Garmin vivoactive 3 Music
GPS smartwatch with music player
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Garmin vivoactive 3 Music by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Add music to the mix
Garmin's vivoactive 3 Music is your workout buddy for morning runs and rides, weight work at the gym, and much more. And whatever you choose to do, it'll supply the soundtrack, thanks to storage for up to 500 songs and access to playlists from select online music apps. Topping it off, vivoactive 3 Music includes the Garmin Pay™ mobile payment solution. You can use it for cashless payments just about anywhere you can tap your card to pay. Whether it's a sports drink or an adult beverage, just tap and go for refreshment and more.
Listen to stored and online music.
Looks great; easy to use
The bright display on vivoactive 3 Music does more than just look good. Its touchscreen surface gives you easy access to all of the watch's menus and functions with Garmin's Side Swipe™ feature. And if you're into customization, use Garmin's Face-it™ app to change the display background to any picture stored on your smartphone. You can even customize the display for right- and left-handed users.
Connected to your tech
Once this Garmin is paired to your smartphone, you'll receive alerts for incoming emails, calls, texts, social media, and appointments. And you can use a variety of apps from the Connect IQ store to sync up with home automation, ride-hailing apps, weather, and more. After your workout, the watch automatically syncs with the Garmin Connect™ mobile app, so you can immediately review info about your workout or activity level on your smartphone. And Garmin Connect will sync with many other popular fitness apps, so you can easily share your workouts with your friends.
15 preloaded sports apps
From your morning yoga class to the after-work club ride, vivoactive 3 Music is ready to roll. It includes presets for running, swimming, strength, yoga, rowing, and more, and you can work with Garmin Connect to create custom workouts with your own reps, sets, and rest intervals.
Hit the links
Own every course you play with access to over 38,000 golf courses from Garmin's golf course database. Download your favorite and you'll always know layup and dogleg distances, plus yardage to the front, middle, and back of the green.
Heart rate monitoring
Garmin's Elevate™ wrist heart rate technology can track your heart rate during your exercise or throughout the day — no chest strap required. Heart rate data provides an accurate look at the calories you've burned and also provides real-time feedback on the intensity of your training efforts — giving you the edge to make your workouts really count. Based on your data, you can determine your VO2 max — an excellent indicator of your aerobic fitness.
Stay active and stay on track
The vivoactive 3 Music activity tracking app records your steps and assigns you a daily step count goal to provide you with an incentive, adjusting the count as you hit your goals. And to remind you to get up from your desk, the red move bar appears on the display after 1 hour of inactivity. Since a good night's sleep will recharge you for the next day, you can use this Garmin to record your sleep patterns.
- GPS smartwatch with color display
- fits wrist sizes of 5" to 8" (127-204 mm)
- 1.2" (30 mm) diameter display
- music player with 500 song storage and online app connection
- wrist-based heart rate monitor
- compatible with Garmin Pay™
- customizable display fields, compatible with connect iQ app for custom watch faces, widgets, and data fields
- smart notifications when paired with your smartphone
- more than 15 preloaded sports apps, including golf and yoga
- VO2 max, stress, and fitness age calculations
- activity tracker with step counter and auto goal setter
- move bar
- sleep monitoring
- compatible with Garmin Connect
- works with optional bike speed/cadence sensor
- ANT+ and Bluetooth capable with compatible devices
- compatible with Garmin Varia lights and sensors; VIRB camera remote
- 5 ATM water rating
- built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery lasts up to 7 days (13 hours in GPS mode, 5 hours GPS/music mode)
- 1-3/4"W x 1-3/4"H x 1/2"D
- weight: 1.4 oz (39 grams)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- GPS smart watch with music playback (black w/stainless hardware) with black adjustable band
- 21" USB data/charging cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary connector on other end)
- Quick Start Manual
- Important Safety and Product Information booklet
Overview: The Garmin vívoactive 3 Music is a version of the popular GPS smartwatch that lets you download up to 500 songs to your watch, and connect to your Bluetooth headphones, leaving your phone behind. The watch also has built-in sports apps that help you track your activities. With the built-in Elevate wrist-based heart rate technology, your heart rate is measured 24/7. When paired with your smartphone, vívoactive 3 Music can alert you when you receive a call, text, email, or a calendar event. You can use the device with wireless ANT+ sensors, such as the optional foot pod, temperature sensor, or bike speed/cadence sensor. The device has a waterproof rating of 5 ATM, allowing you to swim, perform outdoors in the rain, sweat, or even shower with it on. vívoactive 3 Music has a thin profile (less than 1/2") and a high-resolution color touchscreen display that you can read in the sunlight. The watch is powered by a rechargeable battery, and comes with a charging/data cable. It has an extra large band, which fits wrist circumferences of 5" to 8".
Design: The vívoactive 3 Music features an attractive, durable stainless steel bezel and a fiber-reinforced polymer and stainless steel case. The unit is equipped with a Corning Gorilla Glass 3 lens, which is shatter- and scratch-resistant.
Music Playback: The vívoactive 3 Music gives you several options for playing back music. You can connect the device to your computer using Garmin Express software and transfer up to 500 of your favorite songs. In addition, you can download select music service apps, such as iHeartRadio, and sync your customized playlists to your watch. With these two options, you can leave your phone behind while you work out. Another option is to take your phone along, and use the onboard music controls on the vívoactive 3 Music to listen to music stored on your phone. After you have selected your playback method, you can listen to your music by connecting the device to a pair of Bluetooth wireless headphones.
Garmin Connect: The vívoactive 3 Music has built-in Bluetooth Smart technology so you can automatically pair it to your smartphone or mobile device. You can also use the supplied charging/data cable to connect the device to your home computer. With the Garmin Connect app on your smartphone or computer, you can keep track of your activities, your daily goals, the calories you've burned, and help motivate you to keep active. You can also share your activities and goals with your friends on social media. Garmin Connect for your home computer is compatible with Windows 7 SP1 and newer and Mac OS 10.10 or higher. Garmin Connect Mobile works with Bluetooth 4.0-enabled devices running Android (version varies with device) and iOS 9.0 and above.
Sports Apps: The vívoactive 3 Music contains several sports apps that you can use to track your activities, including both indoor and outdoor activities. Some apps require you to pair the vívoactive 3 Music to a compatible smartphone. Optional ANT+ sensors can provide additional data to the tracked activity. In addition, the Find My Phone app can help you locate a lost phone that is connected to the watch via Bluetooth. Sports Apps that are available for the vívoactive 3 Music include running, biking, skiing, swimming, golfing, strength training, and treadmill workouts.
History: The vívoactive 3 Music gives you access to up to 14 days of activity tracking and heart rate monitoring, and up to seven timed activities. Your saved activity data is automatically uploaded to the Garmin Connect Mobile app. When the built-in storage becomes full, the oldest files are deleted to make room for new data.
Widgets: The device comes preloaded with Widgets that provide information at a glance, track specific activities, or allow you to perform specific activities on your smartphone. Some of the widgets require a Bluetooth connection with the smartphone. By swiping the display, you can cycle through the following widgets:
- Calendar: Displays upcoming meetings from your smartphone's calendar
- Music Controls: Control the music player on your smartphone: play/pause, next track, and previous track.
- Weather: Current temperature and weather forecast are displayed.
- My Day: Displays a summary of your activity today, including your last recorded sport, intensity minutes, floors climbed, steps, calories burned, and more.
- Activity Tracking: The device tracks your daily step count, step goal, distance traveled, calories burned, and sleep statistics.
- Steps: The unit logs your steps and keeps track of your daily count, step goal, and distance traveled.
- Intensity Minutes: Keeps track of the number of minutes spent participating in moderate to vigorous activities, and compares them to your weekly goal.
- Heart Rate: Displays your current heart rate in beats per minute (BPM) and graph form.
- Last Sport: Gives a brief summary of your last recorded sport.
- Calories: Shows your daily count of calories burned.
- Golf: Displays information on your last recorded round of golf.
- Floors Climbed: Keeps track of the number of floors climbed and progress toward your goal.
- Stress: Displays your stress level, and provides a breathing activity to help you relax.
- VIRB Remote: The vívoactive 3 Music can wirelessly control a paired Garmin VIRB Action Camera remotely.
- Notifications: The vívoactive 3 Music will gently vibrate to alert you if you receive a phone call, text, social network update, and more, based on your smartphone notification settings.
Garmin Pay: The Garmin Pay feature allows you to use your watch to pay for purchases at participating stores using a stored credit or debit card from a participating financial institution. After you have set up a credit/debit card on your watch, you can pay for purchases by pressing the key, entering your four-digit passcode, and aim the watch at the payment reader within 60 seconds. The watch will vibrate and display a check mark if payment is accepted. Multiple cards can be stored in the device, and you can swipe the face to choose a desired card.
Connect IQ: The Connect IQ Store, found on the Garmin Connect Mobile app, allows you to add extra features to your vívoactive 3 Music. You can download custom watch faces, new data fields for sensor activity, more Widgets, and additional apps.
Navigation: The vívoactive 3 Music is equipped with GPS, allowing you to use the device to save locations, navigate to locations, and find your way back to the start of your activity. This is helpful if you are running or biking in an unfamiliar city, of hiking a trail for the first time. In addition to GPS navigation, the device has a 3-axis compass with automatic calibration.
Rechargeable Battery: The vívoactive 3 Music is powered by a built-in Lithium-polymer rechargeable battery. When in GPS mode while playing music, the battery life is up to 5 hours. The battery lasts approximately 13 hours in GPS mode (without music), and up to 7 days in Smartwatch mode with heart rate, but no GPS or music. The battery is charged when the watch is attached to the charging/data cable, and the cable is plugged into a USB port on your computer or a USB power port.
USB Cable: The included USB cable is used for charging the battery, as well as data uploads to Garmin Connect. The USB port is located on the back of the watch.
Interchangeable Wrist Bands: You can customize the look of your vívoactive 3 Music with interchangeable wrist bands (sold separately). Standard 20mm Quick Release bands are compatible. Tools needed to swap the wrist bands are included with the accessory bands.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.