75" Smart LED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2016 model)
| Watch a product review |
Crutchfield: Sony Z9D 4K Ultra HD TVs
Our take on the Sony XBR-75Z9D by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Backlight Master Drive controls each of the panel's LEDs individually for rich, deep contrast.
The cream of the crop
Sony swears their "Z9D" Ultra HD series TVs are the best they've ever made. That's a big claim, but they convinced me when they stopped by to give us some side-by-side comparisons.
In our main training room the Sony guys set up the smaller Z9D, the 65" XBR-65Z9D. It sat between a top-notch 65" OLED TV on one side, and one of Sony's 30" $30,000 reference monitors on the other. The monitor (which is also OLED) is the same one used by movie studios, and it had been professionally calibrated.
We looked at some test patterns, as well as several 4K/HDR clips from movies and TV shows featuring both nighttime and daylit scenes. The XBR-65Z9D couldn't quite match the absolute black of the OLED TV, but in scene after scene the Z9D's color was consistently more vivid and accurate — it more closely matched what we were seeing on the reference monitor. The Z9D had the best picture I've ever seen on an LED-LCD TV.
Superior contrast from an all-new backlighting system
One of the key advancements of the XBR-75Z9D is its revolutionary new LED backlighting system, called Backlight Master Drive™. Picture contrast is a critical part of what makes a great TV look great. Previous top-of-the-line LED TVs have used a system known as "full-array local dimming" to control their LEDs in small groups or zones. Instead, the '75Z9D provides discrete control over each individual LED in the panel's ultra-dense backlight structure. This offers extremely deep, accurate black levels and incredible contrast, raising the bar for LED TV picture quality.
Sony also uses a patented new "Calibrated Beam LED" design that focuses the light from each LED more precisely than typical LED backlights. This helps avoid the light bleed or "bloom" effect that limits the performance of typical LED-backlit sets.
A new image processor gets the most out of HDR
The 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme engine removes image noise and improves clarity.
HDR (High Dynamic Range) is one of the biggest advancements to come along in TV technology in recent years. Movies and shows that are encoded with HDR give you incredibly vivid image color, brightness, and detail when displayed on a compatible TV. HDR is available on select Ultra HD Blu-ray titles as well as select programming from streaming services like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and Vudu — and the list is growing.
The '75Z9D uses an all-new 4K HDR Processor X1™ Extreme engine to get the most out of HDR-encoded content. Its object-based remastering system looks at each object within a frame and renders its contrast and color individually. This is a big upgrade over traditional processing which renders an entire frame uniformly. And the processor's Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR function ensures that sunsets and other colorful scenes appear lifelike and smooth, without color banding.
Enjoy more natural-looking colors
The XBR-75Z9D uses Sony's TRILUMINOS™ Display technology to offer a wider range of reds, blues, and greens than you get with a traditional LED panel. This expanded palette ensures that colors don't become over-saturated. Instead, they look more lifelike and natural. Think about watching a football or baseball game, and seeing all of the shades of green appear the way they would on an actual grassy field. Or seeing your favorite actor's face — with all of its subtle skin tones — displayed with nuance and authenticity. That's the sort of true-to-life color that the '75Z9D delivers.
Android TV delivers a smooth streaming experience
The built-in Android™ operating system lets you do a lot of things you're used to doing on your tablet or smartphone. Log in with your Google ID to access a huge collection of apps, games, movies, and other content from Google Play. The Google Cast (now called Chromecast built-in) feature lets you stream movies, pictures, and TV shows from your iOS® or Android-based phone or from a laptop. Sony's user-friendly on-screen interface is easy to navigate. Anyone in the family can pick up the remote and find their favorite show. You can even use the remote's built-in microphone to search for content using your voice.
Blazing-fast wireless streaming
The '75Z9D features the latest Wi-Fi standards for fast streaming and reliable wireless connectivity. Unsure if your network can handle demanding tasks like 4K streaming? Check out our wireless router buying guide. If you haven't upgraded your hardware in the last few years, a new router will offer big improvements in range and speed.
Use the Sanus MountFinder™ to see a list of wall-mounts that work with your specific TV.
- 74.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- Motionflow™ XR 1440 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate)
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10 and HLG) for extended picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content from connected sources or streamed from the TV's built-in apps
- support for Dolby Vision™ HDR was recently added via firmware update, but so far it only works when using the TV's built-in streaming apps; Dolby Vision via HDMI-connected sources is not yet supported
- full-array direct-lit LED backlight with Backlight Master Drive™ controls the panel's LEDs individually for unparalleled picture contrast and black levels
- 4K HDR Processor X1™ Extreme engine and 4K X-Reality™ PRO upscaler ensure the cleanest, clearest picture for all video sources
- offers 40% more real-time image processing than the previous X1 processor
- 16X more precise with HDR content, and 64X more precise with SDR content than the previous X1 processor
- HDR Remaster improves color and contrast for SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) content
- X-tended Dynamic Range PRO™ technology delivers superb brightness levels
- TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
- 10-bit panel can display over one billion colors
- 3D TV (two pairs of active 3D glasses included)
- Super Bit Mapping™ 4K HDR employs 14-bit processing to minimize color banding and create smooth transitions between shades of a color
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- DIRECTV 4K Ready DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can enjoy 4K service and full DVR features without an additional receiver
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- Android TV™ lets you access and enjoy apps and other content from Google Play as well as share content between your TV and other Android devices
- Netflix Recommended TV offers a unique feature set that makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy
- dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi® provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- mobile-to-TV wireless mirroring with Miracast™ enabled phones and tablets
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android™ let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
- 4 HDMI 2.0b
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 1 composite video (3.5mm A/V minijack — adapter cable required)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for a fast, reliable wired network connection
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a thumb drive or other device
- built-in down-firing speakers (10 watts x 2)
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- Voice Remote with built-in microphone included
- supports voice control of compatible apps:
- detachable pedestal stand ("footprint" is 17-1/4"W x 11-1/16"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 66-3/8"W x 38-3/8"H x 3-1/4"D (41-1/8"H x 11-1/16"D on stand)
- weight: 99.4 lbs. with stand; 91 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 75" LED-LCD TV
- Pedestal base
- Pedestal guide
- Remote control (RMF-TX200U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Two 3D glasses
- Dual IR blaster
- Eight M5 x 16mm screws (lock & flat washers)
- Large back cover
- 2 Small back covers (pre-installed)
- Reference Guide (En/Fr)
- Setup Guide
- "How To Perform Software Update" instructions
- "Child Safety" note
- Safety & Regulatory Booklet
- End User License Agreement
- "Attention" note
- US Warranty
- Canada Warranty
- DIRECTV brochure
- Active 3D Glasses Operating Instructions
Sony XBR-75Z9D Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Network & USB Functions
4K HDR: For the ultimate in picture quality, this TV pairs the brilliance of 4K clarity with the brightness, color, and detail of High Dynamic Range (HDR). Combined with 4K Ultra HD resolution, HDR video content delivers exceptional detail, color and contrast, with a far wider range of brightness than other video formats. The result is the most lifelike picture TVs have ever been able to create, with brilliant highlights and fine detail. Please use a premium high speed HDMI cable with 18 Gbps and above to view HDR content.
- Ultra 4K Resolution: See more on TV than ever before with over 8 million individual pixels (3,840 x 2,160) compared to about 2 million (1,920 x 1,080) on your 1080p HDTV. Advanced picture processing also ensures that every single pixel displays images with superb brightness and authentic detail. It's the highest resolution picture Sony has ever produced on a TV.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range)
reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels,
bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This
increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed
blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity
and detail. HDR is only supported on the TV HDMI 2 & 3 inputs. The Sony TV
supports three HDR formats - including HDR10 which is the most widely used
format and is installed from the factory, HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) which is
designed for over-the-air broadcast and requires a firmware update that is
currently available, and Dolby Vision which is a dynamic HDR format that
requires a firmware update that is currently available.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HLG: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses not metadata, Dolby Vision adjusts brightness, color, and contrast automatically for each scene. Dynamic metadata carries information that maps every image to your TV's display capabilities, so you see more of what the content creator intended.
Note: Dolby Vision compatibility is currently only available through the TV's network streaming apps (such as Netflix, Amazon, etc.). An additional firmware update (no ETA) is required for Dolby Vision compatibility through the TV's HDMI inputs.
4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme: Made to enhance the latest generation of 4K HDR pictures, the 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme brings reality to every scene. With 40% more real-time image processing than Sony's renowned 4K Processor X1, it delivers unprecedented picture quality for everything you watch, upscaling content from any source nearer to 4K HDR quality.
- 4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler: The 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme employs Sony's 4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler to enhance Ultra-HD, HD, and SD images by analyzing and refining images with beautifully natural detail and astounding color. The 4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler upscales your favorite TV shows, DVDs and Blu-ray movies, even video-on-demand content, and smartphone videos to Ultra-HD quality. The 4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler breathes new life into everything you see with phenomenal 4K (3,840 x 2,160) resolution.
- Object-Based HDR Remaster: By analyzing the objects in each scene individually, the 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme's Object-Based HDR remaster optimizes and enhances color and contrast. It brings everything you watch closer to the quality of HDR. Dark elements get darker, bright elements get brighter and everything in between is more accurately lit, for never-before-possible realism in every scene.
- Dual Database Processing: The 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme has two imaging databases that work together in real time to improve your picture. By searching through thousands of picture patterns in Sony-exclusive databases for noise reduction and super-resolution, they remove unwanted noise and upscale every image to the clarity of 4K, so you can enjoy incredible picture quality no matter the source.
- Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR: The 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme's Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR creates a smoother, more natural picture by minimizing its color banding. With 14-bit powerful signal processing, it breaks up the solid bands of color of an 8-bit or 10-bit source, up-converting to 14-bit equivalent gradation, with 64x more color levels. It delivers graceful reproduction of faces, sunsets, and other areas of subtle color gradation.
Backlight Master Drive: The Backlight Master Drive is a backlight technology that combines an ultra-dense LED structure, a spectacular algorithm, and a completely new optical design. Powered by the 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme, this technology delivers incredibly deep black, dazzling lights, and more vibrant color than you've ever seen on the big screen.
- Calibrated Beam LED Design: The Backlight Master Drive has a new optical LED design which keeps light only where it's needed in each scene. By gathering light more effectively, the design reduces diffusion and the flare effect that might be seen on other full-array TVs, for greater brightness and more accurate contrast than ever before.
- Discrete LED Control: Combined with the latest local dimming algorithm, the Backlight Master Drive discretely controls each LED in the ultra-dense structure. This delivers total precision for unparalleled contrast and realism.
TRILUMINOS Display: Unique to Sony, a TRILUMINOS Display enriches your viewing experience with a wider palette of colors and more natural shades and hues. A TRILUMINOS Display excels at reproducing reds, greens, and blues; colors that are notoriously difficult for TVs to display accurately. It also displays skin tones beautifully, thanks to its extensive color palette and precise gradation.
X-tended Dynamic Range PRO Technology: With extraordinary precision in backlight control, X-tended Dynamic Range PRO makes darker areas darker and brighter scenes brighter, revitalizing every scene with the widest range of brightness possible. This unique backlighting algorithm faithfully reproduces a far wider brightness range than a conventional LED-LCD TV with brighter peaks and deeper, more revealing shadow detail and blacks. By precisely balancing the light output across the screen, dimming some areas and boosting others, X-tended Dynamic Range PRO reveals a brightness range 3x that of a conventional LED-LCD TV. When combined with a 4K HDR signal, you'll experience even greater brilliance in every scene as it increases the quality of 4K/HDR with finely-gradated bands of color and more vibrant colors.
MotionFlow XR 1440 Technology: Enjoy exceptionally smooth and sharp details even in fast-moving sequences with Motionflow XR 1440. Sony's MotionFlow XR 1440 technology feature an extremely precise backlight control that is synchronized with the liquid crystal movement from frame-to-frame creating clearer, sharper moving images. MotionFlow XR 1440 combines 120 frames-per-second with the TV's very advanced LED backlight system to simulate a 1440 Hz effect. This innovative technology creates and inserts extra frames between the original ones and then compares key visual factors on successive frames, then calculates the split second of missing action in the sequences. MotionFlow XR 1440 provides really smooth and precise detail during fast-action scenes for fast action movies and sports by reducing blur caused by quick camera movements, enhancing image sharpness, and overall creating a clearer picture. You can select between various settings - Standard, Smooth, Clear, True Cinema (24fps), and Custom.
Video Inputs: The Sony Ultra-HD TV is equipped with HDMI 2.0a, Component, and Composite video inputs. A back cover has to be removed to access these video inputs.
- HDMI 2.0a: The Ultra-HD TV is fitted with four HDMI
2.0a inputs to connect your HDR, Ultra-HD, and HD sources; such as Ultra
Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Satellite/Cable and Playstation. In
addition, any HDMI input can be used to connect a PC to this TV. The HDMI
inputs will accept 4K/30Hz, 1080p (60/24Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i
signals. HDMI inputs 2/3 also support 4K/60Hz. HDR is only supported on the
TV HDMI 2 & 3 inputs.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the TV's HDMI inputs. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All four HDMI inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video (30/60fps). 4:2:2 (30/60fps) and 4:2:0 (60fps) are also supported by all HDMI inputs. With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Analog Video: The TV is equipped with two analog video inputs. There is a component video input that will accept 1080p (60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals; the component video input can also be used as a 480i composite video input. There is also a 3.5mm AV input which will accept 480i video (requires a minijack-to-composite video AV adapter; sold separately).
Note: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners with an RF-coaxial input, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
Picture Adjustments: The TV offers a variety of screen, picture, and video adjustments to maximize image quality.
- Screen Modes: The Screen Modes feature allows you to select the screen display which fits the current video image and TV screen best. Choose from Wide Zoom, Normal, Full, Zoom, or Auto Wide. Based on the original signal source, you may see black bars around the picture or just on the both sides of the screen. Sometimes you will see the picture fill the full screen.
- Picture Modes: You can select one of the following picture modes - Standard, Vivid, Cinema (Pro/Home), Sports, Animation, and Custom.
- Advanced Video Settings: The Advanced Video Settings menu
offers further adjustment of the TV's video image.
- Brightness: You can increase or decrease the brightness of an image by adjusting the TV's Brightness, Contrast, Gamma (adjusts light/dark balance), Black Level, and Black Adjust (enhances black areas).
- Color: You can tailor the color of an image by adjusting the TV's Color, Hue, Color Temperature (white balance), Color Space (sets color reproduction range), or Live Color (produces vivid colors).
- Clarity: You can improve the clarity of an image by adjusting the TV's Sharpness, Reality Creation (increases clarity), Resolution (increases detail), and Noise reduction (removes noise).
- CineMotion: This function provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film-based content, like Blu-ray & DVD.
Light Sensor & Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE): The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger. The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
Active 3D Technology (2 glasses included): The Sony Ultra-HD TV lets you enjoy 3D (three-dimensional) pictures and graphics from 3D-compatible 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video sources (not compatible with 4K). You can enjoy an immersive, realistic movie and gaming experience using the included active 3D glasses. Enjoy 3D content from the TV's built-in network apps, or your HDMI connected Blu-ray player, satellite receiver, or gaming console. When using the active shutter glasses, the on-screen image is precisely synchronized and delivered with the full high-definition image intact, for an optimum 3D viewing experience. Sony's 3D technology displays high speed synchronized left- and right-eye images to deliver an amazing 3D experience. And since each frame you see is shown in high-definition, the 3D action still offers razor-sharp detail.
PIP (Picture-in-Picture): Through an over-the-network firmware update, the TV will support PIP (Picture-in-Picture). This feature lets you watch the TV's over-the-air tuner in a small window on-screen, while viewing an Android TV app (like Netflix or Amazon).
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel within the television's HDMI 4 input enables the TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input.
- The audio from the TV's tuner, HDMI inputs, USB ports, and Android TV apps can pass as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, DTS, or 2ch PCM.
- Analog connected & DLNA compliant devices will be output audio at 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an AV receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI 4 input. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Audio Outputs: The Sony Ultra-HD TV offers analog and digital audio outputs.
- Digital Audio (Dolby Digital/DTS): The optical digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital/DTS (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital/DTS when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner, network apps, HDMI inputs, and USB ports on the LED-LCD TV. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via RCA.
- Headphone/Analog Output: The TV's 3.5mm analog output can be used to connect a set of headphones or as an audio output to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs. You can set the TV's analog output to Fixed or Variable. You can set the TV to automatically mute the built-in speakers when a set of headphones are connected.
Audio Technologies: The Sony TV offers advanced audio technologies to improve sound.
- S-Force Front Surround: S-Force Front Surround mimics the way the brain correlates sound sources to create proper volume, time lag, and sound wave spectrum; using only left and right speaker channels. By naturally emulating three-dimensional sound fields, you'll enjoy rich, high-fidelity audio across a wider listening area.
- ClearAudio+: ClearAudio+ fine-tunes TV sound for an immersive experience that seems to surround you. Hear music, dialog, and surround effects with greater clarity and separation, whatever you're watching.
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE): Low-resolution Internet video and other heavily compressed audio files don't always sound so great. A large amount of information gets thrown away when digital audio is compressed. With Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE) technology, lost frequency components (especially high frequencies) are restored for natural sound with a more spacious feel.
- Clear Phase: Sony uses a powerful computer model to analyze and compensate for inaccuracies in speaker response. It does this by "sampling" the speaker frequency with higher precision. This information is fed back to cancel out any peaks or dips in the speaker's natural response; resulting in pure, natural audio with smooth, even reproduction of all frequencies.
- Voice Zoom & Night Mode: The Voice Zoom feature makes voices clearer by lowering background sound. Night mode provides a clear sound at a low volume levels.
- Volume Offset & Auto Volume: Volume Offset adjusts the volume level of the current input relative to other inputs. The Advanced Auto Volume function keeps the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
Equalizer: The TV offers four EQ preset sound modes - Standard, Cinema, Music, and Live Football. The TV is also equipped with a 7-band EQ (125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz). You can adjust the level of each band between -12 to +12 dB.
TV Position: The speakers of this TV provide different sound images according to how you position the television. You can select between "Table-Top Stand" or "Wall Mount" to provide the best sound quality based on the television's placement.
Optional Wireless Sub: You can use Sony's optional wireless subwoofer (SWF-BR100, sold separately) to extend the bass response of the TV's sound. Simply connect the wireless transceiver supplied with the SWF-BR100 wireless subwoofer to the TV's analog audio output and USB port.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony Ultra-HD TV supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection you gain access to Android TV and Google Play, as well as content stored on your network computer. You also get the ability to stream content from your Android or Apple iOS mobile device to the TV.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony LED-LCD TV is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer. A back cover has to be removed to access the Ethernet port.
- WiFi (wireless LAN): The Sony TV offers built-in WiFi (802.11ac; 2.4/5GHz) that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The TV's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the television with easy and quick setup. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n or better recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security; a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router is recommended for 4K streaming.
Note: Sony recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended for standard definition, 10 Mbps for high definition, and 20 Mbps for ultra-high definition.
Android TV w/ Google Play: The Sony Ultra-HD TV is equipped with Android's Lollipop (5.0.2) operating system and incorporates Android TV with access to a wide variety of apps from Google Play which have been optimized for playback on the big screen. Android TV gives you access to movie, music, sports, and other entertainment apps (subscription, rental, or purchase fees may apply). Click here to discover the full collection of Android TV Apps from Google Play. Not all Google Play apps will be Android TV compatible. More applications and streaming services will be available in the future. Popular apps include -
- TV Shows & Movies: Watch movies and TV shows from Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, Vudu, Google Play Movies/TV, HBO Go/HBO Now, Starz Play, PlayStation Video, & Crackle.
- Music & Radio: Listen to online music and internet radio from Pandora, iHeart Radio, & Google Play Music.
- Sports: Catch up on sports scores from MLB.TV
- Video Clips: Watch user downloaded video clips from DailyMotion & YouTube.
Note: Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice.
HEVC/VP9 Decoder for 4K HDR Network Streaming: The Sony 4K Ultra-HD TV supports the new HEVC/H.265 and VP9 codecs that are needed for a variety of current and forthcoming 4K & 4K HDR video services (like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Sony PlayStation Now Video, and other providers). 4K & 4K HDR network streaming requires a network speed of 20Mbps or greater. A wired Ethernet connection is recommended over a wireless WiFi connection for better performance. If you desire a WiFi connection, then use a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router (or better) for 4K streaming. Make sure the Sony television has the latest software/firmware updates installed.
Note: In order to watch HDR video from Internet video services, the TV will require a firmware update via the Internet
Mobile Device Streaming: The Sony Ultra-HD TV allows you to wirelessly stream content from a compatible mobile device using Google Cast for playback on the big screen. You can also "mirror" your compatible mobile device using Miracast.
- Google Cast: Google Cast is like having Chromecast built into the television. Google Cast lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android (OS 2.3+) smartphone tablet, Apple iOS (7.0+) device, Mac computer or Windows PC, or Chromebook to the Sony Ultra-HD TV. Now you can cast your favorites movies or TV shows from HBO GO, your downloaded music playlists, Sports highlights from ESPN, and your saved photos from your compatible Google Cast device to the Sony ultra-HD TV. For compatible Google Cast apps click here.
- Miracast: Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Windows 8.1+ or Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) to the Sony TV. This allows you to view practically any content that is playing on your compatible Windows or Android device on your TV screen; no wireless router or access point required.
Google Play Games w/ Gamepad: Download select video games from Google Play and play them on the big screen without the need for any game console. You can connect up to four wireless gamepads (sold separately) for multi-player gaming. Google Play Games even syncs your progress and achievements across your devices, so you can start playing on your Android smartphone or tablet and then move to the Sony TV when you get home.
Photo Sharing Plus: With Photo Sharing Plus, friends and family can share their memories together on the big screen from their Android (2.3+) or Apple iOS (6+) devices. Up to 10 mobile devices can be connected to the TV at once for a fun interactive experience. User can even save their favorite pics between devices.
Media Streaming: The Sony LED-LCD TV allows you to stream a variety of audio, video, and photo content from USB (MSC) , WiFi, and DLNA devices. Compatible media formats include MP3/WMA/WAV music files, MPEG/MP4/AVCHD/AVI/MKV/MOV video files, JPEG photo files.
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Sony TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
- DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo , music, and video files stored on your Windows 7/8/10 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server/Android device) on the Sony HDTV. The TV can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or WiFi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
- Triple USB Ports: The Sony LED-LCD TV features three USB type-A ports (two 2.0/one 3.0) for sharing your photos or videos, and listening to music from your connected digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or other USB storage device. Even 4K photos & videos that you've downloaded to your USB-enabled device can be played back on the TV in Ultra-HD 4K. Your USB-connected device must USB mass storage class compliant and be formatted in FAT 16/32 or NTFS. The USB ports will also charge your connected devices (max: 5V, 500A/900A).
Automatic Software Updates: Automatic software updates are done through the TV's Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi. The TV's software updates when the television is in standby mode. Visit the Sony eSupport site for the latest software updates.
Content Search: The TV offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's tuner and Android TV apps.
- Program Guide: You can quickly find your preferred programs and the detailed program information. The current program information and weekly program guides for the next eight days are provided.
- Discover Button & Content Bar: You can use the remote's Discover button to search for content across platforms (TV Antenna, Android TV, Apps, etc.). Content is then displayed along the unobtrusive "Content Bar" at the bottom of the TV screen which quickly lets you find the movie, TV show, or video you're looking for. Call up the Content Bar and you can keep watching, while you scan through live TV, on demand, downloaded TV shows, and much more. You can even customize the Content Bar to show you the content you go to most often first.
- Android TV Recommendations: Personalized content recommendations from Google Play, YouTube and your apps appear automatically in the TV's home screen. So if you are having trouble figuring out what to watch, let Sony's Android TV recommend something for you and the family to watch.
- Voice Search: Simply activate the Voice Search function through the included remote control or Android TV App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone/tablet. If you know what you want to watch, just say it into the device's microphone and the Sony television will find it within its Android TV and Google Play applications. If you press the Voice Search button on your remote while you're in a particular app, you'll only search within that app.
- Keyword Search: You can type in a keyword to search for TV shows, movies, and music. Simply enter in the track title, album name, or movie title.
Action Menu: By pressing the "Action Menu" button on the remote, a menu appears and provides quick access to the functions that are available for the currently displayed screen, such as picture adjustment, sound adjustment, volume adjustment for the connected device (such as headphones), and display/audio change. The items in the menu differ depending on the selected screen.
Netflix Recommended: This Sony Ultra-HD TV is a Netflix Recommended TV. This is due to the fact that is offers a unique feature set which makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy. The Sony TV has an Instant On feature so the TV wakes and apps are ready to use right away. In addition, the TV turns on and launches Netflix with one press of the Netflix button on the included IR remote. Online apps, including Netflix, can resume quickly and return where you left off. Its Android TV interface enables easy navigation and switching between apps and inputs.
DIRECTV 4K Ready: This Sony television is RVU-compatible which means DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can watch live broadcast (up to 4K) and stored content (up to 4K) from their DVR on the Sony TV, without the need for additional Genie Mini Client devices or set-top boxes. However, you will need a DECA unit (sold separately) that converts Coax to Ethernet, which will plug into the Sony TV's LAN port.
Note: Whether you are a new or existing DIRECTV customer, you will need to contact DIRECTV to complete the RVU setup.
Daydream Display: You can set up a screensaver (Daydream) for the Sony Android TV that displays photos and colorful designs. Daydream uses a collection of scenic photos; you cannot customize the photos that appear. You can choose how long (5/10/15/30/60 min.) it takes for the Daydream screensaver to start when you are not using the TV.
Power Management Functions: This Sony LED-LCD TV incorporates advanced power saving features such as Light Sensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
Timers: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers a TV timer and Sleep timer. The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference. The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can also block specific channels. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password. You can also block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
Help Guide: The Sony TV comes with a Quick Setup Guide booklet. The TV also features an on-screen Help Guide for more detailed information.
Remote w/ Built-in Mic (IR blaster included): The remote offers soft push-button control and features a built-in mic for voice recognition. The built-in microphone provides voice control of select Android TV functions. The remote even has a dedicated Google Play Netflix buttons, so you can access your Netflix movies and TV shows quicker. The IR Blaster allows you to operate a set-top box or AV Receiver that is connected to the TV, with the TV's remote control.
Note: The remote's microphone and voice control function operate via Bluetooth, while all other remote functions are done through IR.
Remote Apps: The Sony Ultra-HD TV offers remote control capability through your Android or Apple iOS device via the Android TV Remote App (for Android only) or Sony's Video & TV SideView Remote App (for Android & Apple iOS).
- Android TV Remote: The Android TV Remote App from Google Play lets you use your Android (OS 4.0+) smartphone or tablet as a remote to control the Sony television's Android TV functions. Easily navigate content and play games on your compatible Android TV device. The remote app offers voice search and an on-screen keyboard, giving you full control of Android TV from your smartphone or tablet. Simply tap the on-screen mic button to start a voice search, or use the keyboard to input text on Android TV. If you know what you want to watch, just say it into your smartphone or tablet's microphone and the Sony television will find it within its Android TV and Google Play applications.
- Video & TV SideView Remote: With the free Sony Video & TV SideView App, you can control the Sony TV and browse its content from your Apple iOS device (7.0+) or Android smartphone/tablet (4.03+). Simply download the this app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store onto your compatible device. The Video & TV SideView App will allow your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to act as a remote control and software keyboard for the Sony LED-LCD TV. You'll be able to search what's available to watch on broadcast stations and video on-demand apps. You can even pull up the TV's channel guide on your smartphone or tablet without interfering with the what you're watching on the TV. You also get to learn more about the show you're watching right now, like cast and episode details. In addition, you can tweet about what you're watching from your mobile device or see what fellow fans are tweeting about in real time. You'll also be able to stream your videos, pictures, and music stored on your Apple iOS/Android device to the TV.
Digital Voice Assistant Control (Firmware Updates Required): The Sony UHD TV will support voice control of select functions through the Google Assistant & Amazon Alexa (requires a firmware update).
- Google Assistant: Through an over-the-network firmware update, the TV will support the Google Assistant through its Android operating system and the included IR remote's built-in microphone. Simply trigger the Google Assistant by pressing the mic button on the remote and then speak into the microphone after hearing an audible prompt. You can ask the Google Assistant to turn volume up/down, change channels and inputs, search content on select built-in Android TV apps, and control basic playback functions. In addition to TV voice commands, you can use the Google Assistant to control connected smart home devices and other Google Home enabled devices. The Google Assistant can also be used to find answers for many of your daily questions through Google's advanced search engine. The TV also supports voice control through the Google Home Wireless Speaker (8064658762, sold separately) and other Google Assistant enabled devices (sold separately).
- Amazon Alexa: Through an over-the-network firmware update, Alexa-enabled devices (including the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap and Echo Show) will be able to control key functions of the Sony TV. With this new feature you can simply use your voice to turn the Sony TV on or off, change channels, change inputs, control volume, and control playback functions of select streaming content. Click here for setup instructions.
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a BD player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player: Automatically turns the BRAVIA Sync-compatible device on and switches the input to that device when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu. Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected device when the device starts to play
- AV Amplifier: Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on; this function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound. Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on. Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera: Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on. Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Controls menu operation, playback, and channel selection of the connected video camera through the TV's remote
Notes: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
Keyboard/Mouse Compatible: You can connect a USB- or Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately) to the television for easier web browsing. You can move the cursor with the mouse and enter text with a compatible keyboard. Not all web-based apps support keyboard/mouse control.
Serial Port: You can connect the 3.5mm serial port to an external control device (such as a computer or A/V control system) to control the TV's functions externally.
Pedestal Base: The Sony TV comes with a pedestal stand. The TV is shipped with the pedestal stand unattached. The television weighs 99.4 lbs with the stand. This stand does not swivel. All of your cables can be neatly arranged across the back of the TV and channeled into the stand, so everything looks tidy.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The television can be wall mounted using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately). The TV has four threaded screw inserts and comes with four spacers that are spaced 400mm (h) x 300mm (v) apart. The threaded inserts and spacers will accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 91 lbs without the stand.Ventilation Clearance: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
Attached AC Power Cord: The television if fitted with an attached 5' AC power cord which is terminated by a straight two-prong AC plug. The AC plug sits 1.5" from the wall.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Video Team
Sony's Z9 series TVs are the brightest, most color-accurate TVs Sony has ever made, holding their own against reference monitors used by movie studios.
Why did you buy this?
After much research on the top rated LCD/LED and OLED televisions, I decided the Sony Z9D was the smartest choice. [ Josef Sep 05, 2018 ]
Bright screen [ HONGLEI Jul 05, 2018 ]
Recommendations from salesman [ MARC Aug 24, 2017 ]
Appears to have the best picture vs price. Did not want to drop 20k on a 75 inch tv. [ S Mar 29, 2017 ]
I was torn between this and the 65" A1E. I decided to go with the bigger screen size over the true blacks of OLED. The reviews for the Z9D's put the pictures pretty close to OLED quality. I have always loved Sony TVs. I am upgrading from an older 1080 Bravia. [ Kenneth Mar 28, 2017 ]
I enjoy watching movies....Blu Ray, Blu Ray 3D, and now 4k, hoping this will last me 4-5 years to when I'll probably update again. I'm currently upgrading from a VT 65" Panasonic plasma; the Z9D's picture quality is much better. [ WILLIAM B Oct 22, 2016 ]
6 questions already asked
HDR is only supported on the ports. I believe this is a hardware limitation, so I would not expect a firmware update to change this. Sony released a firmware update a couple months ago with support for DV for streaming and HDMI. However it is a new version in which most of the processing occurs on the source HDMI devices, requiring the source HDMI devices to be updated too. Apple has released the update. I think Oppo's update is being certified right now. [ Robin Apr 16, 2018 ]
The Sony XBR-75Z9D is fitted with four HDMI 2.0a inputs to connect your HDR, Ultra-HD, and HD sources. For more details or to discuss further, please contact an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat. Thanks! [ Larry Apr 01, 2018 ] Staff
NO! [ Denis Jun 13, 2017 ]
Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your question about the Sony SU-WL830 wall mount working with the XBR-75Z9D. That because after doing my due diligence on wall mounts for this set, I chose the Sanus Premium Series VLL5 wall mount. Very reasonably priced (under $100 if memory serves me), easy to install (excellent printed instructions plus a video you can scan for, even brings a stud finder)...and best of all, it worked/works like a champ. Sorry couldn't help on the Sony mount question; however, thought I'd share my experience in case you were still shopping around for a mount. [ SERGEI Jun 12, 2017 ]
I'm sorry, not quite understanding the question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your questions. [ Kenny May 05, 2017 ] Staff
Given that the Sony XBR-Z9D series uses a 10 bit panel (compared to 8 bit on old plasma TV's) along with Sony's flagship full-array direct-lit LED backlight with Master Drive Technology; I would expect much better color quality and picture contrast than your plasma TV can produce. If you have further questions or would like to discuss in more detail, please feel free to contact an expert Advisor directly by phone (888-955-6000) or online chat. Hope that helps! [ Larry May 08, 2017 ] Staff
There are several caveats to this question which make it harder to answer than a simple "yes" or "no". In order to get more detailed information, you would be better off contacting an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They can go over all the possible solutions for adding an external audio/speaker system to the Sony TV; and help you select the best system to suit your preferences and budget. [ Larry Jan 19, 2017 ] Staff