8" 2-way powered PA speaker — 1,100W peak
Item # 845DXR8 | MFR # DXR8
$549.99 each Earn up to 550 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Consult a pro audio advisor
Our VA-based experts can help.
Our take on the Yamaha DXR8 by Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
Yamaha makes it sound good
Yamaha has been building musical instruments for well over a hundred years, so they know a thing or two about acoustics. They used that knowledge and skill to design and build the DXR8 active loudspeaker. Each DXR8 speaker is a self-contained PA system, including high- and low-frequency drivers, amplifiers, digital signal processing, dynamic limiting, and a 3-channel mixer all mounted in a rugged, non-resonant, and lightweight ABS enclosure.
Loud and versatile
Each sturdy DXR8 cabinet houses a 8" woofer, a 1.4" compression driver, and 1,100 watts of amplification. This compact and efficient speaker from Yamaha can produce astounding sound pressure levels — up to 129 dB. You can put a single DXR8 in a classroom, restaurant, or small auditorium, for instance, plug in a microphone, and talk through a compact and very portable public address system so everyone can hear you clearly throughout the room. You can even play music directly from an instrument and your portable music player through this speaker. As part of a larger PA, a pair of DXR8s can deliver your performance with incredible power and clarity, at levels that everyone can feel as well as hear.
DXR8 mounted on optional speaker stand
You can use your DXR8 on stage as a floor monitor or on a stand as a main PA speaker, and mounting options are available for permanent installations. The "D-CONTOUR" selector enhances the bass and treble for permanently mounted or pole-mounted speakers, or reduces bass for stage monitors, where the floor would normally boost it. High-pass filters let you trim the low bass out of the DXR8 to maximize its performance when matched up with a Yamaha DXS12 or DXS15 subwoofer.
Yamaha engineered the two drivers, the two built-in amplifiers, and the enclosure to all work perfectly together, while extensive protection circuitry ensures the speaker long-term reliability. Microprocessors separately monitor the power supply, the amps, and the two drivers for any overheating or overloading conditions and either limit the amps' outputs or shut them down for the safety of the whole speaker.
2-way powered PA speaker
- 8" cone woofer, 1" throat compression driver with 1.4" diaphragm
- maximum SPL: 129 dB
- maximum output power: 1,100 watts
- nominal coverage: 90-degrees horizontal, 60-degrees vertical
- frequency response: 57-20,000 Hz
- non-resonant ABS enclosure with steel grille and aluminum handle
- 3-channel mixer with level controls (-inf to +10 dB)
- ch 1: mono XLR mic/line balanced input with XLR output for connecting another speaker system
- ch 2: stereo pair 1/4" TS phone line unbalanced inputs
- ch 3: stereo pair RCA phono line unbalanced inputs
- Link Out line output sends mix for another speaker
- Stereo Link mode sends right input channels to Link Out for left-right stereo PA operation
- 48-bit DSP (digital signal processor)
- 24-bit AD/DA converters
- switchable high-pass filter (off, 100, 120 Hz)
- D-CONTOUR EQ/compressor optimizes sound for use (off, front of house/main, floor monitor)
- FIR-X crossover includes EQ and time delay optimized for the high- and low-frequency drivers
- dynamic limiters set to protect the sound and the hardware
- protection circuitry mutes output when an overload or fault is detected
- two Class D amplifiers
- low frequency amplifier: 950 watts (600 watts RMS)
- high frequency amplifier: 150 watts (150 watts RMS)
- 1-3/8" (35 mm) socket for optional speaker stand with dual-angle feature (0-degrees horizontal or 7-degrees downward)
- rigging points for hanging or mounting with optional mounting hardware
- optional protective carry bag available
- weight: 29.8 lbs
- dimensions: 11"W x 18"H x 11"D
- warranty: 7 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Active PA speaker
- Owner's Manual
Yamaha DXR8 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Drivers per speaker||2|
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.4|
|System Frequency response||57-20k|
|RMS Power rating||700|
|Program Power rating||---|
|Peak Power rating||1100|
|Mic Inputs||1 XLR|
|Line Inputs||Phone (2), RCA (2)|
|Tone Controls||FOH/Main mode|
Powered PA (Pro Audio) Speaker: One of the advantages of an active loudspeaker is that the combination of drivers and amps can be perfectly optimized. During the development of the DXR Series speaker, Yamaha measured and tested the durability of each driver and the overall amp output through countless indoor and outdoor listening tests. Based on the test results, Yamaha was able to set the optimal limiter point for each model using precise DSP control. A microprocessor and high-power DSP monitor the status of the power supply, power amplifiers, drivers, and ongoing signals to protect all aspects of each component. As a result, the speaker can perform to its full potential while ensuring reliable operation in even the most severe conditions.
- 700W (RMS)/1100W (Peak) Class-D Amplifier: The DXR series speaker is equipped with highly efficient Class-D amplifiers that are optimally designed to match the DXR's HF (high-frequency) and LF (low-frequency) drivers. These high-performance amplifiers deliver the highest sound output in its class with 700W RMS (LF: 600; HF:100W)/1100W Peak (LF: 950W; HF:150W) of power, producing an impressive SPL up to 129dB. It also provides very fast attack and superior transient response, which greatly contribute to these speakers' incredible audio performance.
- Custom-Designed DXR Drivers: The DXR 8 uses drivers that were meticulously selected and thoroughly customized to deliver ultimate performance. The detailed characteristics and behavior of each driver was fully analyzed and evaluated with sophisticated computer simulations in order to help realize their full performance potential. The high power output 8" woofer delivers very low distortion and deep bass, while the 1.4" precision compression driver (tweeter) produces accurate midrange and high frequencies up to 20kHz.
- Wide Dispersion Constant Directivity Horn: The high-frequency compression driver (tweeter) is mounted to a 90°x 60°constant directivity horn, designed with the goal of minimizing radiation pattern deterioration in oblique directions as more conventional horns are prone to doing. This can help to achieve a more ideal coverage area without irregularities. With the new wide dispersion constant directivity horn, sound expands in a more rectangular pattern providing 90° horizontal x 60° vertical coverage, with wide-frequency sound projected to the edges of the coverage area.
Note: The DXR Series speaker employs an all-new, high-efficiency switching-mode power supply for its outstanding performance. The power supply is also suitable for use worldwide with its multi-voltage design.
Onboard 3-Channel Mixer: The DXR Series speaker features a flexible onboard mixer with a variety of inputs, making it ideal for simple vocal/instrument amplification. With its flexible Inputs/Outputs, the DXR Series speaker can comprise a full sound reinforcement system, or seamlessly integrate into a setup utilizing other DXR Series speakers.
- Mic/Line-Level Input: The DXR onboard mixer can handle up to three simultaneous inputs. It accepts both Mic and Line level input, giving you the flexibility to connect to a variety of sources from microphones to line level instruments and portable audio devices. Channel 1 consists of an XLR input that can be set to mic or line-level used to connect a mixer or microphone. Channel 2 is a stereo phone jack input that can be used to connect a microphone or mixer. Channel 3 features a stereo RCA input for connection of portable audio devices, like your MP3 player.
- High Pass Filter Control: The DXR loudspeaker features a flexible HPF control to perfectly match with DSR and DXS subwoofers (sold separately). You can choose either 100Hz or 120Hz depending on which subwoofer you are using in combination with the DXR speaker. The HPF is automatically activated to roll off unwanted low frequencies when the speaker's XLR input is set to the Mic position.
- Smart Mixing/Linking Function: Each channel has an individual volume control, letting you mix three discrete audio sources. The "Thru" output (XLR) passes the input signal from Channel 1 only and the "Link" output (XLR) sends a mixed signal from all channels; ideal for daisy-chaining or routing the signal to another destination. The "Link" output has two modes: "Link Out" mode is very useful for configuring a compact SR (sound reinforcement) system with another DXR, while "LINK" mode setting allows you to easily switch between stereo or dual-mono configurations.
48-Bit Processing w/ FIR-X Tuning: The DXR Series speaker features Yamaha's proprietary FIR-X tuning that utilizes linear phase FIR filters for the crossover network. FIR-X tuning simultaneously optimizes frequency and phase response while adjusting the time alignment between the HF (high-frequency) and LF (low-frequency) transducers. This creates a very smooth response around the crossover point, providing much better clarity and imaging than what is possible with typical crossovers. In addition, all signals are precisely processed by a 48-bit (76-bit accumulator) high-performance processor for high definition sound quality. Each speaker employs high-precision 24-bit discrete A/D and D/A converters with superior S/N ratio and dynamic range.
D-Contour: D-CONTOUR is an intelligent multi-band compressor that gives you powerful and consistent sound throughout all output levels. By constantly monitoring the output of multiple frequency bands and calculating the optimum EQ adjustments for each, even the maximum sound output maintains outstanding clarity and musicality. With the DXR Series speakers, D-CONTOUR provides a more detailed tuning of your sound with two different settings - FOH/Main Mode & Monitor Mode. Both of these presets were perfected by performing countless listening tests with skilled sound engineers, giving you a multi-band compressor that performs dynamically, delivering consistent sound with low distortion at any output level.
- FOH/Main Mode: FOH (Front Of House)/Main mode boosts low-frequency to compensate for low-end that is typically missing when speakers are used in suspended applications or mounted on a speaker stand.
- Monitor Mode: Monitor mode is completely optimized for floor monitor application by intelligently taming down the low-frequency that adds up due to floor reflection, smoothing out a wide range of frequency bands to give you stunning clarity for monitoring your sound.
ABS Bass Reflex Enclosure: The DXR Series speaker features a rugged, non-resonant ABS enclosure that is designed to dampen down vibrations caused by high output levels, producing less distortion, and superior sonic quality. The road-tested enclosure is equipped with heavy-duty steel grilles and ergonomic, gripped aluminum handles that greatly improve durability and portability. The speaker uses a Bass Reflex enclosure for greater efficiency and bigger bass.
Switchable White Front LED: The DXR Series speaker has a white LED behind the front grille that illuminates when powered and varies in brightness depending on the amount of system limiting. This light can be turned off.
Mounting Options: Depending on the venue, sometimes your music mix can fall prey to low ceilings or other room attributes that can impede a clear, even mix and detract from the audiences' listening experience significantly. The DXR's dual-angle pole mount socket offers two positions (0°/7°) to direct the acoustic energy away from reflective surfaces and on to your audience where it belongs (SS238C tripod speaker stand sold separately). The DXR Series loudspeaker also comes equipped with rigging points (M8 x 15mm), allowing for rigged application with standard eyebolts (sold separately). When more versatility is required, optional U-brackets (UB-DRX8, sold separately) allow simple and easy rigging in both horizontal and vertical configurations. The DXR 8 can also be angled on its side when used a monitor speaker.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
good speaker [ LUIS Dec 28, 2015 ]