Monitor Audio CT280IDC
"Trimless 200" Series 3-way in-ceiling speaker with 8" woofer
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Monitor Audio CT280IDC by Crutchfield's James Ralston
Think in-ceiling speakers are just for background music? Think again.
Just because a speaker keeps a low visual profile, that doesn't mean it can't make a bold statement when you crank it up. We appreciate all the speaker design know-how Monitor Audio has poured into the CT280-IDC, and we think your ears will appreciate it, too. Lots of in-ceiling speakers have aimable tweeters, so you can direct the high frequencies toward your favorite listening spot. Monitor Audio takes that idea a step further. They've mounted a 1" tweeter and 4" midrange driver together on a pivoting module, so you get more direct sound in the critical midrange as well. That means better clarity, detail, and spatial imaging.
High-tech drivers for better sound
One of Monitor Audio's hallmarks technologies is their "C-CAM" driver material. It's a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy that originally debuted in jet engine components. It's super-lightweight and strong, which allows the drivers to respond very quickly and precisely, for accurate sound. The CT265-IDC has three separate drivers, all made from this material: a 1" dome tweeter, a 4" midrange, and a sizeable 8" woofer. The tweeter is treated with an anodized layer of gold for smooth, extended high-frequency response.
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) driver material for high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- 4" C-CAM inverted midrange driver with RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- 8" C-CAM woofer
- pivoting IDC® (Inverted Dual Concentric) midrange/tweeter module lets you direct the sound toward your desired listening area
- recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
- frequency response: 50-30,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- high-frequency level adjustment switch (+3dB, 0dB, -3dB)
- boundary compensation switch for optimum sound quality when placing speaker near a wall
- patented Tri-Grip® mounting system ensures maximum surface seal for better bass and midrange clarity
- paintable bezel and removable magnetic steel grille
- overall diameter (including grille): 11-1/4"
- cutout diameter: 9-3/4"
- mounting depth: 4-1/8"
- weight: 7-1/2 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-ceiling loudspeaker
- Magnetic grille
- Paint skim
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Limited Warranty/Registration Card
These speakers were easy to install, if you have access to your attic. Just a screwdriver and a drywall saw is all that is needed. Sounds great and makes a perfect addition for additional surround sound to your regular system or in an ATMOS system if you have that capability.
Mike, Riverside, CA
Monitor Audio CT280IDC Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Power Range (Watts)||30-120|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
3-Way Speaker Design: The Monitor Audio CT280-IDC in-ceiling loudspeaker features an 8" C-CAM bass driver and a pivoting IDC module, housing a 4" C-CAM RST inverted midrange driver and a 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter. This true 3-way design provide rich midrange detail, higher system output, greater power handling, and superior vocal intelligibility and sound localization.
IDC Module: The Monitor Audio CT280-IDC in-ceiling speaker employs a unique pivoting Inverted Dual Concentric (IDC) midrange/tweeter module offering up to 18 degrees of pivot. This allows for the in-ceiling speaker to be discreetly positioned and the sound to be directed toward the listening zone by pivoting the IDC driver module to maximize performance. With the IDC module installed, the Custom Install series in-ceiling speaker by Monitor Audio becomes a true 3-way design, offering superior performance and flexibility over typical 2-way or fixed angle speakers. Within the proprietary IDC module an inverted 4" midrange driver provides superior dispersion while enabling the midrange cone and tweeter dome assembly to be set as far forward as possible, allowing the clear acoustics of the desired listening zone and reducing undesirable diffraction effects. It's impossible to avoid diffraction effects from conventional two-way designs, which locate the bass driver 3" to 6" behind the speaker grille.
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM drivers are used throughout the CT280-IDC in-ceiling loudspeaker, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Midrange and Bass Driver: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology): The CT280-IDC in-ceiling speaker's inverted midrange driver combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone. The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), these midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
Controls: Optimum imaging and set-up are established via the high frequency level adjustment (+3/0/-3 dB) and boundary compensation controls (On/Off).
Trimless Grille: The CT280-IDC in-ceiling speaker features a "Trimless" steel-mesh grille that is held in place by high strength Neodymium magnets covering the entire speaker for a true trimless, stealth look. The grille is paintable to blend with the living environment; additional scrim material is provided for trouble free painting.
Tri-Grip Fixing System: Monitor Audio's innovative Tri-Grip fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes but provides three times the surface area and a better surface seal, maximizing bass response and midrange clarity. The Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation.
Note: This Custom Install series loudspeaker can only be fixed into drywall and suspended ceilings with a thickness of up to 1.75".
Spring-Post Terminals: The Monitor Audio CT280-IDC is fitted with two spring-post terminals to connect your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals which accept bare wire (up to 10AWG) and angled pin-connectors.
Protective Covers: The CT280-IDC features dust protection covers that are designed to prevent the ingress of dirt or dust into the driver and crossover.
Moisture & Fire Resistant: The Custom Install series in-ceiling speaker is splash and humidity proof for installation in shower rooms or pool areas. It also uses fire retardant materials specified to UL-94 VO rating.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.