Epson Home Cinema 4010
3-LCD 1080p home theater projector with 4K Ultra HD and HDR source compatibility (2018 model)
Our take on the Epson Home Cinema 4010 by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
4K compatibility for less
Epson's Home Cinema 4010 shows what clever engineering can achieve. Technically, it's 1080p projector, but it accepts native 4K content, including movies and shows encoded with HDR. The picture looks much sharper than any HD projector we've seen. With the 4010 in your home theater, you can enjoy 4K and HDR-enhanced movies and shows for a fraction of the price of a true 4K projector.
The 4010's built-in video upscaling helps standard Blu-ray discs and other HD sources look amazing, too. And you'll want to dig out your favorite DVD titles, too, because Epson's Super Resolution "smart sharpening" feature gives standard-definition video sources a cleaner, clearer look.
A big, bright picture with lifelike detail, color and contrast
The Home Cinema 4010's extra-sharp, detailed picture is the result of Epson's 4K Enhancement Technology, which shifts each pixel diagonally by half a pixel to provide a sharper image. This allows the 4010 to render 4K content clearly with remarkable detail, for a bright, crisp image. The projector also supports HDR 10, the most common HDR format.
HDR-enhanced movies and shows produce more realistic contrast swings, and colors with extra pop, when displayed through the 4010. There's lots of 4K/HDR movies and shows available from streaming services like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video. Since the 4010 has no built-in web apps, you'll need to connect a 4K media streamer to explore this great-looking content. Of course, for life-sized projector images, the ultimate high-resolution source is an Ultra HD Blu-ray player.
Enough light for bright rooms, enough control for dark rooms
If you don't have a fully light-controlled room for viewing, don't worry. The 4010 has enough light power to handle real-world family rooms, home theaters with really big screens, and situations where others in the room need to keep some lights on.
On the other hand, if you're able to make your room really dark, you'll want to use one of the projector's lower light settings, and turn on the "auto iris" feature, which optimizes black level and contrast for each scene.
Flexible placement and hookup options
For spontaneous or "event" viewing, the 4010 sets up easily on a table or shelf. Or you can use an optional ceiling mount for a more permanent installation. Horizontal and vertical "lens shift" allow you to position the projector off-center and still get a perfectly true image. Two HDMI inputs — one of which is HDCP 2.2 capable — are available for your high-definition sources.
For the best picture quality from this 4K-compatible projector, we recommend using a 4K-rated projector screen.
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- 3-LCD, 3-chip technology (1920 x 1080 pixels each)
- 4K Enhancement Technology shifts each pixel diagonally by half a pixel to provide a more detailed, higher-resolution image than regular 1080p
- accepts 4K Ultra HD video sources
- High Dynamic Range (HDR 10) for extended picture contrast and brightness with HDR sources
- light output: 2400 lumens
- 200,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- dynamic iris for excellent contrast and black level
- 10-bit processing enables over one billion colors
- covers 100% of the DCI-P3 color space (the digital cinema standard)
- frame interpolation for reduced motion judder (not available when pixel shift is in use)
- Super Resolution detail enhancement improves the look of standard-definition video
- 3D-ready with built-in RF emitter (active 3D glasses sold separately)
- picture-in-picture (not available in 3D mode)
Lens and Image Adjustments:
- lens has 2.1X zoom capability (powered zoom/focus)
- lens shift image adjustment (powered, horizontal and vertical)
- program up to 10 preset powered focus positions
- 2 HDMI inputs (one is HDMI 2.0a, the other is HDMI 1.4)
- PC input
- Ethernet port for a wired network connection
- 2 USB ports (one is for an optional HDMI cable with power supply; the other is for firmware update and an optional Wi-Fi module with power supply)
- miniUSB port for software updates
- RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- 12-volt trigger output
- detachable power cord
- 250-watt UHE lamp (lasts up to 5000 hours in Eco mode)
- ultra-quiet cooling fan (20 dB in Eco mode)
- illuminated remote control
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 20-1/2"W x 6-3/4"H x 17-3/4"D
- weight: 24.7 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years parts & labor in-home or carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Note: projectors don't include any type of built-in TV tuner, but you can connect a high-def over-the-air tuner, satellite receiver or cable box
Features and Specs
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Approximate Lamp Life||4000 hrs (5000 ECO)|
|Bulb Wattage||250 watts|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||2400white/2400color|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home or Carry-in|
|Total Video Inputs||2|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||None|
|Composite Video Inputs||None|
|USB Media Port||No|
Why did you buy this?
features and review by others [ Richard Oct 14, 2018 ]
Frequently Compared With
Epson Home Cinema 4010
3-LCD 1080p home theater projector with 4K Ultra HD and HDR source compatibility (2018 model)$1,999.99
Epson Home Cinema 4000
3-LCD 1080p home theater projector with 4K Ultra HD and HDR source compatibility (2017 model)
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UB
3-LCD 1080p home theater projector with 4K Ultra HD and HDR source compatibility (2016 model)
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UBe
3-LCD 1080p home theater projector with 4K Ultra HD and HDR source compatibility and wireless HDMI (2016 model)