NETGEAR Orbi AC2200 Tri-band Wi-Fi® System (RBK40)
High-performance wireless router with satellite signal booster
Our take on the NETGEAR Orbi AC2200 Tri-band Wi-Fi® System (RBK40) by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Fill your home with strong, fast, secure Wi-Fi®
Homes are not one-size-fits-all. You might have to keep your wireless router in a corner or on a lower level, which could mean spotty Wi-Fi coverage in some rooms of your house. The Orbi system by NETGEAR solves that problem by offering a fast, powerful router that plugs in wherever your modem is located, plus an additional satellite that repeats and boosts the original signal.
Used together, the modules can cover up to 4,000 square feet with strong, fast Wi-Fi. And the router and satellite use a single Wi-Fi name (SSID) so you experience seamless connectivity as you roam throughout the house.
If the router is in a corner of the house, put the satellite in a central location and you'll be watching, listening, and browsing at high speed in every room. And if you ever build onto the house and need more coverage? Just add another satellite (available separately).
No need to pore over old-fashioned paper instruction booklets. Just plug the Orbi router into your existing high-speed modem and use the free NETGEAR Orbi app — available for Apple® and Android™ devices — to set up the network. You'll be enjoying speedy streaming and internet access shortly.
And it's nice to look at
Routers and modems can be so boxy, right? NETGEAR designed the Orbi modules with stylish looks that help them blend into your home's decor. The router and satellite match, each sporting a sleek, rounded, upright design that's not intrusive or clunky. It's state of the art inside and out.
- Orbi router with satellite booster covers up to 4,000 square feet with strong, fast Wi-Fi®
- preconfigured for fast, easy setup with your existing network
- router and satellite use a single Wi-Fi name (SSID) for seamless operation with all your devices, anywhere in your home
- 4 amplified, high-performance internal antennas
- Ethernet ports for wired connections (10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit)
- router has 1 WAN port for your modem and 3 LAN ports for your downstream devices
- satellite has 4 LAN ports for your downstream devices
- free NETGEAR Orbi app available for Apple® and Android™ devices
- AC2200 Wi-Fi (400 + 866 + 866 Mbps)
- up to 400 Mbps on 802.11n band
- up to 866 Mbps on first 802.11ac band
- up to 866 Mbps on second 802.11ac band
- powerful quad-core 710MHz processor delivers high-performance connectivity
- 4GB flash memory and 512MB RAM for improved throughput
- beamforming boosts speed, reliability and range of Wi-Fi connection
- 78" Ethernet cable included
- 6-5/8"W x 8-1/16"H x 3-5/16"D
- weight: 1.65 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Orbi router (ORBI13)
- Orbi satellite (RBW30)
- 2 AC power adapters (attached 6' DC cords)
- 6.5' Ethernet cable
- Quick Start Guide
Good coverage, may be worth 5 stars but my situation doesn't test the limits of the range.
Jonathan, Sausalito, CA
NETGEAR Orbi AC2200 Tri-band Wi-Fi® System (RBK40) Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Orbi High Performance WiFi System: The Orbi high-performance AC2200 (RBK40) Tri-band WiFi System creates dedicated high-speed WiFi connections to your Internet service. The Orbi system includes a router and satellite. The router connects to your modem or gateway. The satellite extends the WiFi signal throughout your home.
Whole-Home Coverage: One Orbi system (router and one satellite) can cover up to 4,000 square feet, which meets the needs of many medium to large sized US homes. In addition, NETGEAR offers add-on satellites (sold separately) to blanket even larger areas with tri-band WiFi that uses one network name and password.
ISP Compatibility: Unlike some WiFi systems, Orbi works with your existing gateway or modem and Internet service provider right out of the box. You won't need to change your current equipment to use the Orbi WiFi Home System. Orbi uses a single WiFi name (SSID) and with just a couple of clicks, your secure WiFi network will be ready in no time.
- If your gateway or modem has router functionality, when you set up the Orbi network, choose AP mode and turn off your existing gateway or modem's WiFi to improve performance.
- If your gateway or modem does not have router functionality, when you set up the Orbi network, select router mode and turn off your existing gateway or modem's WiFi to improve performance.
Note: After your existing WiFi is disabled, you can use that WiFi network name for your Orbi network.
One Network Name: Orbi provides a single WiFi network for your entire house. With Orbi, you have one network name and password, and you don't need to change networks as you move around your home. In contrast, extenders work by repeating the WiFi signal of your router to other parts of your house. As a result, with an extender, you have two different WiFi networks to connect to - one for your router and another for your range extender. That means you need to reconnect based on where you are in your home. Orbi creates a single high speed network that gives your entire home complete coverage. Orbi dynamically optimizes your connections for you without having to reconnect.
Tri-Band WiFi: Orbi uses tri-band WiFi to keep your Internet running at maximum speeds, no matter how many devices connect. The tri-band WiFi that powers Orbi includes a dedicated 866Mbps 5GHz band solely for extending Internet speeds to Orbi satellites. This enables the other two WiFi bands to be dedicated to all connected devices across an entire home. Tri-band WiFi ensures that your Orbi WiFi System provides both reliable WiFi coverage and maximum Internet speed throughout your home.
- up to 400 Mbps on 802.11n band
- up to 866 Mbps on first 802.11ac band
- up to 866 Mbps on second 802.11ac band
Note: In contrast, range extenders do not offer tri-band WiFi. Extenders increase the range of your router by receiving and retransmitting your data using the same radio and channel, essentially transmitting your data twice. Retransmission can reduce by half the data available to you in the far corners of a large home. While extenders are a simple and cost-effective way to boost router signals, the lower data rate and second network are less effective for large homes with high-data users.
802.11ac: NETGEAR's Orbi features a WiFi 802.11ac chipset for fast download speeds. It is also backward compatible with 802.11 b/g/n devices. Next generation 802.11ac WiFi (2.4GHz/5GHz) avoids wireless interference and provides whole home coverage ensuring top WiFi speeds and reliable connections.
6 Amplified Antennas: Six high-performance antennas with high-powered amplifiers provide extremely reliable WiFi connectivity throughout larger homes for all your Internet-enabled devices.
Advanced WiFi Technologies: With features like MU-MIMO, WMM QoS, & Beamforming, you get enhanced speed and increased reliability so you can roam freely throughout your home without fear of slow or dropped connections.
- Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO): Using Multi-User MIMO technology, the NETGEAR router can stream data to multiple devices simultaneously. With MU-MIMO, your WiFi network can deliver faster throughput to every MU-MIMO connected device. That means faster downloads and smoother streaming for your devices.
- WMM QoS: WMM QoS prioritizes WiFi data packets from different applications based on four access categories - voice, video, best effort, and background.
- Beamforming: Beamforming boosts speed, reliability, and range of WiFi connections on 2.4 and 5GHz band. The result is a stronger, faster, more reliable connection that is locked in even when the device is moved around the home.
UPnP: Universal Plug N Play (UPnP) helps devices, such as Internet appliances and computers, access the network and connect to other devices as needed. UPnP devices can automatically discover the services from other registered UPnP devices on the network
Gigabit Ethernet Ports: The NETGEAR Orbi router is fitted with four10/100/1000 (1 WAN & 3 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports. The WAN port is used to connect your Internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices. The Orbi satellite is also fitted with 3 Ethernet LAN ports to connect home networking equipment, such as a NAS storage system, TV, gaming console, etc..
710MHz Quad-Core Processor: A powerful quad-core 710MHz processor delivers high-performance connectivity, while a 4GB flash memory and 512MB RAM offers improved throughput.
NETGEAR Orbi App: Use the NETGEAR Orbi app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android 4.2+), now with a new dashboard, to install & personalize the Orbi Home WiFi System. The NETGEAR Orbi app makes it easy to set up and personalize your Orbi WiFi System. With the app, you can install the Orbi mesh network system in just a few steps; simply connect your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to the router network and the app will walk you through the rest. Once set up, you can use the intuitive dashboard to pause Internet on your connected devices, run a quick Internet speed test, setup Smart Parental Controls and much more.
- Parental Controls & Internet Filter: Parents can filter online content and limit time online as well as set an Internet bedtime for every connected device in the home. Easily pause the Internet and check what kids are up to online.
- Remote Management: The Orbi app lets you easily monitor and control your home WiFi from anywhere. You can even setup Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice commands for your network using the new remote management feature.
Voice Control: Control your Orbi mesh WiFi network with voice commands using Amazon Alexa & the Google Assistant (devices sold separately). When you enable the Orbi to work with Alexa or Google Assistant, you can use voice commands to configure your router's settings. You can also ask Alexa or Google to send your network credentials to your smartphone or tablet, which makes accessing your credentials more convenient while still keeping your information secure. In addition, you can ask Alexa or Google to enable/disable the guest network and reboot the router.
- Before you enable the Orbi router to work with Alexa or Google, you must download the NETGEAR Orbi app, create a remote access account, and register your router with your remote access account.
- There are two ways to enable the Orbi router to work with Alexa or Google. You can use the command "Alexa, enable the NETGEAR skill," or "Ok Google, talk to NETGEAR," or you can manually link the NETGEAR skill to your Alexa or Google Home app.
Guest Network Access: Separate & secure access for guests. Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network for your guests' devices, ensuring they do not have access to your home network or to the shared USB hard drive with all your personal data.
Placement: The Orbi router should be positioned near your modem, while the Orbi satellite should be placed in the middle of your home. If you are using more than one Orbi satellite, place the Orbi router in the middle of your home with the satellites placed in separate locations.
Firmware Updates: Click here for the latest firmware updates.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I want to expand my wifi coverage and use the LAN port for my work computer and not have to run a 50 ft ethernet cord under my house [ Michael Nov 17, 2017 ]
Performance and reliability. [ Jonathan Oct 03, 2017 ]
On line reviews [ James Jul 31, 2017 ]
Online reviews and 3rd band for high speed and bandwidth backhaul. Ability to add satellites as needed [ Thomas Jun 01, 2017 ]
I've read several reviews and talked to some tech people who recommended this system for good wifi coverage for a large home where the modem and router is located a long way from the computer. [ Stephen May 23, 2017 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
$369.99Add to Cart
Extended range and faster Wi-Fi®
The NETGEAR Orbi AC3000 Tri-band Wi-Fi® System (RBK50) offers these features:
covers up to 5,000 square feet with strong, fast Wi-Fi®
faster AC3000 Wi-Fi (400 + 866 + 1733 Mbps)
6 amplified, high-performance internal antennas