Mackie Onyx Artist 1·2™
USB 2.0 audio interface for Mac® and PC
From Mackie: Onyx Series USB Audio Interfaces
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Mackie Onyx Artist 1·2™ by Crutchfield's James Ralston
This simple, compact audio interface from Mackie lets you capture your song ideas on your Mac® or PC. Its high-quality mic preamp lets you record rich, dynamic vocal takes. You also get an instrument input for connecting guitars, basses, or keyboards.
Plug your headphones of choice into the front-panel input to hear what you're doing. Or hook up a pair of studio monitors to the 1/4" outputs on the back. For zero-latency monitoring while you're recording, engage the "Direct Monitor" switch to hear dry analog signals.
The Onyx Artist 1·2 works with all major DAW (digital audio workstation) software for the Mac and Windows® platforms. To get you started, it comes bundled with a powerful DAW called Tracktion T7™, along with a range of audio effect plugins.
- computer audio interface with 2 input and 2 output channels
- 1 high-performance Mackie Onyx™ mic preamp
- dedicated line/instrument input with "high-Z" button for plugging in electric guitars and basses
- zero-latency direct analog monitoring
- bundled software includes Tracktion T7™ DAW and effects plugins
- compatible with all major DAWs for Mac® and Windows®
- supports sample rates up to 192kHz
- +48V phantom power for use with condenser mics
- rugged Built-Like-A-Tank™ construction
- powered by your computer via USB (cable included)
- front-panel XLR mic input
- 1/4" TRS line/instrument input
- stereo 1/4" TRS outputs for connecting studio monitors
- 1/4" headphone output
- USB 2.0 port for connection to a computer
Dimensions & Warranty:
- 6-7/16"W x 2"H x 4-1/2"D
- 1.1 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- USB Interface
- 58" USB cable (Type-A on one end
- type-B on other
- Quickstart guide (Eng / Span / Fren / Germ)
- Tracktion software license code sheet
Overview: The Mackie Artist 1*2 is a 1-in/2-out USB interface featuring Mackie's Onyx mic preamps for studio-quality fidelity and dynamic range, maximum headroom, and ultra-low noise. Onyx preamps were designed to capture the warmth and accuracy in everything from vocals to guitars with 24-Bit/192 kHz resolution. Input 1 includes an XLR jack that can accept balanced mic level signals while Input 2 has a 1/4" TRS jack that accepts balanced and unbalanced signals and includes a Hi-Z switch for instrument level signals. Incorporating Mackie's "Built Like A Tank" construction, the Artist 1*2 is ready for the most demanding jobs and live use.
Zero-Latency: The Artist 1*2 features a true analog monitoring path directly from the preamps to the Line and Headphone outputs. This allows you to listen in either mono or stereo to the direct analog source with zero routing while tracking. This means your computer's buffer settings can be adjusted to maximize its processing ability.
USB: The Artist 1*2 features USB 2.0 connectivity for fast data transfer and minimal latency and is bus powered from the host computer, eliminating the need for an external power supply. The interface is compatible with both Mac (Core Audio) and PC (ASIO).
Tracktion: With the purchase of an Artist 1*2, Mackie offers a free, downloadable copy of Tracktion T7 DAW software. This is a full-featured DAW with a plethora of creative tools including unlimited track count and compatibility with all popular plugins. Also included is the DAW Essentials Collection, comprised of 16 contemporary FX plug-ins that can be used with any DAW. These plugins utilize the very latest algorithms and coding techniques to deliver extraordinary sound quality. Tracktion is compatible with Mac, Windows, and Linux operating systems.
Front Panel: Input 1 on the the Artist 1*2 includes a balanced XLR jack that accepts mic level signals and includes a switch for providing +48V phantom power. Input 2 has a 1/4" TRS jack, for balanced and unbalanced signals, and includes a Hi-Z switch for instrument level signals. Both Inputs have a Gain control, and an LED signal indicator that will light green when a signal is present on that channel and go red if the signal starts to overload. The Monitor section includes a master level control and a Direct Monitor button for monitoring the input signal with zero-latency. It also includes a 1/4" stereo headphone jack with its own level control. A USB LED will illuminate green when successfully connected to a computer via the rear USB port.
Rear Panel: Includes the USB type-B port for connection to a computer DAW and a set of Left/Right 1/4" Line Outputs for running to powered studio monitors or an amp driving passive speakers. The Line Output jacks can accept a balanced (TRS connector) or unbalanced (TS connector) connection. The rear panel also includes a security slot designed to fit a Kensington security lock.
- Frequency Response (minimum gain, +4 dBu / -6 dBFS input):
- All Inputs: +/- 0.5 dB, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- All Outputs: +/- 0.5 dB, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Noise Characteristics (RMS, 10 Hz - 22 kHz):
- Mic Inputs: < -100 dBFS
- Line Inputs: < -100 dBFS
- Instrument Inputs: < -100 dBFS
- Line Outputs, balanced: < -85 dBu
- Headphone Output: < -75 dBu
- THD (+4 dBu / -6 dBFS, 1 kHz input, minimum gain):
- Mic Input: < 0.001%
- Line Input: < 0.005%
- Instrument Input: < 0.005%
- Line Outputs, balanced: < 0.001%
- Headphone Output: < 0.002%
- Maximum Levels (0 dBFS, 1 kHz):
- Mic Input (gain at min.): +11 dBu
- Line Input (gain at min.): +24 dBu
- Instrument Input (gain at min.): +24 dBu
- Line Output (vol. at max.): +10 dBu
- Headphone Output (vol. at max.): +10 dBu
- Female XLR (bal.): 1
- Female 1/4" (bal. / unbal.): 1
- Female 1/4" (bal. / unbal.): Left and Right
- USB: Type-B, 2.0, 24-Bit / 192 kHz
- Power Requirements: High-power USB device (5V, up to 500 mA)
- Dimensions: Width - 6.313", Height - 1.875", Depth - 5.50" (w/ USB cord)
- Weight: 1.1 lbs.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.