Large-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone
Item # 183SM27 | MFR # SM27-SC
$299.99 Earn up to 300 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Shure SM27 by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Setting the standard
It's no exaggeration when you refer to Shure's SM Series microphones as the industry standard. SM microphones have been carrying the torch for great sound for decades, at legendary performances both live and in the studio. When you want to know you've purchased a microphone that will stand the test of time — whether in durability or in sound quality — look no further than Shure's SM Series.
The SM27 comes with a shock mount and a carrying case.
Jack of all trades
Shure designed the SM27 condenser microphone to handle a variety of jobs. Vocals? The large diaphragm provides excellent transient response, so you'll pick up the smallest details with ease. Strings and winds? The flat frequency response ensures natural, smooth sound. A blasting horn section? Flip on the 15dB pad to handle high sound pressure levels. And you can adjust the switchable 3-position low-frequency filter to reduce the proximity effect and eliminate unwanted low-end rumble. The SM27 is tough enough to handle life on the stage as well as the studio, thanks to its durable metal construction.
- designed for acoustic instruments, keyboards, ensembles, and studio vocals
- side-address condenser microphone
- cardioid pattern for noise rejection and feedback suppression
- Mylar diaphragm
- 3-position switchable low-frequency filter
- -15 dB switchable attenuator
- metal construction
- three separate mesh layers to reduce wind and breath noise
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: -37 dBV/Pa
- output impedance: 150 ohms
- maximum SPL: 133 dB @ 100 ohm load
- requires 48-volt phantom power on your mixer or audio interface
- weight: 22.6 oz
- male XLR connector
- rubber suspension shock mount
- storage bag
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Large diaphragm side-address microphone
- A27SM Shock mount
- 5/8"-to-3/8" thread adapter (inserted in shock mount)
- Velveteen pouch
- Hook-and-loop cable tie
- User Guide
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Warnings and safety instructions
- Online registration card
Features and Specs
|Application||For live & studio use|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Shure SM27 is a side-address cardioid condenser microphone. It is ideal for vocals, as well as acoustic and amplified instruments. It comes with a ShureLock Rubber Isolated Shock Mount (A27SM), and a velveteen storage pouch.
Microphone Positioning: The microphone should be placed in an upright position, with the sound being directed toward the side-facing diaphragm. The front of the microphone is marked by the Shure logo. Sounds coming from the opposite side of the diaphragm will be significantly reduced because of the cardioid pickup pattern.
Integrated Pop Filter: The microphone grille consists of three separate layers of mesh that act as a pop filter. It can reduce wind or breath noise. In some cases, an optional external pop screen may be needed for close-miking vocalists.
Shock Mount: The SM27 comes with the A27SM ShureLock Rubber Isolated Shock Mount. The mount features a circular "cup" (where the microphone is placed) which is suspended with elastic bands inside an outer ring. This floating design mechanically isolates the microphone from vibration and shock that may be transmitted through the mic stand, causing unwanted noise in the microphone.
Cardioid Pickup Pattern: The SM27 has a cardioid polar pattern for maximum gain before feedback, and excellent rejection of off-axis sound.
Phantom Power: The SM27 is an electret condenser microphone which requires a balanced, microphone-level input that provides phantom power (+48V DC / 5.4 mA recommended). Phantom power can be supplied by the mixer or audio interface that the microphone is connected to. Usually the mixer has a switch to activate the phantom power.
Switches: The SM27 has two switches on the back for setting Attenuation and the Low-Cut Filter:
- Attenuation Switch: The attenuation switch, or "pad" lets you reduce the signal level without altering the frequency response. This prevents extremely loud sounds from overloading the microphone. The two settings are 0dB (no attenuation) and -15dB (attenuation on).
- Low-Frequency Response Switch: The low-frequency
response switch, or low-cut filter, changes the frequency response of the
microphone. There are three positions:
- Flat Response (bypass): This setting provides natural sound with no low-frequency reduction.
- Low Frequency Cutoff: This setting provides an 18dB/octave cutoff at 80Hz. It helps eliminate floor rumble and low frequency room noise from heating and air conditioning systems. Can also be used to compensate for the proximity effect.
- Low Frequency Rolloff: This setting provides a 6dB/octave rolloff filter at 115 Hz. This is used to compensate for the proximity effect or reduce low frequencies that can make an instrument sound dull or muddy.
Thread Adapter: A 5/8"-to-3/8" thread adapter is included. This adapter allows the mic clip to be attached to a mic stand with a 3/8" threaded connector.
|Frequency Response||20 Hz-20 kHz|
|Type||Condenser (externally biased)|
|Output Impedance||150Ω |
|Sensitivity (at 1kHz)||Open Circuit Voltage |
|Maximum SPL||1000Ω load: 133dB SPL (Pad Off) |
147dB SPL (Pad On)
2500Ω load: 138dB SPL (Pad Off) 152dB (Pad On)
|Dimensions||Diameter: 2.21" |
Shock Mount Diameter: 4.171"
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.