32-channel HD network video recorder for surveillance systems
Our take on the ClearView Phoenix-32HP by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Safety and security monitoring for a large building
If you have a large facility that needs security inside and out, the ClearView Phoenix-32HP can help give you "eyes" everywhere you need them. There are inputs for up to 16 surveillance cameras (not included), with the ability to expand to 32 (optional power-over-Ethernet switch required, not included). And you can monitor as many feeds as you like via built-in VGA and HDMI outputs. Set your NVR to record constantly, manually turn it on and off, or set it to trigger on movement. When you need to look closer at one part of the room, the Phoenix supports pan/tilt/zoom cameras. The NVR has 4TB of storage, so you can revisit older footage when necessary, and there's a time-saving smart search function that helps you find exactly the section you're looking for.
Note: an additional power-over-Ethernet switch must be added to expand to 32 cameras.
- digital video recorder with 32 HD channels and 4TB internal hard drive
- Note: additional power-over-Ethernet switch (not included) is required to expand to 32 camera inputs
- resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels (30 fps)
- manual, continuous, triggered, and scheduled recording modes
- receive alerts and notifications on your mobile device
- embedded Linux operating system for secure, reliable operation
- smart search function helps you find the right part of a video during playback
- rack-mountable 1.5U with hardware included
- privacy masking zones for cameras in sensitive areas
Connections and Interfaces:
- 16-channel video input via RJ-45 ports with power-over-Ethernet
- simultaneous HDMI (X2) and VGA video output
- 16-channel alarm input
- 4-channel alarm output
- four SATA ports for up to 24TB of additional storage
- single USB 2.0 port in front, dual USB 3.0 ports in back
- RJ-45 Ethernet port for connection to your network
- RS485 port for pan/tilt/zoom (PTZ) control
- RS232 port for adding a keyboard or computer connection
- microphone input/output allows two-way talk
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 17-3/8"W x 2-11/16"H x 18-1/8"D
- weight: 13.22 lbs.
- warranty: 7 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Phoenix-32HP Network Video Recorder (NVR) with built-in 4 TB hard drive
- 58" AC power cord (IEC 3-prong)
- 79" Ethernet cable (RJ-45 plugs on both ends)
- Optical mouse with attached 56" USB cable (Type A USB plug)
- Four 10-conductor Euro connectors
- 12 M3 x 4mm screws
- Two 10" eSATA cables
- 21" eSATA cable
- 2 Rack mount brackets
- 6 M3 x 10mm screws (for brackets)
- Grounding stud
- Grounding nut
- Quick Guide and User Guide on CD-ROM
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
Overview: The ClearView Phoenix-32HP is a commercial-grade, rack-mountable 32-channel, high-performance NVR (network video recorder) with a built-in 4 TB HDD (hard disk drive). You can connect up to 16 high-definition IP cameras for recording video up to 1080p, with an expansion option for up to 32 cameras with optional 4-port or 8-port PoE switches (sold separately). The main stream bandwidth supports 48, 96, or 192 Mbps. The NVR has a network connection (RJ-45), a VGA port and an HDMI port to let you monitor the system in real time. This system is ideal for use in home or retail settings.
Hard Drive Capacity: The Phoenix-32HP NVR includes four built-in SATA ports for installing hard disk drives for storing your video recordings. Each port will support a SATA HDD of up to 6 TB, to give you total internal storage capacity of 24 TB. A 4 TB HDD is installed in one of the four bays. In addition, an eSATA port is provided on the back panel for adding an external HDD for virtually unlimited external storage capacity.
Operating System: The Phoenix-32HP has an embedded LINUX operating system to maintain stable operation.
Digital Watermark: The NVR will allow you to add a digital watermark to verify the video has been tampered with or not. You must enable the watermark, and select watermark bitstream, watermark mode, or watermark character. The default character is "DigitalCCTV," but you can modify it with a custom watermark of up to 85 characters.
Recording: The Phoenix-32HP NVR lets you monitor and record (at up to 30 fps) video from up to 32 remotely-mounted cameras. The unit also has a single RCA audio input for use with an optional microphone. You can set up the NVR to perform motion detection recording, scheduled recording, alarm recording, and manual recording.
Monitoring: You can set up the system to view a single camera in full screen, or split the window to view multiple cameras simultaneously. The monitor grid can include 4, 8, 9, or 16 camera views.
Snapshot: The NVR can record a photo of incoming video at any time, or record a series of photos at a set interval. There are two snapshot modes: regular mode, which you set ahead of time, and trigger mode, which occurs when motion is detected or an alarm is activated. The image size is the same as the main stream of video, and the quality can be set to one of six levels. If you take photos at an interval, you can choose the frequency between 1 and 7 seconds.
Privacy Masking: If there are areas in the camera's view that you do not wish to show, you can use privacy masking to obscure those areas. Up to 4 rectangular zones per camera can be selected for privacy masking.
Pan Tilt Zoom: When PTZ-capable cameras are connected, you can set up each camera to pan and tilt up/down/left/right in a constant pattern (tour), or when an alarm is triggered. You can also control the panning speed, zoom, focus, and iris.
Network Operation: The Phoenix-32HP supports real-time monitoring via a network connection. You will be able to monitor on a PC as a web viewer, as part of a CMS (central management system), or on a smartphone app (iPhone, iPad, Android, or Windows Phone). In addition, you can perform video recording searches remotely, and control the pan, tilt, and zoom (PTZ) action on compatible cameras.
Video Playback: When you are ready to play back recordings, you can search by time, type, or channel. Videos can be played back at normal speed, fast play, slow play, manual frame-by-frame playback, and reverse play. You can switch to the previous or next file, or any file in the current play list. If there are files from another channel recorded at the same time, you can immediately switch to that file. All channel synchronous real time playback is also available. In continuous play mode, the next file automatically plays when the current file ends.
Backup: The Phoenix-32HP allows you to backup your HDD via the provided USB 3.0 ports. The two SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports allow you to connect high capacity HDDs or other types of memory. You can also use a flash drive, a disk burner, or perform backup to the cloud via network download for off-site storage.
Connections: The Phoenix-32HP NVR has the following connections:
- Front Panel: USB 2.0 port (Type A) for connecting supplied optical mouse or USB 2.0 storage device
- Rear Panel:
- PoE Ports: 16 RJ-45 jacks for connecting PoE cameras (Power over Ethernet)
- Audio In: RCA
- Audio Out: RCA (supports two-way talk)
- Video VGA Output: Female DE-15
- 2 HDMI 1.4
- eSATA port
- 2 USB 3.0 Ports (Type A)
- Network Port: RJ-45 (10M/100M/1000Mbps)
- Alarm/PTZ Control Ports: Four 10-pin RS485 ports (4 Euro-connectors are included)
- Ground Screw: A separate ground screw stud and cap are supplied for easier connection of a ground wire.
- AC Power Cord: 3-prong IEC receptacle for supplied power cord
- Power Switch
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.