Denon HEOS HomeCinema HS2
Powered 2.1-channel sound bar with wireless subwoofer, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®
Our take on the Denon HEOS HomeCinema HS2 by Crutchfield's Emily S.
TV sound with power and depth
Denon's HEOS HS2 sound bar features the same processor as their premium A/V receivers for a serious upgrade to your TV's audio. The unique, angled cabinet houses two full range drivers and two soft dome tweeters, each driven by a dedicated amplifier. Low-end punch is provided by the included subwoofer. And the sub is wireless, so you can tuck it in anywhere convenient — vertically or horizontally — it just needs access to AC power.
Boost your movie sound with minimal clutter.
Whether you want to stream a Spotify® playlist, shuffle all your Pandora® stations, or listen to your downloaded songs, this sound bar has you covered with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Apple® AirPlay® 2 capabilities built in. It even supports high-res files like FLAC and ALAC.
And if you want to expand into other rooms, the HS2 can be the start of your whole-home audio system. It's easy to control additional HEOS speakers using the free HEOS mobile app. You can listen to a different song in each room or play the same song throughout the whole house.
Just ask Alexa
If you've got an Amazon Echo device, you can control the HS2 with your voice. Ask Alexa to play your favorite song, change the volume, pause, mute, change inputs, and more.
- powered stereo sound bar with four built-in speakers
- two soft dome tweeters with neodymium magnets
- two 2" x 5" full-range drivers
- bi-amplified Class D design
- Dolby® Digital and DTS decoding
- compatible with Amazon Echo (Alexa) for voice control
- built-in Bluetooth and Apple AirPlay 2 for easy streaming of audio content
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi® allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other HEOS devices
- free app for Apple and Android™ devices offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- support for online music services, including Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio (subscription required for some services)
- three listening modes: Movie, Music, and Night
- dialogue enhancer improves vocal-intelligibility in movies and TV shows
- features the same powerful 400 MHz 32-bit floating point DSP engine found in Denon A/V receivers
- learns your TV remote's commands for single-remote use (or control via the HEOS app)
- IR repeater in case the sound bar blocks your TV's remote receiver
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- 40-5/8"W x 2-13/16"H x 3-15/16"D
- weight: 6.81 lbs.
- two 5-1/4" woofers
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- 6-13/16"W x 12-5/16"H x 14-5/16"D
- weight: 14.56 lbs.
HEOS Multi-room System Information:
- HEOS requires high-speed internet, Wi-Fi router, and an Apple or Android smartphone or tablet
- plays music stored on Apple and Android smartphones and tablets
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- plays the same music in multiple zones simultaneously, or different music in each zone
- easy setup using your smartphone or tablet with the HEOS app
- plays MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, WAV, and ALAC files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- bass and treble tone controls via HEOS app
- Ethernet port for wired connection to your router (cable included)
- HDMI input/output with Audio Return Channel for single-cable connection to compatible TVs (HDMI cable included)
- other audio inputs (sound/music can be distributed to other HEOS devices):
- optical and coaxial digital audio inputs (optical cable included)
- 3.5mm input for setup and connecting to a portable music player (minijack cable included)
- USB port for listening to music stored on a compatible thumb drive
- remote control included
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered sub
- Two 6.5' AC power cords
- 39" HDMI cable
- 39" Optical cable
- 39" Ethernet cable
- 34" Minijack setup cable
- IR blaster (attached 39" cable)
- 2 Soundbar feet
- 2 Self-adhesive rubber pads
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Quick Start Guide
- Wall-Mount Template
- Warranty Sheet
- HEOS Customer Service Contact Information Card
- Extended Protection Plan
- Spotify brochure
- Safety Instructions
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||0.75" Soft-dome (2)|
|Woofer||5" x 2" Cone (2)|
|Subwoofer Driver||5.25" Cone (2)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||Yes|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Yes|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||Not given|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||Not given|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Sound Bar (inches)||2-13/16H x 40-5/8W x 3-15/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||6.81 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||12-5/16H x 6-13/16W x 14-5/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||14.56 lbs|
Soundbar Speaker & Sub System: As today's flat-panel TVs get thinner and thinner, so does their sound quality. Denon's HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) soundbar speaker & sub system will transform your flat-panel TV into a home theater that will envelop you in rich, room-filling sound; clear mids and detailed highs from its multi-driver high-fidelity soundbar, plus deep bass from its wireless subwoofer. Simple to set up and easy to use, the Denon HomeCinema (HS2) lets you enjoy powerful, dynamic audio from your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and music.
- Active Soundbar Speaker: The HEOS HomeCinema (HS2)'s soundbar speaker features bi-amplified tweeters and mid-woofers with advanced DSP processing delivering clear audio especially in the vocal range. There are two 0.75" treated soft-dome tweeters with neodymium magnets that deliver extended treble response and wide dispersion. There are also dual 5" x 2" rectangular mid-woofer drivers with composite Kevlar cones and double magnet motor system for higher efficiency and linearity. Each driver is powered by its own Class D amplifier with digital signal processing for great sound at any volume level.
- Wireless Powered Sub: The included wireless powered sub features dual 5.25" woofers powered by a built-in Class D amplifier and a rear-firing port that work in tandem to deliver powerful deep bass with flat response and low distortion thanks to precision DSP audio tuning. You can adjust the subwoofer volume independently from the system volume.
Note: Do not listen to this system and your TV's built-in speakers simultaneously. Make sure to turn of your televisions speakers. If your TV does not let you turn the speakers off, then mute the audio from the TV's speakers.
Advanced 32-Bit DSP w/ Dolby Digital & DTS Decoding: The HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) features the same powerful 400 MHz 32-bit floating point DSP engine found in Denon's AV receivers that delivers true wide range high fidelity audio, for maximum enjoyment of TV shows, movies, and your favorite music tracks. The HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) supports Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II through its HDMI jacks and Optical/Coaxial digital inputs. It also supports Dolby Digital Plus via HDMI.
Virtual Surround Processing for Movies & Music: Exclusive Virtual Surround processing decodes discrete multi-track surround sound channels and uses advanced psycho-acoustic DSP processing algorithms to deliver an immersive surround sound experience with precision front sound-staging and enveloping surround sound, without the need for side or rear speakers. Movie and Music modes let you choose the best audio performance for blockbuster movies and your favorite music tracks. The HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) also offers additional audio settings to improve your listening experience.
- Dialog Enhancer: Dialog enhancer improves dialog intelligibility; ideal for movies and TV shows with complex audio soundtracks when it's often hard to discern what performers are saying.
- Dynamic Bass Boost: Denon's proprietary Dynamic Bass Boost provides advanced frequency and dynamic range tailoring to deliver deep bass while preventing distortion due to excessive overload.
- Night Mode: Night Mode lets you listen at reduced volume levels, letting you enjoy the full range audio experience without disturbing other family members. The Night Mode can be activated in stereo mode, as well as with any of the three available custom sound modes.
HDMI 2.0: Featuring one HDMI input and one HDMI ARC output, the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) incorporates an advanced video section that features the HDMI 2.0 specification; including support for 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video with HDCP 2.2 compatibility (a requirement for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content), 3D video, and ARC (Audio Return Channel). This system does not support HDR.
- 4K/60Hz: The HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second on all of its HDMI inputs and output. It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI. There is no video resolution upscaling.
- HDCP 2.2: All of the soundbar's HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- 3D Ready: The HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible TVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your ARC compatible TV to the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your TV.
Note: The ARC-enabled HDMI input of some TVs will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, so we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray player or Satellite/Cable box to the HEOS soundbar directly; and then connect the soundbar's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
Digital & Analog Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) is outfitted with digital (optical/coaxial) and analog (stereo minijack) audio inputs.
- Optical & Coaxial: For TVs without ARC via HDMI, you can connect the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) via one of the two available digital audio connections; both optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) digital audio inputs are provided. These digital inputs support 2ch PCM and 5.1ch Dolby Digital/DTS.
- Minijack: Additionally, Denon has included a stereo analog minijack (3.5mm) input jack that lets you connect the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) to your TV without ARC or a digital output, or to a portable music player. This connection only supports 2ch PCM.
Note: The digital optical output of some flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
USB Port: The HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) is fitted with a rear-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of high-resolution and compressed music files from a USB mass storage class memory device, such as a USB thumbdrive (formatted in FAT 32). You'll be able to control your USB device's music and view song/artist info from the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the speaker's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. USB audio can be distributed other HEOS products connected to your home network.
- Music Browsing: Use the HEOS app on your mobile device to browse your connected USB device's music library by Artist, Album, Genre, or Song. You can also type in an artist name or song title to find music in your USB device's library.
- Playback Control: Basic playback control from the HEOS app includes Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track.
- Song/Artist Info: You are able to view song/artist information with Album Art from your inserted USB device on the HEOS app.
Note: It is not possible to connect and use a computer via the USB port of this unit using a USB cable.
High Resolution & Compressed Music Formats: The HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) supports compatibility with high-resolution audio files for the ultimate listening experience over DLNA or USB. Listen to uncompressed WAV (PCM), ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec), and FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) music files up to 24-bit/192-kHz; as well as DSD (2.8/5.6MHz). HEOS is also compatible with compressed music files; such as MP3, WMA, and AAC (MPEG4).
|Resolution||Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|Hi-Res||WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.wav|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||44.1/48/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.flac|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)||44.1/48/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.m4A|
|Compressed||MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|AAC (MPEG-4)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a|
Bluetooth Music Streaming: The HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) offers built-in Bluetooth, so you can wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop to the soundbar speaker system. You can control basic playback function, such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track from the included remote control. Advanced music browsing and song/artist/album information is still done from your Bluetooth-enabled source device. Bluetooth audio can be streamed to only the soundbar, or distributed to other HEOS speakers and amplifiers over the network for multiroom audio playback.
HEOS Wireless Multi-Room Sound: The HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) by Denon is part of the HEOS wireless multi-room audio eco-system; comprising of a family of wireless network speakers, AV receivers, amplifiers, & pre-amplifiers for your whole home. There is a free HEOS app to control them from your Apple iOS or Android mobile device. You can enjoy your favorite streaming music services, internet radio, or your own music collection through out your home. Plus, set-up is intuitive and simple. To make HEOS wireless multi-room audio work in your home, you'll need.
- Denon's HEOS network audio speakers, receiver amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers
- a wireless (WiFi) home network with internet connection
- an Apple iOS or Android mobile device connected to your home wireless (WiFi) network
- the free HEOS app downloaded on your Apple iOS or Android device
Note: Prior to using the HEOS system, you'll need to setup up your free HEOS account. Your HEOS account remembers all your settings and preferences such as all your music service logins and HEOS playlists. When you'd like to add multiple smartphone or tablet controllers to your system, you only need to sign in to each new device with your HEOS user name and password. Instantly all your music services and HEOS playlists are available in the new controller too. If you prefer, multiple HEOS accounts can be setup in a single household. This way, each family member can enjoy their own personalized Pandora, Spotify, etc. account settings and still share all the same speakers in the home.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The HEOS system uses your home's wireless (WiFi) network for whole-house audio entertainment. The HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) can connect to your home's network via Ethernet (RJ-45) or dual-WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4GHz/5GHz). At least a dual-band (2.4/5GHz) "N" router is recommended for the most reliable wireless network connection for high-resolution music playback. The free HEOS app for Apple iOS and Android is used for wireless (WiFi) setup with your home's network.
- Wired Setup: Simply connect the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) to your home network using an Ethernet cable and the speaker will appear on the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device as a new room in the Rooms screen of the app.
- Wireless Setup: Use the HEOS app on your mobile device and the included minijack cable to connect the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) wirelessly to your home's WiFi network. During setup, you will need to connect the included minijack cable to the headphone jack of your mobile device and the Aux input of the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2). The app will then copy your mobile device's wireless network settings over to the speaker via the connected cable. You can add additional wireless speakers to the HEOS system by selecting "Add Device" from the HEOS app's settings menu.
Note: A WiFi extender (sold separately) may be necessary if your network's wireless signal is weak to some of the HEOS speakers or players in your application.
Hi-Res & Audiophile-Grade Synchronization: To deliver a true audiophile listening experience for high-resolution music playback (up to 24-bit/192kHz) with multiple HEOS speakers & receivers at once, each HEOS speaker and receiver must be synchronized to an extremely high degree. Based on years of meticulous research, HEOS delivers unparalleled synchronization performance within microseconds for exceptional high-resolution music playback.
- HEOS Gen 2: HEOS Gen 2 (HS2) products, like the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2), will distribute high-resolution music files (up to 24-bit/192kHz) throughout your home to other HEOS Gen 2 (HS2) product; without any down-sampling.
- HEOS Gen 1: HEOS Gen 2 (HS2) products, like the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2), will down-sample high-resolution music files (up to 24-bit/192kHz) to CD-quality (16-bit/44.1kHz) and then distribute the music throughout your home to older HEOS Gen 1 product.
Online Music Services: You'll be able to stream your favorite online music service like Pandora, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Tidal, Amazon, Rhapsody, TuneIn, Spotify Connect, Amazon Music, and more. The HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device will serve as the controller for these apps and provide song/artist information with Album Art. You can create a "Favorite" station list, so you can quickly access your favorite internet radio stations and online music channels. These online music services can be distributed to other HEOS products connected to your home network.
- TuneIn: The HEOS system includes access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the TuneIn radio service. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- Pandora: Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.
- Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify to the HEOS system. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- iHeart Radio: iHeartRadio is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.
- Napster: Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- TIDAL: TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Amazon Music: Listen to over a million songs, thousands of playlists, and ad-free personalized stations with Amazon Music. Requires an Amazon Prime membership (currently $10.99 per month or $99 per year).
Note: Availability of online music services may vary by region. Not all services may be available at time of purchase. Some services may be added or discontinued from time to time based on decisions of the music service providers or others.
Mobile Device Streaming: Using the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you are able to stream your device's music library to the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2). You'll be able to browse your music library by Artist, Album, Genre, and Song; control music playback functions like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track; and view song/artist info with Album Art from the app on your compatible mobile device. You can even type in an artist name or song title to find music in your mobile device's library. Your device's music library can be distributed to other HEOS products connected to your home network.
- Playlists: You can save the Now Playing queue as a HEOS Playlist that you can recall later. The new playlist will be available from the Playlists button on the Music tab on the HEOS controller app.
- Music Sharing: The HEOS App also has a feature called "Music Sharing" which can share the local music stored on your mobile device to other HEOS app users on your home network. The name of the mobile device you are sharing from will appear as a new Local Music source allowing other HEOS controller apps to browse and play music on your device from their device.
DLNA Certified: The HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant. This allows you to wirelessly stream a variety of high-resolution and compressed music files stored on your network connected Windows PC or DLNA-certified NAS drives to the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2). From the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device you can browse music files, control playback and view song/artist information with album art. DLNA music content can be distributed to other HEOS products connected to your home network.
Multi-Room Configuration: By combining the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) with other Denon HEOS wireless music amplifiers and speakers (sold separately), you can configure a true wireless multi-room sound system in your home. You can play the same audio source (other than your connected TV) in every room or any combination of rooms you choose, including a different song in every room. The Denon HEOS wireless audio system automatically synchronizes audio playback between multiple speakers so that the audio coming from different rooms is perfectly in sync with great sound.
- Systems: The HEOS wireless multi-room sound system by Denon can support up to 32 HEOS speakers, receiver, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers (all sold separately) on a single wireless network.
- Sources: The following sources can be distributed through the HEOS multi-room audio system - soundbar inputs (HDMI/Optical/Coax/Aux), compatible online music services, DLNA music servers, Bluetooth audio, compatible music files stored on a USB mass storage class device, and music on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device.
- Groups: You can join or group up to eight individual speakers or amplifiers into a group of speakers that function as if they were a single speaker. The HEOS App is also flexible enough where you can create up to 16 Groups (2 speakers/amplifiers per Group).
- Party Mode: You can easily group 16 rooms together into Party Mode by using a "pinch" gesture.
Note: A Group refers to the HEOS App's ability to play multiple HEOS systems together, so you're simultaneously outputting the same source information from all the HEOS systems. Grouping the systems will also allow proper synchronization to all systems so you should never hear an audio delay between the HEOS systems.
AirPlay 2 (via available firmware update): Through an available firmware update, the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) will support AirPlay 2. AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Denon HEOS soundbar speaker. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2).
Note: AirPlay 2 does not support multiroom audio distribution via HEOS. Multiroom audio distribution can only be done with other AirPlay 2 compatible devices (sold separately).
HEOS App: You'll need to download the HEOS App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device. The app is required and provides everything you need to set up and enjoy music on the HEOS system. Using your mobile device and the HEOS app, you can setup, browse, explore, and control HEOS system right in the palm of your hand, from anywhere in your home. Your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home wireless (WiFi) network as the HEOS speaker system. The HEOS app consists of 4 control screens.
- Settings: The "Settings" screen enables you to connect one or more HEOS speakers, receivers, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers to your home's wireless network. You also get access to Bass & Treble (-5 to +5) and Audio Delay (0-500ms).
- Rooms: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select which rooms you want playing. You can play the same music in multiple rooms by grouping rooms together, or you can listen to a different source in each room.
- Music/Sources: You can select what music and which source you want to listen to from the app. Choose from online music services like Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, Tidal, etc.; your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, Windows PC/DLNA server, or USB thumbdrive; and HDMI, Digital (optical/coaxial), or Aux inputs; as well as Bluetooth on the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2). You can also select music from Playlists you've created, Favorites you've saved, and your recent listening History.
- Now Playing: The "Now Playing" screen displays song, artist, and album information; along with Album Art. You also get basic playback controls like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track, plus Volume controls Up/Down and Mute. In addition the "Now Play" screen functions unique to the selected online music service or music library.
Alexa Compatible: HEOS and Amazon Alexa customers can now enjoy the convenience of Alexa voice control plus high-quality wireless home audio. In addition to controlling your HEOS components with the HEOS app on your mobile device or tablet, you can now control them with Amazon Alexa voice technology and an Amazon Alexa device (such as the Echo or Echo Dot, sold separately). Your HEOS components and the Alex-enabled devices must be on the same network. Voice control features include -
- Alex voice commands include Volume (up/down, specific volume number, & mute); Playback (Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Resume); and Power on/off. The HEOS Bar and HEOS AVR even support HDMI switching (1-4) through Alexa voice command.
- You can group your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app with an Alexa-friendly name. Once they are grouped, Alexa voice commands will control the group as a whole. If you want to play audio content from only one HEOS-enabled device in the group, you must ungroup the device within the HEOS app.
- You are able use voice commands to search for songs, albums and artists and even podcasts and internet stations from HEOS & Alexa compatible music apps - like Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Spotify Connect, & SiriusXM.
Remote Control: The HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) can be programmed to work with your television's IR remote control and also supports HDMI CEC. Please note that the HomeCinema (HS2) does not come with its own remote control.
- TV Learning: Thanks to IR remote learning capability, you can control the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) with your TV's IR remote controller. Control functions include Power on/off & Volume up/down.
- HDMI Control: You can switch off the power, switch input source and adjust the volume of this system using your TV's remote control over an HDMI connection. Your TV also needs to be compatible with the HDMI control function. This function may not operate due to connected devices or settings.
Note: Depending on your TV or installation location, the remote control receiver on the TV may be hidden by the soundbar, preventing the remote control from being used because the remote control signals cannot reach the TV. In this case, connect the supplied IR Blaster. Attach the tip of the IR Blaster near the TV remote control signal receiver and check that the remote control can be used to control the TV.
Standby Modes: The HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) by Denon features two standby modes to save power.
- Auto Standby: To save power, the speaker system will automatically enter Standby mode whenever there is no audio signal or control for 20 minutes and will automatically resume whenever the speaker is selected and playing music again. There is no visible indicator or LED that will show that the speaker is in Standby as it is a fully automatic function.
- Deep Standby: The speaker also has the ability to automatically enter "Deep Standby" whenever their is no wired or wireless audio connection for more than 60 minutes. The front panel LED will turn off during Deep Standby. To "wake" the speaker system from Deep Standby, you must press the volume or mute buttons which will immediately turn on the front panel LED.
Firmware Updates: Firmware and software updates from HEOS are delivered to the HEOS HomeCinema (HS2) via your home network's Internet connection. When such updates become available, you will be notified when you open the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Soundbar Placement: The soundbar of the HomeCinema (HS2) can be table-top mounted or wall mounted. The soundbar speaker should be placed as close as possible to the television screen. It should be centered left-to-right with the screen, and ideally no more than a few inches above or below. The most common location is below the screen.
- Table-Top Mount: The HomeCinema (HS2) comes with a set of feet that raise the soundbar speaker off your table top and over the base or feet of some flat-panel TVs. The soundbar can also be table-top mounted without the feet installed. The feet add 0.625" to the overall height of the soundbar.
- Wall-Mount: If you prefer wall mounting, the soundbar features built-in keyholes that let you easily mount the soundbar directly to the wall (template included). There are also two 1/4"-20 threaded inserts on the rear-panel of the soundbar for attaching optional mounting brackets (sold separately).
Subwoofer Placement: You can place the wireless powered subwoofer practically anywhere in the room; within a wireless range of 25'. For the best sound, place the subwoofer near a wall or corner, within 19' of the soundbar speaker, and on the same side of the room as the soundbar. This compact subwoofer can be placed horizontally or vertically for the widest range of installation options. Attach the supplied non-slip stickers to the subwoofer for hardwood and tile flooring. The port on the back of the subwoofer cabinet should be unobstructed.
Power Requirements: The included active soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector or power conditioner (sold separately). Each comes with a detachable 6.5' AC power cord.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Frequently Compared With
Denon HEOS HomeCinema HS2
Powered 2.1-channel sound bar with wireless subwoofer, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®$599.99Sale: $200.00 off$799.99
Denon HEOS HomeCinema
Powered sound bar and wireless subwoofer for HEOS music systems
Bose® SoundTouch® 300 soundbar
Denon HEOS Bar
Powered sound bar/HEOS music system with 4K/HDR passthrough and Bluetooth®