides even better sound quality from your front speakers. Your home theater setup will be limited to 5.1ch.
- B-Speakers: If you are only connecting a 5.1ch speaker system, you can use the Surround Back/Front Height amp channels as a Speaker B output, allowing you to place a pair of speakers in another room of the house. Speaker B can be played at the same time of Speaker A, or by itself. Speaker B uses the same volume control and source input as Speaker A.
Advanced DCAC (Digital Cinema Auto Calibration) + APM (Automatic Phase Matching): Advanced Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC) automatically optimizes sound based on where you sit in relation to your speakers, to help give you the best from your home theater system. The included microphone plugs into the receiver's front-panel 3.5mm mic input and then automatically checks for speaker connections, adjusts the speaker output levels, calculates the distance from each speaker to the listening position, and distinguishes frequency characteristics of each speaker. Automatic Phase Matching aligns the phase characteristics of your speakers to the front left and right speaker channels, so they all work perfectly together to deliver a more effective surround sound experience.
Note: You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP) & Supported Digital Audio Formats: The STR-DH790 incorporates three powerful DSPs that support the latest surround sound formats and ensures the highest accuracy in the decoding of a variety of Dolby Digital, DTS, DSD & PCM audio formats. The digital audio formats that this receiver can decode depend on the digital audio output jacks of the connected device. This receiver supports the following audio formats -
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI (4 Inputs/1 Output)||High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24, DTS Express|
|Linear PCM||2ch to 8ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|DSD||2-6ch, 2.8MHz, 1-bit|
|Optical (1)/Coaxial (1)||Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|2Ch Linear PCM||2ch to 6ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bita|
Immersive Surround Sound: The Sony STR-DH790 AV receiver goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats - including Dolby Atmos, Dolby Surround, DTS:X, and DTS Neural:X.
- Dolby Atmos: With Dolby Atmos, sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. The STR-DH790 has the processing power to run a more enveloping 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos layout utilizing ceiling mounted or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (sold separately). A 5.1.2ch speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch or multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space.
- DTS Neural:X: DTS Neural:X will be enabled through an online firmware update coming later this year. DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
Direct Stream Digital (DSD): Enjoy studio-quality sound thanks to the Direct Stream Digital (DSD) audio codec; designed specifically for High-Resolution Audio. This 1-bit format utilizes a stream of very high frequency 1s and 0s to recreate audio waveforms at a higher resolution than conventional codecs. The result is clearer, crisper, High-Resolution Audio quality. The STR-DH790 supports DSD 2.8 MHz (up to 5.1ch) decoding thru HDMI.
HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD-D.C.S): HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD-D.C.S.) is Sony's new innovative home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio. With this mode, you are able to enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies at home with not only the high quality of sound, but also the best sound ambience, just as the movie's sound engineer intended in the mastering process. Select between the following HD-D.C.S modes -
- For Movies:
- Dynamic: This setting is suitable for an environment which is reverberant but lacks a spacious feel (where sound absorption is not sufficient). It emphasizes the reflection of sound and reproduces the sound of a large, classic movie theater. This emphasizes the spacious feel of a dubbing theater and creates a unique acoustic field.
- Theater: This setting is suitable for a general living room. It reproduces the reverberation of sound just like in a movie theater (dubbing theater). It is most appropriate for watching content recorded on a Blu-ray Disc when you want the atmosphere of a movie theater.
- Studio: This setting is suitable for a living room with the appropriate sound devices. It reproduces the reverberation of sound provided when a theatrical sound source is remixed for a Blu-ray Disc to a volume level suitable for home use. The level of reflection and reverberation of sound is kept to a minimum, while dialogues and surround effects are reproduced vividly.
- For Music:
- Hall: Reproduces the acoustics of a classical concert hall.
- Jazz Club: Reproduces the acoustics of a jazz club.
- Live Concert: Reproduces the acoustics of a 300-seat live house.
- Stadium: Reproduces the feel of a large open-air stadium.
- Sports: Reproduces the feel of sports broadcasting.
- Audio Enhancer: Reproduces clear enhanced sound from your portable audio device. This mode is ideal for MP3s and other compressed music.
Stereo Modes: The STR-DH790 provides a 2-channel stereo mode, multichannel stereo mode, and a headphone 2ch mode.
- 2-Channel Stereo: Plays back 2-channel audio signals without adding any surround effect. Monaural and multi-channel audio signals are output after being converted into a 2-channel signal.
- Multi-Channel Stereo: When 2-channel or monaural audio signals are input, the receiver outputs sound from all speakers without adding any surround effect. When multi-channel audio signals are input, sound may not be output from certain speakers depending on the speaker settings or playback content.
- Headphone 2ch: Plays back 2-channel audio signals without adding any surround effect. Sound from monaural and multichannel audio signals are output after being converted into a 2-channel signal (this mode is automatically selected when listening to headphones).
Direct Modes: The receiver's Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active. To further enhance sound quality, the receiver's Pure Direct mode not only bypasses the tone and DSP processing, but also turns off the front-panel display to suppress any noise which may affect sound quality.
Audio Enhancements: The Sony STR-DH790 offers a variety of audio enhancements to help tailor the sound to your listening application.
- Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass & treble level) of the front speakers from -6dB to +6dB, in 1dB steps.
- S-Force Pro Front Surround: Ideal for smaller rooms, S-Force PRO Front Surround delivers a virtual surround acoustic field using only two front speakers.
- Night Mode: This function allows you to retain a theater like environment at low volume levels. When watching a movie late at night, you will still be able to hear the dialog clear even at a low volume level.
- DRC (Dynamic Range Compressor): This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
- TV Volume Offset: If the level of the TV sound output from speakers connected to the receiver is lower than that of other devices connected to the receiver, you can increase the TV output sound level. This function works when you connect a TV compatible with the Audio Return Channel (ARC) function to the HDMI TV Out jack, or connect a TV to the Optical In jack or Audio TV In jacks.
Audio Outputs: The Sony STR-DH790 is fitted with the following audio outputs.
- Speaker Terminals: The receiver is equipped with binding post terminals for the front speaker outputs and spring-clip terminals for the center, surround, and surround back speaker outputs. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10 AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only). The spring-clip terminals will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG) and pin-connectors. Use speakers with a 6- to 16-ohm impedance.
- Dual Sub Outputs: The AV receiver is fitted with two subwoofer preamp outputs to connect dual powered subs (the subwoofer outputs share the same input signal and are not discrete).
- Front-Panel Headphone Jack: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
HDMI 2.0a: The receiver is equipped with four HDMI 2.0a inputs and one HDMI 2.0a monitor output for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video component; such as your satellite/cable receiver, Blu-ray/DVD player, and game system; plus your TV. The receiver's HDMI 2.0a jacks are compatible with 4K/60Hz video, 4:4:4 color subsampling, HDR (High Dynamic Range) & BT.2020 video, & HDCP 2.2.
- 4K/60Hz Pass-Through: 4K/60Hz pass-through allows the Sony STR-DH790 to receive ultra high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K/60Hz compatible TV or display monitor. It will also pass a 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video signal.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the receiver's HDMI jacks. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The receiver's HDMI jacks support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4 color subsampling for more vibrant and lifelike images, as well as YCbCr 4:2:2 and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling. With 4:4:4, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: When you use high bandwidth video formats (such as 4K/60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4K/60p 4:2:0 10-bit), be sure to set the HDMI signal format to "ENHANCED".
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma): HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses not metadata, Dolby Vision adjusts brightness, color, and contrast automatically for each scene. Dynamic metadata carries information that maps every image to your TV's display capabilities, so you see more of what the content creator intended.
Note: Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
Other HDMI Features: Other HDMI features of the Sony STR-DH790 receiver include 3D video, HDMI Standby Pass-Through, A/V Sync, and ARC.
- 3D-Ready: The Sony AV receiver supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver.
- AV Sync: The audio output can be delayed (60ms) so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large flat-panel TV or a projection screen.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
No Analog Video Inputs/Outputs: The Sony STR-DH790 contains no analog composite or component video inputs/ outputs.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Sony STR-DH790 features built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for A2DP 1.2 and AVRCP 1.6. You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device (smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc.) to the stereo receiver. You can pair up to ten devices with the Sony STR-DH790, but only one can be connected and used for playback at a time. The STR-DH790 has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 98.4'.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the STR-DH790 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the AV receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Playback Control: You'll be able to control Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Stop functions from the included IR remote. Advanced music browsing will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth source device.
- Bluetooth Standby: With Bluetooth Standby, you can even turn the AV receiver on from your paired smartphone or tablet.
Note: The STR-DH790 does not display song/artist/album information on its front-panel LCD screen or your HDMI-connected TV; continue to use your Bluetooth source device's screen to view song/artist info.
FM Tuner: The Sony STR-DH790 AV receiver is equipped with a built-in FM tuner with 30 digital presets, station naming (up to 8 characters), and auto tuning. You can switch between Stereo & Mono mode. An FM wire antenna is included. This receiver is not equipped with an AM tuner.
On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Wizard (via HDMI): You can display the receiver's on-screen menu on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. You can easily access and manage your input devices and settings with this intuitive 5-panel "activity based" on-screen menu. The STR-DH790 on-screen, set-up wizard will take you through everything you need to create and control your home theater experience.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
On-Screen Menu (via HDMI): You can display the menu of the receiver on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control.
IR Remote + Bravia Sync: The supplied IR remote provides wireless operation Sony's Bravia Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you play content on a device (such as a Blu-ray player) connected to the receiver; the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically, the input of the receiver is switched to the input of the device being played, and sound is output from the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Audio Control: If you turn on the receiver while you are watching a connected TV, the TV sound will be output from the speakers connected to the receiver. The volume of the receiver can be adjusted using the TV remote control. When you turn on the TV, the receiver is turned on automatically and the TV sound is output from the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: You can automatically turn off the receiver and any device connected to the HDMI jack when you turn off your TV.
Input Mode: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch.
Input Name: You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner & Bluetooth) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
USB Charging Port: There is a rear-panel USB-A (5V/1A) port that can be used to charge the battery of your smartphone or other USB-enabled portable device.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 20 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
Software Update: By downloading the latest version of software from Sony, you can take advantage of the newest functions. Software updates are done via USB. Visit the Sony eSupport website for the latest software updates.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Have had the best luck with Sony receivers in the past and the price was right. [ Jason Nov 16, 2018 ]
I have the previous models in the STR series and they are fantastic! Easy to use and good quality. [ Jerome Nov 03, 2018 ]
This Sony has all the features at an affordable price. [ William Oct 04, 2018 ]
Price and Sony equals reliability. [ Robert May 15, 2018 ]
Price! [ Thomas May 12, 2018 ]
4 questions already asked
"If you are only connecting a 5.1ch speaker system, you can use the Surround Back/Front Height amp channels as a Speaker B output, allowing you to place a pair of speakers in another room of the house. Speaker B can be played at the same time of Speaker A, or by itself. Speaker B uses the same volume control and source input as Speaker A." You will find this information, and more, by clicking the "Details" tab on the Sony's main webpage and scrolling down below the "Features & Specs" table. [ Ryan Sep 06, 2018 ] Staff
Hi, no. It's only have Bluetooth available. However if you need to update the firmware you can do it downloading the firmware via the manufacturer website and update it via usb. [ -RGC- Aug 10, 2018 ]
The STR-DH790 supports Dolby Vision out of the box. [ Ryan Jun 13, 2018 ] Staff
You can update the firmware for the Sony STR-DH790 as it comes available via the USB port. You'd simply download the update from Sony's site, and save it to a USB thumbdrive that you would then connect & upload to the receiver. Hope that helps! [ Larry Jun 06, 2018 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
7.2-channel receiver with Bluetooth®. Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X™
5.2-channel home theater receiver with Bluetooth®
Denon AVR-X1400H IN-Command
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Dolby Atmos®, Apple® AirPlay® 2, and HEOS
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X