High-resolution portable music player with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®
Item # 130XDP300R | MFR # XDP-300R-B
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Pioneer XDP-300R by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Portable sound for serious music lovers
The Pioneer XDP-300R can handle high-res audio from just about any source and reproduce it with remarkable accuracy and detail. Load it up with your FLAC, WAV, and AIFF files for high-end sound on the go. The player can also decode MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) streaming audio — the high-res format used by TIDAL's subscription service — to deliver all the detail of the original recording. The XDP-300R has both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi built-in, for access to a wide variety of music streaming sources.
Dual DACs and headphone amps for uncompromising digital sound quality
The XDP-300R combines two high-performance ESS Sabre digital-to-analog converters (DACs) with two ESS Sabre 9601K headphone amplifiers. If you have high-performance headphones with a 2.5mm balanced connection, you can use the player's balanced output to take full advantage of this dual DAC/amp setup for superior sound. Or you can use the standard unbalanced 3.5mm headphone output.
You'll enjoy spacious, clear sound with well-defined bass whether you're using high-performance headphones or just a pair of entry-level models. Even compressed formats like MP3 will sound better through the XDP-300R's advanced processors.
The player's 4.7" color touchscreen is simple to navigate. It displays artist and title info as well as album artwork. Basic control buttons along the side of the player let you operate the XDP-300R without having to turn on the screen, which can help save power. An analog volume wheel lets you make minute adjustments to the volume level.
Wi-Fi for more music
Built-in Wi-Fi lets the player wirelessly connect to the internet, so you can access a world of music from services like TIDAL, Spotify®, and Pandora®. You'll hear a remarkable difference if you subscribe to their high-quality streams. And you can download high-resolution audio from sites such as Onkyo Music and HDtracks.
Stream near-CD quality audio with Bluetooth
The XDP-300R has built-in Bluetooth with high-performance aptX® audio coding. This lets you stream near-CD quality audio to compatible wireless speakers and headphones. The player's ideal for use with high-performance wireless powered speakers, such as the Audioengine B2 or the MartinLogan Crescendo.
High-res music files can take up a lot of memory, but that's not a problem with the XDP-300R. It comes with 32GB of internal memory and has dual microSDHC card slots. Each slot can accept a 200GB card, giving you a maximum capacity of 432GB.
- plays MP3, MQA, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, and AIFF
- plays Direct Stream Digital (DSD) files (.dff and .dsf formats up to 2.8MHz resolution)
- DSD files are converted to PCM for playback
- plays H.263, H.264 AVC, H.265 HEVC, MPEG-4, VP8 and VP9 video
- displays JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, and WebP images
- dual ESS Sabre® ES9018K2M 32-bit/192kHz DACs for bit-perfect playback of high-resolution audio files
- dual ESS Sabre® 9601K headphone amplifiers for clean, powerful sound via the balanced or unbalanced headphone outputs
- balanced 2.5mm 4-pole output supports the more standard Balanced (BTL) drive as well as the more esoteric ACG (Active Control GND) drive
- unbalanced 3.5mm 3-pole output for standard headphones
- Bluetooth with aptX audio coding for high-fidelity streaming with compatible devices
- built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- Android™ OS 5.1 with Google Play™
- direct download for high-resolution audio files from OnkyoMusic.com
- streams internet videos from sources like YouTube
- built-in internet browser
- 32GB internal flash memory
- dual 200GB microSDXC card slots for cards up to 400GB
- 4.7" color touchscreen
- analog volume wheel provides fine level adjustments
- built-in rechargeable battery provides up to 16 hours of playback
- high-speed USB interface (cable included) for drag-and-drop file transfer and battery charging
- output impedance: 16-300 ohms
- total harmonic distortion: 0.006% (1kHz)
- frequency response: 20-80,000 Hz
- 3"W x 5-3/16"H x 1/2"D
- weight: 7.05 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- High-resolution portable audio player
- 40" microUSB-to-USB cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
- "Wi-Fi and Bluetooth function" note
- "Equipment Name" sheet
- Onkyo Music brochure
Great sound. Battery life is a little short at 6 hours. Nice interface but for a music device I do not need the full android features.
Anonymous, Rockford, IL
Pioneer XDP-300R Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
High-Resolution Portable Audio Player: The Pioneer XDP-300R is a high-resolution portable audio player for the audiophile that wants great sound in the palm of his or her hand. With the increased availability of audio formats mastered in higher than CD quality audio, discerning listeners increasingly demand a playback device to support them. The XDP-300R Hi-Res Digital Audio Player delivers the finest engineering for high resolutions audio in a handheld device
Audiophile Grade Design: Pioneer's years of engineering experience and excellence are combined in the compact portable high-resolution audio player.
- Dual ESS Sabre DAC & Amps: Two top-class DACs with separate channels (ESS SABRE ES9018) are ready to transform high-resolution PCM with a resolution as high as 24bit/384kHz, DSD with an up to quadruple data rate (11.2MHz), and MQA files into natural, extremely low-noise sound. ESS chips are also used as output amplifiers in order to incite the highest performance in even the most demanding headsets; the two SABRE9601K chips drive the most challenging loads with high efficiency and a sound that truly does justice to ultra-high-resolution recordings.
- Independent Audio Circuit Board: Converter and output stages are mounted on an entirely separate PCB for optimum low interference. Within the DAC & AMP board, the audio circuitry and switching power are distanced as far as physically possible to limit the effects of noise. The DAC & AMP have their own capacitors to provide a clean audio signal with its closed loop design. Attention was made to circuit design to keep digital noise from getting in between you and your music
Two Types Of Balanced Drives (BTL & ACG): Balanced output via the 2.5mm 4-pole jack supports the more standard balanced (BTL) drive as well as the more esoteric Active Control Ground (ACG) drive. ACG drive is a different form of balanced drive where the amp's cold side actively drives to create an ideally stable GND. Power gains and increased sound separation increase stability for a clean signal and greater sound clarity, especially compared to unbalanced drive.
- BTL (Balanced): A mode suitable for when you have connected balanced headphones. Compared to the normal single-ended operation, you can get a larger output and the high voltage is not grounded together with the small signal, so you can anticipate a superior effect in the background of the music. Because you get a larger output, you can drive headphones with a higher impedance.
- ACG (Active Control Ground): A mode suitable for when you have connected balanced headphones. The basic operating method is the same as the balanced mode, but uses technology to even more forcefully fix grounding standards, so you can enjoy a sound quality with improved clarity and more stability than the balanced mode. Output volume is the same as the regular single-ended operation, however.
Compatible Music Files: The Pioneer XDP-300R portable player supports a variety of hi res and low res music files - including MQA, DSD, & FLAC.
- Hi Res Music Files: MQA (24-bit), DSD/DSF/DSDIFF (2.8/5.6/11.2MHz), FLAC (up to 384kHz), WAV (up to 384kHz), ALAC, (up to 384kHz), AIFF (up to 384kHz), and OGG-Vorbis (up to 192kHz),
- Low Res Music Files: MP3 (up to 48kHz) and AAC (up to 48kHz)
MQA Technology: Pioneer's XDP-300R is the industry's first portable high-resolution player to support the Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) lossless audio standard. MQA is a revolutionary end-to-end technology that captures and delivers master quality audio in a file that's small enough to stream or download. And because it's fully authenticated, the listener can be sure they are hearing exactly what the artist recorded and approved in the studio. MQA is also backward compatible with the FLAC format and can thus be played on any FLAC-compatible device
Upsampling & Conversion: The Pioneer XDP-300R has the ability to upsample & upconvert your digital music library to make it sound even better through its microUSB-B/OTG digital output (not analog output).
- Hi-Res Upsampling: The XDP-300R upsamples 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k, 96k, 176.4k, and 192k music files up to 352.8/384kHz through its microUSB-B/OTG digital output (not analog output). Enjoy all your digital music content upsampled to Hi-Res audio quality.
- DSD Conversion: Turn on "Real-Time DSD Conversion" and the DP-X1 converts music files such as MP3, WAV, and FLAC into DSD-quality audio through its microUSB-B/OTG digital output (not analog output). Use of oversampling and pushing bit quantization outside the audible spectrum allows for very clear audio signals. 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k, 96k, 176.4k, 192k, 352.8k, and 384k music files can be converted to DSD 2.8/5.6Mhz.
Android Operating System: With Android Lollipop 5.1.1 OS as the operating platform, you can access the Google Play Store and variety of online music apps, as well as sync your existing iTunes library. From The Google Play Store you have access to many apps like Tidal, Spotify, & Pandora for almost endless music streaming and downloading resources.
Onkyo Music: The OnkyoMusic is a leading hi-res digital music provider that offers the latest music releases and remastered albums in hi-res (FLAC or MQA) for beyond-CD quality audio. FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is an audio format that compresses audio without any loss in quality. MQA delivers superior audio with dramatically improved music detail for studio-grade sound in a portable device. Install the OnkyoMusic app and there is no need to sync with a home computer. Music can be purchased and downloaded directly from the app within the XDP-300R portable digital audio player.
32GB Internal Storage + microSD Expandable: The 32GB internal SSD storage and optional two microSD card slots provide ample space for all of your favorite high-resolution audio files. The player supports microSD microSDHC, and microSDXC memory cards. Each memory card can be a maximum of 200GB for 400GB of expandable memory. The unit's Android OS takes up approximately 12GB of space, leaving 20GB of internal storage; for a maximum storage of 420GB. The internal memory can hold up to 4,000 MP3 music tracks or 100 FLAC lossless 24-bit/192kHz music tracks.
4.7" Capacitive Touchscreen: With its 4.7" high-definition 1280x720 pixel capacitive touchscreen LCD, you can easily navigate to frequently used playlists and EQ settings with the intuitive, easy-to-use interface. The capacitive touch screen incorporates a GUI that allows for swiping vertically between your often accessed playlists and equalizer settings at the flick of your finger. There is also a selectable GUI to display full color album art and rearranging of the button layout to the lower half of the screen for easier one handed operation.
- Home Screen: You can put shortcuts for apps and widgets on the Home Screen, customizing it to suit yourself. You can also change the wallpaper background of the Home Screen.
- Library Display: The Library screen displays a list of tracks synched with your stored music. Lists can be categories by song, artist, genre, playlist, format, composer, or compilations. You can scroll these lists via the unit's touchscreen controls.
- Play Screen: The Play Screen provides song/artist/album information, album art thumbnail, elapsed playing time, as well as file format and sampling frequency. From the Play Screen you can also access the unit's touchscreen playback controls; like Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random.
Note: In addition to touchscreen control, there is a rotary volume dial, as well as push-button Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track controls on the side-panel.
Wired & Wireless Connectivity: With its 2.5mm/4-pole balanced output, 3.5mm/3-pole headphone jack, micro USB-B/OTG digital output, and wireless playback options, the XDP-300R offers plenty of ways to enjoy music.
- Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Outputs: The Pioneer XDP-300R is fitted with a 2.5mm/4-pole balanced output (32-600Ω) and 3.5mm/3-pole headphone jack (16-300Ω) for connecting a set of headphones or external audio equipment.
- microUSB-B/OTG Digital Port: The XDP-300R's microUSB port lets you connect a headphone amplifier or D/A converter, that has a USB connector. You will need a USB OTG cable (sold separately) to connect to this unit. Make sure you have the correct type of USB cable for the USB port of the device you are connecting to the OTG cable. If it is a microUSB port, you can use the USB cable included with this unit.
- WiFi & WiFi Direct: The XDP-300R features built-in WiFi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac), plus WiFi Direct (via free update) that enables the device to connect to your home's network and the internet in order to access Google Play, plus stream audio wirelessly to network audio speaker systems.
- Bluetooth w/ aptX: You can listen to music wirelessly by using Bluetooth enabled devices, such as headphones or speakers. The coverage area is about 33'. This unit also supports aptX, so you can enjoy higher quality wireless sound by connecting headphones and wireless speakers that support aptX.
X-DAP Link Software: Using X-DAP LINK Software for Windows PC or Mac and the XDP-100R's microUSB port, you can copy music data stored on your computer to the hi-res player's built-in memory or to an inserted microSD card. The X-DAP Link software is smart enough to look into your existing libraries (iTunes for example) to give you easy access, so you can easily store and manage all of your non-DRM (Digital Rights Management) music in one convenient location for download to the XDP-300R via USB.
- Windows: compatible with 7 (32-bit/64-bit), 8 (32-bit/64-bit), 10 (32-bit/64-bit)
- Mac: compatible with OSX Yosemite (10.10), El Capitan (10.11)
Customized Sound: The Pioneer XDP-300R lets you bring out individual instruments, focus on vocals, and explore the details of your music library from your fingertips.
- High Precision EQ-HD: With up to 16,384 discrete bands to select from and the ability to save up to 1,000 different EQ profiles, the Pioneer XDP-300R can be personalized to your preferences. The linear-phase FIR equalizer offers high definition equalization with zero loss audio quality. You can also choose to simply select between the player's EQ Presets - Flat, 11-Band, Dance, Jazz, Pop, Rock, or Vocal.
- Lock Range Adjust: The 7 position Lock Range Adjust improves the signal-to-noise ratio, eliminating jitter noise that develops during the digital-to-analog conversion, so you hear nothing but the music.
- Digital Filter: Select from Sharp, Slow, Short to adjust the sound characteristics. The Sharp setting is a standard filter that keeps the sound characteristic neutral. The Slow digital filter improves response, particularly for string instruments allowing for softer resonance and natural sound. The Short mode improves linear startup of sound, bringing the sound forward.
- Club Sound Boost: Activates an ultra-deep bass mode, great for techno and DJ music.
- Stand-Alone Mode: You can improve sound quality by turning off Wi-Fi, the Bluetooth function, and the LCD.
Rechargeable Battery: The Pioneer XDP-300R is powered by a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (1630mAh) that provides up to 16 hours of playback time when listening to FLAC lossless 24-bit/96kHz music files, 18 hours when listening to MP3 128kbps/44.1kHz, or 12 hours when listening to DSD 5.6MHz.
Firmware Updates: You can update the software on this unit to the latest version. A message is displayed on the unit's touchscreen when an update file is released for the software. Simply tap the message and follow the on-screen instructions to update.
Back Up: You can back up the device's apps and settings to a Google server.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
For listening to high grade music. [ BEN Dec 24, 2017 ]
best features for the money [ Ed Feb 28, 2017 ]
3 questions already asked
It does not have voice control. You might want to call an advisor on 1-800-324-9695 to see if we have one that does and meets all your needs. My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul Oct 07, 2017 ] Staff
The Pioneer XDP-300R's two microSD card slots support a maximum size of 200GB (each) for 400GB of expandable storage. As long as the 256GB MicroSD card doesn't exceed 200GB of stored music data, then it should still work with the Pioneer XDP-300R. If you would like to discuss further, feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Larry Mar 13, 2017 ] Staff
By using Pioneer's free X-DAP LINK Software for Windows PC or Mac computers, you'll still have access to your iTunes library with the Pioneer XDP-300R. If you would like to discuss further, feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. Hope that helps! [ Larry Mar 13, 2017 ] Staff