8-channel powered mixer with effects and Bluetooth input — 280W RMS x 2 at 8 ohms
Our take on the Peavey XR®-S by Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
Rugged, powerful, and reliable
Peavey's XR-S powered mixer is a great solution for those needing a portable PA system for school or business events, or for a small band playing in small clubs or houses of worship. The built-in amplifiers can supply a couple of PA speakers with 280 watts RMS each. You can set both amps to run a 2-speaker PA system, or assign one amp to the front-of-house mix and the other to the monitor mix. Daisy-chain a couple more speakers to the first pair and the XR-S almost doubles in output power to 500 watts per channel, so you can really make some noise.
Control and mix 8 sources
All 8 input channels can take balanced microphone or line-level signals. Stereo analog inputs let you plug in and play prerecorded music. A USB port and controller lets you play digital files directly from a thumb drive. Or, more conveniently, you can stream music wirelessly from your portable device via Bluetooth pairing.
Sound processing features
A 3-band EQ lets you set the tone for each input channel. Special Mid-Morph EQ on seven of the channels clarifies the sound by cutting out low midrange muddiness when you turn it down or adding upper midrange intelligibility when you turn it up. The 9-band graphic equalizers on the outputs give you fine-tuning control over the tone of the front speakers and possible feedback in the monitors. A nifty Feedback Locating System® lights up the EQ fader of any frequency feeding back so you know which one to bring down.
This live sound mixer includes audio effects, like reverb and delay, that'll give your performance a professional sound. Peavey's exclusive KOSMOS® control enhances the bass response and high-end clarity of your mix.
8-Channel Powered Mixer:
- channels 1-6:
- mono mic and line inputs (combo XLR-1/4" TRS)
- switchable -25 dB pad
- channel 7:
- mono mic and line input (combo XLR-1/4" TRS)
- stereo media inputs (RCA and 3.5mm TRS headphone jack)
- channel 8:
- mono mic and line input (combo XLR-1/4" TRS)
- USB input
- Bluetooth input
- 3-band EQ on all channels
- high shelf 12,000 Hz; low shelf 80 Hz
- Mid-Morph EQ cuts at 250 Hz or boosts at 4,000 Hz (on ch 1-7)
- mid EQ on ch 8 boost/cut at 450 Hz
- switchable 48-volt phantom power on all mic channels
Outputs and Effects:
- 2 power amplifiers (Amp 2 can be assigned to Main or Monitor mix)
- output power: 280 watts RMS x 2 at 8 ohms (500 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms)
- Main and Monitor outputs (2 pair combo Speakon-1/4" TS)
- preamp-level Main and Monitor outputs (1/4" TRS)
- preamp-level Record outputs (2 RCA)
- preamp-level Subwoofer output (low-pass at 150 Hz)
- built-in effects processor with 31 adjustable presets
- 9-band graphic EQ on Main and Monitor outputs
- FLS® (Feedback Locating System) lights up EQ fader nearest any frequency feeding back
- adjustable KOSMOS® bass enhancement on Main output
- Main and Monitor level LED arrays
- effects defeat and mic mute buttons
- foot switch jack for muting effects and mics
- dimensions; 15-3/8"W x 7-3/4"H x 9-1/2"D
- weight: 13 pounds
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 8-Channel powered mixer
- 70" AC power cord (IEC 3-prong)
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Safety and Warnings sheet
- Peavey decal
Peavey XR®-S Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Watts per channel 8 ohms||280|
|Watts per channel 6 ohms||---|
|Watts per channel 4 ohms||500|
|Monitor outputs||2 (Speakon) 1 (1/4)|
Overview: The Peavey XR-s is an 8-channel powered mixer with a power output of 280 watts RMS per channel into 8Ω, 500 watts RMS per channel into 4Ω, and 750 watts peak per channel. The integrated handle on the back of the front panel makes the XR-s easy to carry. It is recommended for small to medium-sized venues. An optional rack-mount kit allows you to mount the XR-s into a standard 19" rack case.
Inputs: The XR-s's inputs are located on the top panel for easy access. Each of the 8 input channels has a combination XLR and 1/4" jack. Channel 7 also has a stereo RCA and 3.5mm media input for a CD player or portable music player. An input select button lets you choose between the Mic-Line preamp and the RCA-3.5mm media inputs. Channel 8 has a USB media player and Bluetooth input, along with the mic-line input. You can activate the +48V Phantom power to all inputs with a single button. Channels 1 through 6 each have a switchable 25dB pad to reduce the input signal in case of distortion or clipping. The input channels have a Level, Monitor Send, Effects Send (Ch. 1-7), and Low, Mid-Morph (Ch. 1-7), and High EQ controls.
Outputs: The XR-s powered mixer has speaker outputs on the bottom rear panel with dual 1/4"-Speakon connectors. There are two Power Amp 1 (Main) connectors and two Power Amp 2 (Main/Monitor) connectors. With the Power Amp 2 Assign switch (on the top panel), you can assign the Power Amp 2 output to the Main mix or Monitor Mix. Each amplifier has a minimum load impedance of 4Ω, so you can connect one 4Ω, one 8Ω, or two 8Ω speakers to each amp output.
USB/Bluetooth Media Player: Channel 8 has a digital media player input that can be connected via USB (Type A) or Bluetooth. Simple playback controls are provided for the digital music files: play/pause, rewind/previous, and fast forward/next, plus Media Select to navigate through the folders and songs on the drive.
Kosmos-C: The XR-s is equipped with Kosmos-C, a Peavy-exclusive technology that dramatically enhances the low end of the audio spectrum and increases high-end clarity. Kosmos-C adds harmonically related bass signals that track the original signal. You can adjust the level of Kosmos-C through a rotary control.
Channel EQs: The XR-s has a 3-band EQ on each of the 8 input channels. Channels 1 through 7 have High EQ (+/- 15dB at 12 kHz), Low EQ (+/- 15dB at 80 Hz), and Mid-Morph EQ. When turned counterclockwise, the Mid-Morph EQ cuts at 250 Hz to reduce frequencies that muddy the sound. When turned clockwise, it boosts at 4 kHz to add intelligibility to vocals. On Channel 8, there is a band-pass type of Mid EQ (+/- 15dB at 450 Hz).
Graphic EQs: The mixer has dual 9-band graphic EQs to give you precise frequency correction of monitor and main outputs.The EQs have slide controls with a range of + or - 12dB for the following bands: 63Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz, and 12kHz. Beside the two GEQs are LED signal meters in green (-30, -24, -18, -12), amber (-6), and red (Limit) for both Main and Monitor busses.
Feedback Locating System: The Graphic EQ is equipped with a Feedback Locating System (FLS). When feedback occurs, the corresponding LED of the frequency closest to the frequency that is feeding back will illuminate over the slider to be adjusted. You should slowly bring the corresponding slider down until the feedback is gone. The LED will remain illuminated for a few seconds after the feedback is eliminated. If the feedback doesn't return, the GEQ begins acting as a normal EQ again, and all sliders will be illuminated.
Digital Effects Processor: The mixer is equipped with a 24-bit digital effects processor that gives you a choice of 31 digital effect presets. The effects can be applied to any channel, as well as the monitor and main outputs. The 2-line LCD display and EFX Select rotary control are used to select and adjust the effects. You can mute the effects via a front panel EFX Defeat button, or through an optional footswitch (see below). You can apply the effects to the Monitor output by activating the EFX to MON button. The available effects include the following:
- Plate (P1-P5): Bright, Gentle LP, Med LP, Hard LP, Dark
- Hall (H1-H5): Vox Fox, Vox Huge, Vox Glow, Strings, Brass Hall
- Room (R1-R5): Vox Air, Vox Club, Snare Low, AC GTR, Brass Room
- Delay (D1-D8): Double, Slapback, Bright (Few Repeats, More Repeats, Most Repeats), Dark (Few Repeats, More Repeats, Most Repeats)
- Enhance (E1-E3): Light Harmonics, Moderate Harmonics, Heavy Harmonics
- Chorus (C1-C5): High Depth/Slow Rate, Mod Depth/Wide Rate, Short Depth/Wide Rate, Short Depth/Fast Rate, High Depth/Mod Rate
Optional Footswitch: The XR-s has a 1/4" (TRS) jack for an optional dual-button footswitch (Peavey part # 03014070) that is designed to defeat the effects and activate the Mic Mute switch, depending upon how the plug is wired. If a single-button footswitch is used, only the Effects Defeat function will be affected, and you will have to activate the Mic Mute manually on the front panel.
- Frequency Response:
- Mic-to-Main: 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+0, -1dB)
- Line-to-Main: 20 Hz to 30 kHz (+0, -1dB)
- Mic-to-Amp: 50 Hz to 20 kHz (+0, -3dB)
- Line-to-Amp: 40 Hz to 20 kHz (+0, -1dB)
- Input Sensitivity:
- Mic In (to full power at the power amp): -40 dBu (full); -22 dBu (nominal)
- Line In (to full power at the power amp): -10 dBu (full); +8 dBu (nominal)
- Clip LEDs: Illuminate 3 dB before clipping
- Amplifier Power Output:
- At 8Ω (both channels driven): 280 watts RMS per channel
- At 4Ω (both channels driven): 500 watts RMS per channel
- Dimensions: Width 15.375", Height 7.75", Depth 9.5"
- Weight: 13 pounds
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.