Sony Cybershot® DSC-RX100 IV
20.1-megapixel compact camera with Wi-Fi®
Item # 158RX100M4 | MFR # DSCRX100M4/B
Instant Savings: -$100.00
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Sony Cybershot® DSC-RX100 IV by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
The Sony DSC-RX100 IV has a 3" tilting LCD monitor that also faces forward for easy framing of self-portraits and group shots.
Great things come in small packages
With a large CMOS sensor, a highly capable processor, and a fast wide-angle zoom lens, the Sony DSC-RX100 IV is a small camera with big possibilities. Fast Intelligent Autofocus with spot-on contrast detection and powerful tracking performance gives you clear, sharp photos and stunning videos at up to 4K resolution. You get up to 16 frames per second of continuous shooting at the camera's full 20-megapixel resolution thanks to all this power and speed, plus some added bonuses in the way of freezing motion or slowing it down, that will effectively change how you see the world around you.
Capture the imperceptible
The RX100 IV's intense processing speed makes both super-speed shooting and super slow motion video capture easy and accessible. With electronic shutter speeds up to an astounding 1/32,000 seconds, you can freeze objects in motion, like a bullet hitting a water balloon or, maybe more practically, your dog catching a tennis ball in mid-air. The RX100 IV's Anti-Distortion shutter system can freeze fast-moving subjects without altering their shape the way a camera with a conventional CMOS sensor and slower maximum shutter speed might do, so you'll get accurately detailed captures of thrilling moments frozen in time.
Conversely, the RX100 IV lets you slow down time with 40X super slow motion HD video capability. Extremely high frame rate (HFR) movie recording of up to 960 frames per second is possible, resulting in slow motion capture of movements you can't make out with your eye. You'll be able to record the fascinating undulating motion of butterfly wings in flight, or the split-second change of a facial expression in all its complexity. Slowing things down in this way gives you a new appreciation for the intricacies of life's moving parts, and it's likely to inspire new ideas for super-speed shooting as well.
Good glass brings it all together
Of course, all of the processing power of the RX100 IV would be wasted if not for its versatile lens. A maximum aperture of f/2.8 at the telephoto end of the attached 24-70mm zoom lens enables fast, blur-free shooting and lovely background defocusing. A close minimum focusing distance of just under two inches at the wide end makes the RX100 IV great for macro and close-up work, and its short zoom range makes it optimal for landscapes and portraits also. You can shoot wide open in extremely bright light and get well-exposed images with defocused backgrounds like you never thought possible thanks to the added speed of the electronic shutter and a built-in neutral density filter.
A lens-mounted control ring gives you added command over manual controls and lets you adjust different features and functions like step-zooming. Smooth, quiet operation lets you use the control ring while shooting video as well.
Your phone adds functionality
Built-in Wi-Fi means you can instantly transfer photos and videos from the RX100 IV directly to your phone or tablet for easy uploading and sharing. NFC touch pairing is also available for compatible Android™ devices. Sony's PlayMemories Camera Apps include free and paid apps that complement your photographic style and interests. There's the indispensable free Smart Remote Control app that lets you use your mobile device to control shooting on the camera, along with specialized apps for things like light painting, time-lapse, stop motion, multiple exposure, plus plenty of editing effects to fine-tune your photos and add your own personal touches.
- 20.1-megapixel effective recording
- bright f/1.8-2.8 24-70mm (35mm equivalent) ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* lens
- large 1" (13.2 x 8.8mm) Exmor RS® back-illuminated CMOS sensor for low noise and exceptional sensitivity
- BIONZ X image processor for high-resolution, low-noise photos and fast autofocus performance
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards, and Memory Stick® PRO Duo media
- up to 16 frames per second continuous shooting at full resolution
- high-resolution 3" LCD screen (1,229,000 dots) tilts 180 degrees upward or 45 degrees downward to allow for easy self-portrait framing and composition from difficult angles
- retractable 2,359,296-dot OLED viewfinder
- up to 4K video resolution
- shutter speed range: 30-1/2,000 seconds, bulb
- up to 1/32,000 seconds with electronic shutter; for clear fast-action photos and slow motion video
- variable ISO settings from ISO 125-12,800
- Wi-Fi lets you transfer photos and video to smartphones and tablets for easy image sharing
- NFC touch pairing with compatible Android™ devices
- PlayMemories Camera Apps let you add new camera functions and capabilities
- manual control ring can be assigned to control different functions, including zoom, aperture value, and picture effects
- seven aperture blades allow smooth background defocusing
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- Optical SteadyShot® minimizes image blur and camera shake
- face detection and subject tracking improve portraits and keep moving subjects in focus for sharper photos
- high-speed autofocus
- 9 scene modes (including Macro, Night Portrait, Landscape and more) for accurately exposed images in different shooting environments
- Picture Effect modes like Soft Focus and Retro Photo let you add creative touches
- Sweep Panorama mode stitches images together to create expansive vistas
- digital level gauge helps you line your shots up evenly
- built-in flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- high-speed micro USB interface
- 4"W x 2-3/8"H x 1-5/8"D
- weight (with battery and memory card): 10.5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable lithium ion battery (NP-BX1)
- AC adapter
- micro USB cable
- wrist strap
- adapters for optional shoulder strap
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (black)
- NP-BX1 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6V / 4.5 Wh / 1240 mAh)
- AC-UD10C AC Adapter (DC output: 5V / 0.5A)
- 24" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and micro USB on the other end)
- Wrist strap
- 2 Strap adapters (for optional shoulder strap)
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (Fren/Span)
- Using the Viewfinder sheet
- Recording 4K Movies With This Product
- Wi-Fi Connection/One-touch (NFC) Guide (Eng)
- Wi-Fi Connection/One-touch (NFC) Guide (Span/Fren)
- Warranty Sheet
- Capture One Express info sheet (Eng)
- Capture One Express info sheet (Span/Fren)
- Accessories brochure
Sony Cybershot® DSC-RX100 IV Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||24-70mm|
Memory Stick PRO Duo + PRO-HG Duo |
|Image Stabilization||Optical + Digital|
|Highest Resolution||5472 x 3648|
|Video Resolution||3840 x 2160, 1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||10.5|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Tiltable 3" LCD Screen: The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100M4 digital camera has a 3.0" Xtra Fine LCD screen with 1,228,800 dots. The LCD brightness control can be set to Auto, Manual (-2 to +2), or Sunny Weather (appropriate for shooting outdoors). You can tilt the LCD upward approximately 180° for shooting low angles and self-portraits, and downward approximately 45° for high angles.
OLED Viewfinder: In addition to the 3" LCD screen, the camera is equipped with a 0.39" XGA electronic OLED viewfinder with 2,359,296 dots. It pops up from the top panel for those occasions when you want an eye-level viewfinder, and can be pressed down and out of the way when you want to use the LCD screen. The viewfinder has a -4.0 to +3.0m-1 diopter adjustment to adjust it to your eyesight. The camera automatically powers on/off when you open/close the viewfinder.
Recording Media: The camera is compatible with the following recording media: Memory Stick Duo (still images only), Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2 only for movie recording), Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo, SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards (UHS-I U1 compatible, Class 10 or higher). For recording 4K movies, SDXC memory cards with a capacity of 64 GB or more with an SD Speed Class of 10 or UHS Speed Class 1 is required. If recording in 100 Mbps or more, UHS Speed Class 3 is required.
Image Recording Formats: The camera records still images in JPEG (with Extra Fine, Fine, and Standard compression), RAW (unprocessed), and JPEG+RAW formats (images from both formats created at the same time). Moving images can be recorded in XAVC S (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 with 2-channel LPCM audio), AVCHD Ver. 2.0 format (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 with Dolby Digital 2ch audio) or MP4 (MPEG-4/H.264 with 2-channel AAC audio).
Image Sensor: The camera is equipped with the world's first 1.0-type stacked CMOS image sensor with DRAM chip that enables up to 40x super slow motion and up to 1/32000 sec super-high-speed shutter. This 13.2 x 8.8mm (1") 20.1MP Exmor RS CMOS image sensor with approximately 20.9-million total pixels and 20.2-million effective pixels and a 3:2 aspect ratio. Paired with the image sensor is the high speed BIONZ X image processor.
Lens: The camera is equipped with a bright Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* (T-star) 2.9x zoom lens. It has a focal length of 24-70mm (35mm equivalent/3:2 aspect ratio) for recording still images, and 25.5-74mm for recording 16:9 movies. The aperture range is F1.8-11.0 (W) and F2.8-11.0 (T).
Shutter Types: The RX100 IV offers both a mechanical shutter and an electronic shutter. The Shutter Type settings are as follows:
- Auto: The shutter type is automatically switched based on the shooting conditions and shutter speed.
- Mechanical Shutter: The camera operates with the mechanical shutter only. The shutter speed can be set from 30 seconds to 1/2000 second, plus Bulb. Both the mechanical and electronic shutter sounds are heard. The electronic shutter sound can be turned off, if desired.
- Electronic Shutter: The camera shoots with the electronic shutter only. The shutter speed can be set from 30 seconds to 1/32000 second. Only the electronic shutter sound is heard, and can be turned off, if desired.
Clear Image/Digital Zoom: In addition to the 2.9x optical zoom, you can reach higher zoom scales by engaging the Clear Image Zoom or the Digital Zoom, or both. The amount of zoom depends upon the image size as follows:
|Image Size||Optical Zoom||Clear Image Zoom||Maximum Zoom Scale|
Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode: Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode can provide blur-free movies, even while walking. Camera-shake compensation using Optical SteadyShot/Active Mode has been improved with the addition of new electronic image stabilization. This makes it easier to obtain sharp movies, even when zooming in unsteady situations.
Still Image Sizes: When recording digital still images, the DSC-RX100M4 allows you to choose from multiple image sizes in four aspect ratios: 3:2 (best for printing), 16:9 (best for viewing on an HDTV), 4:3 (best for viewing on a computer), and 1:1 (best for shooting as a medium format camera). The following image sizes are available:
|20M 5472 x 3648||18M 5472 x 3080||18M 4864 x 3648||13M 3648 x 3648|
|10M 3888 x 2592||7.5M 3648 x 2056||10M 3648 x 2736||6.5M 2544 x 2544|
|5M 2736 x 1824||4.2M 2720 x 1528||5M 2592 x 1944||3.7M 1920 x 1920|
|VGA 640 x 480|
Sweep Panorama: You can record multiple images while moving the camera in an arc, either horizontally or vertically. You can choose the direction to pan the camera while taking the images. These images can be compiled into a single panoramic image, and played back on an HDTV. The available image sizes include:
- Vertical: 3872 x 2160
- Horizontal: 8192 x 1856
- Vertical: 5536 x 2160
- Horizontal: 12416 x 1856
Recording Movies: Besides recording still images, the RX100 IV can also record pro-quality movies, including 4K and Full HD. You can record movies in the low-compression, high-quality XAVC S format, AVCHD for easy editing and sharing, or MPEG-4 for uploading to your favorite social media sites. You can choose between NTSC (60, 30, 24 fps) and PAL (50, 25 fps) for worldwide compatibility. Available image sizes and movie quality include:
|Movie Format||Image Quality||Avg Bit Rate||Image Size|
|XAVC S 4K||30p/25p/24p||100 Mbps||3840 x 2160|
|XAVC S HD||60p/50p/30p/25p/24p||50 Mbps||1920 x 1080|
|AVCHD||PS 60p/50p||28 Mbps||1920 x 1080|
|FX 60i/50i/25p/24p||24 Mbps|
|FH 60i/50i/25p/24p||17 Mbps|
|MP4||60p/50p||28 Mbps||1920 x 1080|
|30p/25p||6 Mbps||1280 x 720|
Note: The camera's 4K movie recording function allows you to create short film-like video clips in high quality. The continuous recording duration for 4K movies is approximately 5 minutes.
Dual Video Recording: When recording a movie, you can choose to simultaneously record an XAVC S movie and an MP4 movie, or an AVCHD movie and an MP4 movie.
Built-in Wi-Fi/NFC: The RX100M4 lets you connect wirelessly with smartphones and tablets via Wi-Fi and NFC (near field communication). Using the PlayMemories Mobile app, available for Android 2.3 and up from Google Play and for iOS 4.3 and up from the App Store, you can send images to, or control your camera from your smartphone or tablet. When connected to a Wi-Fi network, you can send images to your computer or view on a Wi-Fi-enabled TV.
Customizable Function Button: The camera features a Function button that allows you to assign up to 12 functions for quick access. Assignable functions include: Drive Mode, Flash Mode, Focus Mode, Focus Area, Exposure Compensation, ISO, ND Filter, Metering Mode, White Balance, DRO/Auto HDR, Smile/Face Detection, and Shooting Mode.
Control Ring: The Control Ring around the lens lets you change the settings of often-used functions. In standard mode, the camera assigns recommended functions for each shooting mode. You can manually select the function controlled by the Control Ring, including Exposure Compensation, ISO, White Balance, Creative Style, Picture Effect, Zoom, Shutter Speed, and Aperture.
Memory Recall: The Memory Recall mode can memorize up to three groups of the user's preferred settings. Settings include zoom magnification, white balance, exposure compensation, date, and grid lines. This enables you to quickly switch the settings at the right moment.
Drive Modes: The camera offers multiple Drive Modes. In addition to single image shooting, you can choose from the following:
- Continuous Shooting: The camera shoots continuous images at approximately 5.5 frames per second while you press and hold down the shutter release.
- Speed Priority Continuous: Shoots full 20.1 megapixel images continuously at up to 16 frames per second while you press and hold the shutter release button.
- Self-Timer: You can set the Self-Timer mode to a 10-second, 5-second, or 2-second delay so you can be in the picture.
- Self-Portrait: A Self-Portrait Timer mode will capture the image 3 seconds after you press the shutter button.
- Self-Timer Continuous: The Self-Timer Continuous shooting mode takes continuous frames after a 10-, 5-, or 2-second delay. You can choose 3 or 5 frames to be taken.
- Continuous Bracket: The Bracket Continuous mode lets you shoot a series of 3, 5, or 9 images, each with a different exposure setting--some at normal exposure, some under exposed, and some over exposed. You can choose from five different step values: 0.3 EV, 0.7 EV, 1.0 EV, 2.0 EV, or 3.0 EV.
- WB Bracket: The Bracket WB mode shoots three images, each with different degrees of brightness according to the selected settings of white balance, color temperature, and color filter. You can choose the a low or high bracket deviation value.
- DRO Bracket: The camera shoots a total of three images, each with a different degree of D-Range Optimizer.
Auto Focus Areas: You can select from the following auto focusing areas:
- Multi AF: The camera focuses in all ranges of the finder frame automatically. When you press the shutter button halfway, a green frame is displayed around the area that is in focus.
- Center AF: The camera focuses on a subject in the center of the frame. By pressing the shutter release halfway, you can lock the focus on your subject and recompose your shot with the subject off center.
- Flexible Spot AF: The camera focuses on a very small area that can be moved around the frame to the desired point on the screen.
- Expand Flexible Spot: If focus isn't obtained on the single selected point, you can use focus points around the flexible spot as the second priority area to achieve focus.
- Lock-on AF: When the shutter button is pressed and held halfway, the camera tracks the subject within the selected autofocus area.
AF Illuminator: The AF (auto focus) Illuminator briefly provides fill light to focus more easily on a subject in dark surroundings. The red AF Illuminator lights when the shutter button is pressed halfway. You can set the AF Illuminator to Auto or Off.
Face Detection: Face Detection technology detects up to eight individual faces and controls flash, focus, exposure, and white balance to deliver accurate, natural skin tones with reduced red-eye. It can also give priority to children or adults. You can also select and register an individual's face to be given priority.
Smile Shutter Mode: The Smile Shutter technology automatically detects and captures a smiling face. Simply activate by pressing the Smile Shutter button and the camera will capture a smile the moment it happens. You can adjust the degree of Smile Detection Sensitivity as desired.
Scene Recognition: Scene Recognition is used in the Intelligent Auto and Superior Auto shooting modes. This function automatically detects different types of scenes and selects the appropriate camera settings: Portrait, Infant, Night Portrait, Night Scene, Backlight Portrait, Backlight, Landscape, Spotlight, Low Light, and Macro. The camera also recognizes certain conditions and makes appropriate adjustments: Tripod, Walk, Move, Move (bright), or Move (dark).
Shooting Modes: Using the top-mounted Mode Dial, you can select from the following shooting modes:
- Auto Mode: The Auto Mode allows you to shoot still
images under any condition with good results by setting the values
determined by the camera. You can choose between two Auto Modes:
- Intelligent Auto Mode (iAuto): Allows you to shoot still images with automatic scene recognition.
- Superior Auto Mode (iAuto+): Allows you to shoot still images with automatic scene recognition, with an emphasis on dark or backlit scenes.
- Program Auto: Allows you to shoot with the exposure adjusted automatically (both the shutter speed and aperture value). You can also select various settings using the menu.
- Aperture Priority: You can shoot still images after adjusting the aperture setting manually. The camera will determine the shutter speed.
- Shutter Priority: You can shoot still images after adjusting the shutter speed manually. The camera will determine the aperture setting.
- Manual Exposure: You can set the exposure manually. The shutter speed can be set between 1/2000 and 30 seconds. The aperture (F value) can be set between F1.8 and F11 (Wide Angle) or between F2.8 and F11 (Telephoto).
- Memory Recall: You can set and store often-used modes and numeric settings for recall at a later time.
- Movie Mode: Allows you to record Full HD AVCHD or MPEG-4 movies with stereo audio.
- HFR (High Frame Rate): This mode allows you to shoot slow motion movies. You can select frame rates of 240 fps, 480 fps, 960 fps (NTSC) and 250 fps, 500 fps, and 1000 fps (PAL). The playback speed varies depending on the set frame rate and record setting.
- Sweep Panorama: Multiple images are shot while the camera is moving, and these images are compiled into a single panoramic image.
- Scene Selection Modes: You can choose from the following Scene Selection modes: Portrait, Sports Action, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Hand-held Twilight, Night Portrait, Anti-Motion Blur, Pet, Gourmet, Fireworks, and High Sensitivity.
Note: The Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual shooting modes are available for movies as well as still images.
Exposure Compensation: Besides auto exposure, you can adjust the exposure from +3.0EV to -3.0EV in 1/3 stop increments.
Built-In Flash: The camera's built-in flash features a range of 1.31' to 33.46' with the zoom set to wide and 1.31' to 21.33' with the zoom set to telephoto. The flash settings include:
- Autoflash: the flash automatically strobes when the surroundings are dark or when there is backlight
- Fill Flash: the flash strobes with every shot
- Slow Sync: the flash is used regardless of the amount of ambient light, but the shutter speed is slower under dark conditions, allowing you to clearly shoot a background that is out of the flash-lit area
- Rear Sync: the flash operates before exposure is completed every time your trigger the shutter
- Off: the flash does not operate
Red-eye Reduction: The flash pre-strobes before shooting to reduce the red-eye phenomenon. You can set to On or Off.
Metering Modes: You can select from the following Metering Modes:
- Spot Metering: Spot metering lets you adjust the exposure to the subject, even when the subject is a backlit or when there is strong contrast between the subject and the background.
- Center-weighted Metering: Center-weighted metering measures the center of the image and determines the exposure based on the brightness of the subject.
- Multi-pattern Metering: When multi-pattern metering is used, the image is divided into multiple regions and metering is performed in each region. The camera judges the subject position and background brightness, and determines a well-balanced exposure.
White Balance: When the white balance is set to auto, the white balance is set automatically in response to the condition of the subject, and the overall color balance is adjusted. When shooting under special lighting conditions, you can select the settings manually. When using flash, you can select the flash white balance mode. The white balance can also be set to Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent (warm white), Fluorescent (cool white), Fluorescent (day white), Fluorescent (daylight), Flash, Color Temperature/Filter, Custom (adjust white balance depending on the light source) or Custom Set (memorizes the basic white color which will be used).
Grid Lines: The cameras on-screen grid lines make it easy to set a subject's horizontal and vertical position. You can choose from three grid line overlays: Rule of 3rds, 4x6 Square, and Diagonal + 4x6 Square.
Histogram: A histogram is a graph showing the brightness of an image. The graph display indicates a bright image when skewed to the right side, and a dark image when skewed to the left side.
In-camera Guide: An on-screen function guide text/icon display makes it easy to learn the camera functions that give you greater creative freedom to adjust photo settings. The function guide can be turned on or off as desired.
Strap: The camera includes a wrist strap and two adapters that allow you to attach an optional shoulder strap.
Folder View Modes: The Sony DSC-RX100M4's View Mode allows you to select your recorded images and movies by sorting them into the following folders: Date, Still, MP4, AVCHD, XAVC S 4K, and XAVC S HD.
Index View: In addition to viewing images one-by-one in full screen, you can view multiple images at once in the index view mode. The index feature lets you to display a total of 9 (3 x 3) or 25 (5 x 5) images at once.
Slide Show: The Slide Show function lets you play back images one after the other. The interval between the pictures can be adjusted, allowing you to choose 1, 3, 5, 10, and 30 seconds. When repeat is selected, the images are replayed in a continuous loop.
Playback Zoom: You can enlarge a recorded still image up to 8x the size of the original image. Once the image is zoomed, you can pan left to right and up or down through the image.
Rotating Images: Recorded images can be rotated 360-degrees in 90-degree increments on the camera's LCD screen.
Picture Effect: You can add effects to images to make them look more impressive and artistic. You can choose from the following: Toy Camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Mono, Miniature, Watercolor, and Illustration.
Deleting/Protecting Images: You can delete a selected image, or you can delete all the unprotected images at once. In order to avoid accidentally deleting of an image, it can be protected.
Print Mark: You can place a print mark on still images recorded with this camera. This mark is convenient when you have images printed at a shop that conforms to the DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) standard.
Battery Information: The DSC-RX100M4 is powered by the supplied NP-BX1 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery. Using the supplied AC-UD10C AC adapter, the battery can be fully charged in the camera in approximately 230 minutes. Under normal operating conditions, the battery has the following capacity:
|Shooting Still Images||LCD||Approx. 280 images|
|Viewfinder||Approx. 230 images|
|Viewing Still Images||Approx. 200 min or 4000 images|
| Recording Movies |
|LCD||Approx. 45 min|
|Viewfinder||Approx. 45 min|
| Recording Movies |
|LCD||Approx. 80 min|
|Viewfinder||Approx. 85 min|
Internal Battery: The camera has an internal rechargeable battery for maintaining the date and time and other settings regardless of whether the power is on or off. The battery is continually charged as long as you are using the camera. If the camera isn't used for about a month, the internal battery can become discharged. The camera can still be used with a discharged internal battery, however, the date and time will not be shown. The internal battery can be fully recharged in approximately 24 hours with the power off and a charged battery pack is in the camera.
HDMI: The RX100M4 has a Micro HDMI (Type D) output on the right side of the camera for connecting the camera to an HDTV. A Micro HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required to make the connection. If you are connecting to a Sony Bravia TV with Bravia Sync, you can control the camera using the TV's remote control.
Micro USB : The camera features a single Micro USB jack (labeled "Multi") on the right side of the camera for connecting the supplied USB cable for downloading your photos to your computer or printer, or charging the battery in the camera. The interface is USB 2.0 High Speed compatible.
PlayMemories Home: The DSC-RX100M4 can be used with PlayMemories Home software, which needs to be downloaded and installed on your computer. "PlayMemories Home" software is downloadable from the Sony Imaging website (The URL is printed in the Instruction Manual). It is compatible with Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7 (SP1), and Windows Vista (SP2), and Mac OS X 10.7-10.10 operating systems only. With PlayMemories Home you can:
- Manage and edit photos and videos on your PC or Mac
- Organize photos and videos
- Upload photos to a cloud service for storage (PlayMemories Online)
- Search for photos and videos using Calendar View
- Import and Export photos and videos, plus create disks and print.
- Perform basic editing functions
- View photos and videos on a map (using location information from a connected smartphone)
- Create multi-view videos
PlayMemories Camera Apps: The RX100M4 is compatible with PlayMemories Camera Apps, which enables you to add new features to the camera by downloading a new app and installing it in the camera. Apps are available to fit your shooting style, including portraits, close-up photography, sports, time lapse, etc. Many apps are available via a free download, while more advanced apps require a fee of $4.99 or $9.99.
Image Data Converter: Image Data Converter software is required to display and process images recorded in RAW format. You can also adjust the brightness or color, as well as "develop" the RAW image files into JPEG or TIFF files. Image Data Converter can be downloaded to your computer, using a URL printed in the manual. Image Data Converter is compatible with Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Vista (SP2), and Mac OS X 10.6-10.10.
Remote Camera Control: Remote Camera Control software allows you to control a camera connected to your computer via a USB cable. Remote Camera Control is compatible with Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Vista (SP2), and Mac OS X 10.7-10.10.
Capture One Express (for Sony): The Sony RX100 IV is supported by Capture One Express (for Sony) by Phase One. One of the world's best RAW converters, Capture One Express (for Sony) delivers clear, detailed images with accurate colors. You can make adjustments to the RAW image files, convert the images to black & white, or use the HDR (High Dynamic Range) tool to pull out details in over- or under-exposed images. Capture One Express (for Sony) is available for a free download. A pro version can be purchased for even more processing tools.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Very good camera [ Bill Jan 24, 2017 ]
It appears to be the best compact digital camera. [ PAUL K. Nov 08, 2016 ]
Reviews say it's among the best pocket cameras. [ Richard Mar 18, 2016 ]
reviews [ BRIAN F Jan 22, 2016 ]
1 question already asked
I have had no reliability issues when recording 4K video. I switched from a Nikon DSLR to this Camera and could not be more pleased with its performance and picture quality for a small profile camera. [ JOSEPH Oct 24, 2016 ]
I bought the camera primarily for still images, so I've only shot a couple of 4K video clips (including one to the camera's 4K length limit). I haven't had any problems during this limited experience. [ Gary Oct 24, 2016 ]
I love the camera and quality of still-shot photos. Sorry. I seldom use the video. [ Cynthia Oct 24, 2016 ]
Frequently Compared With
Sony Cybershot® DSC-RX100 IV
20.1-megapixel compact camera with Wi-Fi®
Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-HX80
18-megapixel digital camera with 30X optical zoom and Wi-Fi®
Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-RX100 III
20.1-megapixel compact digital camera with Wi-Fi®
Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-RX10
Large-sensor 20.2-megapixel camera with Wi-Fi® and 24-200mm Zeiss® lens