Stereo receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Chromecast built-in
Our take on the Onkyo TX-8260 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Old-school stereo sound with modern features
The Onkyo TX-8260 combines a classic stereo receiver design with cutting-edge features for enjoying both digital and analog music sources. Onkyo's low-distortion, high-current amplification gives you authentic, dynamic sound, while the receiver's 32-bit/384kHz DAC helps bring out the best in any digital audio format, from high-res audio files to streamed music.
All the right connections
With seven analog inputs and four digital inputs, the TX-8260 has ample connections for your audio gear, from CD players to cassette decks. A dedicated phono input gives you a direct connection for a turntable, and there's even a set of analog stereo line outputs for audio dubbing. USB ports on the front and back give you convenient access to digital music files stored on a thumb drive.
Wireless capability expands your listening options
When it comes to music, there's no such thing as too many choices. The TX-8260's networking capability lets you play songs from your personal digital music library, but why stop there? Chromecast built-in lets you use your computer, phone, or tablet to stream music from over 100 audio apps to the receiver.
Use the Onkyo Controller app to control streaming from your mobile device. Apple® AirPlay® lets you stream from a compatible iOS® device or from any computer with iTunes®. And Bluetooth adds even more wireless music options.
Music in different rooms
Playback from such a capable music receiver shouldn't be confined to just one room, so the TX-8260 gives you the ability to spread your music through different parts of the house. A/B speaker connections mean you can add a second pair of speakers in another room or outdoor area. You can play the same source in both places simultaneously, or use the A/B switch to select the area you want to listen in.
Zone 2 preamp outputs also send audio to a different room with a power amp and speakers. (You can play the same source in both zones, or a different source in Zone 2.) A dedicated DAC for Zone 2 lets you enjoy digital sources and even streamed music outside of your main listening area.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The TX-8260 is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
- 80 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
- high-current amplifier design with large power transformer
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi for music streaming
- includes support for Pandora®, TIDAL, Deezer, and free internet radio streams with TuneIn (subscription required for some services)
- Chromecast built-in for streaming music from the cloud with compatible mobile apps
- Spotify® Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- Apple® AirPlay® for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
- DTS Play-Fi® wireless multi-room music available via firmware update
- compatible with Sonos Connect — receiver turns on automatically and sets the right input when selected in the app
- plays high-resolution digital music files from a USB storage device or networked computer
- PCM files up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD files up to 11.2 MHz
- Onkyo's free Controller App lets you use your Apple or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi remote
- 40 AM/FM presets
- 4 front-panel preset buttons let you store your favorite AM/FM or Internet radio stations for easy access
- 4 digital audio inputs (2 optical and 2 coaxial)
- front- and rear-panel USB ports for audio playback from USB flash drives
- 7 analog audio inputs (including MM phono for a turntable)
- analog audio outputs include:
- stereo RCA output for Zone 2 amp and speakers
- 1 mono RCA output for powered subwoofer
- binding post speaker connectors
- 1/4" headphone jack
- IR connections for use with external controllers
- sleep timer
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 5-7/8"H x 13-9/16"D
- weight: 18.3 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Network stereo receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC-903S)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Instruction Manual
- Product Registration/Warranty Information
- Important Safety Instructions
- "Play-Fi Support" note
- "Chromecast built-in" instructions
- Onkyo Multiroom brochure
- Onkyo Music brochure
Can't beat buying from Crutchfield, great customer service and prices! Have used Onkyo for years and love the quality. Does everything it says it will do and sounds great too!
Daley, Snohomish, WA
Onkyo TX-8260 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||80|
|THD in Stereo||0.08 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||20-20k Hz|
|FM Sensitivity||Not Given|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||106dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||80dB|
|Wired or Wireless Network||Wired or Wireless|
|HD Radio Tuner||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|iPod Connectivity||AirPlay, BT|
|Total Number of Zones||2|
|Multibrand Remote Control||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|USB Connections||Type-A (Front/Rear)|
|Total Audio Inputs||7|
|Digital Audio Inputs||2 Optical / 2 Coax|
|Speaker Output Pairs||2|
Dynamic Audio Amplification: Rated at 80 watts (8 Ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC), the TX-8260 is Onkyo's best stereo receiver for driving speakers. This amp system generates high current with a massive transformer and audio-grade capacitors. Circuitry features discrete output transistors for low distortion and effortless driving power. High current assures accurate control, restoring energy and vitality to your music. Non-phase-shift circuitry, meanwhile, focuses the audio image and reproduces a wide frequency bandwidth to maximize Hi-Res Audio and vinyl playback.
- Massive Hi-Current EI Transformer: The Massive Hi-Current EI Transformer delivers large amounts of power necessary for reproducing the wide dynamics of movie soundtracks and the detail and clarity of your music.
- Non-Phase-Shift Amp Design: The receiver employs a Non-Phase-Shift amp design which prevents phase shift by pushing the roll-off point higher than the listening-level frequency. This creates a well-focuses and realistic audio image.
- Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry: Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry adjusts the gain so that less than half the amount of attenuation is needed, ensuring the signal never comes close to the noise floor. This protects the signal against noise, resulting in a dramatically clearer sound.
384kHz/32-Bit DAC: A 384kHz/32-bit DAC (AK4452VN) from AKM features unique low-distortion filtering technologies ideally suited to the extended frequency response of Hi-Res Audio files. Excellent S/N and low-noise performance assures clear analog conversion of any digital source.
Tone Controls w/ Direct Mode: You can independently adjust the Bass (90Hz) and Treble (7.5kHz) of the receiver's Front L/R channels from -10 to +10 dB. In Direct mode, the receiver outputs pure sound as it was intended by bypassing the tone control circuits during playback.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs: The Onkyo TX-8260 stereo receiver is outfitted with both analog & digital audio inputs.
- Analog Inputs + Phono (MM): There are seven stereo RCA inputs, including a Phono (MM) input with ground terminal.
- Digital Inputs: The Onkyo stereo receiver features four digital audio inputs. There are two optical (toslink) digital inputs and two coaxial (RCA) digital inputs. The receiver's digital inputs support 2ch PCM audio signals only. Supported sampling rates include 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, and 192kHz; with a bit-depth of 16-bit, 20-bit, or 24-bit.
Analog Audio Outputs: The Onkyo TX-8260 is outfitted with the following analog audio outputs.
- Binding-Post A/B Speaker Terminals: There are binding-post terminals for the A/B speaker terminals. The binding post terminals will accept bare-wire, pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only). Use 4- to 16-ohm speakers.
- Subwoofer Output: The receiver is fitted with a mono-subwoofer output to connect a powered sub for extra bass.
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the main speakers are automatically muted.
- Line Output: There is a stereo RCA line output for connecting a recording device.
Impedance Switch: If you're using only one of the speaker sets (A or B), choose the 4Ω setting if each speaker's impedance is 4Ω to less than 6Ω, or choose the 6Ω setting if each speaker's impedance is 6Ω or more. If you're using both of the speaker sets (A & B), choose the 4Ω setting if each speaker's impedance is 8 to 16Ω.
Volume Setup: The Onkyo stereo receiver provides the following volume settings.
- IntelliVolume: With IntelliVolume, you can set the input level for each input (+/-12dB) selector individually. This is useful if one of your source components is louder or quieter than the others. This function does not work in Zone 2.
- Maximum Volume: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from 50-99 (max), or Off (default value).
- Power On Volume: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Last (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Min (0.5), Custom (0.5-99.5), or Max (99.5).
- Headphone Level: With this setting, you can specify the headphone volume (+/-12dB) relative to the main volume. This is useful if there's a volume difference between your speakers and your headphones.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Onkyo TX-8260 stereo receiver supports a wired Ethernet (RJ-45) or wireless WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz) network connection. Via the stereo receiver's network connection, you can enjoy music files stored on your computer and listen to internet radio through a variety of online music services.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Onkyo stereo receiver is equipped with an Ethernet (RJ-45) jack for connecting the player to your home network and computer. Connecting the receiver's Ethernet port to a 100Base-TX switched Ethernet network is recommended for best results. Use a shielded CAT-5 Ethernet cable to connect the receiver to your home network.
- Built-in Wireless LAN: The stereo receiver also features built-in WiFi that allows you to wirelessly connect to your home network, so you can enjoy the benefits of a cable-free network environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with a WiFi-enabled access point (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz). Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
DLNA Certified: Because the TX-8260 is DLNA (ver.15) certified, you can play back music files stored on your Windows PC (w/ Windows Media Player 11 or 12) or a DLNA compliant media server through the stereo receiver. You can control basic playback functions of your music library from the included remote control; such as Folder/File Select, Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. Compatible music files include -
- Hi-Res Music Files: AIFF (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), FLAC (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), WAV (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), DSD (1-bit; 2.8/5.6/11.2MHz)
- Lossless: ALAC (16/24-bit; 44.1-96kHz)
- Low-Res Music Files: MP3 (8-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), WMA (5-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), AAC (8-320kbps; 44.1-96kHz)
Built-in Online Music Services: The Onkyo TX-8260 offers several built-in internet radio & online music services through its wired or wireless network connection.
- TuneIn: With more than 100,000 radio stations and 2 million on-demand programs registered, TuneIn is a service where you can enjoy music, sports and news from all over the world.
- Pandora: Pandora is a personalized Internet radio service that plays the music you know and helps you discover music you'll love. You can select Internet radio stations by Artist, Song, or Genre.
- Tidal: Tidal is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. Tidal has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access Tidal's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Deezer: Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month. Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Onkyo stereo receiver from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast built-in lets you instantly stream a variety of music apps from your Apple (iOS 7.0+) or Android (OS 2.3+) mobile device to the Onkyo stereo receiver. Chromecast built-in works over WiFi and allows you to connect more than one device at a time to the receiver, as well as control what's playing from anywhere in the house with your compatible mobile device.
- Supported Content: Chromecast built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), Tidal, Google Play Music, and more. Click here for a complete list of compatible apps. You can even wirelessly stream exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet through the Onkyo receiver. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
- Simple-to-Use: Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast Built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the Onkyo receiver. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the receiver's speaker system or draining your battery.
Note: Make sure the TX-8260 has the latest firmware/software update installed.
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the stereo receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the stereo receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the stereo receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the stereo receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information on the front-panel display (no album art).
AM/FM Tuner: With the built-in tuner you can enjoy AM and FM radio stations. You can store your favorite stations as presets for quick selection. You can store a combination of up to 40 of your favorite FM/AM radio stations as presets.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Onkyo TX-8260 features built-in Bluetooth (version 4.1+LE) with support for profiles A2DP 1.2 and AVRCP 1.3. You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, & Mac laptop/computer, as well as other Bluetooth compatible devices to the Onkyo receiver. The receiver has a 48' wireless Bluetooth range.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the TX-8260 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Playback Control: You can use the receiver's IR remote control to operate basic playback functions, like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track. Advanced music browsing will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enabled device.
- Song/Artist Information: The receiver will display song/artist information on its front-panel LCD. Album Art is not supported.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Onkyo receiver.
Dual USB Ports: This stereo receiver is equipped with a front & rear panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device, such as USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The unit will recognize USB MSC devices formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 with up to 20,000 music files. You can control basic playback functions of your music library from the included remote control; such as Folder/File Select, Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (Front = 5V/1A, Rear = 5V/0.5A); even in standby mode. Compatible music files include -
- Hi-Res Music Files: AIFF (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), ALAC (16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), FLAC (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), WAV (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), DSD (1-bit; 2.8/5.6MHz)
- Low-Res Music Files: MP3 (8-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), WMA (5-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), AAC (8-320kbps; 44.1-96kHz)
Notes: USB hubs and USB devices with hub functions are not supported. MP3 players containing music files that are managed with special music software are not supported. Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad and Android devices are not supported via USB.
Zone 2: In addition to the main listening room, you can also enjoy audio playback from a different source in another room of your home using the receiver's Zone 2 line-level outputs. By using the Zone 2 line-level outputs on the TX-8260, you can connect an external receiver or integrated amplifier in a second room, allowing you to listen to 2ch stereo in the main room and play a different 2ch audio source in another room of your home. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled from the Onkyo receiver or from your add-on integrated amplifier. Tuner, Analog, USB, Network (not DSD), and Bluetooth audio sources can be sent to Zone 2.
- Compatible Sources: Tuner, Analog, USB, Network, and Bluetooth audio sources can be played back in Zone 2.
- Incompatible Sources: Optical and Coaxial digital audio input sources cannot be played back in Zone 2. DSD audio files cannot be played back in Zone 2.
- As for Network, USB, and Bluetooth sources; you cannot select different inputs for the main room and Zone 2. For example, if a Network source been selected in the main room and then Bluetooth is selected as playback source in Zone 2, the input in the main room will also change to the Bluetooth source.
- When listening to AM/FM radio, you cannot select different stations for the main room and Zone 2.
Google Home Multiroom: Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song from a Chromecast built-in music app throughout your house at the same time. Friends and family can even use their own Chromecast compatible phone or tablet to cast music to your system by connecting to your home's WiFi network.
FireConnect MultiRoom Audio: FireConnect powered by Blackfire mirrors network audio sources and any external analog source playing through the receiver (from streaming audio to vinyl) on optional FireConnect/Blackfire wireless speakers (such as the Onkyo NCP-302, sold separately). Sampling rates up to 48 kHz are supported. FireConnect powered by Blackfire is stable, fast, and easy to control with Onkyo's Controller app for Apple iOS and Android.
Note: Make sure the Onkyo receiver has the latest firmware/software update installed. Onkyo cannot guarantee the compatibility with other devices featuring FireConnect or Blackfire.
DTS Play-Fi (Firmware Update Available): DTS Play-Fi combines DTS and WiFi to wirelessly stream high quality audio through out your home using the Play-Fi app for Apple iOS 8.0+, Android OS 4.0+, & Windows 7 PC or later. Supported music formats up to 24-bit/192kHz (including MP3, AAC, FLAC, WAV) are wirelessly streamed to the receiver at up to 24-bit/96kHz (Critical Listening Mode) or to multiple DTS Play-Fi players up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD quality sound). You can connect multiple DTS Play-Fi products together from different brands and manufacturers on the same home network to create a whole-home streaming experience. Play the same source in every room or a different song in each room. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router. Compatible sources include -
- Source Devices: DTS Play-Fi provides you with the ability to stream your music wirelessly in high-quality lossless audio from Apple iOS & Android devices, Windows laptops & desktop computers, as well as DLNA-servers on your existing home WiFi network to the Onkyo receiver. Up to eight separate wireless source devices, each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices.
- Online Music Services: DTS Play-Fi enables wireless audio streaming from the world's most popular music services & internet radio, including - Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Napster, & more.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more components, or choosing more than one audio brand like Klipsch, Martin Logan, Definitive Technology, Polk Audio, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
Sonos Connect Ready (Firmware Update Available): Instantly upgrade the music streaming capability of your Onkyo receiver with Sonos Connect (sold separately) and a free over-the-network firmware update. With the Sonos Connect connected to the Onkyo receiver via a set of stereo RCA cable, the audio system you've built around the receiver can now be part of a Sonos Wireless Multiroom Audio System (components sold separately). After a simple set up, the Onkyo receiver will seamlessly tie into Sonos, instantly turning on from network standby, changing inputs and playing at the volume you command through the Sonos controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- Functionality: Once the Onkyo receiver is connected to the Sonos Connect you will be able to send any music or source on the Sonos app to the receiver. You will also be able to group the receiver to other Sonos devices on the network or use it independently. Whenever you start playing music back from your Sonos app and the Onkyo receiver is selected, the receiver will automatically turn on and switch to the correct input.
- Compatibility: The Onkyo receiver can be used with the Sonos One, Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 or any combination of these speakers (all sold separately). You can even use the Onkyo receiver with a Playbar or Playbase (sold separately) that is located in a different room. Just remember that you need to have a Sonos Connect to connect the Onkyo receiver to the Sonos multiroom audio system.
Note: Click here to learn even more about Onkyo and Sonos working together to give you the ultimate home theater and multiroom audio experience.
Onkyo Controller App: The Onkyo Controller app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ & Android OS 4.0.3) features an intuitive, user-friendly interface that allows you to conveniently operate the Onkyo receiver from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. This app not only has the usual remote control functions, it also has a multiroom functionality for Zone 2 and wireless multiroom audio setups.
- Remote Control: You can operate general control functions (play/stop, control the volume, select the input source, etc.) from your compatible smartphone or tablet.
- Streaming Audio: Lets you play audio from built-in music streaming services (such as Pandora, Spotify, TIDAL), the music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, and your Windows PC or other DLNA-compatible server. You can also access music from Bluetooth and USB source devices.
- Multiroom Audio: Provides control over Zone 2 and wireless multiroom audio (such as FireConnect by Blackfire).
Google Home Voice Commands: With a Google Home voice-activated speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 4.2+), you can use your voice to control select functions of the Onkyo stereo receiver. With a simple voice command, you can play music from Chromecast compatible music services by artist, song, genre, album, playlist, mood or activity. You can also turn up the volume, skip to the next track, or stop the music - all without lifting a finger.
Remote Control: The receiver comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of this receiver. The TX-8260 also contains RI Control & IR Remote connections. The 3.5mm IR input jack allows you to control the receiver without line-of-sight access using an optional IR remote control system and locating the remote sensor in sight. The 3.5mm IR output jack allows you to send the control signals to an additional components. The 1/8" RI remote control jack allows you to connect this receiver to other compatible Onkyo components.
Web Control: When connected to your home's wired or wireless network, you can setup the Onkyo stereo receiver with the web control screen displayed in your PC's web browser.
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV, FLAC, and ALAC music files via USB.
Name Edit: You can enter a custom name for each individual input selector and radio preset for easy identification. When entered, the custom name will appear on the display. This function cannot be used for the Network and Bluetooth input selectors.
Display Dimmer: The front-panel display brightness has three settings - Dim, Dimmer, and Normal.
Auto Standby & Sleep Timer: The stereo receiver will automatically go into Standby mode, if there is no operation for 20 minutes with no audio signal input. The Sleep Timer can be set to automatically turn off the receiver after 30, 60, or 90 minutes.
Firmware Updates: Future firmware updates are available from the Onkyo website through the receiver's Network or USB connection. Visit Onkyo's online Download Center for the latest firmware updates.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Replace shot porch system, with inside system, and use this for inside system [ Jeffrey Jul 09, 2018 ]
Getting a new system, reviewed website for Watts and quality that was needed as well as compatibility with the other components that I was purchasing. [ Timothy Jun 09, 2018 ]
Recommended highly by a family member. [ Steve Jun 03, 2018 ]
It was suggested that it would work with my old AR3a 4 Ohm impedance speakers. [ BARBARA May 22, 2018 ]
My advisor suggested it. [ Kevin May 08, 2018 ]
Same price as Amazon and this is Crutchfields specialty [ Steve May 07, 2018 ]
Nephew told me to [ Marvin Apr 30, 2018 ]
Product information on webpage and live chat with Dwight gave me the information I needed to finalize my decision. [ Michael and Mar Apr 09, 2018 ]
It was recommended to me by Ryan through the online chat. [ Nick Apr 04, 2018 ]
multi room stereo sound [ Anthony Mar 12, 2018 ]
Features Bluetooth and Wi-Fi [ K Jan 30, 2018 ]
Simple 2.1 stereo, room for subwoofer, digital in's, wifi and Bluetooth. Good reviews, Crutchfield very competitive in price, and I rewards on account. Thanks! [ Marty Jan 18, 2018 ]
Its a "stereo" that does not need a TV to setup. [ Robert Jan 14, 2018 ]
my husband got immediate call back from Design group, and helped him determine what we should have; easy doing business with you [ Lynda Dec 26, 2017 ]
Thought it was good stero [ Anthony Dec 26, 2017 ]
Previous experience with this brand. [ Tony Dec 18, 2017 ]
Has features I need [ Don Dec 16, 2017 ]
I know that the brand is very good. Complies with what I need. [ EDWIN Dec 11, 2017 ]
I need a new receiver that supports multiple inputs and also offers Wi-Fi connectivity for music services like Pandora, TuneIn, etc. It has all of the options that I was looking for at an affordable price. Also, as I am getting ready to dust off my vinyl records, I needed a phono input to support this option. My primary purpose is to be able to listen to music with a quality system. [ Franz Dec 09, 2017 ]
I need an analog Phonograph input, 2 Room Speaker Zones, Subwoofer out, and some power, 80 watts per channel. The signal to noise rating is outstanding. This so far above our current receiver that it will take months to get use to the quality of sound that our music will have. [ J Dec 05, 2017 ]
bluetooth wifi [ Jon Nov 28, 2017 ]
Recommended by Crutchfield adviser [ Ann Nov 20, 2017 ]
A reciever with rotary Bass & Treble controls! I can tweak the tone on the fly without going to a "menu". That's not too much to ask , is it? [ Michael Nov 19, 2017 ]
I stream music and my NAD1 DAC quit, instead of $250 for a DAC2 decided to get new receiver w/wifi, after Buzz brought me up to speed on what I needed. [ Raymond Nov 17, 2017 ]
I like the one I bought last week [ Judie Nov 17, 2017 ]
needed two channel stero with all the modern connections and a decent amp. must have a good dac and streaming.this fit my needs. [ john Nov 15, 2017 ]
Best choice for a networked receiver that includes phono input. [ Albert Oct 31, 2017 ]
Been purchasing Onkyo equipment for 20+ years. Have not been disappointed with the quality. [ Frank Oct 23, 2017 ]
9 questions already asked
I have no experience with the Bose system. However, I did add a new CD player and it sounds great. [ Tim Jul 23, 2018 ]
As far as speakers go, I don't see why not? I do have CD player connected to mine - no problem. [ DAVID Jul 22, 2018 ]
Not directly. Roko to TV, then TV audio to this. This is a stereo sound receiver, not a home theater surround sound. There are no HDMI inputs or outputs. [ Marty Jul 23, 2018 ]
Not sure, I only use it as a preamp for Yamaha amp. It has multiple internet compatibllities, and I would guess yes. Contact Crutchfield via phone, if they don't know they will find out for you [ JOHN D Jul 23, 2018 ]
According to the receivers documentation AND the back panel labeling over the speaker terminals-A+B can only be 8-16 ohm speakers. A or B can be 4-16 ohm. 4 and 8 ohms used together drops the impedance level too low for the amplifier section and could damage it. Hope this helps [ Barry Apr 01, 2018 ]
The 8260 includes a preamp. [ John Feb 14, 2018 ]
It should work just fine, as long as you have the RCA cables on your turntable. Only has RCA inputs. I have a Project MM turntable and no problem. [ DENNIS J Feb 14, 2018 ]
Sorry; I cannot answer this question, but I am certain that the experts at Crutchfield can help. Give them a call. [ Stephen K. Jan 12, 2018 ]
You can if you have digital plugin on receiver and tv box like TiVo. [ kevin Jan 08, 2018 ]
I do not have TV so unfortunately I can not answer this question. But I can say that I am very pleased with my purchase and the outstanding customer service from the Crutchfield team!Enter [ Kenneth Jan 08, 2018 ]
Bought this in December for my wife's January birthday. Haven't even set it up yet. Don't know the answer. [ STEVE B Jan 08, 2018 ]
I use this receiver just for Spotify, sorry I cannot help. [ JERRY Jan 08, 2018 ]
I cannot answer this question as I am only using this unit as a FM receiver and for a CD player. Tim [ Tim Jan 08, 2018 ]
Pretty sure USA. Saddle River NJ. Very sweet piece. [ DAVID Dec 27, 2017 ]
The box says MADE IN MALAYSIA. [ ALVIN Dec 27, 2017 ]
Don't know, never checked. Try the Onkyo website? [ DAVID Dec 27, 2017 ]
Product is manufactured in Malaysia [ Chas Dec 27, 2017 ]
Yes I am running 2 sets of 8 ohm speakers, it works great! [ JERRY Jan 08, 2018 ]
Short answer is I don't know. My Crutchfield advisor helped me build my system and I relied 100% on him, Levy! [ PETER Dec 19, 2017 ]
Sorry can't help you. I cancelled this order ONLY because I realized replacing the amp would not solve my problem. [ PAT Dec 19, 2017 ]
Hi Chuck, Two weeks ago I installed my Onkyo TX-8260 receiver. The unit works good. As for speakers, I am running four speakers that are spliced into channel "A" and two speakers in Channel "B". All my speakers are 8 ohms and are repetitively small speakers. I have a relatively small house, as a result I do not need to push the volume up, to fill the house. I do not have any input as to running 4ohm speakers. Have a good one, I hope this helps. Allan [ Allan Dec 15, 2017 ]
I'm sorry Scott I am not high tech enough to answer your question, I wish I was because I love my stereo and I really liked doing business with Crutchfield, mike t [ MICHAEL F Nov 29, 2017 ]
Yes. The Album name in USB drive is displayed on the receiver front panel display if USB playback option is chosen. [ Mohan Nov 29, 2017 ]
Frequently Compared With
Stereo receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Chromecast built-in
Stereo receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and MusicCast
Harman Kardon HK 3770
Stereo receiver with wired networking and Bluetooth®
Stereo receiver with HDMI connections, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®