PreSonus Eris E8
2-way powered studio monitor with 8" woofer and 1" tweeter
From PreSonus: Step up your practice
Music assessment using an AudioBox Studio
Music education technology for classroom use
Recording ensemble rehearsals with AudioBox 44VSL
Item # 861ERISE8 | MFR # Eris E8
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the PreSonus Eris E8 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Serious sound on a budget
You're ready to purchase studio gear, but you don't want to lay out all of your cash on monitors alone. Then again, you're not willing to sacrifice quality. PreSonus solves the puzzle with the potent, affordable sound of the Eris E8. Materials mean a lot in sound reproduction, and PreSonus uses some of the best: an 8" Kevlar woofer and a 1-1/4" silk dome tweeter housed in a sturdy MDF cabinet. The speaker's bi-amplified design sends 75 watts to the woofer and 65 watts to the tweeter, so you hear every detail during playback.
Connections and controls
You don't always have control over the space you're working in, but the E8 has takent that into account. Output equalization is available via two variable tuning knobs, one for high frequencies, and another for mids. There's also a low cut switch offering flat response, or attenuation at 80 Hz or 100 Hz. If you can't quite manage ideal placement of the speakers in your workspace, the Acoustic Space switch helps you tune the action of the bass ports so the low frequencies are still hitting on all cylinders. With an 8" woofer, that's going to be very important.
Making a solid connection is important. Each E8 monitor features an unbalanced RCA connector, as well as balanced 1/4" TRS and XLR connections, so you're ready for anything. If your work takes you overseas, the E8 also has an AC select switch so you can adapt to voltage requirements outside the U.S.
- 8" Kevlar woofer and 1-1/4" silk dome tweeter
- bi-amplified design with 140 watts system power: 75 watts to woofer; 65 watts to tweeter
- frequency response: 35-22,000 Hz
- peak SPL: 105 dB
- balanced XLR
- balanced 1/4" TRS
- unbalanced RCA
- bass-reflex cabinet with front port
- variable high-frequency shelf EQ with ±6 dB boost/cut at 10 kHz
- variable mid-frequency peak EQ with ±6 dB boost/cut at 1 kHz
- low-frequency cutoff switch (flat, 80 Hz, 100 Hz) with -12 dB/octave slope
- Acoustic Space switch (0, -2 dB or -4 dB) helps adjust bass response to your surroundings
- AC select switch allows Eris E8 to be used outside the U.S.
- 9-7/8"W x 15-1/8"H x 11-13/16"D
- weight: 22 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- E5 active studio monitor
- Power cable
- 4 Self-adhesive foam feet
- Owner's Manual
These monitors have an excellent sound quality, High Levers Capacity without the use of external Sub. Use to replace an old Alexis MK II. Separate amps for drivers
Mario, Manati, PR
PreSonus Eris E8 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Full range Driver size||N/A|
|Enclosure type||Bass reflex|
|Built in amplifier||Y|
|RMS Power rating||75 + 65|
|Peak Power rating||N/A|
|Inputs||XLR, 1/4" TRS, RCA|
|Parts warranty||1 Year|
|Labor warranty||1 Year|
|Maximum Peak SPL||105|
Active Two-Way Speaker: The PreSonus Eris E8 powered studio monitor speaker sports a 8" Kevlar low-frequency driver mated with a 75W Class-AB amplifier, and a 1" silk-dome tweeter powered by a 65W Class-AB amplifier. It can crank out a clean 102 dB SPL, peak. Frequency response is rated at 35 Hz to 22 kHz
Bass Reflex Enclosure: The E8 powered studio monitor speaker has a front-ported enclosure made of vinyl-laminated, medium-density fiberboard (MDF).
Signal Inputs: The PreSonus Eris E8 provides balanced XLR, balanced 1/4" TRS, and unbalanced RCA line-level inputs. When both balanced connections are in use, the TRS input will supersede the XLR input. The RCA input is summed into the signal path. With this selection of inputs, you'll have no problem hooking up the Eris E8 up with virtually any line-level source. If your signal source has unbalanced 1/4" TS outputs, simply use a 1/4"-to-RCA adapter or adapter cable.
Controls: A combination of controls lets you create a linear response for accurate monitoring and enables you to simulate different listening environments, so you don't have to listen to mixes on your car, consumer computer speakers, and home stereo to check how the music sounds with different systems. Instead, you can adjust the Eris E8 studio monitor response and test your mixes without leaving your studio.
- Input Gain: The Input Gain sets the level of the speaker's input signal from your connected source before it is amplified.
- Acoustic Tuning EQ: The Eris E8 provides three EQ controls in its
Acoustic Tuning section; High, Mid, and Low Cutoff. These controls enable
you to fine-tune the monitors and even to broadly approximate the sounds of
different types of speakers so you can hear what your mix might sound like.
- High: boosts or cuts all frequencies above 4.5 kHz by ±6 dB
- Mid: the Mid control is a peak EQ that lets you boost or cut a specified frequency band; in this case, a band about two octaves wide, centered at 1 kHz
- Low: rolls off the level of all frequencies below the specified frequency (80 or 100 Hz) at a slope of -12 dB/octave
- Acoustic Space Switch: In addition to the Acoustic Tuning controls, the Eris speaker offers a three-position Acoustic Space switch. This switch controls a second-order, low shelving filter that cuts the level of all frequencies below 800 Hz by a specified amount (-2 or -4 dB) to compensate for the boundary bass boost that occurs when the monitor is placed near a wall or corner. If you don't want to roll off those lows, set it to 0 dB.
Protection Circuitry: Any loudspeaker is subject to an assortment of environmental and performance problems, and the Eris monitor offers protection from the most common of these factors.
- RF Shielding: RF shielding protects against radio frequencies that could be induced into the signal and become audible.
- Thermal Protection: The Eris monitor also provides over-temperature protection to avoid heat-related issues.
- Short Circuit: Current-output limiting prevents damage should there be a short circuit on the speaker terminals.
- Subsonic Filter: Subsonic protection is used to filter out extremely low-frequency vibrations that could interfere with the woofer's performance.
- Soft Start Up: The integrated power amplifiers have a "soft startup" so that you don't get damaging pops in the speakers when you power them up.
Placement: Ideally, near-field monitors should be placed so that the tweeters are at the same height as your ears when you are mixing. The Eris E8 speaker can be placed vertically or horizontally; when placed horizontally, two E8 speakers should form a mirror image pair, with the tweeters on the outside. The speakers should be separated so that the tweeters form an equilateral triangle with your head. The monitors should be "toed-in" or angled, so that they are pointed at you, not pointed straight ahead.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Has an excellent review , I want to tried with this by their specs too !!! [ MARIO Mar 16, 2016 ]