Pro-Ject AD Box S2
Phono preamplifier with USB
Our take on the Pro-Ject AD Box S2 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Digitize — or just listen to — your record collection
The Pro-ject AD Box S2 is a fine phono preamplifier for everyday use, and it lets you digitize your favorite records. Archive your library on your computer and listen to songs on the go using your tablet or smartphone.
This phono preamp is compatible with moving magnet and moving coil cartridges. Use the mini-B USB output on the back to connect to a computer, and use software (not included) to convert analog files. There's a large, user-friendly gain knob on the front, and RCA inputs and outputs on the back for making analog connections.
- compatible with moving magnet and moving coil phono cartridges
- front-panel power switch, gain control, and input selector
- rear-panel mini-B USB output for connecting to a computer
- Windows® and Mac® compatible
- recording software not included (Pro-Ject recommends Audacity, a free sound recording and editing software program available at www.audacityteam.org
- front-mounted switch toggles between input sources:
- gold-plated RCA phono input
- 3.5mm stereo auxiliary line input
- gold-plated RCA line-level output
- external power supply for reduced noise and interference
- small size allows placement near turntable
- signal-to-noise ratio: 94dB (MM), 75dB (MC)
- THD: less than 0.003% (MM); less than 0.02% (MC)
- RIAA response accuracy: less than 0.4dB (20-20,000 Hz)
- one pair of RCA inputs and outputs
- 4-1/16"W x 1-1/2"H x 5"D
- weight: 11.8 oz.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Phono (MM/MC) pre-amplifier
- AC power adapter (attached 47" cord)
- 3 AC power adapter plugs (US/EU/UK)
- Instructions For Use
Pro-Ject AD Box S2 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Phono Preamp (MM/MC): The Pro-Ject AD Box S2 Phono allows you to connect a turntable with either a MM (moving magnet) or MC (moving coil) cartridge to today's home receiver's and amplifier which do not offer a dedicated phono input. There is a button on the back of the unit which allows you to switch between MM or MC mode.
Dual-Mono Circuitry: The AD Box S2 Phono provides optimal channel separation through dual-mono circuitry and low-noise ICs.
RIAA Equalization: The Pro-Ject AD Box S2 Phono provides amplification and RIAA equalization for both MM and MC cartridges.
RCA Connections: The AD Box S2 Phono features gold-plated stereo RCA connections. A stereo RCA input connects your turntable, and a stereo RCA output connects your home receiver or amplifier. RCA cables sold separately.
Ground Terminal: The AD Box S2 Phono also has a turntable ground, in case your turntable has a separate ground lead. This provides shielding to the tone-arm and the sensitive circuitry in the turntable.
A/D Converter with USB Output: The AD Box S2 Phono features a built-in A/D converter (Burr Brown PCM2904 16-Bit Delta Sigma) with a mini-USB (type-B) output to record your vinyl music to a Windows PC or Mac computer (USB cable not included). The unit supports sampling frequencies of 32, 44.1, and 48kHz. Your computer must have a suitable recording program installed (the Phono Box USB does not provide built-in recording software).
Note: Runs on Windows (XP/Vista/7/8) and Mac OS X operating systems with automatic recognition and no additional drivers required.
Outboard Power Supply: The Pro-Ject AD Box S2 Phono operates off of standard household AC current, using the supplied AC power adapter. The external power adapter is separate from the phono preamp to further improve sound quality.
- Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz, 0.6A
- Output: 5V - 1A
Metal Case: The AD Box S2 Phono's metal case shields the electronics from vibration and electromagnetic interference.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.