In-dash DVD/CD receiver with DVD navigation
Our take on the Eclipse AVN5500 by Crutchfield's Matt Freeman
If you've got a double-sized dash opening in your vehicle, you'll love filling it with Eclipse's AVN5500 DVD player. It plays your DVDs, CDs, and MP3s, and offers accurate satellite navigation you'll get wherever you're going with ease, and get entertained the entire way. It's easy to manage, too: the vibrant 6.5" video display features touchscreen controls.
The included DVD-ROM stores the maps the system uses just slide it into the DVD slot when you're ready for turn-by-turn, voice-guided navigation. Eclipse's easy-to-use menus let you enter your destinations quickly. You can choose an address, street name, or intersection, or select from millions of points of interest, including restaurants, hotels, and gas stations. You can customize your route preferences so you take only the kinds of roads you like to drive.
While you're navigating, you'll love City View mode. It's a 3-D map that shows you accurate representations of prominent buildings in many cities across the U.S. It's a great tool, allowing you to use specific buildings as landmarks. Plus, it looks fantastic.
The AVN5500 also has two disc slots one for your CDs, and one for your map DVD so you'll be able to listen to your standard and MP3 CDs while you navigate. Remove the map DVD from the slot, and you can enjoy DVD videos on the AVN5500's screen when you're parked.
The extensive sound controls ensure that all your music sounds just right. With the touchscreen controls, you can simply trace a desired equalizer curve with your finger, so you don't have to take the time to adjust each of the nine frequency points individually.
You can expand your system, too. Add an Eclipse SIRIUS satellite radio for coast-to-coast satellite programming. Connect Eclipse's HD Radio tuner, and you'll get improved AM/FM sound quality and other services where available. Three sets of 5-volt preamp outputs send a super-clean signal to any external amplifiers you connect to drive your speakers and subs.
You'll get a clear view of what's behind you when you add an Eclipse rear-view camera you can even set up the AVN5500's screen to show the rear view automatically when you put your vehicle in reverse.
Note: Your dash must have a 4" opening for the AVN5500 to fit; the 3" openings found in some vehicles, especially GM and Chrysler, will not accommodate it. Please enter your vehicle information or call a Sales Advisor at 1-888-955-6000 to find out if this
- DVD/CD player with navigation and built-in amplifier (15 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels, CEA-2006 compliant)
- fits double-sized (4" tall) dash openings
- motorized 6.5" LCD video screen with adjustable display angle and touchscreen controls
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, DVDs, DVD-R/RWs, and MP3 discs
- GPS navigation (includes GPS antenna and map DVD-ROM)
- City View mode 3-D maps that render accurate representations of specific buildings in many cities
- 6 million points of interest (hotels, restaurants, gas stations, etc.)
- customizable route preferences
- separate CD and DVD slots
- five soundfields: cathedral, club, concert, live, theater
- 9-band parametric EQ
- 5 preset EQ curves
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio-ready (you can add SIRIUS for under $100, plus subscription)
- compatible with Eclipse HD Radio tuner
- CD changer controls
- audio/video input
- rear-view camera input
- audio/video output
- 5-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
- AM/FM tuner
- 6 FM/6 AM presets
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Double-DIN DVD receiver with 6.5" LCD screen
- 8 Flat-head ISO-DIN mounting screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 8 Hex-head/Phillips-head ISO-DIN mounting bolts (M5 x 8mm)
- Plastic trim panel
- Power/Front speaker wiring harness
- Preamp output/Sensor input wiring harness (installed)
- Rear speaker wiring harness
- Video input/steering wheel control wiring harness
- GPS antenna with attached 19.5' cable
- Waterproof rubber cushion for GPS antenna cable
- Ground plate (2-1/2" x 2-1/2") for in-cab mounting of GPS antenna
- Body protective sheet for external mounting of GPS antenna
- 3 Wire splicing clamps
- Four 8" wire ties
- Map for Eclipse Navigation System on DVD-ROM (Ver.1.3)
- Owner's Manual (English/French/Spanish)
- Installation Manual (English/French/Spanish)
- Warranty card
Great radio, I have received alot of compliments, it fits excellent in my 07 Tacoma. However, buyer beware that this radio will ONLY support the Eclipse camera. I originally went with an audiovox camera, and it didn't work. Other than that I love this radio.
G, HOUSTON, TX
Eclipse AVN5500 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||---|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||15 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||1kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||---|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Green (headlights on)|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||---|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||12 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
6.5" Widescreen TFT Display: The Eclipse AVN5500 is equipped with a 6.5" Widescreen TFT low-glare display with touch control. The LCD panel has 280,800 pixels (400 x 234 x 3) and an anti-glare coating. The motorized screen slides down and out to allow you access to the disc slots. You can also set the display panel to one of 6 angles between 0° and 30° for best viewing.
Dual Disc Slots: Behind the motorized LCD panel, the AVN5500 has two disc slots: one for CDs and MP3 discs, and another for DVDs and the supplied Eclipse Navigation disc. You can independently load and eject discs from each slot, allowing you to listen to a CD or MP3 disc while using the DVD navigation function.
Digital Signal Processor: The unit's DSP offers three sound adjustments for total audio control:
- Soundfield Control: The DSP's Soundfield Control features 5 distinctive acoustic environments to match your listening tastes: Concert, Live, Cathedral, Club, and Theater.
- 9-Band EQ: Using the touchscreen controls, you can adjust the following EQ bands +/-10dB in 2dB steps: 63Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz, and 12kHz. In addition, the unit's EQ has five memory presets for different music genres: Pops, Rock, Jazz, Classic, and Vocal. You can also set the EQ to "Flat".
- Listening Position: The digitally time-aligned listening position settings approximates the ideal position of being equidistant from the speakers. You can select one of four listening positions: front left, front right, all front, or all rear. You can also set the balance and fade volume controls using the touch controls.
5-Volt, Low-Impedance Preamp Outputs: To assure a clean, strong signal to connected amplifiers, the AVN5500 has 3 pairs of 5-volt preamp outputs with an impedance of 55Ω. High-voltage, low-impedance outputs give you a very high signal-to-noise ratio and a wide dynamic range.
A/V Inputs/Outputs: The AVN5500 is equipped with one audio/video input with composite video and stereo RCA audio jacks for connecting a VCR or game console. Video from the A/V input can only be viewed when the vehicle is stopped and the parking brake engaged. The unit also has a composite video output for connecting an external monitor; video is available from this output only when the vehicle is parked.
ESN Security: This unit is equipped with the Eclipse Security Network. You can register a particular music CD as a "key" device which unlocks the security. If the registered CD is not detected, the navigation and audio functions will be disabled when the main unit is disconnected from and reconnected to the vehicle's battery. You can turn the security on or off, or change the "key" CD as desired.
Rear View Camera Ready: The AVN5500 has a dedicated rear port for plugging in the optional BEC105 (item #099BEC105) Rear View Camera. The BEC105 is designed to assist you with rear parking or eliminate the dangerous blind spot immediately behind your vehicle. In the setup menu, you can select Auto or Manual operation of the rear view camera. When Auto is selected, and the reverse gear detection wire is properly connected, the image from the rear camera will appear on the LCD panel whenever you put the vehicle in reverse gear. When Manual is selected, you can view the rear view camera image by simply switching to the Rear View Camera source.
Optional Remote Control: The AVN5500 can be controlled by the optional RMC105 wireless remote control (item # 099RMC105).
Sirius Satellite Ready: With the optional Eclipse SIR-ECL1 Sirius Satellite Radio tuner (item # 099SIRECL1), you can receive Sirius Satellite Radio programming on the AVN5500. Sirius Satellite Radio offers more than 120 channels of original programming, including 65 commercial-free, digital-quality music channels, plus news, talk, sports, entertainment, and children's programming. Sirius programming is available only in the 48 contiguous states. A subscription to Sirius Satellite Radio is required in order to receive Sirius programming.
HD Radio Ready: The AVN5500 is compatible with the optional HDR105 HD Radio Tuner (item #099HDR105). When the HDR105 is connected, you can enjoy the digital sound quality of your favorite radio stations that are now broadcasting in HD. Digital broadcasts from FM stations sound as good as CDs, and AM stations sound as good as today's analog FM stations. The tuner has an E-LAN pass-through connection, allowing you to daisy chain an Eclipse CD changer.
TV Tuner Ready: You can tune local, over-the-air TV stations on the AVN5500 when the unit is connected to the optional Eclipse TVR105 TV tuner unit.
CD Changer Ready: You can connect up to two Eclipse 8-disc CD changers to the AVN5500 thorough the E-LAN bus connector. The CH3083 CD changer (item #099CH3083) has a pass-through connection to allow you to daisy chain another CH3083 changer. You can independently select either changer from the head unit. The AVN5500 has the following CD Changer controls: Direct Track Select, Direct Disc Select, Repeat Track, Repeat Disc, Track Random, Disc Random, Track Intro Scan, Disc Intro Scan, Disc Skip, Track Skip, Fast Forward, and Fast Reverse.
Safety Video Lockout: For safety reasons, DVD video cannot be viewed on the built-in screen unless the vehicle is stopped and the parking brake is engaged. Also, video is only available from the rear monitor output when the parking brake is engaged.
DVD Compatibility: The AVN5500 is compatible with DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD-ROM discs. DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW playback is possible only when the discs are recorded in the Video mode. Discs recorded in the VR (Video Recording) mode, and discs not finalized will not play in this unit.
Operation Screen: When you want to search for a specific chapter or scene, you can touch the screen to display the Operation Screen. The top of the Operation Screen indicates the title and chapter number, the title elapsed time, the current playback mode, and icons for multiple angles, Dolby Digital, etc. The bottom of the screen provides you with function keys for fast forward/reverse, play/pause, stop, search, menu, and subtitles.
Rear Monitor Output: The AVN5500 has an A/V output (composite video, stereo audio) to allow you to connect a rear video monitor. Video is not avaiable from this output while the vehicle is moving; your vehicle must be parked to view video from this output.
DVD-ROM Navigation: The AVN5500 features built-in DVD Navigation, and includes one DVD-ROM disc from GDT (Geographic Data Technologies) and NAVTEQ, containing the map database of the United States and Canada (except for Hawaii and Alaska). The navigation system uses maps and vocal instructions to guide you as you are driving. You can use the unit's touch controls to make menu selections and to move the map around the screen. Note: The included map data was compiled December 2004.
GPS: The unit uses the Global Positioning System (GPS) to pinpoint your present location by using latitudinal and longitudinal data received from three or more satellites. A GPS antenna is included with the unit, and should be mounted in a position (inside or outside) with a clear view of the sky.
Search Methods: The navigation system gives you several methods for searching for a destination:
- Address: By simply inputting the street name and street number, you can display a map showing the destination.
- Points of Interest (POI): The map database contains some 5.99 million points of interest (parks, schools, hospitals, restaurants, banks, etc.) which can be entered as a destination. You can also display the icons of specific types of POIs on the maps as you travel to show you the nearest gas station, restaurant, ATM, grocery store, or hotel.
- Freeway Exit/Entrance: A search can be initiated using the name of a freeway or an exit or entrance.
- City Search: The unit can route you to a city's central area. Up to 5 favorite cities can be conveniently grouped together.
- Coordinates: A map can be displayed by directly entering the latitude and longitude coordinates.
- Emergency Search: In the event of an emergency, a search can be initiated for the nearest police station or hospital to your present position.
- Destination Archives: A map can be retrieved using entries previously set in the destination archive.
- Registered Points: A map can be retrieved using your home or one of five points registered in the memory as Quick Access Points.
Route Calculation: Once a destination is selected, the AVN5500 will instantly offer three recommended routes to choose from: Quick 1, Quick 2, and Short. Up to 2 roads can be assigned as "must travel sections" so the unit will always include them in the route. Up to 10 areas to avoid because of chronic traffic congestion or other reasons can be input, so the unit will automatically work out the best detours. You can also insert up to 5 locations as stopping points along the route to a destination, and the unit will include those point when calculating the route.
Rerouting: If you accidentally or on purpose leave the recommended route, a new alternate route will instantly be recalculated and displayed. Typical rerouting takes only about 5 seconds.
Screen Adjustments: The unit automatically switches between the day screen (for use during daylight) and the night screen (for use at night) depending upon whether the vehicle's lights are on or off. You can choose from five display colors for both the daytime and nighttime screens, plus you can adjust the brightness and contrast of the on-screen display at any time.
Zooming: You can change the on-screen map scale to give you more or less detail. Using the touch controls, you can zoom in to a street map scale of 75 or 150 feet, or zoom out to a map scale of 250 miles. Using the split screen function, you can combine maps of different scales on the screen at the same time.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.