9.2-channel home theater receiver with Dolby Atmos®
Item # 158ZA5000E | MFR # 12013304
Price Break: -$600.00
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Sony STR-ZA5000ES by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Cutting-edge home theater with advanced control options
Sony's flagship receiver brings you thrilling home theater with plenty of cool control options. The STR-ZA5000ES integrates seamlessly with several popular third-party control systems for fully automated entertainment in today's smart homes. You can dial in your ideal settings for movie nights, and with the touch of a button, the lights go down, the blinds close, the A/C kicks on, and your movie starts playing. Even if you're not quite there yet, you'll appreciate state of the art features like 4K picture quality for the ultimate movie and TV realism. Dolby Atmos adds a new dimension to home theater sound, drawing you into the scene with incredibly accurate surround effects.
Convenient home automation capability
Home automation simplifies your life and heightens your enjoyment of movies, TV, and music. The 'ZA5000ES is compatible with leading home automation systems like Crestron, Control4, and Savant. An 8-port Ethernet hub lets you pass through network connections from your router to other devices. Two of the ports offer power-over-Ethernet so the receiver can supply power to compatible devices like IP cameras, intercom systems, and lighting controllers.
For all the features it offers, the STR-ZA5000ES is easy to use. The on-screen guide offers straightforward navigation of the receiver's features and settings. Custom presets allow one-button recall of sources and sound settings. You can have a preset for late-night viewing, for example, that turns on your Blu-ray player, switches the receiver to the right input, and keeps the volume low. Or you can make a preset for watching concert videos with the sound dialed in just the way you like it.
Music and video in different rooms
If you want a stereo music setup outside your home theater, you can configure the STR-ZA5000ES' surround back or height channels for music playback in a second zone. Then you can relax in your listening room or on your porch while others watch a movie with 7.2-channel surround sound in the living room. This receiver's dual-zone HDMI switching lets you send video signals to a second TV, so you can catch up on your shows in the bedroom while the kids watch a movie in the living room. There are also line-level outputs for adding speakers in a third room with an additional receiver or amp.
Power and Processing:
- 9-channel amplifier
- 120 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for more enveloping home theater sound
- supports 5.1.2, 5.1.4, and 7.1.2 Atmos setups
- supports a 7.1.4 Atmos setup with an external power amplifier
- DTS:X™ for an immersive, 3-dimensional soundstage (available via future firmware update)
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for easy, accurate speaker setup
- upscales standard-definition video signals to HD and Ultra HD (up to 4K)
- 8-port Ethernet hub for connecting to your home network and accommodating other network-ready components
- power-over-Ethernet capability, for powering compatible network-ready devices (ports 1 and 2)
- web browser control via PC or tablet for setting up receiver and adjusting settings
- network connection offers IP control for use with custom home automation systems
- 4 custom presets for one-button recall of source and settings
- built-in support for Control4, Crestron, AMX Beacon, Savant, and other home automation systems
- IR, 12-volt trigger, and RS232C connections for use with external controllers
Audio Performance Features:
- surround back channels can be reconfigured for bi-amping compatible front speakers
- high-quality construction and components for optimized sound quality
- In-Ceiling Speaker mode virtually relocates sound from front and center in-ceiling speakers to the front of the room for improved synchronization with your TV
- three-room/three-source output
- line-level stereo audio outputs for 2nd and 3rd rooms
- surround back channels can be reassigned as powered Zone 2 outputs (allows 7.2 home theater in main room)
- HDMI dual-zone switching for watching HD content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- Zone 2 composite video output
- HDMI, optical, and coaxial digital sources cannot be output to Zone 3
- HDMI 2.0a audio/video switching: 6 in, 2 out (including 1 front-panel input)
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (all HDMI inputs and monitor outputs)
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10
- 2 component video inputs
- composite video switching: 2 in, 2 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 1 coaxial
- 4 analog stereo audio inputs
- 2 analog stereo audio outputs (variable)
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- 11.2-channel preamp outputs
- outputs for 11 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height 1 L/R, Height 2 L/R)
- receiver can power a maximum of nine channels at once
- front-panel USB port for firmware updates and backing up receiver settings (plays WAV files from a connected USB flash drive)
- detachable power cable
- 4K and 3D pass-through
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- BRAVIA Sync for one-remote operation with compatible Sony components
- intuitive on-screen user interface (via HDMI only)
- 60 AM/FM presets
- remote control
- 17"W x 6-7/8"H x 17-13/16"D
- weight: 37.75 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 9.2ch AV receiver
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (RM-AAU217)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Auto-calibration microphone
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Operating Instructions
- Startup Guide
- Speaker Connection note
- US Warranty
- Canada Warranty
- Online Product Registration
Extremely flexible installation options, very easy to set up, lots of power, and wonderful sound.
Anonymous, Clayton, MO
Sony STR-ZA5000ES Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
ES (Elevated Standard) Series: The Sony STR-ZA5000ES AV receiver is part of Sony's ES (Elevated Standard) line-up. The AV receiver's incredible sound quality comes from care and craftsmanship with the ultimate goal of creating powerful sound while eliminating distortion. Carefully selected parts tuned for high-resolution sound with amazing clarity are combined with technology developed specifically for the ES-line. The STR-ZA5000ES comes with an industry leading 5-year parts and labor warranty, 90-day advanced exchange program, and dedicated toll-free support line staffed by CEDIA-trained product experts (1-877-619-7669; Monday - Friday 10am - 7pm ET).
- Every detail from the removable aluminum faceplate, to electronic component selection, special 2nd generation ES solder, structural/chassis elements, and even screw placement has been scrutinized and tuned in the higher interest of reliably consistent sound performance.
- The STR-ZA5000ES offers improved structural stability for better sound via the analogue signal path. This circuit is located on a glass epoxy board, in order to achieve higher speed and power.
- The STR-ZA5000ES is Sony's best-sounding AV receiver, featuring a new power transformer that is over 50% larger than the one in the STR-ZA5000ES, a new Linear Wide Band Power Amplifier and gold-plated speaker terminals, and a redesigned, reinforced chassis
Assignable 9-Channel Amplifier: The Sony STR-ZA5000ES AV receiver is equipped with a 9-channel amplifier rated at 120 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20kHz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels). The AV receiver's amplifier channels can be configured to accommodate your type of home theater setup.
- Dolby Atmos (5.1.2/5.1.4/7.1.2/7.1.4*): You can configure the Sony ES receiver's amplifier channels for a 5.1.4, 7.1.2, or 7.1.4* Dolby Atmos setup. A 7.1.4* Dolby Atmos configuration will also require an additional external stereo power amplifier. In a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup, you can reassign the Surround Back amplifier channels to either Bi-Amp the front speaker or power a pair of Zone 2 speakers.
- 7.1ch + Zone 2: If you are connecting a 7.1ch speaker system in the main room (Front, Center, Surround, & Surround Back), you can configure the receiver's Height 1 amplifier channels to power a pair of Zone 2 speaker; allowing you to place a pair of speakers in another room of the house. Zone 2 can be play the same source or a different source as your main zone.
- 7.1ch + Front Bi-Amp: If you want to connect 7.1ch speaker system (Front, Height, Center, & Surround), you can configure the receiver's Surround Back amplifier channels to Bi-Amp your front speakers. A bi-amplification connection uses two amplifiers for one speaker. One amplifier is connected to the woofer section of a loudspeaker while the other is connected to the combined midrange and tweeter section. With this arrangement each amplifier operates over a limited frequency range, making its job easier.
- 7.1ch + Front B: If you want to connect a 7.1ch speaker system (Front, Height, Center, & Surround), you can configure the receiver's Surround Back amplifier channels to power a pair of Front B Speakers; allowing you to switch between your home theater speakers and your dedicated stereo speakers.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP) & Supported Digital Audio Formats: The Sony ES receiver incorporates a powerful DSP that supports the latest surround sound formats and ensures the highest accuracy in the decoding of a variety of Dolby Digital, DTS, DSD & PCM audio formats. The digital audio formats that this receiver can decode depend on the digital audio output jacks of the connected device. This receiver supports the following audio formats
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||8ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|DSD||2-6ch, 2.8/5.6MHz, 1-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X (firmware update), DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution|
|Optical/Coaxial||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||6ch, 32-96Hz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
Immersive Surround Sound: The Sony STR-ZA5000ES AV receiver goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats, including Dolby Atmos & DTS:X (future firmware update required for DTS:X).
- Dolby Atmos: The Sony ES receiver will enhance properly
designed systems with
Dolby Atmos where sound comes alive from all directions, including
overhead, to fill the home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail
and depth. The Sony ES receiver has the processing power to run a more
enveloping Dolby Atmos layout (up to 7.1.4*) utilizing front-height, ceiling
mounted, and/or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (sold separately).
- 5.1.2ch: A 5.1.2 speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by one pair of Front Height, Overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- 5.1.4ch: A 5.1.4 speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by a pair of Top Front & Top Rear speakers or a pair of Dolby Atmos-enabled front & rear speakers.
- 7.1.2ch: A 7.1.2 speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 7.1 speaker layout complemented by one pair of Front Height, Overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- 7.1.4ch*: A 7.1.4 speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 7.1 speaker layout complemented by a pair of top front & top rear speakers or a pair of Dolby Atmos-enabled front & rear speakers. *Requires an external power amp for the Top Rear or Dolby Atmos-enabled rear speakers.
- DTS:X (Future Firmware Update): DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space. DTS:X will be enabled through an online firmware update coming later this year.
Post Decoding Formats: The Sony STR-ZA5000ES receiver supports Dolby Surround, DTS Neural:X, & DTS Neo:6 (Music/Cinema) to enhance 2-channel and multichannel decoding formats.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch and multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- DTS Neural:X (Future Firmware Update): DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
- DTS Neo:6: DTS Neo:6 is an advanced matrix decoder that takes any two-channel source (including television broadcasts, CDs and DVDs) and expands it into five or six channels. It also provides separate, optimized modes for stereo music materials and matrix surround motion picture soundtracks. DTS Neo:6 brings you a more revealing sound from ordinary stereo and a more expansive home cinema experience.
Direct Stream Digital (DSD): Enjoy studio-quality sound thanks to the Direct Stream Digital (DSD) audio codec; designed specifically for High-Resolution Audio. This 1-bit format utilizes a stream of very high frequency 1s and 0s to recreate audio waveforms at a higher resolution than conventional codecs. The result is clearer, crisper, High-Resolution Audio quality. The Sony ES receiver supports DSD 2.8/5.6MHz (up to 5.1ch) decoding thru HDMI.
Direct Modes: The Sony AV receiver offers two Direct audio modes for higher fidelity sound - Analog Direct & Pure Direct. The receiver's Analog Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active. To further enhance sound quality, the receiver's Pure Direct mode not only bypasses the tone and DSP processing, but also turns off the front-panel display to suppress any noise which may affect sound quality.
D.C.A.C. EX + A.P.M: The Sony STR-ZA5000ES is equipped with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration EX & Automatic Phase Matching Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position, check for phase, and distinguish frequency characteristics of each speaker. The microphone plugs into the "Auto Cal Mic" input on front of the receiver. You can select between four calibration modes.
- Full Flat: Makes the measurement of frequency from each speaker flat.
- Engineer: Sets to "the Sony listening room standard" frequency characteristics.
- Front Reference: Adjusts the characteristics of all of
the speakers to match the characteristics of the front
- Off/Manual: No auto calibration is applied. You can then choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
D.L.L. (Digital Legato Linear) & Sound Optimizer: The Digital Legato Linear function is a Sony proprietary technology that allows low quality digital audio signals and analog audio signal to be played back with high quality sound. The Sound Optimizer lets you enjoy clear and dynamic sound at low volume levels. It automatically calibrates the sound which cannot be heard well when you turn down the volume level. After Auto Calibration is performed, the sound level is optimized to suit your environment.
DRC & EQ: The DRC feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track; you can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources). You can also adjust the tonal quality (bass & treble level) of all connected speakers.
Center Lift & Dialog Control: By using front high speakers, you can lift up the sounds of the center speaker to an appropriate height on the screen, allowing you to enjoy a more natural representation. The DTS:X Dialog Control function is a function which adjusts the dialog levels during playback of the DTS:X stream. This function enables you to increase the dialog levels in contrast with the background sound and hear dialog easily even under noisy circumstances.
In-Ceiling Speaker Mode: Sony has developed a new special sound mode for in-ceiling speaker installation. This feature will virtually relocate the front and center in-ceiling speakers down to around the screen. That way, you'll hear the actors' voices coming from the screen instead of the ceiling. This mode also makes music sound more natural in a room with in-ceiling speakers.
Binding-Post Speaker Terminals: The AV receiver is equipped with binding post terminals for all speaker channels. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (dual or single). Use speakers with a 4- to 16-ohm impedance.
11.2ch Pre-Outs: The AV receiver features 11.2-channel RCA pre-outs (Front, Center, Surround, Surround Back, Height 1, Height 2, & Dual Sub) for connection to external power amplifiers. The pre-outs are variable.
HDMI 2.0a: The Sony STR-ZA5000ES is equipped with six HDMI 2.0a inputs (5 rear/1 front) and two HDMI 2.0a outputs. The receiver's HDMI 2.0a jacks are compatible with 4K/60Hz video, HDCP 2.2, 4:4:4 color subsampling, as well as HDR (High Dynamic Range) & BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut.
- 4K/60Hz Pass-Through: 4K/60Hz pass-through allows the Sony STR-ZA5000ES to receive ultra high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K/60Hz compatible TV or display monitor. The receiver supports 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, & 4K video signals.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the receiver's HDMI jacks. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The receiver's rear-panel HDMI jacks support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4 color subsampling for more vibrant and lifelike images, as well as YCbCr 4:2:2 and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling. With 4:4:4, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail. The front-panel HDMI input only supports up to 4:2:0.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail. This receiver supports the HDR 10 format right out of the box. It requires an already available firmware update for Dolby Vision and HLG.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
HDMI Upconversion & Upscaling to 4K: The Sony AV receiver's HDMI upconvert/upscale function improves image quality of non-4K sources to ultra-HD. Analog connected device signals (component/composite) are converted to digital, upscaled to 4K, and output via HDMI, making one cable connection from the receiver to your TV possible. 1080p HDMI input video signals are also upscaled to 4K. HDMI Zone 2 supports analog-to-HDMI upconversion, but does not support upscaling.
Dual HDMI Outputs: The dual HDMI outputs can simultaneously output the same HDMI audio/video signal to two TVs, or you can assign the second HDMI output to Zone 2 to display a different HDMI source in another room (video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs).
Other HDMI Features: Other HDMI features of the Sony STR-ZA5000ES receiver include 3D video, HDMI Standby Pass-Through, A/V Sync, and ARC.
- 3D-Ready: The Sony AV receiver supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver.
- A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay can be adjusted from 0-300 ms or set to Auto.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the receiver's main HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Color Technologies: The Sony STR-ZA5000ES incorporates Triluminos Color, Deep Color, & x.v.Color technologies for perfect color and smooth gradation.
- Triluminos Color: The Sony receiver incorporates Sony's Triluminos Color technology to create a heightened sense of depth and incredibly true, natural shades of colors. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better too, with natural skin tones.
- Deep Color: The Sony receiver also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed.
- x.v.Color: The AV receiver supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
Analog Video Inputs: The STR-ZA5000ES receiver is fitted with two analog composite video inputs, one composite video monitor output, and a Zone 2 composite video output. The composite video jacks support 480i video signals only. The receiver also features two component video inputs that can support up to 1080i. The analog video inputs can also be upconverted and output via the receiver's main HDMI monitor output jack.
Last Video Mode: The receiver can continuously output the input video image used most recently when an audio-only input source is selected.
8-Port Giga Ethernet Hub: The Sony STR-ZA5000ES AV receiver is equipped with eight Ethernet (RJ-45) ports so you can use the receiver as a hub and connect your other network components to your router through the AV receiver. Ethernet ports 1 and 2 even support PoE, Power over Ethernet. The following system environment is required to use the network function of this receiver.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network.
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
Music Connect: Sony's unique Music Connect feature allows the Sony STR-ZA5000ES AV receiver to slave to the HAP-Z1ES Hi Res Audio player (158HAPZ1ES, sold separately) This allows integrators to combine the power of an ES-grade multichannel sound system with today's digital music libraries.
Remote Monitoring: The STR-ZA5000ES allows cloud-based monitoring of power status, temperature and product Protect status through Ihiji, allowing integrators to remotely monitor the health of the product.
Web Control: You can control this AV receiver from a web control screen on your Windows PC's web browser. The Sony STR-ZA5000ES and your PC must be connected to the same home network.
Ping Button: Easing the IP integration process is the addition of a "PING" button on the front of the unit for quick access to unit-specific IP information (IP and MAC address) via the front display and also easy sharing of unit 'discovery' protocols with 3rd party CI controllers
Front-Panel USB-A Port: You can play back WAV music files (16/24-bit; 44.1-96kHz) on a USB flash drive connected to the receiver's front-panel USB-A port. The receiver's front-panel buttons can be used for playback control (Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Fast Forward/Rewind). There is not song/artist info displayed on the front-panel or the on-screen menu. With the AV receiver's front-panel USB-A port, you can also easily apply system updates and during setup, save all receiver settings to a flash drive for backing up and porting over to another unit to replicate settings. Firmware updates can be checked here.
AM/FM Tuner: The STR-Z55000ES has 30 presets each for AM and FM for a total of 60. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name.
HDMI Zone 2: The Sony STR-ZA5000ES HDMI Zone 2 function allows you to send analog & digital audio/video to a second room of your home. You can enjoy the same audio/video source as in the main zone or a different source. HDMI Zone 2 supports up to 4K video and up to 5.1ch audio. Volume of HDMI Zone 2 will be controlled by your secondary TV or AV receiver in the other room.
- Compatible Sources: HDMI, Component, & Composite video sources; HDMI (up to 5.1ch), Optical/Coaxial (2Ch PCM only), Analog audio sources, and Tuner.
- Incompatible Sources: The receiver cannot output a different analog signal to HDMI Zone 2 while an analog signal of the main zone is being output from the receiver's HDMI Monitor Output. Multi-channel stream signals are automatically converted to 2 channels signals, and then output to Zone 2 if the same source signals as the main zone are selected in Zone 2.
Zone 2 Line-Level/Speaker Outputs + Composite Video: Tuner, Analog, HDMI, and Optical/Digital input sources are supported in Zone 2 when using the receiver's Line-Level or Speaker output. The line-level or Speaker Outputs of Zone 2 only support 2ch PCM (not multichannel Dolby Digital/DTS). Using the line-level outputs, Zone 2 can be powered by a separate amplifier, keeping 7.1ch playback in your main room). Using the speaker-level outputs of the STR-ZA5000ES allows you to power Zone 2 from the receiver's built-in amplifier, limiting the main room to 5.1ch. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Sony receiver using either configuration or from your add-on integrated amplifier when using the line-output. Zone 2 also features a composite video output jack which allows you to watch the receiver's composite video input sources in a second room of your home.
- Compatible Sources: Tuner, Analog, HDMI (2ch PCM only), and Optical/Digital (2ch PCM only) audio input sources are supported in Zone 2 when using the receiver's line-level or speaker-level outputs.
- Incompatible Sources: HDMI & Component video are not supported by Zone 2's Composite video output.
Zone 3 Line-Level Output: Zone 3 allows playback of an analog audio source in 2-channel stereo in a third room of your home. Zone 3 only features stereo line-level outputs, so a separate power amplifier is needed to power the speakers in this zone. The volume of Zone 3 can be controlled by the Sony receiver or your add-on integrated amplifier.
- Compatible Sources: Tuner and Analog audio input sources are supported in Zone 3.
- Incompatible Sources: Analog video, HDMI audio/video, and Optical/Digital audio sources cannot be output to Zone 3.
Party Mode: When you select Party mode, Zone 2 and Zone 3 are turned on automatically and you can simultaneously enjoy the same music (regardless of input source) as the main zone in these zones.
Remote + Bravia Sync: The supplied remote is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders. Sony's Bravia Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
Control System Integration: The STR-ZA5000ES is controllable over IP, includes 12V trigger output, RS-232C port, and IR input/outputs for more installation options.
- RS-232C Port: The STR-ZA5000ES includes an RS-232C port for connection to external whole-house control systems, from companies such as AMX & Crestron.
- IP Control: You can control this AV receiver from a web control screen on your Windows PC's web browser. The STR-ZA5000ES and your PC must be connected to the same home network. The receiver is also Control 4 certified for custom remote integration.
- IR Input/Outputs: The Sony AV receiver is equipped with one IR input and two IR outputs enabling you to operate components connected to the receiver behind a closed door.
- 12V Triggers: The STR-ZA5000ES has three minijack outputs to send a 12-Volt DC turn-on signal to other components that accept a 12V trigger.
Advanced On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Wizard: You can display the receiver's on-screen menu on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. You can easily access and manage your input devices and settings with this intuitive 6-panel "activity based" on-screen menu. The STR-ZA5000ES on-screen, set-up wizard will take you through everything you need to create and control your home theater experience.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Custom Presets: The Sony AV receiver features 4 Custom Preset buttons (Movie, Music, Party, and Night) on the remote control to make operating the receiver easier. Pressing a Preset button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button; such as powering on the receiver, switching to the appropriate source input, and recalling the selected DSP surround mode.
- Custom Preset 1 (Movie): Pressing the Custom Preset 1 button turns on the receiver and lets you access a video source (default BD/DVD) with its saved soundfield.
- Custom Preset 2 (Music): Pressing the Custom Preset 2 button turns on the receiver and lets you access an audio source (default SACD/CD) with its saved soundfield.
- Custom Preset 3 (Party): Pressing the Custom Preset 3 button turns the AV receiver's Zone 2 on automatically and simultaneously plays the same music in Zone 2 as the main zone (regardless of source or input); volume level will be the same in both Zone.
- Custom Preset 4 (Night): Pressing the Custom Preset 4 button turns the AV receiver's sleep timer function on for 30 minutes and activates the receiver's Sound Optimizer.
Note: These buttons can also be reconfigured to automatically select other sources and soundfields.
Input Modes & Naming: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch. You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 30 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Sony's top of the line receiver that can accommodate a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos setup (with an amp). It was an open box item with a discount. [ Casey Dec 11, 2017 ]
Sony - The one and only [ E Feb 21, 2017 ]
HDCP 2.2 on all HDMI interfaces. When I previously looked, the 5000 did not have that - just one interface and passthru. I tried an Marantz and it sounded horrible. I have been waiting for Sony to upgrade its HDMIs and now that they have, I'm ready to plunk down a big chunk of change. [ Kenneth Oct 03, 2016 ]
Compatibility [ Andrew Jul 20, 2016 ]
2 questions already asked
Sony (and nearly all other A/V receiver manufacturer's today) only rates the power output with 2-channels driven. While the STR-ZA5000ES model produces 120 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000Hz) at 0.09% THD with 2-channels driven; you can expect it to produce roughly the same power output with all 9-channels driven as well. Hope that helps! [ Larry Oct 19, 2016 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
9.2-channel home theater receiver with Dolby Atmos®
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3070
9.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, MusicCast, and Dolby Atmos®
9.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Dolby Atmos®, DTS:X, and HEOS
Denon AVR-X6400H IN-Command
11.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Dolby Atmos®, DTS:X™, and HEOS