SVS Ultra Surround
Bipole/dipole surround speakers (Piano Gloss Black)
Our take on the SVS Ultra Surround by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Shown in Piano Gloss Black, with and without grille.
SVS is serious about surround sound
Rigorous engineering and innovative design come together in the SVS Ultra Surround home theater speakers. Acoustically voiced to blend seamlessly with all models in SVS's Ultra and Prime series speaker lines, the Ultra Surrounds immerse you in the onscreen action by creating a huge soundstage and reproducing the smallest details with pinpoint clarity.
Whether it's the aggressive, multi-layered effects of an action movie, or the gentle hiss of rainfall, the Ultra Surrounds deliver a powerfully convincing audio experience.
Custom-designed drivers deliver detailed sound
While many companies build their speakers using off-the-shelf components, SVS designs all their drivers in-house. This is a huge advantage because it gives them complete control over how the drivers, crossover, and cabinet interact.
The Ultra Surround has dual 5-1/2" mid/woofers. The composite glass-fiber cone material is extremely lightweight and rigid, allowing the woofer to sound clear and natural through the midrange, while also delivering solid bass.
SVS's 1" aluminum dome tweeter — used throughout the Ultra series — sounds neutral and revealing, and is fitted with a special diffusor that improves dispersion, which helps surround effects sound more spacious..
Each Ultra Surround cabinet employs separate sealed enclosures for both mid/woofers and tweeters, to optimize performance and minimize interaction.
SVS's Duet Mode offers unique versatility
Designed with dual isolated SoundMatch two-way crossovers for each tweeter and woofer, each Ultra Surround can operate in either bipole, dipole, or SVS's Duet Mode, which creates two separate speakers in a single cabinet. In Duet mode, each woofer/tweeter pair in the Ultra Surround speaker receives a discrete signal, so your system can deliver true 7-channel surround sound using only 5 speakers. Pretty cool!
Build a complete Ultra system
Product Highlights (each):
- two sets of drivers — can be operated in either bipole or dipole mode to match a variety of rooms and systems
- separate sealed chambers for both mid-bass drivers and tweeters optimize performance and minimize interaction
- dual isolated crossover networks allow for bipole, dipole or SVS's unique Duet mode (Duet mode allows a single speaker to play both surround and back-surround signals)
- 2-way design
- dual 1" aluminum dome tweeters
- dual 5-1/2" composite glass-fiber mid/woofers
- acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet
- frequency response: 58-32,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended power: 20-250 watts
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- dual pairs of gold-plated binding posts allow SVS's Duet configuration
- dipole cable kit included for using speaker in dipole mode
- wall-mounting bracket included
- 12-7/16"W x 14-1/16"H x 6-15/16"D
- weight: 18 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 2 Surround loudspeakers
- 4 Grilles (pre-installed)
- 2 Speaker brackets
- 2 Wall brackets
- 4 Terminal jumpers (pre-installed)
- 4 Jumper speaker cables
- 8 Rubber Feet
- 8 Rubber bumpers
- 6 Machine screws
- Owner's Manual
- SVS brochure
- Online Product Registration Card
Features and Specs
|Bipole or Dipole||Both|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||5-1/2|
|Frequency Response||58-32k Hz|
|Height (inches)||14 1/16|
|Width (inches)||12 7/16|
|Depth (inches)||6 15/16|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Ultra Surround Speaker: Designed with dual isolated SoundMatch two-way crossovers for each tweeter and woofer, the SVS Ultra Surround loudspeaker can operate in either bipole, dipole, or in the unique SVS Duet Mode; which creates two separate speakers in a single cabinet. In Duet mode, each set of drivers in the Ultra Surround speaker receives a discrete signal, so your system can deliver true 7 channel surround sound using only 5 full-range speakers.
- Bipole Mode: In Bipole mode, the drivers of each side of the Ultra Surround speaker are in-phase with one another, resulting in a more directional surround experience. The speaker comes setup in Bipole surround mode directly out of the box; this is typically the most popular mode for a surround speaker.
- Dipole Mode: For a less directional, and more diffuse surround experience, the Ultra Surround has the ability to be wired in Dipole mode. In Dipole mode, the drivers of each side of the Ultra Surround are out of phase with one another (see owner's manual for speaker wire configuration).
- Duet Mode: Duet is a unique feature that allows a single Ultra Surround speaker to be used as two independent speakers (see owner's manual for speaker wire configuration). This means you can use just two Ultra Surround speakers and still have four discrete surround/rear channels for a 7.1ch home theater setup.
Dual 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeters: The Ultra Surround speaker's aluminum dome tweeters are pristinely neutral and revealing. Light, efficient, rigid and impervious to distortion even at high sound pressure levels, the tweeters play crystal clear at high volumes for an exceptional transient response with an "airy" transparent presentation. The FEA-optimized tweeter diffuser ensures broad dispersion for a wide and convincing soundstage and perfect on- and off-axis frequency response. This means the largest possible "Sweet Spot" for surround effects so everyone can be equally immersed with what's happening on-screen.
Dual 5.5" Mid-Woofers: Room-filling low frequency and midrange playback is handled by dual 5.5" mid-bass drivers that feature composite glass-fiber cones with excellent stiffness to mass ratio for enhanced sensitivity and voicing that's transparent and completely faithful to the source material - resulting in pinpoint accuracy with precise imaging and massive soundstage. The mid-bass drivers also utilize an aluminum shorting ring to reduce gap inductance and lower distortion, while a vented voice coil former minimizes air compression artifacts. In addition, the mid-bass drivers' cast aluminum basket ensures precision component alignment and additional heat-sinking capacity.
SoundMatch Crossover Design: The SVS Ultra Surround loudspeaker features a 2-way SoundMatch Crossovers with premium-grade capacitors, air-core inductors and heavy-trace printed circuit boards. Crossover frequency (2kHz) and slopes are optimized for excellent off-axis polar response, outstanding phase coherency, and total radiated sound power. The precise tuning of the SoundMatch Crossover also ensures balanced output throughout the frequency spectrum.
Performance Driven Cabinet Design: Every feature of the Ultra Surround speaker's cabinet was designed with a sonic purpose in mind. Non-parallel cabinet panels reduce axial standing waves within the cabinet, reducing frequency response coloration. In addition - wedge shaped front baffles with tapered edges, flush-mounted drivers, and acoustically transparent and FEA optimized grilles all contribute to reduced edge diffraction and improved on-axis high frequency response. Internally, the cabinet employs separate sealed chambers for both mid-bass drivers and tweeters to optimize performance and minimize interaction.
Dual Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The SVS Ultra Surround loudspeaker is outfitted with dual gold-plated, heavy-duty binding post terminals for connection of bare wire, pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana connectors (single only). Use 18AWG speaker wire for wire runs up to 10', 16AWG speaker wire for wire runs up to 25', 14AWG speaker wire for wire runs up to 50', and 12AWG speaker wire for wire runs up to 75'. Using the dual binding posts, you can bi-amp or bi-wire the speakers.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: See Owner's Manual for wiring diagram on Bipole, Dipole, or Duet speaker configuration. If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumper-straps between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Mounting & Placement Options: The Ultra Surround loudspeaker comes standard with a wall-mounting bracket or can easily be placed on a speaker stand (sold separately) for maximum placement flexibility. The speakers should be placed 2' to 3' above head level when seated. The included rubber feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker.
Note: Dedicated room treatments like absorbers, diffusers and bass traps (all sold separately) can greatly improve the sound quality of any listening environment, and are encouraged to extract the absolute best performance from any loudspeaker system.
Ultra Series: Whether playing a multi-layered soundtrack of a movie or a 2ch soundtrack of a music file, the SVS Ultra Series loudspeakers deliver a powerful and convincing audio experience. From the drivers to the crossover and cabinet, each component is painstakingly engineered and tested to achieve breathtaking realism. Countless design innovations and world-class build materials result in reference sound quality and stunning dynamics. The SVS Ultra Series consists of a floorstanding speaker (Ultra Tower), bookshelf speaker (Ultra Bookshelf), center speaker (Ultra Center), and surround speaker (Ultra Surround) - all sold separately.
Optional Powered Sub: A SVS powered sub (sold separately) makes a great addition to the Ultra series of loudspeakers.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.