Boston Acoustics HSi 480
Item # 065HSI480 | MFR # HSI480-0XX00
Special purchase: -$100.00
$199.99 each Earn up to 200 Rewards points
Our take on the Boston Acoustics HSi 480 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Boston Acoustics aims their HSi series at folks who love great sound but don't want to give up any floor space. Movie dialogue comes through clearly and both acoustic and electric instruments have a natural tone. Boston Acoustics designs all their in-wall and in-ceiling speakers for simple do-it-yourself installation. The HSi 480 mounts flush in the ceiling and features a low-profile bezel with an installer-friendly, wide mounting flange to cover any imperfections in the cutout hole. The included magnetic grille can be painted to blend seamlessly into your home environment.
Flexible placement and better sound
Some rooms present a real challenge for in-ceiling speaker placement. The HSi 480 features a 1" swiveling soft-dome tweeter that lets you direct the sound for great results in almost any room you choose. And Boston's 8" Deep Channel® Design woofer dishes out powerful, room filling bass.
An NCBR8 in-ceiling bracket is recommended for installing this speaker in a new home under construction or in a room that's undergoing major renovation. (Brackets sold as a pair.)
- sold individually
- 1" pivoting Kortec soft-dome tweeter for flexible mounting
- 8" DCD (Deep Channel® Design) copolymer woofer for powerful bass response
- recommended power: 10-125 watts
- frequency response: 45-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- moisture resistant for bath and kitchen applications
- magnetic, paintable speaker grille
- frame diameter: 12-1/4"
- cutout dimensions: 10-7/8" diameter
- mounting depth: 5"
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-ceiling speaker
- Magnetic grille
- Cardboard template
- Plastic paint mask (speaker)
- Wax paper paint shield (grille)
- Instruction booklet
- Product registration card
- Disposal note
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Power Range (Watts)||10-125|
|Connector Type||Spring Posts|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Design: The Boston Horizon HSi 480 in-ceiling speaker employs a two-way driver design with a 1" Kortec dome tweeter and an 8" DCD copolymer woofer.
- Tweeter: The HSi 480 uses a pivoting 1" Kortec dome tweeter. Kortec is a silky fabric saturated on the underside with a proprietary stiffening agent. Because the inside surface of the dome is ultra stiff, the tweeter tracks the signal with ease and produces an excellent transient attack. Simultaneously, the soft, self-dampening top layer eliminates unwanted resonance, so the sound is smooth and articulate. The tweeter also pivots to allow installers to aim the tweeter toward the prime listening position making speaker placement less restrictive.
- Woofer: The Boston Acoustics HSi 480 uses an 8" DCD (Deep Channel Design) copolymer woofer. The DCD woofer uses a deeply grooved pole plate that enables the voice coil to travel farther for greater output without bottoming.
Spring Post Speaker Terminals: Spring loaded posts will accept pin-connectors, banana plugs (single/dual), or bare wire up to 12 gauge.
Slim Bezel Design w/ Magnetic Grille: Boston's unique slim bezel design provides interior designers and consumers the look that blends with a room's distinctive design. The slim bezel design also offers an installer-friendly wide mounting flange to cover any imperfections in the cutout hole and a magnetic grille for easy finish work.
Paintable: Both the frame and grille can be painted to match the ceiling. A plastic paint mask is included to protect the speaker from being painted as well.
Moisture Resistant: The HSi 480 is well suited for humid environments like the kitchen or bathroom. Make sure they are positioned so that moisture cannot collect inside them. They are not designed for locations where they will be submerged.
Placement: Because you can control the direction of the high frequencies with the pivoting tweeter, you can mount these in-ceiling speakers almost anywhere. For optimum results, place the speakers 8' to 12' apart so they form a triangle with the listening area.
Installation: After an 10.875" diameter cutout is made the speaker is installed into the opening and held into place with four integral plastic mounting ears. The required depth to install the speaker is 5" from the mounting surface (this includes the thickness of the drywall). Behind the opening there must be a 1" clearance around the speaker to accommodate the ears. The mounting wall material must be at least 1/4" thick for the mounting ears to work.
New Construction Bracket (optional): The NCBR8 new-construction bracket (065NCBR8, sold separately) can be used to simplify installation in new construction.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.