7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X™
Item # 580RZ820 | MFR # TX-RZ820
Special Purchase: -$400.00
$599.99 Earn up to 600 Rewards points
Our take on the Onkyo TX-RZ820 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Feel every effect
The Onkyo TX-RZ820 puts you in the middle of the action. This receiver's 130-watt-per-channel amplifier delivers clean, powerful sound at any volume. THX® Certified Select™ certification ensures spot-on, distortion-free reproduction of movie soundtracks.
You'll enjoy stunning 4K picture quality with compatible Ultra HD TVs and Blu-ray players, too. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X provide multidimensional surround sound for a theater-like experience in your living room.
The RZ Series difference
Onkyo's premium RZ Series home theater receivers deliver music and movie soundtracks with detail and accuracy. The 'RZ820 is constructed with quality components like large custom capacitors for consistently great sound throughout the frequency range, and discrete non-phase shift amp circuits for a clearly focused audio image and reduced distortion even at high volume levels.
Geared toward great sound
A premium 32-bit/384kHz digital-to-analog converter gives you crystal-clear reproduction of music, TV, and movie soundtracks. Dynamic Audio Amplification delivers massive power with low distortion for thrilling movie sound effects. Phase-matching Bass Enhancement lets you enjoy deep, satisfying low-frequency effects while vocals and dialogue remain clear.
This receiver also decodes high-resolution audio formats. And Onkyo's Music Optimizer improves the sound from compressed audio files and Bluetooth streams, so you get clear, detailed sound no matter how you listen.
Easy wireless music listening
Built-in Wi-Fi lets you access the music you have stored on your networked computer so you can easily play tracks from your personal library through the 'RZ820. Chromecast built-in (requires a firmware update, available now) lets you use your computer, phone, or tablet to stream music from over 100 audio apps to the receiver.
Use the Onkyo Controller app to control streaming from your mobile device. Apple® AirPlay® lets you stream from a compatible iOS® device or from any computer with iTunes®. And Bluetooth adds even more wireless music options.
Music in two rooms
The 'RZ820 can power a total of seven speakers simultaneously with its seven amplifier channels. But it has outputs for 11 speakers, allowing for flexible speaker configurations. If you're happy with 5.2-channel surround sound in your living room, you can use the receiver's powered Zone 2 outputs to connect a pair of speakers for stereo sound in another room.
Zone 2 A/B speaker outputs let you connect up to two additional pairs of speakers for stereo sound in different rooms. (The A and B speakers play the same source at the same volume.) You can also connect a stereo receiver or amplifier through line-level Zone 2 and Zone 3 connections and use the 'RZ820 as a preamp for those zones. That gives you full 7.2-channel surround sound in your home theater and stereo sound in up to two additional rooms.
A Zone 2 HDMI output lets you watch video from two different sources in your living room and a second room. Use the Onkyo Controller app to control playback in different zones from anywhere in the house.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 130 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at .08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theater sound
- DTS:X for an immersive, 3-dimensional soundstage
- THX® Certified Select™ theater reference sound
- AccuEQ automatic speaker calibration optimizes your system's sound for your room (microphone included)
- AccuReflex technology aligns phase of up-firing "height" speakers with the sound coming directly from your other speakers
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Pandora®, Spotify, and TIDAL (subscription required for some services)
- Chromecast built-in for streaming music from the cloud with compatible mobile apps (firmware update available)
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from a compatible smartphone, tablet, or computer
- Apple® AirPlay® for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch®, or computer running iTunes®
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer
- PCM files up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD files up to 5.6 MHz
- DTS Play-Fi® available via firmware update
- three-zone/three-source output
- powered stereo audio outputs for 2nd room
- using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.2 home theater in main room
- powered Zone 2 A/B speaker selection allows 2 pairs of speakers to be connected in Zone 2
- line-level 2nd- and 3rd-room outputs for use with a separate amplifier or powered speakers
- output in 3rd room requires the use of separate amplifier or powered speakers
- HDMI and optical/coaxial digital audio sources cannot be output to Zone 3
- Zone 2 HDMI output allows you to watch different video content simultaneously on two TVs
Audio Performance Features:
- high-current amplifier design
- 32-bit/384kHz digital-to-analog converter for clear sound from digital sources
- Music Optimizer function enhances the sound quality of compressed music files and Bluetooth streams
- bi-amp capability with compatible front speakers by reassigning height channels
- HDMI audio/video switching: 7 in, 2 out (includes front-panel input)
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision
- 2 component video inputs
- 2 composite video inputs
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 1 coaxial
- 6 analog stereo audio inputs
- phono input for direct connection of a turntable
- 7.2-channel preamp outputs for connection to a separate power amplifier
- rear-panel USB port for audio playback from USB storage devices
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 11 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height L/R, Zone 2 L/R)
- receiver can power a maximum of seven channels at once
- RS-232, IR, and 12-volt trigger connections for use with external controllers
- free Onkyo Remote app lets you use your Apple or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi remote
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- Phase-Matching Bass optimizes low frequencies to preserve clarity with vocals and movie dialogue
- 40 AM/FM presets
- remote control
- detachable power cord
- 17-1/8"W x 7-15/16"H x 16-3/8"D
- weight: 30.9 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC-911R)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Setup microphone
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Basic Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- "Chromecast built-in support" sheet
- "Play-Fi support" sheet
- Product Registration/Warranty Information
A quantum leap in sound reproduction. Chromecast-ready works easily with Googleplay and Google Home. Self-adjusting of system through supplied microphone easy and effective. Direct and simple remote control. Apleasure to have around.
Jerome, Houston, TX
Onkyo TX-RZ820 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
RZ Series: Onkyo's premium RZ series AV receivers feature upgraded components, such as a massive transformer and custom capacitors that provide high instantaneous current for lightning-fast transient response and a frequency range that extends down to 5 Hz. Discrete amp circuits prevent phase shifting, clearly focusing the audio image and cutting distortion even at extreme volume levels. The RZ series amplifier delivers a significant boost to the dynamics, detail, and accuracy of music and movie soundtracks for a listening experience that packs a stunning emotional impact. The RZ series is backed by a 3 year parts & labor warranty.
Dynamic Audio Amplification: The TX-RZ820 AV receiver features Onkyo's Dynamic Audio Amplification with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 130 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20Hz-20kHz, with 0.08%, driving 2 channels). Onkyo's new Dynamic Audio Amplification technology incorporates a Hi-Current, non-phase shift amplifier design with discrete output stage circuitry and a H.C.P.S (High Current Power Supply) capable of driving 4-16Ω speakers with dynamic control, while producing clear, detailed sound.
- Hi-Current Amp Design w/ Discrete Output Stage: The unique elements of Onkyo's Dynamic Audio Amplification system comprise high-current, low-impedance architecture with discrete output stage circuitry & custom audio capacitors for instantaneous high-current power and precisely control of your loudspeakers for dynamic, accurate sound.
- Non-Phase-Shift Amplification Circuitry: Onkyo's Wide Range Amp Technology (WRAT) circuit layout prevents phase shifting by pushing the roll-off point higher than the listening-level frequency. Amplifying sound without phase shift creates an uncommonly well-focused and realistic audio image.
- H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply): The receiver's High Current Power Supply (H.C.P.S.) transformer features an isolated power supply design and high-capacity filter capacitors to deliver large amounts of power necessary for reproducing the wide dynamics of movie soundtracks and the detail and clarity of your music.
- Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry: Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry adjusts the gain so that less than half the amount of attenuation is needed, ensuring the signal never comes close to the noise floor. This protects the signal against noise, resulting in a dramatically clearer sound.
- Solid Aluminum Front-Panel: A solid aluminum front-panel aids in the receiver's anti-resonance performance.
Amplifier Assignment: The 7-channel amplifier can be configured in a variety of ways to match your type of speaker setup.
- Surround Back (7.1ch): The Onkyo TX-RZ820 provides 7.1ch surround in your main listening area with dedicated Surround Back speakers.
- Front Bi-Amp (5.1ch): The Surround-Back/Height speaker terminals can be reassigned and used along with the Front terminals to bi-amp the front speakers, providing improved bass & treble performance. When bi-amping the front speakers the receiver is limited to a 5.1ch speaker system in the main room (no Surround Back or Front Height speakers)
- Powered Zone 2 (7.1ch + Zone 2): In this configuration, you can connect Front, Center, Surround, Surround Back, and Zone 2 speakers to the AV receiver. When Zone 2 is off, all seven channels will be used in the Main Zone. However, when Zone 2 is on, power to the two surround back (or front height) channels will be directed to the two speakers in Zone 2 and the Main Zone will receive only five channels of power.
- Dolby Atmos (5.1.2ch): The Surround-Back/Front-High speaker terminals are assigned to power a pair of Front-Height, Rear-Height, Overhead Ceiling, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers to create 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos surround sound. Zone 2 speaker can still be powered by the receiver in the configuration. When Zone 2 is off, all seven channels will be used in the Main Zone for Dolby Atmos. However, when Zone 2 is on, power to the Dolby Atmos channels will be directed to the two speakers in Zone 2 and the Main Zone will receive only five channels of power without Dolby Atmos.
384kHz/32-Bit Hi-Grade DAC: The Onkyo TX-RZ820 utilizes one premium-quality AK4458 digital-to-analog converter from Asahi Kasei for all channels. This 384kHz/32-bit DAC implements unique low-distortion filtering technologies for clear sound, and unlocks the full potential of any audio format, including compressed, lossless, and hi-res audio (MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless, FLAC, WAV, OggVorbis, AAC, Apple Lossless, DSD 5.6 MHz, LPCM, and Dolby TrueHD).
- Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry (on All Channels): Onkyo developed Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry (VLSC) to reassemble the signal in its original form-following processing. Unlike conventional filters, VLSC removes pulse noise generated in D/A conversion, allowing the sound wave to be reproduced with extremely high fidelity for a smooth analog signal. The signal's data is converted between sampling points and joined with analog vectors in real time to produce a smooth output wave form. The result is a virtually noiseless, smooth, analog signal that brings out even the most subtle of nuances in music sources.
- PLL Jitter-Cleaning Circuit Technology: PLL (Phase Locked Loop) jitter-cleaning circuit technology reduces jitter by comparing the input and output phases of the digital signal and creating an accurate clock waveform. This enhances the precision of digital signal processing and noticeably improves audio quality. Jitter-cleaning technology works both for digital signals input via HDMI and for digital signals converted from analog signals inside the receiver itself.
Dual 32-Bit DSP Engines: The Onkyo TX-RZ820 AV receiver employs powerful and highly accurate 32-bit DSP (Digital Signal Processor) engines for better surround sound reproduction.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The AV receiver supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||8ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|DSD||2ch, 2.8 MHz, 1-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express|
|Optical/Coaxial||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||6ch, 32-96Hz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
Immersive Surround Sound: The Onkyo TX-RZ820 AV receiver goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats, including Dolby Atmos, Dolby Surround, DTS:X, & DTS Neural:X.
- Dolby Atmos: With Dolby Atmos, sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. The TX-RZ820 has the processing power to run a more enveloping 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos layout utilizing ceiling mounted or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (sold separately). A 5.1.2ch speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch or multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- DTS:X: DTS:X will be enabled through an online firmware update coming later this year. DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space.
- DTS Neural:X: DTS Neural:X will be enabled through an online firmware update coming later this year. DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
THX Certified Select: THX Certified Select guarantees the same high-volume sound you experience at a commercial theater in your home. To gain certification, amplifiers must pass the industry's most severe bench-tests covering every aspect of audio performance to satisfy THX requirements. THX Certified Select is suitable for medium sized rooms, up to 2,000 cubic feet in size, with a 10-12 foot viewing distance from the screen. THX delivers superior sound quality for movie, music, and gaming soundtracks.
- What Is Tested:
- Power Output: Power output is tested to ensure the receiver accurately plays source material at THX Reference Level in every input and mode and at every sampling rate for all possible playback combinations selected by the listener.
- Bass Management: THX requires an 80Hz crossover
point in the receiver's setup menu to ensure proper bass
management. This setting confirms that the subwoofer handles low frequencies, freeing up the loudspeakers to handle mids and highs.
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: THX tests the
signal-to-noise ratio to ensure the AV receiver is designed to have low
performance with very little to no audible hiss from the speakers.
- Advanced Features:
- RE-EQ: Many movie soundtracks are mixed in studios for playback in large cinema auditoriums with an array of speakers. When played on home systems, they may appear abrasive and edgy. Re-EQ establishes a more accurate tonal balance when enjoying movies in your home.
- Timbre Matching: Your ears hear different tonal qualities in sounds coming from different directions. Timbre Matching restores the frequency balance between your front and surround speakers ensuring seamless and smooth panning between the front to back of the room.
- Boundary Gain Compensation (BGC): Sitting near a wall may result in distorted bass response. BGC corrects the way low frequency sound is perceived when seated near a wall. This results in a more accurate bass response.
- THX Loudness Plus: THX Loudness Plus is a volume
control technology that automatically adjusts the front-to-back speaker
level relationship as you turn the volume down. With THX Loudness Plus home theater audiences can now experience surround sound at any volume level.
- Listening Modes:
- THX Cinema: Recreates the ambiance of the movie theater by positioning the 5.1, 7.1and immersive mixes to submerse you in the movie's soundtrack.
- THX Game: Distributes the sound effects and dialogue generated by the game engine by placing the audio from a 5.1, 7.1 or immersive mix to the appropriate "action" location - creating 360-degree gaming experience.
- THX Music: Emulates the original studio environment for the 5.1, 7.1 or immersive mix for an accurate and increased sense of spaciousness and localization - placing you directly in the recording session.
- THX Surround EX: Decodes the third surround channel from the traditional two surround channels to create a more immersive entertainment experience.
Note: THX Select is previously known as Select2.
Onkyo Original DSP Modes: Onkyo's Original DSP Modes, combined with Dolby Digital & DTS processing, produce more realistic, powerful sound effects for your movie and music sound tracks based on the type of content and your home theater setup. You can choose from the following:
- Orchestra: Suitable for classical or operatic music. This mode emphasizes the surround channels in order to widen the sound image, and simulates the natural reverberation of a large hall.
- Studio-Mix: Suitable for rock or pop music. Listening to music in this mode creates a lively sound field with a powerful acoustic image, like being at a club or rock concert.
- TV Logic: Suitable for TV shows produced in a TV studio. This mode enhances the surround effects to the entire sound to give clarity to voices and create a realistic acoustic image.
- Unplugged: Suitable for acoustic instruments, vocals and jazz. This mode emphasizes the front stereo image, giving the impression of being right in front of the stage.
- Multichannel (Multich)/Game: Multichannel mode is suitable for playing sources recorded in multichannel PCM. The receiver also offers four different Gaming modes - RPG, Action, Rock, and Sports.
- Stereo/All Channel Stereo (AllCh Stereo): In Stereo mode, sound is output from the front left and right speakers and subwoofer. In All Channel Stereo Mode, stereo sound is output from all speakers - ideal for background music.
- Mono/Full Mono: In Mono mode, when the input signal is analog or PCM, the left and right front speakers output the sound in monaural. In Full Mono mode, all speakers output the same sound in mono, so the sound you hear is the same regardless of where you are within the listening room.
- Theater-Dimensional (T-D): In this mode, you can enjoy a virtual playback of multichannel surround sound even with only two or three speakers. This works by controlling how sounds reach the listener's left and right ears
Audiophile Listening Modes: The Onkyo TX-RZ820 offers two audiophile listening modes which bypass the receiver's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. In Direct mode, audio from the input source is output without surround-sound processing. This mode delivers pure sound with minimum sound quality adjustment and filtration. In Pure Audio mode, the display and video circuitry are turned off, minimizing possible noise sources for the ultimate in high-fidelity audio reproduction.
AccuEQ w/ AccuReflex: AccuEQ conducts two measurements: (1) it measures and sets the distance, sound pressure level and crossover of your speakers and subwoofer to ensure all channels are treated equally (2) it evaluates your room's sonic characteristics and adjusts your speaker's frequency response to prevent standing waves from forming. AccuEQ incorporates AccuReflex technology to align the phase of upfiring "height" speakers with the sound coming directly from your other speakers. Any delay is resolved so that everything arrives at your ears at the same time. The result is cohesive reproduction of object-based soundtracks. You can save up to 3 AccuEQ presets. The included microphone plugs into the front-panel of the receiver.
Note: You can choose to bypass the AccuEQ for your front speakers or all speakers, and manually set the distance, crossover, EQ, and level of each speaker.
Audio Enhancements: The Onkyo TX-RZ820 receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- Music Optimizer: The Music Optimizer function enhances the sound quality of compressed music files. The Music Optimizer function only works with PCM digital audio input signals with a sampling rate below 48kHz, analog input signals, and Bluetooth audio.
- Late Night Feature: The Late Night feature limits the dynamic range of Dolby Digital recordings. Limiting the dynamic range makes it easier to find a volume that ensures the quiet sounds are not too quiet and the loud sounds are not too loud for night time listening. This allows you to comfortably listen to without the need to constantly adjust the volume to keep from waking family/neighbors. The choices are: Off, Low, and High. This feature only works with Dolby Digital Encoded software and the depth of the feature will vary based on the individual software package.
Bass Management: The Onkyo AV receiver offers Tone Control, Phase Matching Bass technology, and a Double Bass feature to get the most bass impact out of your system.
- Tone Controls: You can independently adjust the Bass (90Hz) and Treble (7.5kHz) of the receiver's Front L/R channels from -10 to +10 dB. The receiver also provides independent Bass and Treble control for Zone 2.
- Phase Matching Bass: Onkyo's Phase-Matching Bass optimizes low frequencies while preserving mid-range clarity. This means that powerful bass plays back with clear vocals; it doesn't overpower them.
- Double Bass: You can also activate the Double Bass function in order to boost bass output even more by feeding bass sounds to the front left/right speakers, center-channel, and powered subwoofer.
Volume Setup: The Onkyo AV receiver provides the following volume settings.
- IntelliVolume: With IntelliVolume, you can set the input level for each input (+/-12dB) selector individually. This is useful if one of your source components is louder or quieter than the others. This function does not work in Zone 2.
- Maximum Volume: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from 30-79 (max), or Off (disabled).
- Power On Volume: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Last (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Min (0), or 1-79.
- Mute Level: Set the volume lowered from the listening volume when "Mute" is selected. Choose from 0, -40dB, or -20 dB.
- Headphone Level: With this setting, you can specify the headphone volume (+/-12dB) relative to the main volume. This is useful if there's a volume difference between your speakers and your headphones.
Analog Audio Outputs: The Onkyo TX-RZ820 is outfitted with the following analog audio outputs.
- Binding-Post Speaker Terminals: There are binding-post terminals for all speaker connections - Front, Center, Surround, Surround Back/Height, and Zone 2. The binding post terminals will accept bare-wire, pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only). Use 4- to 16-ohm speakers.
- 7.2ch Pre-Outs: The Onkyo TX-RZ820 features 7.2ch pre-outs (Front, Center, Surround, Surround Back/Height, and Dual Subwoofer) for connection of an external power amplifier. The pre-outs are variable. The dual sub outputs are wired in parallel and share the same input signal (they are not discrete).
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
Phono Input: The Onkyo AV receiver is fitted with a Phono (MM) input and ground terminal for connection of a turntable, so you can enjoy listening to your vinyl records.
HDMI 2.0a: The Onkyo TX-RZ820 has seven HDMI 2.0a inputs (6 rear/1 front) and dual HDMI 2.0a outputs. Thanks to the latest HDMI 2.0a specification, the receiver can support 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video, HDCP 2.2 compatibility, 4:4:4 color sub-sampling, High Dynamic Range (HDR), and BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut.
- 4K/60Hz: The TX-RZ820 supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second on all of its HDMI inputs and outputs. It will also pass a 480p, 820p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI (not compatible with 480i video signals).
- HDCP 2.2: The receivers HDMI inputs and HDMI outputs support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The receiver's HDMI inputs and HDMI monitor output support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail. HDMI inputs 4-8 only support 4K 60/50Hz @ YCbCr 4:2:0.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) video provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. This receiver supports three HDR formats - HDR 10, HLG, & Dolby Vision.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HLG: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision utilizes dynamic metadata which adjusts brightness, color, and contrast automatically for each scene. Dynamic metadata carries information that maps every image to your TV's display capabilities, so you see more of what the content creator intended. Dolby Vision supports 12-bit color and 10,000 nits.
Dual HDMI Outputs: The dual HDMI outputs can simultaneously output the same audio/video signal to two TVs, or you can assign the second HDMI output to Zone 2 to display a different HDMI source (1-3 input) in another room (video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs).
Analog Video-to-HDMI Conversion: Analog composite and component video signals (480i only) input to the receiver will be converted to HDMI signals and then output from the receiver via its main HDMI monitor output to your TV. The resolution remains the same and is not upscaled.
Other HDMI Features: The TX-RZ820 AV receiver's HDMI connectivity also offers 3D video pass-through, ARC (Audio Return Channel), Deep Color & x.v. Color support, as well as an auto LipSync function.
- 3D-Ready: All HDMI jacks will accept 3D video from your 3D-ready Blu-ray player and output the video signal in 3D to your 3D-ready flat-panel television.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): The receiver's main HDMI output features ARC (Audio Return Channel). This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The AV receiver supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture
- Auto Lip-Sync: The Lip-Sync function can automatically synchronize HDMI audio and video (for any HDMI jack) that has gotten out of sync due to the complex digital video processing being performed by your HDMI-compatible TV. With HDMI Lip-Sync, the audio delay required to synchronize the audio and video is calculated and applied automatically by the AV receiver. You can also manually correct the audio delay from 0 (no delay) to 400 milliseconds; in 10 millisecond steps.
HDMI Through: When enabling the HDMI Through function, regardless of whether the AV receiver is "O" or in "Standby", both audio/video streams from an HDMI input will be output to your television, via the receiver HDMI monitor output. You can select between three HDMI Through modes.
- Auto: Detects the signal and automatically selects the input sources.
- Source: Selects the HDMI input source for which the HDMI Through function in enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "standby" mode.
Analog Video Inputs: The receiver features two composite video inputs and two component video inputs which support 480i video signals only. All analog video input signals are converted to digital and sent via HDMI to your TV at 480i (no upscaling). The component video input is not capable of high-definition video.
Video Select: It is possible to play audio and video from different sources. For example, you can play audio via Bluetooth and video from your BD/DVD player. This function is only effective when an input with audio only (Network, Bluetooth, or Tuner) has been selected initially.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Onkyo TX-RZ820 AV receiver supports a wired Ethernet (RJ-45) or wireless WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz) network connection. Via the AV receiver's network connection, you can enjoy music files stored on your computer and listen to internet radio through a variety of online music services.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Onkyo AV receiver is equipped with an Ethernet (RJ-45) jack for connecting the player to your home network and computer. Connecting the A/V receiver's Ethernet port to a 100Base-TX switched Ethernet network is recommended for best results. Use a shielded CAT-5 Ethernet cable to connect the receiver to your home network.
- Built-in Wireless LAN: The AV receiver also features built-in WiFi that allows you to wirelessly connect to your home network, so you can enjoy the benefits of a cable-free network environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with a WiFi-enabled access point (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz). Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
DLNA Certified: Because the TX-RZ820 is DLNA (ver.15) certified, you can play back music files stored on your Windows PC (w/ Windows Media Player 11 or 12) or a DLNA compliant media server through the stereo receiver. You can control basic playback functions of your music library from the included remote control and receiver's on-screen menu; such as Folder/File Select, Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. Compatible music files include -
- Hi-Res Music Files: AIFF (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), FLAC (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), WAV (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), DSD (1-bit; 2.8/5.6MHz)
- Lossless: ALAC (16/24-bit; 44.1-96kHz)
- Low-Res Music Files: MP3 (8-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), WMA (5-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), AAC (8-320kbps; 44.1-96kHz)
Built-in Online Music Services: The Onkyo TX-RZ820 offers several built-in internet radio & online music services through its wired or wireless network connection.
- TuneIn: With more than 100,000 radio stations and 2 million on-demand programs registered, TuneIn is a service where you can enjoy music, sports and news from all over the world.
- Pandora: Pandora is a personalized Internet radio service that plays the music you know and helps you discover music you'll love. You can select Internet radio stations by Artist, Song, or Genre.
- Tidal: Tidal is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. Tidal has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access Tidal's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Deezer: Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month. Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Onkyo AV receiver from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Chromecast Built-In (Firmware Update Available): Chromecast built-in lets you instantly stream a variety of music apps from your Apple (iOS 7.0+) or Android (OS 2.3+) mobile device to the Onkyo stereo receiver. Chromecast built-in works over WiFi and allows you to connect more than one device at a time to the receiver, as well as control what's playing from anywhere in the house with your compatible mobile device.
- Supported Content: Chromecast built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), Tidal, Google Play Music, and more. Click here for a complete list of compatible apps. You can even wirelessly stream exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet through the Onkyo receiver. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
- Simple-to-Use: Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast Built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the Onkyo receiver. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the receiver's speaker system.
Note: Make sure the TX-RZ820 has the latest firmware/software update installed.
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the AV receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the AV receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
AM/FM Tuner: With the built-in tuner you can enjoy AM and FM radio stations. You can store your favorite stations as presets for quick selection. You can store a combination of up to 40 of your favorite FM/AM radio stations as presets.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Onkyo TX-RZ820 features built-in Bluetooth (version 4.1+LE) with support for profiles A2DP 1.2 and AVRCP 1.3. You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, & Mac laptop/computer, as well as other Bluetooth compatible devices to the Onkyo receiver.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the TX-RZ820 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Playback Control: You can use the receiver's IR remote control to operate basic playback functions, like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track. Advanced music browsing will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device.
- Song/Artist Information: The receiver will display song/artist information on its front-panel LCD and through its on-screen on your HDMI-connected TV. Album Art is not supported.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Onkyo receiver.
USB Mass Storage Class: This AV receiver is equipped with a rear-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device, such as USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The unit will recognize USB MSC devices formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 with up to 20,000 music files. You can control basic playback functions of your music library from the included remote control and receiver's on-screen menu; such as Folder/File Select, Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music files include -
- Hi-Res Music Files: AIFF (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), ALAC (16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), FLAC (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), WAV (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), DSD (1-bit; 2.8/5.6MHz)
- Low-Res Music Files: MP3 (8-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), WMA (5-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), AAC (8-320kbps; 44.1-96kHz)
Notes: USB hubs and USB devices with hub functions are not supported. MP3 players containing music files that are managed with special music software are not supported. Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad and Android devices are not supported via USB.
HDMI Zone 2: The Onkyo TX-RZ820 AV receiver provides a Zone 2 HDMI output, so two different HDMI audio/video feeds can be sent to two different displays at the same time directly from the receiver (HDMI 1-3 connected input sources only). HDMI Zone 2 will output up to 4K video and 2-channel audio for the HDMI input source selected. Video will be output at the highest resolution supported by both TVs. If you have the same HDMI source playing back in the main room and Zone 2, then the main room is also limited to 2ch PCM audio.
- Compatible Sources: HDMI 1-3 connected input sources only (up to 4K/2ch PCM).
- Incompatible Sources: Tuner, Analog, USB, Bluetooth, Network, and Optical/Coaxial Digital audio sources; plus analog video sources and HDMI 4-7 inputs.
Zone 2 (Audio Only): In addition to the main listening room, you can also enjoy audio playback from a different source in another room of your home using the receiver's Zone 2 function. The receiver features Zone 2 line-outputs, as well as Zone 2 (A/B) speaker outputs. You can play the same audio source in both Zones (Main & Zone 2) or play a different audio source in each zone. Zone 2 is compatible with analog, digital, and wireless audio sources - see below for details.
- Line-Level or Speaker-Level:
- Line-Level Outputs: By using the line-level outputs on the TX-RZ820 you can connect an external receiver or integrated amplifier in a second room, allowing you to listen to 7.1ch surround in the main room and play a different audio source in another room of your home. The volume of Zone 2 will be controlled from the TX-RZ820 or your add-on integrated amplifier/receiver.
- A/B Speaker Level Outputs: The receiver features Zone 2 speaker A/B outputs. By using theses speaker-level outputs on the TX-RZ820, you can directly connect up to two pair of speakers in another room of your home, allowing you to listen to 5.1ch surround sound in your main room and play a different audio source in the other room. It is able to do this by reassigning the receiver's Surround Back amplifier channels to power the Zone 2 A/B speakers. Zone 2A & Zone 2B will play the same audio source at the same volume level. When connecting both Zone 2A and Zone 2B speaker, your speakers should have a minimum of an 8Ω to 16Ω impedance. The volume of Zone 2 is controlled from the receiver.
- Source Compatibility:
- Compatible Sources: AM/FM tuner, HDMI Audio 1-3 (2ch PCM only), Analog & Optical/Coax Digital (2ch PCM only) inputs, USB & Bluetooth Audio, Network (including DLNA, AirPlay, built-in music apps, & Chromecast Built-in) can be played back in Zone 2.
- Incompatible Sources: HDMI Audio (4-7), as well as HDMI video and analog video inputs cannot be output to Zone 2. DSD audio files cannot be played back in Zone 2.
- As for Network, USB, and Bluetooth sources; you cannot select different inputs for the main room and Zone 2. For example, if a Network source has been selected in the main room and then Bluetooth is selected as a playback source in Zone 2, the input in the main room will also change to the Bluetooth source.
- When listening to AM/FM radio, you cannot select different stations for the main room and Zone 2.
Zone 3 (Audio Only) Line-Level Outputs: Zone 3 allows playback of a separate source in 2-channel stereo in a third room of your home. Zone 3 features line-level outputs only. This way, Zone 3 can be powered by a separate integrated amplifier (keeping either 5.2ch or 7.2ch playback in your main room). The volume of Zone 3 can be controlled from the TX-RZ820 receiver or your add-on integrated amp.
- Compatible Sources: AM/FM tuner, Analog inputs, USB & Bluetooth Audio, Network (including DLNA, AirPlay, built-in music apps, & Chromecast Built-in) can be played back in Zone 3.
- Incompatible Sources: Optical/coaxial digital audio sources, HDMI sources, and any video source cannot be played back in Zone 3.
- As for Network, USB, and Bluetooth sources; you cannot select different inputs for the main room and Zone 3. For example, if a Network source has been selected in the main room and then Bluetooth is selected as a playback source in Zone 3, the input in the main room will also change to the Bluetooth source.
- When listening to AM/FM radio, you cannot select different stations for the main room and Zone 3.
Whole House Mode: The Whole House Mode is useful when you want to simply add extra background music to your home party. This mode allows you to enjoy the same stereo music as the main room in separate rooms (Zone 2/3). The Whole House Mode selects the same input source for Zone 2/3 as the main room. During the Whole House Mode, All Stereo playback is selected for the Main Zone and Stereo playback for the other two Zones. The Main Zone, Zone 2, and Zone 3 will all have independent volume control.
Note: Whole House Mode cannot be used if headphones are connected or audio is output from the speakers of the TV.
Google Home Multiroom: Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song from a Chromecast built-in music app throughout your house at the same time. Friends and family can even use their own Chromecast compatible phone or tablet to cast music to your system by connecting to your home's WiFi network.
DTS Play-Fi (Firmware Update Available)): DTS Play-Fi combines DTS and WiFi to wirelessly stream high quality audio through out your home using the Play-Fi app for Apple iOS 8.0+, Android OS 4.0+, & Windows 7 PC or later. Supported music formats up to 24-bit/192kHz (including MP3, AAC, FLAC, WAV) are wirelessly streamed to the receiver at up to 24-bit/96kHz (Critical Listening Mode) or to multiple DTS Play-Fi players up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD quality sound). You can connect multiple DTS Play-Fi products together from different brands and manufacturers on the same home network to create a whole-home streaming experience. Play the same source in every room or a different song in each room. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router. Compatible sources include -
- Source Devices: DTS Play-Fi provides you with the ability to stream your music wirelessly in high-quality lossless audio from Apple iOS & Android devices, Windows laptops & desktop computers, as well as DLNA-servers on your existing home WiFi network to the Onkyo receiver. Up to eight separate wireless source devices, each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices.
- Online Music Services: DTS Play-Fi enables wireless audio streaming from the world's most popular music services & internet radio, including - Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Napster, & more.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more components, or choosing more than one audio brand like Klipsch, Martin Logan, Definitive Technology, Polk Audio, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
FireConnect MultiRoom Audio (Firmware Update Available): FireConnect powered by Blackfire mirrors network audio sources and any external analog source playing through the receiver (from streaming audio to vinyl) on optional FireConnect/Blackfire wireless speakers (such as the Onkyo NCP-302, sold separately). Sampling rates up to 48 kHz are supported. FireConnect powered by Blackfire is stable, fast, and easy to control with Onkyo's Controller app for Apple iOS and Android.
Note: Make sure the Onkyo receiver has the latest firmware/software update installed. Onkyo cannot guarantee the compatibility with other devices featuring FireConnect or Blackfire.
Onkyo Controller App: The Onkyo Controller app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ & Android OS 4.0.3) features an intuitive, user-friendly interface that allows you to conveniently operate the Onkyo receiver from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. This app not only has the usual remote control functions, it also has a multiroom functionality for Zone 2 and Zone 3.
- Remote Control: You can operate general control functions (play/stop, control the volume, select the input source, etc.) from your compatible smartphone or tablet.
- Source Device Playback: Operation of connected products (like a Blu-Ray player or TV) that are connected to the receiver via HDMI.
- Streaming Audio: Lets you play audio from built-in music streaming services (such as Pandora, Spotify, TIDAL), the music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, and your Windows PC or other DLNA-compatible server. You can also access music from Bluetooth and USB source devices.
- Multiroom Audio: Provides control over Zone 2 and Zone 3 for wireless multiroom audio (such as FireConnect by Blackfire).
Google Home Voice Commands: With the Google Home voice-activated speaker (8064658762, sold separately) and the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 4.2+), you can use your voice to control select functions of the Onkyo AV receiver. With a simple voice command, you can play music from Chromecast compatible music services by artist, song, genre, album, playlist, mood or activity. You can also turn up the volume, skip to the next track, or stop the music - all without lifting a finger.
IR Remote: The receiver comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of this receiver and other HDMI-connected sources (via HDMI CEC).
HDMI Control: This function allows HDMI-CEC compatible components or RIHD-compatible components connected via HDMI to be controlled with the TX-RZ820. The AV receiver offers the following HDMI-CEC controls.
- The AV receiver will enter Standby mode when the power of the TV is turned to Standby.
- You can set on the menu screen of the TV to either output the audio from the speakers connected to the AV receiver, or from the speakers of the TV.
- It is possible to output the audio/video from the antenna or from the input jack of the TV from the speakers connected to the AV receiver.
- Input to the AV receiver can be selected with the remote controller of the TV.
- Operations such as volume adjustment or similar for the AV receiver can be performed from the remote controller of the TV.
Control & Custom Integration: The TX-RZ820 includes system integration connectivity such as RS232 with support for 2-way communication with 3rd party home automation systems. An infrared (IR) input allows pass-through of IR signals to control other devices connected to the TX-RZ820, such as a TV or Blu-ray player. The 12 volt trigger can be used to raise/lower a projection screen, power on/off an external amplifier or open/close the drapes with the touch of a button.
Web Control: When connected to your home's wired or wireless network, you can setup the Onkyo AV receiver with the web control screen displayed in your PC's web browser.
On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Assistance (HDMI only): The Onkyo AV receiver offers an on-screen (GUI) menu system through its HDMI output. The simple on-screen display combines text and graphics that make setup and other operations extremely easy. The initial setup assistant takes you step-by-step through speaker configuration, source connection, remote programming, and network connection.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV, FLAC, and ALAC music files via USB.
Name Edit: You can enter a custom name for each individual input selector and radio preset for easy identification. When entered, the custom name will appear on the display. This function cannot be used for the AM/FM, Network, USB, and Bluetooth input selectors.
Display Dimmer: The front-panel display brightness has three settings - Dim, Dimmer, and Normal.
Timers: The receiver features a programmable Auto Standby function & programmable Sleep Timer.
- Auto Standby: The AV receiver will automatically go into Standby mode, if there is no operation for 20 minutes with no audio/video signal input.
- Sleep Timer: From the remote, you can set the unit to automatically turn off after 30, 60, or 90 minutes.
Firmware Updates: Future firmware updates are available from the Onkyo website through the receiver's Network or USB connection. Visit Onkyo's online Download Center for the latest firmware updates.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I love this receiver so much, I'm buying a second unit for another room in my house. The first unit powers the basement and outdoor patio (zone 2). This unit will power the great room. The sound quality is just awesome, and the Mobile app is so convenient that I had to replace the existing receiver. [ Paul Aug 11, 2018 ]
Reputation and price. [ Warf Aug 08, 2018 ]
With the help of Brad, this should power my 7.2 surround sound system with KEF speakers much better than my Sony DH770. [ Robert Aug 06, 2018 ]
With the second HDMI and audio out, I can run the audio and video to my kitchen or patio. [ Paul Aug 02, 2018 ]
brand [ RICHARD Jul 30, 2018 ]
Have an old Onkyo, read the reviews and felt it's time to upgrade. [ Miguel Jul 29, 2018 ]
After doing research, this receiver to me had the best performance and options under $800. I actually narrowed it down between this AVR and the Sony STR-DN1080. They both have all the new bells and whistles like HDR10, upscaling, Atmos and DTS:X to name a few. I went with the Onkyo mainly due to power. The Sony has 165 watts per channel at 6 ohms, but at 8 ohms its more like 100-110. I have Klipsch speakers where the two floors are 260F's that run at 125 watts / 8ohms. [ Joseph Jul 27, 2018 ]
Features and performance [ TOD W Jul 26, 2018 ]
130 watts per channel for the price. [ F Jul 25, 2018 ]
Bought some 4 ohms speakers the other day an wanted a 4ohms receiver to get the best out of my sound [ Rahsaan Jul 24, 2018 ]
Price and features. Previous Onkyo owner. [ Kurt Jul 23, 2018 ]
Very reasonably priced and 7.2 channels are all I need. [ KIM Jul 22, 2018 ]
Price & free shipping [ Jodie Jul 22, 2018 ]
Best vale of price and options. [ Reginald Jul 21, 2018 ]
Ryan helped [ Raju Jul 20, 2018 ]
I was impressed with all the features of this unit and at the price point you can't beat it. [ Christopher Jul 17, 2018 ]
Always had Onkyo and Love their Receivers. [ Hector Jul 16, 2018 ]
value and price [ F Jul 13, 2018 ]
upgrading system to 4k [ daniel Jul 12, 2018 ]
It had all the features I was looking fro in a new Atmos style receiver and being on sale I thought it was a god deal. [ Mark Jul 12, 2018 ]
Based on the reviews, features, and cost this seemed like a good choice for my needs. [ S Jul 12, 2018 ]
Features, Power, and Warranty. [ jeffrey Jul 12, 2018 ]
Salesman Advice [ Scott Jul 11, 2018 ]
digital/optical inputs can be routed to zone 2. [ Gregory Jul 11, 2018 ]
Awesome deal! Couldn't pass it up. I have an older TX-NR616 that had a bad chip. Onkyo has a trade in program that rebates me 200clams so I jumped all over this deal! Ii only last to the end of 2018. If you have a bad Onkyo receiver check your serial number on their website for details. [ Dean Jul 10, 2018 ]
it was at a great price [ michael Jul 10, 2018 ]
Value, power, features [ L Jul 09, 2018 ]
It's about time to replace my ten years old Onkyo TX-SR674 and still functioning to use as powered Zone 2 receiver. [ Arnaldo Jul 05, 2018 ]
Highly rated with excellent reviews [ Christopher Jul 04, 2018 ]
Best options on what was wanted and price [ Randall Jul 03, 2018 ]
Eddie recommended this receiver to go with recent purchase of a Definitive pro surround speaker system. [ Arthur Jun 30, 2018 ]
Price and features. Needed a replacement for my Denon with a back ARC HDMI port. [ Bernardo Jun 30, 2018 ]
The HDMI ports on old Onkyo AV Receiver started getting flaky. It may have been caused by me manually changing HDMI cables for all of my devices since the old AC receiver only had 2 HDMI in ports and i have many HDMI devices. [ Cory Jun 29, 2018 ]
Great reviews couples with end of model year pricing led me to select the Onkyo TX-RZ820. [ John Thomas Jun 29, 2018 ]
Recommendation by Crutchfield Tech Advisor. Looks to be a perfect choice for our needs. [ Greg Jun 28, 2018 ]
Great reviews and great receiver brand. [ Lobrenzo Jun 28, 2018 ]
Price & quality [ Shaun Jun 27, 2018 ]
I needed a new receiver that has pre-outs to connect my speakers' audio cables to my amplifier. This fits the bill and is also loaded with just about every feature I'll need. [ Christopher Jun 23, 2018 ]
Quality, price and the brand. When it comes to receivers, I've bought no other brands but Onkyo receivers. [ VICTORINO D Jun 22, 2018 ]
Value, price and quality [ David Jun 20, 2018 ]
The specs features and price point. [ Jeff Jun 20, 2018 ]
Price. Features. [ Chris Jun 18, 2018 ]
Power and price. A bit wary since I have 2 dead Onkyo receivers in my garage, both with the dreaded HDMI board issue, one of which was sent back and supposedly fixed. That one died again within a week of when I got it back from Onkyo (after more than a month wait). I'll give them one more chance, hopefully the RX series 3 year warranty and higher quality parts will make the third time a charm. Really hoping this one has no problems. [ Bruce Jun 17, 2018 ]
Gordo [ KEVIN Jun 16, 2018 ]
Good reviews and to upgrade my denon avr x2100w [ Miguelangel Jun 14, 2018 ]
Value can't be beat! [ Roland Jun 13, 2018 ]
For the price, this is a huge bang for your buck! I did have some specific needs for my setup like dual HDMI and extra zones for other pre-wired speakers through out my home. This receiver is Onkyo coming back into the receiver game and I'm really excited about how it will perform. [ beta379 Jun 08, 2018 ]
just bought a 4k UHD TV and Apple TV. Both support dolby and atmos. currently have a "plain jane" stereo receiver. plus, i want more watts for my speakers. [ jay Jun 07, 2018 ]
I've owned prior Onkyos and they have been great! [ Martin Jun 06, 2018 ]
Better receiver and good price [ IRAM MENDOZA Jun 05, 2018 ]
I was looking for a budget marketed AV Receiver with Dolby Atmos and Andy assisted me in deciding on the Tx-RZ820 (Price Drop) over the Denon AVR-1400H and similar brands based on my speakers, floor and wall mounted; subwoofer; 4K TV; 4K BD player and cable provider. [ Robert Jun 02, 2018 ]
Bang for buck [ Randall Jun 02, 2018 ]
Because this is what I wanted to buy. [ aaron May 31, 2018 ]
I have an HT -R550 Onkyo receiver that failed after 15 years. I'm sure it could be repaired but it's time to upgrade. I bought my parents an Onkyo receiver 23 years ago and they still use it every day. I am looking forward to all the new technology in my new receiver. PS. I could have bought this receiver with my Amazon account, but I prefer to buy direct from the experts. [ KEVIN May 31, 2018 ]
great price for the model [ Randy May 31, 2018 ]
Price, reviews, features [ GENE A May 31, 2018 ]
Past experience with Onkyo has been excellent; features I need; great price. [ David May 30, 2018 ]
I. Love that sound better. Tnx u. [ nicolas May 30, 2018 ]
I have an ancient Onkyo receiver......over 20 years old...... that lost a knob in a recent move (my fault and not the units LOL). Old habits die hard and this new Onkyo with great tech at a really great price should be my last if the previous unit's reliability is any indication of future performance for this replacement. [ Nick May 29, 2018 ]
Great online reviews; hope it lives up to the hype! [ Burton May 29, 2018 ]
Decent experience with previous Onkyo product purchased with Crutchfield recently. This was on a good sale and thought I would give it a try. [ WILLIAM MICHAEL May 21, 2018 ]
Past experience with onkyo products. They are always a good value for the money. [ ANDY May 20, 2018 ]
good reviews and good price point [ Daniel May 20, 2018 ]
Most bang for the buck! [ Janice Danyew May 13, 2018 ]
Great value for the price, THX certified. [ Eddie May 08, 2018 ]
Great reviews by customers, Onkyo's reputation (I've previously owned an Onkyo stereo receiver and AVR before and liked them both very much!), the high wattage, high power supply and it weighs a substantial amount compared to other competing products. [ William May 07, 2018 ]
I have owned Onkyo products for over 30 years and am very satisfied with product quality. The savings was also a big plus, not to mention that Crutchfield is the best place to get electronics from. [ Tom May 06, 2018 ]
Renewing my over 12 years old receiver. [ Mario May 04, 2018 ]
Bought one from Crutchfield 8 years ago. Like Onkyo product. Tech help from River caused me to buy this particular model. [ JOHN Apr 24, 2018 ]
Exceptional price. Known reputation with Crutchfield. [ Timothy Apr 24, 2018 ]
Sound quality, product quality, features quality, price. [ GREGORY Apr 23, 2018 ]
Most versatile and powerful for the "on sale" price. [ Kevin Apr 21, 2018 ]
It's on sale and it has everything on my "got to have" list. BIG reason is your Customer Service-REAL People with REAL knowledge. [ Stan Apr 20, 2018 ]
on sale [ julissa m. Apr 20, 2018 ]
my Yamaha aventage rx-a1020 went out on "arc"., had to buy a new one for the lr. [ paul Apr 19, 2018 ]
I needed a receiver that was 4 Ohm stable on all channels, had reasonable power, and with preamp outs as well. The wifi/bluetooth features are nice and the phono is a bonus. All this while trying to be low-budget. [ Philip Apr 17, 2018 ]
Great value in a powerful A/V Receiver. [ Michael Apr 16, 2018 ]
It had the features I wanted with very little extra features that I won't use and didn't want to pay for. [ john Apr 15, 2018 ]
Based upon Tech Adviser Travis' recommendation as new technology equivalent replacement for my original 8 yrs Onkyo home theater receiver. [ John Apr 15, 2018 ]
It fit what I needed. [ Jerome Apr 14, 2018 ]
Good quality vs price point supported by diverse good reviews. [ Tae Apr 13, 2018 ]
THX Certified, 130 Watts, very reasonable price. [ John Apr 10, 2018 ]
Because its on sale and the 6 yr old Marantz receiver (SR7005) I have already just took a dump on me. HDMI board went out and they do not respond to emails or i have read that they don't have replacement parts..... DO NOT BUY MARANTZ. I have a 12 year old ONKYO home theatre receiver that stills works 100%, so i'm going back to ONKYO Brand [ JASON Apr 10, 2018 ]
Good value for the features [ Bernard Apr 08, 2018 ]
Bose did not have options for 4k HDR UNLESS i purchased an entirely new system. This system was recommended by my friend Scott Miles. [ Michael Apr 06, 2018 ]
130 x 2 ch. Driven. Plus you can bi-amp [ Celso Mar 31, 2018 ]
I like the thx certification [ Brad Matthew Mar 26, 2018 ]
Has a lot of features and integrated apps. Have an older model Onkyo AVR that I have been happy with. [ David Mar 21, 2018 ]
Best bang for the buck, and 3 a year warranty in case I have any issues. I currently have an older Onkyo, so familiarity was also a factor. [ Scott E. Mar 14, 2018 ]
I've been very happy with the Onkyo DS797 I've had for many years but want to get up to date with wifi, bluetooth etc. [ Clare Mar 12, 2018 ]
Most features for dollar, all reviews say sound is great. Preamp outputs all channels (I only required front left and right). Replacing emotiva av preamp (no 4k, no hdr) with 3 crown xls1500 amps, if satisfies. [ J Mar 08, 2018 ]
Good price for the product [ James Mar 06, 2018 ]
I spoke with one of your experts. He told me the sound would be incredible and that Onkyo makes very good rcvr's. [ kelly Mar 06, 2018 ]
Features, power, design, THX [ Jennifer Mar 02, 2018 ]
Had Onkyo before. Trust the quality of the brand. [ Zdenek Mar 01, 2018 ]
Own other Onkyo AVRs and very satisfied. Also, Crutchfield has a great discounted price and super support. [ sgib Feb 26, 2018 ]
power, features. flexibility, potential for expansion. [ Vernon J. Nov 15, 2017 ]
13 questions already asked
Mine is rated for 110 V and 60 Hz only. The specs indicate there is a 220 V 50/60 Hz model. [ Edward Aug 06, 2018 ]
The manual says North American models are 110v, it says other for 220v. Hope that helps. [ ANDY Aug 06, 2018 ]
I'm not sure. I only used 110V which works fine. [ Kevin Aug 06, 2018 ]
1 answer Can hdmi audio output to zone 2 speakers? For example, if I am watching football in zone 1 with a 7.1 speaker setup, can I send that audio to zone 2? I am assuming that zone 1 would drop to 5.1 and zone 2 would be straight 2 channel. Basically I'm looking for hdmi audio output for zone 2 speakers, not TV speakers. [ Joel Aug 01, 2018 ]
Don't know. Have not tried zone 2 [ David Aug 06, 2018 ]
I wouldn't go more than 25 feet. The best way is cat5 with a baluns to convert it to hdmi [ Gaetano Jul 21, 2018 ]
What do u mean by long. I have a 15' cable and have had no issues. Rcvr is awesome. [ kelly Jul 22, 2018 ]
I'm using 25 ft. And have no issues. [ JOHN Jul 22, 2018 ]
My HDMI cable is 25 feet, works fine. [ BYRON M Jul 21, 2018 ]
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Krissy Jul 07, 2018 ] Staff
Yes BUT.... You can only control volume in Zone 2 if not in line of sight with the cludgy Onkyo App and you can only use the NET source. For example if you are using iTunes or Airplay to play music, you can't control the volume with the iTunes App. You have to have both Apps running. I am really diasappointed with the Zone control functions on this unit.... The Onkyo App bites.... [ Ken Aug 09, 2018 ]
sorry have no idea cant see buttons to do anything don't ask onkyo direct they are idiots [ GARY Jun 25, 2018 ]
Yes zone 2 has its own volume controls [ GEORGE Jun 24, 2018 ]
Sorry. Don't know. Have not had a chance to setup. [ Edward Jun 24, 2018 ]
Wish I could help, but I haven't used it in two zones yet - although I intend soon... [ douglas Jun 24, 2018 ]
Yes. HDMI Zone 2 will output up to 4K video and 2-channel audio for the HDMI input source selected. You will find this information, and more, by clicking the "Details" tab on the receiver's main webpage and scrolling down below the "Features & Specs" table. I hope that helps. My bio: https://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Ryan [ Ryan Jun 14, 2018 ] Staff
So far so good, no problems at all. Very good AV receiver. [ Derrick Jun 23, 2018 ]
I had had a previous Onkyo for 10 years, loved it. I bought Onkyo TX-RZ820, had problems with video upscaling (it doesn't do) and I returned it. I feel bad because the first sales person did not know and mistakenly told me that it did upscaling to 4k. [ Sung Joo Jun 02, 2018 ]
I've no problems at all with this unit. It functions exactly as advertised. [ Mark May 31, 2018 ]
I have had my 820 for a few months now with NO issues of any kind. Love it as the sound is as good as any unit out there. Networking has been easy. New units have added two more speakers. That is the only difference I have seen. [ Fred May 27, 2018 ]
So far no problems with my TX-RZ820. Wireless connection is good & stable. No wired connection used. [ Jay May 27, 2018 ]
Don't know. I miss it also, used it for turntable not TV. [ Jay May 27, 2018 ]
Most likely because turning on the ACR HDMI turns the tv off automatically [ Jeff May 09, 2018 ]
3 answers Does this receiver send audio through the sub HDMI out? In other words, does a TV connected to the 2nd HDMI out receive audio in addition to video? Also, can zone 2 (sub) hdmi be set to one input and zone 2 speakers be set to another? For example, could the zone 2 display show cable TV via HDMI and the zone 2 speakers play music via AirPlay, etc? [ Jared May 09, 2018 ]
Yes & No. The Zone 2 HDMI output provides audio (2 channel) to the second display/TV. When using the Zone 2 HDMI output, the Zone 2 audio (pre-amp and powered) would be the same as the Zone 2 HDMI. There is an audio-only Zone 3 output (requires the addition of an external amp to power the speakers) which can be set to a different source than Zone 1 or 2. You will find this information, and more, by clicking the "Details" tab on the receiver's main webpage and scrolling down below the "Features & Specs" table. [ Ryan May 23, 2018 ] Staff
Sorry wish I had an helpful answer for your, I still haven't even pulled it out the box [ Dax May 17, 2018 ]
don't know what this machine does ,,,have old tv. been able to play cd player usb,and radio [ GARY May 16, 2018 ]
Eric, I don't think so since both speaker level outputs and pre-outs for surround back and surround height give you the option to use either or, and not both. However, I advise going to the Onkyo facebook page and asking them directly just to make sure. FYI: Since I posted my review, I have now bi-amp'd my front speakers, using the power amp hooked up to the front channel pre-outs for the low end 8" woofers, and using the receiver's height/bi-amp speaker level outputs for 5" mid and 1"tweeter. Since there is only one level setting for the fronts in both the single amp'd and b-amp'd configurations, I needed to use the EQ on the receiver to bring down the mids and highs to match the volume level of the low end. This will vary based on what power amp you are using and will be unnecessary if your power amp has a volume/level control (mine does not). The results of bi-amping were unbelievable, and I strongly advise if you have a nice set of towers for your fronts. Good luck. Regards, Victor [ Victor May 02, 2018 ]
I believe via bi-amping or using the 7.1 pre-out's you can obtain that many channels (such as for Atmos). As I understand it in fact doing Atmos with optimal setup recommends another amp. [ John May 02, 2018 ]
5 answers Has the manufacturer solved the HDMI issue that has plagued their receivers? I know this has been an issue in the past, but was wondering if this latest model has been "cured" of the problem. I really like all the features (especially the 3-zones), but am hesitant to purchase because of this [ Robert Apr 07, 2018 ]
The pass thru seems to be working fine for me but the CEC and seems to be cludgy. The unit wants to switch to other inputs when i am using my Apple TV and I have to shut down and power cycle. Havent digured out how to avoid the phenomenon other than to turn off CEC, [ Ken Aug 09, 2018 ]
If it helps, I have been running the unit for 3 months now with no HDMI issues whatsoever. [ Jeffrey Apr 30, 2018 ]
I've only been using my unit for 3 months, but no problems as of now. Caveat; It is my first Onkyo with HDMI inputs. My previous Onkyo TX DS989 was an outstanding unit. [ Jay Apr 23, 2018 ]
I too was concerned about the HDMI issues that I have read about before purchasing. I have had no such issues. The unit performs flawlessly and the HDMI pas through function works as it should. My only gripe about this unit is very minor. I have not found a way to turn off the front speakers when for example, when using this unit as a pre-amplifier and using the provided pre- amp outputs. [ Mark Apr 23, 2018 ]
I have had this receiver for a few months now with no hdmi issues. I replaced a model 818 because of hdmi problems that started about 6 months into ownership. This model seams to be more stable and has great sound. [ Fred Apr 23, 2018 ]
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Krissy Feb 05, 2018 ] Staff
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Frequently Compared With
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X™
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X™
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X™
9.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X™