Polk Audio SWA500
Power amplifier for Polk CSW in-floor subwoofers
Our take on the Polk Audio SWA500 by Crutchfield's Barry Montgomery
This cool-running digital amplifier pumps out 250 watts of solid power to drive Polk's ingenious CSW100 or CSW200 in-floor subwoofers, or the or CSW155 in-wall sub. The SWA500 comes with custom sound-shaping circuit cards for each of the CSW subs. Plug the correct card into the amplifier to precisely tailor its output to your specific model. The resulting bass is deep, hard-hitting, and distortion-free.
The SWA500's standard chassis width lets you stack it neatly with your other audio/video components, or you can hide it away in a cabinet to reduce room clutter. This stable amplifier can also power a pair of either the CSW100s or CSW200s, for even bigger, stronger bass.
- 250 watts (mono) into 8 ohms, or 500 watts into 4 ohms
- frequency response 15-200 Hz (-3 dB)
- Class D digital amplifier design
- continuously variable 40-120 Hz low-pass crossover
- includes custom sound-shaping circuit cards for CSW100, CSW200 and CSW155 subwoofers
- speaker-level and line-level inputs and outputs
- unfiltered LFE (Low Frequency Effects) input for connection to a home theater receiver's subwoofer output
- detachable AC power cord
- 17"W x 4-1/16"H x 14-15/16"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- SWA500 Subwoofer amplifier
- CSW100 SPEX card
- CSW155 SPEX card
- CSW200 SPEX card
- 2 Rack mount brackets
- 4 Machine screws
- 7.75' AC power cord
- Online product registration sheet
Jim, Warrington, PA
Polk Audio SWA500 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Number of Channels||1|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||250|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||500|
|Bridged Power per Channel||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||1|
|Speaker Connectors||Binding posts|
Overview: The SWA500 amplifier is designed to be used with the following Polk in-floor/in-ceiling subwoofers: CSW100, CSW155 and CSW200. One SWA500 amplifier can power up to two subwoofers at the same time.
Note: The SWA500 cannot be used to power any other subwoofers.
Class D Amplifier: The SWA500 has a hybrid Class D amplifier that produces 250 watts RMS into 8 ohms and 500 watts RMS into 4 ohms.
SPEX Cards: The SWA500 comes with three SPEX Cards, one for the CSW100, one for the CSW155 and one for the CSW200. Each SPEX Card configures the EQ, crossover, and power control circuitry to match the appropriate subwoofer.
Variable Crossover: The amplifier has a built-in variable crossover that makes it easy to achieve a seamless blend with the main speakers, while the 24dB/octave low-pass filter prevents the subwoofer from being easily localized by the ear, increasing placement flexibility. The crossover point may be adjusted from 40-120 Hz.
Protection Circuitry: The SWA500 offers thermal, short circuit, and over-current protection.
Auto On/Off Sensing: In Auto mode, the amplifier automatically turns on when it senses a signal and turns off when a signal is not present.
Front Panel Controls:
- Low-pass Knob: allows you to adjust the low-pass crossover point from 40-120 Hz
- Volume Knob: allows you to adjust the volume level up or down until the bass level of your subwoofer matches the bass level of your speakers
Rear Panel Controls
- Phase Switch: switches the polarity of the two speaker outputs; the correct setting is that which yields the fullest bass
- Power Switch: allows you to choose one of the following power modes: Standby, Auto, or On
Rear Panel Connections:
- Speaker Out (1 and 2): gold-plated binding posts; the binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs. Both speaker outputs are wired in parallel and allow you to connect one or two subwoofers to the amplifier
- Speaker In: gold-plated binding posts; the binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs
- Line In (filtered): left and right RCA audio jacks; use this configuration if you wish to set the subwoofer crossover point using the SWA500's low-pass control knob on the front panel
- LFE In (unfiltered): single RCA audio jack; in this configuration, the SWA500's internal low-pass filter and front panel low-pass control knob will be bypassed
- Line Out: left and right RCA audio jacks
- SPEX Card: slot for the supplied SPEX Cards; a 7-pin connector plugs into the card and the card bolts into the back panel of the amplifier
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
The Polk quality name and I needed something to fit into my wall because I'm redoing a man cave and I didn't want nothing on the floor [ jim Jan 18, 2018 ]
to replace a similar item that burned out, out of warrany and also no longer made [ Jon Michael Dec 20, 2017 ]
3 questions already asked
The Polk Audio SWA500 amplifier is designed specifically to drive the Polk CSW100, CSW155 and CSW200 in-floor/ceiling subwoofers. It cannot be used to power any other subwoofer model(s). If you would like to explore other options that may work with your subs, feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. I hope that helps! [ Larry Nov 25, 2016 ] Staff
1 answer hi there i have a niles gss10 in ground 500w subwoofer. someone on ebay selling the niles swa-500m amp said for me not to purchase his amp for my sub cuz he said they're (the amp) are so easy to blow. he said id have much better luck with the polk audio swa500 amp. is tgis true? thanks [ Kendall May 29, 2016 ]
We don't carry the Niles SWA-500M amplifier here so I wouldn't be able to comment on that--the Polk Audio SWA500 would be a good match for your in-ground Niles GSS10 though. I hope that helps. My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=159 [ Larry Jun 03, 2016 ] Staff
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Feb 26, 2016 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
Polk Audio SWA500
Power amplifier for Polk CSW in-floor subwoofers
Digital stereo multi-source power amplifier
Stereo multi-source power amplifier
Stereo power amplifier