Hideaway 4-source/4-room audio system with in-wall keypads and remote
Our take on the Russound CA4 by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
Making music throughout your home a reality
Listening to your favorite band "cook" while you prepare a meal. Relaxing to tunes out on the deck with a glass of chardonnay. The Russound CA4 system lets you enjoy your favorite music in four different areas of your home, plus you get to choose what you'll hear in each place. Connect up to four audio sources, like a multi-disc changer, satellite radio tuner or even a receiver with iPod® control. Play soothing music for your children in their upstairs bedroom while you keep the party going with tunes in the kitchen, living room, and patio. Or play the same source simultaneously throughout the house.
Components can be heard and not seen
You can stow your audio equipment away in a cabinet or closet for a multi-room system that's hidden away. In-wall keypads in each listening room allow you to control playback, volume, and more. Four source buttons on each keypad let you select and turn on your audio components. You also get intuitive controls for muting and volume, and each keypad allows you to turn the entire system on or off with the press of a button.
Easy control in every room
Install a keypad in each listening area — each will control a pair of speakers. They also feature built-in IR (infrared) sensors, so you can use the wireless remote that comes with the system to control playback from across the room.
- system includes:
- one CA4-RC multibrand infrared remote control
- one Russound CA4 Multizone Controller/Amplifier
- four Russound CA4-KP keypads
- one CA4-WP Wall Port for clean connection to in-wall distribution of CAT-5 cable and speaker wire
- control and play music from multiple sources in different rooms simultaneously
- expandable to 4-source, 8-zone system with the addition of a second CA4 kit
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- required accessories for installation, not included: CAT-5 cables, in-wall speaker wire, RCA patch cables and J-boxes (available at most home improvement stores.)
Russound CA4 Multizone Controller Amp:
- 4-source/4-room can play different sources simultaneously in each room
- connects four keypads and four audio sources
- 15 watts x 8 channels RMS through CAT-5
- IR flasher outputs for controlling connected audio sources (IR flashers not included)
- RJ-45 connections for keypads
- fixed/variable line output for 4th zone allows connection to separate amplifier
- expandable to 8 zones with additional CA4 Multizone Controller
- removable AC power cord
- 16-15/16"W x 2"H x 10-3/16"D
- in-wall keypad for a single playback zone
- can accept commands from included IR multibrand learning remote
- green LED indicates source selection
- connects to CA4 Multizone Controller via CAT-5 cable
- fits in a standard single-gang junction box (not included)
- 1-13/16"W x 4-3/16"H x 1-3/16"D
CA4-WP wall port:
- allows clean connections between CA4 controller, keypads, and in-wall speaker wire
- CAT-5 connections (4 front, 4 rear), and speaker wire connections (rear)
- fits in a standard single-gang junction box (not included)
- 1-13/16"W x 4-3/16"H x 1-11/16"D
What's in the Box:
- CA-4 Multi-zone Controller
- CA-4RC Wireless remote control
- 6' AC power cord (IEC 3-prong)
- CA4-WP Wall Port
- 4 CA4-KP keypads
- Four 71" Cat-5 cables with RJ-45 connectors
- 4 Model 845.1 IR Micro Emitters (each with 10' cables and 3.5mm mini-plugs)
- 4 Sets of Source Labels
- 2 Right angle rack ears
- Ten M3 x 22mm screws
- Six M3 x 6mm screws
- System Installation Manual
Awesome product and easy to install yourself with great results.
Bryan W, Midlothian, VA
Russound CA4 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Russound CA4-KT1 is a four source, four zone distributed audio system that enables you to listen to your music most anywhere in your home. It comes with the CA4 Four Source/Four Zone controller amplifier, 4 Wall keypads, a Wall port, and a system remote.
CA4 Controller Amplifier: At the heart of the system is the CA4 Multi-zone Controller Amplifier. It can deliver music from any of four sources to four different zones via Cat-5 cables. The ultra-efficient Class D amplifier outputs 15 watts per channel. You can control the source components from any zone by a single common infrared (IR) emitter, or by individual emitters routed to each component. The CA4 can be rack mounted using the supplied rack ears, or placed on a shelf. By connecting two CA4 controller amplifiers together, you can expand your system to 8 zones.
CA4-RC Remote Control: The system comes with a dedicated full-sized remote control (CA4-RC). It features extensive IR device codes as well as learning capabilities, so you'll be able to control the CA4 system as well as virtually any source component you connect.
CA4-KP Keypads: Four CA4-KP wall keypads are included in the system. With each keypad, you can independently select between the four connected sources, and adjust bass, treble, and volume. Each keypad is backlit (green), and includes an IR receiver and IR confirmation via an LED status indicator. The 4 keypads are connected to the CA4-WP wall port via Cat-5 (RJ-45 termination). The keypads are designed to fit into a single gang J-box with a Decora-style wall plate (not included). Dimensions: 1.788"W x 4.174"H x 1.162"D (2.45" w/RJ-45 plug)
CA4-WP Wall Port: The CA4-WP wall port links together the controller, keypads, and the speakers in each room. The wall port has eight RJ-45 jacks: four on the front for connecting the controller amplifier, and four on the back for connecting the individual keypads. Also on the back are 16 screw terminals for the system's 4 pairs of speakers. The speaker terminals can accept 14-18 gauge wire. Like the keypads, the wall port is designed to fit into a single-gang J-box with a Decora-style wall plate (not included). Dimensions: 1.859"W x 4.178"H x 1.628" (2.916" w/rear RJ-45 plugs).
Maximum Cable Runs: The maximum recommended cable lengths for the CA4 system are:
- Wall Port to Controller: 6' (Cat-5)*
- Wall Port to Keypad: 240' (Cat-5)
- Wall Port to Speaker: 240' (14-18 gauge wire)*
*Notes: Four 6' lengths of RJ-45 terminated Cat-5 cable are provided. For speaker runs over 125 feet, 14-gauge wire is recommended.
Programming Features: In addition to basic control (source selection, bass/treble, and volume) the CA4 system has other programming features that allow you to control multiple zones at once:
- Selectable Source Grouping: This feature allows linked zones to listen to the same source and follow any changes on those zones. This is helpful in open concept living spaces.
- All On (Party Mode): This mode turns on all zones at the same time and allows one keypad to act as the master control for source selection for all zones. You have the ability to enable or disable All On participation at each keypad.
- All Off: This command allows you to turn off all of the zones from one location.
Fixed/Variable Audio Output: The CA4 controller amplifier has two line audio outputs for Zone 4. These stereo RCA outputs feature one variable and one fixed output. These outputs can be used if additional amplification is desired. When connected to the variable output, the keypad volume level affects the output. In the fixed position, the keypad volume level will not change the output level, allowing you to change the volume on the connected external amplifier.
RS232 Connection: The CA4 has a rear panel RS232 connection that allows you to connect the system to a third party home automation and control system, or to a PC for control. Potential firmware update of the controller amplifier can also obtained through this connection. A DB-9 cable (not included) is required for connection to this serial port.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
2 questions already asked
Our A/V Design Group will be best suited to help you with this: http://www.crutchfield.com/Institutional/diy.aspx This specially-trained group of Advisors can provide a personalized recommendation with the proper speakers, components & wiring you'll need to get the best performance to fit your budget. Thanks! [ Larry Sep 16, 2017 ] Staff
I'm not sure what you mean by that. You want an AM/FM tuner as the primary source input? If so, you can find those on our website here: http://www.crutchfield.com/g_357350/Radio-Tuners.html?tp=47481 If you meant something else, feel free to contact the Crutchfield A/V Design Group: http://www.crutchfield.com/Institutional/diy.aspx I hope that helps. My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=5 [ Ryan Oct 20, 2016 ] Staff