JL Audio E-Sub e110
Powered subwoofer (Black Gloss)
Our take on the JL Audio E-Sub e110 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
When JL Audio's e110 powered subwoofer prepares to launch, please be sure to fasten your seatbelt, secure all loose items, and place your seat-back and tray in the upright position. That's because this sub is going to take you and your music, movies, and video games on a sonic thrill ride. The e110 goes deep and loud to create intense, heart-pounding bass. But it's about so much more than just "the boom." The e110's massive, long-excursion 10" driver and potent 1,200-watt amplifier combine to provide accuracy and control that gives your bass superb definition, texture, and musicality.
A massive, long-excursion 10" driver delivers deep, taut bass that gives your system a strong musical foundation.
Massive, long-excursion driver
The e110's powerful performance begins with its exceptionally deep driver design. Built around a 10" cast-frame woofer with a massive motor structure, this sub can deliver staggering output without breakup or distortion. JL Audio uses sophisticated DMA (Dynamic Motor Analysis) technology which lets them shape, control and stabilize the driver's magnetic field strength to ensure ultra-linear motor force throughout its long excursion range. This allows the woofer to more faithfully track the input signal for greater bass definition and dynamics.
This sub's driver bolts to the back of its braced cabinet to create a vault-like enclosure for clean, powerful bass.
The extended depth and wide gaps between the cone's rubber surround and dual spiders hold the woofer cone precisely in place as it moves, for the most accurate sound possible. To provide rigid mechanical coupling between driver and cabinet, the woofer's steel front mounting flange also forms the entire front baffle of the finished enclosure. The driver's back-plate is then threaded and bolted to the rear wall of the cabinet for additional support and rigidity. All of these careful steps produce a rock-solid structure for clear, low-distortion bass.
A custom-designed amp with immense power
It takes a special amp to power the e110's massive driver. Fortunately, the 1,200-watt beast JL employs is more than up to the task. They developed a completely new amplifier with a regulated, switching power supply for the e110. This design approach allows the amplifier to be more compact, lightweight, and efficient, yet still deliver nearly limitless, low-distortion power to extract peak performance from the sub's driver.
Convenient, top-mounted controls make adjusting the subwoofer easy. JL also provides a cover plate to hide and protect the controls during normal use. Another thoughtful touch is the rear-panel switch that allows the line level inputs to be configured as grounded or isolated to help eliminate any ground-related noise problems. Plus, a switchable polarity and a fully variable phase control allow you to fine-tune the sub's sound to better match your system and room.
For two-channel music fans with separate components or a compatible receiver, the e110 even includes a true, two-way built-in variable electronic crossover. The crossover's low-pass filtered output feeds the sub's own internal amplifier while the high-pass filtered signal exits through the sub's line outputs to the amp connected to your main speakers. This configuration allows for a more seamless integration between the sub and satellites.
All American muscle
To top things off, every e110 powered sub is built in JL Audio's U.S. factory in Miramar, Florida. Each unit is individually performance-verified and tested to deliver years of listening enjoyment in your music or home theater system.
- frequency response 23-120 Hz (-3dB)
- built-in 1,200-watt RMS amplifier
- front-firing, long-throw 10" woofer
- sealed (acoustic suspension) enclosure
- continuously variable master level volume control
- continuously variable two-way crossover (25-130 Hz)
- continuously variable phase control (0-280°)
- polarity switch (0°, 180°) can help smooth the transition between subwoofer and main speakers
- grounded/isolated switch can reduce any low-frequency hum coming through the line-level audio inputs
- crossover switch to turn subwoofer's internal crossover on or off
- top mounted controls
- three position power switch: off/on/signal-sensing auto on
- speaker-level inputs
- line-level/LFE inputs
- line-level outputs: selectable for full-range or variable (30-130Hz) high-pass
- high-gloss black finish
- 13-1/2"W x 14-3/16"H x 16-5/8"D
- weight: 52.7 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Powered subwoofer
- Grille (attached)
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
Hands down one of the best subwoofers I've heard yet. This puppy is amazing. I'm so glad I finally got away from cheaper subs that leave me wanting. It can handle a wide range and power to spare. From music to video games and movies it just kicks butt.
Robert, Clayton N.C.
JL Audio E-Sub e110 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||10|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||25-130Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||25-130Hz|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||1200|
|Frequency Response||23-120 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
E-Sub series Powered Subwoofer: JL Audio E-Sub series subwoofer combines a state-of-the-art JL Audio subwoofer driver and electronics/amplifier package within a highly optimized enclosure to deliver an exceptional listening experience in your home theater or home audio system.
10" Woofer: The 10" subwoofer driver in the E110 subwoofer system is capable of outstanding linear excursion without distress or audible distortion. This custom-engineered driver enables the E110 to reproduce powerful low-frequency events with stunning impact and outstanding accuracy. The 10" subwoofer driver offers peak-to-peak excursion capabilities well in excess of 2.5" to comfortably handle the dynamics of the most demanding program material.
- DMA Technology: JL Audio's exclusive DMA technology is applied to shape, control, and stabilize the woofer' motor strength, ensuring linear behavior over a very long excursion range. Unlike typical steady-state modeling systems, JL Audio's approach takes into account the dynamic shifts created by current flow and back EMF under real power conditions, with real program material. The payoff offered by DMA optimization is a subwoofer that more faithfully tracks its input signal at all listening levels, leading to superior bass definition and dynamics.
- Floating Cone Attach Method (FCAM): JL Audio's patented FCAM technology is an innovative method of bonding the surround/cone assembly to the voice coil former/spider assembly. This feature helps ensure concentricity of the surround, spider and voice coil without torquing the suspension to achieve it. This allows for the inevitable, slight variations in production part dimensions without having them negatively impact the integrity of the suspension and coil-centering at high excursions.
- Vented Reinforcement (VRC): The Vented Reinforcement Collar (VRC) is a composite structure that addresses two issues related to reliability. By reinforcing the critical junction between the cone, voice coil and spider, the VRC greatly reduces failures due to glue breakdown or material weakness. It does this by greatly increasing adhesive contact area and providing stress relief to the spider material at excursion extremes. By reinforcing the critical junction between the cone, voice coil and spider, the VRC greatly reduces failures due to glue breakdown or material weakness. It does this by greatly increasing adhesive contact area and providing stress relief to the spider material at excursion extremes
- Extreme Mounting Depth: The extreme mounting depth of the E-Sub series woofer is very deliberate. It permits wide gaps to exist between the three suspension elements (the rubber surround and the dual spiders), imparting exceptional mechanical stability over the driver's full excursion range. This further improves linearity, reduces distortion, and enhances long-term reliability.
- Engineered Lead-Wire System: Carefully engineered lead-wire design and attachments ensure controlled, quiet lead-wire behavior under the most extreme excursion demands.
1200W Amplifier: To power the E110, JL Audio engineered a completely new 1200W Class D amplifier with a regulated, switching power supply. This approach helps make the amplifier more compact, lightweight and efficient, while still delivering ample, clean power to fully exercise the 10" woofer's performance.
Rigid MDF Enclosure: The beautiful cabinet enclosing the workings of the E110 powered sub is also the result of careful engineering. To contain the pressures created by the 10" woofer, JL Audio utilized solid, CNC-cut, MDF material with extensive internal bracing features and advanced assembly techniques. The steel front mounting flange of the 10" woofer also forms the entire front baffle of the finished product, while the back-plate of the driver is threaded and bolted to the rear wall of its enclosure for support.
Top-Panel Controls: The built-in amplifier also incorporates a studio-grade signal-processing section, which is controlled from a panel on the top of the subwoofer cabinet (instead of on the back, like most other powered subs). An attractive cover is also included to hide and protect the controls during normal use.
- Volume Level: The "Master Level" Knob is used to set the output level of the E110 relative to the rest of your audio system. When rotated fully counter clockwise, the E110's output will be fully muted. When at the "0" or straight up position, the level is at reference gain. When turned fully clockwise, the sub's level is at its maximum sensitivity (loudest).
- Crossover: The built-in, active crossover (25-130Hz) is a true two-way, 4th order Linkwitz-Riley design, with a 24dB/octave low-pass filter feeding the subwoofer's amplifier and a 24dB/octave high-pass filtered signal exiting through a pair of line outputs. The on-board crossover can be defeated for home theater receiver's with an LFE output and its own built-in low-pass crossover.
- Polarity & Phase Control: A polarity switch (0/180°) and phase control (0-280°) are provided to aid in achieving an optimal acoustic transition between the powered subwoofer and your main speakers.
Note: All signal processing is performed in the analog domain, ensuring very low latency in critical applications
Analog Inputs & Outputs: Analog inputs are provided for unbalanced line-level (RCA) signals or high-level (speaker) signals. Using a rear-panel switch, the line level inputs can be configured as grounded or isolated, which is very useful in combating ground-related noise problems. For receivers with a mono subwoofer or "LFE" outputs, only one RCA jack will be used (Left or Right). The line outputs deliver a pass-through signal that permits multiple E-Sub series powered subwoofer to be interconnected in a "daisy-chain" arrangement.
Auto Power On: The E110 powered subwoofer will power up its internal amplifier when it detects an audio signal at any of its inputs, and will power down the internal amplifier if no signal has been detected at its inputs for approximately 30 minutes. While dormant, the powered sub consumes less than 0.5 watts of power. You can also manually turn the powered sub on/off.
Note: The LED indicator will be amber when dormant and green when operational.
Applications: The E-Sub series powered subwoofer has been designed to allow use in a wide range of applications; from full home theater systems to dedicated two-channel music systems, to desktop audio workstations.
Placement: JL Audio recommends that you begin by placing the E-Sub powered subwoofer in the front of the room, on the floor, near the front left or right speaker. Placing the E-Sub powered sub near solid walls will reinforce bass response and pulling it away from solid walls will decrease bass. Increasing the distance between the subwoofer and the walls may help to smooth upper bass response in some rooms. JL Audio also recommends that you avoid placing the E-Sub series powered sub near windows to prevent rattling and sound transmission to the outside world.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Good reputation, good specs. Simple to use. [ JOHN V Apr 13, 2018 ]
Goes perfectly with my Golden Ear soundbar. [ Edson W Sep 13, 2017 ]
quality [ Henry Apr 27, 2017 ]
Good reviews online and auditioned [ Mark Aug 28, 2018 ]
Is a nice little sub that match well with my Utopia Diablo Speakers. That's why I bought two [ Anthony Nov 12, 2016 ]
It was recommended by a local shop. [ Marc Jun 01, 2016 ]
Serious audiophiles told me that for the money it is hands-down the bomb. [ Noel Jan 04, 2016 ]
Size, Build quality, possitive reveiws everywhere [ Rob Feb 05, 2016 ]
3 questions already asked
Sounds like a ground loop. Make sure your sub's power cord is plugged into the same ac outlet as your preamp/amp or receiver. [ David Feb 17, 2017 ]
First try to flip the polarity switch on the back of the subwoofer, if that doesn't work try a different cable. Preferably one from audioquest with a ground wire built in. Just connect it to a screw on the sub and a screw on your preamp/receiver. [ Ryan Feb 17, 2017 ]
From the back of the cabinet box to the front without the grill cover is 15". With the grill cover it is 16". There are protruding cooling fins on the back of the cabinet box that stick out another 1/2". [ Timothy Jan 16, 2016 ]
You can split the single output to utilize both the right and left inputs on this subwoofer. You would simply need an adapter cable like the ones found here: http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/rca_splitter.html [ Jeff Sep 03, 2014 ] Staff