Macro Twin Lite for Canon EOS DSLR cameras
Our take on the Canon MT-26EX-RT by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Controlled lighting for macro images that pop
Great lighting is key for producing great macro images. Canon's MT-26EX-RT Macro Twin Lite combines two rotatable, detachable flash heads for three-dimensional lighting. The two flash heads can be used together to light your subject evenly, or independently for dramatic effects.
- compatible with all EOS DSLR cameras
- designed for close-up photography with EF and EF-S Macro lenses
- two rotatable, detachable flash heads can be controlled independently to provide three-dimensional light
- flash heads rotate up to 60° horizontally and 45° vertically
- illuminated LCD panel with five different brightness settings and green or orange backlighting for easy adjustment of settings in any lighting conditions
- 2 high-luminance white LED focusing lamps define field of view for easy focusing
- E-TTL (evaluative through-the-lens) and E-TTL II flash exposure control
- wireless multi-flash shooting via radio or optical transmission
- high-speed sync support
- maximum guide number (ISO 100) 85.3 ft.
- recycle Time: 0.1-5.5 Seconds
- expanded manual flash settings range from 1/1 to 1/512
- includes 2 removable diffusers for soft, expansive lighting
- uses 4 "AA" batteries (not included)
- 9-3/16"W x 3-5/8"H x 1-15/16"D (flash heads and mounting ring)
- 2-3/4"W x 4-7/16"H x 3-9/16"D (control unit)
- weight: 20.1 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Control unit with attached twin flash units
- Hood mount
- 2 SDA-E1 Diffuser adapters
- Basic Operating Guide
- Warranty card
Overview: The Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-26EX-RT features dual flash heads that can be independently positioned for creative flash applications. The flash is especially designed for macro and closeup photography. The MT-26EX-RT comes with a mounting ring which places the heads on either side of the lens, dual diffuser attachments, and a handy storage case. The flash operates on 4 "AA" alkaline or Ni-MH rechargeable batteries (not included).
Compatible Cameras: The Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-26EX-RT is designed for shooting closeups with Canon EOS digital and film cameras that are compatible with E-TTL II and E-TTL auto flash. When used with EOS Digital cameras released in and after 2007, you can set flash functions or Custom Functions from the camera's menu screen. The Macro Twin Lite can also be used with radio transmission and optical wireless multiple flash photography, using additional slave units (up to 5 groups or up to 15 flash units).
Lens Compatibility: The Macro Twin Lite can be used with all of Canon's EF & EF-S Macro lenses. The mounting ring attaches to the front of the lens. A Macro Lite Adapter is required when attaching to the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM (Macro Lite Adapter 67) or the EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM (Macro Lite Adapter 72C) lenses. On EOS M-series cameras, the Mount Adapter EF-EOS M is required for attaching EF or EF-S lenses.
Rotating Flash Units: The twin flash units (A and B) are attached to the Control Unit by coiled connecting cords. When mounted to the mounting ring, each flash unit can be rotated horizontally up to 90° (60° inward, 30° outward), and vertically up to 90° (45° forward or backward). The mounting ring also allows each flash unit to rotate up to 80° around the lens (50° toward the top of the lens, 30° toward the bottom of the lens). Each flash head has a mounting foot to fit it into the mounting ring or a shoe-type mount. There is also a 1/4" thread to mount a flash unit onto a tripod.
Control Unit: The Macro Twin Lite MT-26EX-RT has a Control Unit that fits into the camera's external flash hot shoe. The Control Unit features a large (2-3/16" diagonal) LCD panel with a new user interface with green or orange backlighting in 5 different brightness levels. Below the LCD panel are four function buttons, a rotating select dial, and a select button to help you maneuver through the flash's menu settings. Other buttons let you control the Flash Mode, Focusing Lamps, Lamp Firing Ratio, and Power functions. The unit also has a Flash Ready light, which fires a test flash when pressed.
Flash Ratio: With two separate flash units, you can be more creative with shadows by adjusting the flash output of one or the other flash head. You can fire both flashes, or one or the other single units. You can set the flash ratio (A:B) in half-stop increments from 8:1 to 1:1 to 1:8 (13 settings).
Quick Flash: The Macro Twin Lite has a Quick Flash function that allows you to fire the flash before the unit is fully charged. Quick Flash is available when the flash ready light is lit green, and the flash output is approximately 1/2 to 1/6 of the full output.
Lock Function: The Power Switch has a "Lock" position, which lets you disable the flash's button and dial operations. This prevents the flash settings from being accidentally changed after you have set them.
Focus Assist Lamps: Each of the flash units has a bright white LED focusing lamp that help illuminate your subject for easier focusing. You can turn them on manually using the dedicated Lamp button on the control unit, and they light for 20 seconds. They will turn off automatically when you press the shutter button completely. You can choose from 5 brightness levels.
Diffuser Adapters: The Macro Twin Lite MT-26EX-RT comes with two removable light diffusers that fit over the flash head. The diffusers scatters the flash illumination and creates a softer, less intense light. Using the diffusers helps to minimize shadows while maintaining detail in the highlighted areas.
Batteries: The MT-26EX-RT flash uses 4 AA batteries. Alkaline, or Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) rechargeable batteries are recommended. Based on Canon's testing standards, new alkaline batteries yield approximately 100-700 flashes, while fully charged Ni-MH batteries provide 110 to 770 flashes. With the optional CP-E4N Compact Battery Pack, which plugs into the side of the Control Unit, the number of flashes increases to 260-1820.
Auto Power Off: To save battery power, the flash will turn off automatically after approximately 90 seconds of idle use. To "wake up" the flash again, you will need to press the camera shutter button halfway, or the test flash button.
- Guide number: (ISO 100, in feet/meters)
- Both Sides Firing: 85.3/26
- Single Side Firing: 65.3/19.9
- Flash Duration (Flash Output - Firing Duration):
- 1/1 (full): 1/1300 sec.
- 1/2: 1/1900 sec.
- 1/4: 1/3700 sec.
- 1/8: 1/8700 sec.
- 1/16: 1/13000 sec.
- 1/32: 1/23000 sec.
- 1/64: 1/34000 sec.
- 1/128: 1/42000 sec.
- 1/256: 1/58000 sec.
- 1/512: 1/67000 sec.
- Flash Exposure Compensation: +/- 3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- Alkaline Batteries: 0.1-5.5 sec (normal flash); 0.1-3.3 sec (quick flash)
- NiMH Batteries: 0.1-3.5 sec (normal flash); 0.1-2.4 sec (quick flash)
- Compact Battery Pack CP-E4N: 0.1-2.5 sec (normal flash); 0.1-2.0 sec (quick flash)
- Overall (flash units on mounting ring): Width 9.097" Height 3.582" Depth 1.86"
- Flash Unit (each): Width 2.185" Height 2.449" Depth 1.939"
- Mounting Ring: Width 5.369" Height 3.582" Depth 1.171"
- Control Unit: Width 2.75" Height 5.162" Depth 2.205"
- Weight (incl. flash units and control unit): 20.1 oz. (without batteries)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.