About the Sony XAV-AX100
Value plus voice control
Value plus voice control
Sony's XAV-AX100 receiver works with your smartphone to give you convenient hands-free control and high-quality sound. It features both Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™, so you can control your favorite features with simple voice commands, as well as receive spoken directions as you drive. And it automatically detects the phone you're using, so you won't have to mess with the menus.
Large icons on the screen help you find what you want with just a glance.
Say hello to Siri
With built-in Bluetooth® connectivity, this smartphone-friendly receiver creates a wireless link between your mobile device and your car's audio system, allowing you to stream the music and podcasts you love. With a compatible iPhone® and a wired connection, you can use your voice to control Siri® Eyes Free through the receiver. You'll be able to control music, maps, calls, and messages just by talking to Siri. When Siri talks back, you'll hear the response through the car's speakers.
Awesome for Android Auto
Android users will love this Sony too. You can use voice commands to dictate messages, answer important calls, or use Google Maps to get directions. You can even control music playback with voice control.
Sweet Sony sound
A powerful amp brings depth and dynamics to your music collection. The rich, full sound will even make factory speakers sound better, so imagine the improvement you'll hear when you add aftermarket models to your car or truck. Sony's Extra Bass ensures that you'll hear the thump you expect from your favorite tunes.
You can adjust the 10-band equalizer to optimize the acoustics in your vehicle, or quickly access the preset tone curves to get the sound you want. You can even improve the soundstage by creating "virtual speakers" on your dashboard with the Dynamic Stage Organizer.
Distracted driving is a bad thing, so Sony designed this receiver to keep you in touch with your entertainment while you keep your eyes on the road. You use the conveniently located rotary dial to control the volume, or push the knob in to access the receiver's extensive sound control menus. You'll hold that same button to use voice commands for your smartphone.
Whatever you're doing, the big 6.4" color touchscreen looks great and gives you fast, fingertip control over your favorite onscreen functions. All in all, the look and feel of this receiver is really impressive.
Add a backup camera
Rear-view cameras are getting more popular all the time, and the XAV-AX100 comes with a dedicated rear camera input. Customizable guide lines on the screen will help you back up with confidence, even if you're piloting a large SUV.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
This digital multimedia receiver will not play CDs.
- digital multimedia receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- built-in amplifier (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels)
- 6.4" LCD touchscreen display
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming (external mic included)
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- compatible with Siri Eyes Free via Apple CarPlay
- works with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Pandora control with iPhone and Android
- high- and low-pass filters
- EQ5 10-band equalizer
- subwoofer controls
- 5-channel preamp outputs (front, rear, sub)
- inputs: rear USB input, rear-view camera input
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # XAVAX100
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver w/ 6.4" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- 53" USB extension cable
- Remote control (RM-X170)
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 12' cable terminated by a right-angle mono-3.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 4 ISO-screws
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty Sheet
Customer reviews for Sony XAV-AX100
Average review:4.5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony XAV-AX100
Features & specs
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Siri Control||CarPlay only|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||20 watts|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple, Google, Waze|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google, Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Screen Type||Basic (Resistive)|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,FLAC,WAV|
|High-res Playback||FLAC (96kHz)|
6.4" Touchscreen w/ Gesture Control: The Sony XAV-AX100 digital media receiver is equipped with a 6.4" touchscreen with full-color display and responsive touch-sensitive control. The 6.4" touchscreen monitor has a resolution of 800 RGB x 480 (1,152,000 pixels). With Gesture Control, you can perform frequently-used operations by simply swiping your finger on the touchscreen monitor to the left, right, up, or down (Gesture control is not supported by CarPlay or Android Auto).
- Wallpaper: You can choose between five color wallpapers (Purple, Blue, Green, Red, Black) for the background image of the unit's touchscreen monitor; or download a custom image from an inserted USB thumbdrive.
- Picture EQ: You can select a picture quality mode suitable for the interior brightness of your vehicle. You can choose from Dynamic, Standard, Theater, or Custom. This feature is only available when the parking brake is engaged and USB video is the selected source.
- Aspect Ratio: You can also change the screen's aspect ratio to suit your video content. You can choose from Normal, Zoom, Full, or Captions. This feature is only available when the parking brake is engaged and USB video is the selected source.
- Dimmer: To change the brightness of the display you can set the Sony receiver to one of two dimmer modes; Dimmer Auto (dims the display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on), or Dimmer On (display always dim). You can adjust the dimmer level from -5 to +5.
3-Way Rotary Dial: In addition to touchscreen control, the Sony head unit features a 3-way rotary dial and push-button control along the left side of the front-panel. The ergonomic rotary dial makes operation distraction-free. Turn it to control volume, or push the integrated button to launch sound control menus. Alternatively, hold the button to use voice commands.
Remote Control: The Sony XAV-AX100 comes with an IR wireless remote control and supports compatibility with steering wheel remote adapters (sold separately).
- IR Remote: The included IR remote (RM-X170) provides wireless control of the Sony receiver. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions (not Bluetooth Phone) of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
- SWC Input: This receiver is compatible with aftermarket steering wheel audio control adapters (sold separately) designed to retain your vehicles existing factory steering wheel controls (if equipped) once the factory radio is replaced with an aftermarket head unit. Its 3.5mm rear-panel mounted SWC input jack allows for simple connectivity (other hardwire connections may be required).
Android Auto: Thanks to Android Auto, you can connect your Android OS 5.0 (Lollipop) or later smartphone via a USB cable to the Sony receiver and operate many of the major functions of your Android phone through the Sony head unit's touchscreen. Get traffic information, lane guidance, and real-time navigation assistance from Google maps right from the Sony receiver. You can even send text messages, take calls, or check your voicemail through Android Auto and the Sony receiver. Android Auto also includes voice-recognition technology, so you can control everything just by speaking. Get directions, send messages, make calls, and control music while keeping your hands safely on the wheel.
- Google Assistant: The Sony receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Sony receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Sony receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and internet radio stations from Amazon Music Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, & Tune-In. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo.
- Android smartphones with a USB Type-C connector (including the Pixel) may not function without appropriate USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone. However, you can stream Bluetooth audio while using Android Auto's Google Maps.
- Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable other than the one attached to the rear chassis.
- Click here to learn more about Android Auto and to see what latest smartphones are compatible.
Apple CarPlay: Use all your essential iPhone functions on the road, with Apple CarPlay and your iPhone 5 or newer (running iOS 7.1 or higher). Connect your phone via an Apple-certified Lightning-to-USB cable, and you'll see a familiar interface displayed clearly on the Sony receiver's touchscreen. Simply tap the icons to take calls, check voicemails and text messages, or bring up maps. And of course, listen to your favorite songs using iTunes, Apple Music, or select music apps. Apple CarPlay even lets you talk to Siri to control everything using voice commands. You can dictate text messages, control music playback, or get directions, without ever taking your eyes off the road.
- Maps: The power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have there own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone & Messages: You'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Sony receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Sony receiver's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include (fees may apply):
- Apple CarPlay is compatible with iPhone 5 or newer running the latest iOS version.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone. However, you can stream Bluetooth audio while using Apple CarPlay Maps.
Smartphone Charging: The Sony receiver's USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPhone or Android smartphone device when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPhone or Android device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
USB Extension Note: The Sony XAV-AX100's USB port is attached to the rear-chassis via a 7" cable and comes with a 53" USB extension cable. Only use the included USB extension cable with an Apple certified Lightning-to-USB or Android-compliant USB cable when connecting your iPhone or Android device for CarPlay or AndroidAuto. Do not use any other USB extension cable and do not use 3rd party Lightning-to-USB or USB cables that are not Apple certified or Android compliant. Using other types of cables can result in CarPlay or Android Auto malfunction.
Bluetooth 2.1: The Sony XAV-AX100 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 2.1, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.1 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.5 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Simple Secure Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony XAV-AX100 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. This unit can only be paired and connected with one Bluetooth device at a time.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Sony XAV-AX100 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. Bluetooth hands-free communication helps to minimize distraction while driving by allowing you to control your mobile phone from the head unit, so you don't have to touch your mobile phone. The controls of the XAV-AX100 can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. And thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the XAV-AX100 provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls.
- Answering Calls: Incoming calls can be answered manually or automatically through the Sony head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name or phone number is displayed on the head unit's touchscreen. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired.
- Dialing a Number: Using the XAV-AX100, you can dial a
phone number in a variety of ways.
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing from the unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can transfer up to 1,000 contacts from your phone's phonebook and store them in the head unit for easy access using the unit's touchscreen monitor.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Redial: Use this feature to easily redial the last number you called.
- Phone Call Adjustments: During a conversation, you can adjust the ringtone volume, adjust the caller's voice volume level, adjust the microphone gain level, as well as switch between the Hands-Free Mode and the Hands-Held Mode (talking directly on your cell phone).
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Metadata Display): The Sony XAV-AX100 also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. You can stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the XAV-AX100. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
- Music Control: You'll be able to control basic playback functions; such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast-Forward/Reverse, and Shuffle/Repeat. You will continue to use your Bluetooth-enabled device to control advanced music browsing functions.
- Song/Artist Info: The head unit will also display your music's song/artist information; such as Artist name, Song title, and Album title (no album art).
USB MSC (Mass Storage Class) Playback: The Sony XAV-AX100 features a rear-panel USB (type-A) port that is attached to the rear chassis via a 7" cable and comes with a 53" USB extension cable. The head unit supports connection of a USB MSC (mass storage class) device, like a thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. You'll be able to playback a variety of audio, video, and photo files on your compatible USB MSC device through the Sony receiver, as well as control playback and view song/artist information with album art. USB MSC devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (max. 1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On. See chart below for compatible files -
|File System||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: sampling frequency of 32-48kHz with bit rate of 48-320kbps |
WMA: sampling frequency of 44.1kHz with bit rate of 48-192kbps
AAC: sampling frequency of 8-48kHz with bit rate of 40-320kbps
WAV: sampling frequency of 8-48kHz with bit depth of 16/24-bits
FLAC: sampling frequency of 8-96kHz with bit depth of 8/12/16/24-bits
|Video||Xvid: max resolution of 720 x 576 with max frame rate of 30fps |
MPEG-4: max resolution of 720 x 576 with max frame rate of 30fps
WMV: max resolution of 720 x 576 with max frame rate of 30fps
MKV: max resolution of 720 x 576 with max frame rate of 30fps
FLV: max resolution of 720 x 480 with max frame rate of 30fps
|Photo||JPEG: 6,048 x 4,032 (24,000,000 pixels)|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||256 folders/2,000 files|
|Tags||ID3(version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA, & AAC tags + Album Art|
Rearview Camera Input: The Sony XAV-AX100 is equipped with a composite video rearview camera input to connect a backup camera (sold separately). By connecting a backup camera, you can use the in-dash receiver's touchscreen monitor to see what's behind you when backing up.
- Parking Guide Lines: When a backup camera is connected and you are viewing a rearview image, parking guide lines appear on-screen making parking easy and safer. There are three color-coded horizontal guidelines. The parking guide lines can be customized to fit your type of vehicle better.
- Auto-Switching: When your vehicle's shift lever is in the reverse position, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera; the purple/white wire of the included harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.1 seconds. You can also manually select the rearview camera input from the head units touchscreen..
Navigation Ready (Requires Firmware Update): The XAV-AX100 supports Sony's add-On GPS navigation module (158XANV400, sold separately) through its rear-panel proprietary multi-pin port labeled "EXT" (requires firmware update). The XA-NV400 add-on GPS navigation module is powered by TomTom.
Dynamic Reality Amp 2: The Dynamic Reality Amp 2 gives you 20W (RMS) x 4ch / 55W (Peak) x 4ch of power, so you can play music as loudly or softly as you like with clarity and detail. The amp has 47% less internal resistance than conventional units, for increased output and clear, natural sound at any volume.
- Continuous Power Output: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 55 watts x 4-channels (220 total watts)
5ch/2V Preouts+ Subwoofer Control: The XAV-AX100 contains five 2-volt RCA preouts; a front channel pair, rear channel pair, and mono-subwoofer channel. The front and rear channel preouts can be faded, while the subwoofer preout is non-fading. You can adjust the subwoofer preout's volume level (-10 to +10) independently from the head unit's volume control. You can also select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.
Low-Pass & High-Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer preout features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, or 120Hz. The front & rear speaker high-level and low-level outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off.
10-Band EQ: You can select from a variety of preset EQ curves. Select from R&B, Rock, Pop, Dance, Hip-Hop, Electronica, Jazz, Soul, Country, Custom, & Off. The Custom EQ preset mode allows you to tailor the sound to your personal preference with its 10-band graphic equalizer. Cut and boost ten different frequencies (32, 63, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k Hz) from -10 to +10 for unlimited sound sculpting options.
Dynamic Stage Organizer (DSO): Sound waves are directional, so if your speakers are in your doors or under your dash, the audio may seem muddy or unclear. Dynamic Stage Organizer (DSO) adjusts the signal, improving the stereo positioning so music sounds like it's coming from the dashboard
ExtraBass: Activate ExtraBass at the touch of a button for an instant, low-end boost. Unlike conventional bass boosters, ExtraBass minimizes distortion at all volume levels by automatically adjusting frequency and gain to their optimal positions.
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony XAV-AX100 is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or automatically.
- BSM (Best Station Memory): BSM (Best Tuning Memory) selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- RDS: FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal. Radio Data System (RDS) displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation (only when using the receiver's built-in amp). This function can be turned On or Off.
106 questions already asked