4GB digital voice recorder
Our take on the Olympus VN-541PC by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Simple, one-touch recording
Simple, one-touch recording — just slide up the orange button.
With the Olympus VN-541PC it's easy to make on-the-go recordings. Just slide the big button up to start recording classroom lectures, business meetings, or conferences. The recorder features a built-in mono microphone designed to capture voices. A low-cut filter helps ensure clear recordings even in settings with background noise such as wind.p>
You don't have to be a sound engineer to get clear recordings. Scene Select lets you choose the type of recording — Memo, Talk, or Music — and automatically adjusts the settings for optimal sound.
The VN-541PC recorder has 4GB of built-in memory, enough for up to 1,500 hours of basic-quality recordings. Just use the recorder's USB cable to connect the VN-541PC to your computer to transfer files.
You can use the built-in speaker for playback, or plug in headphones for more discreet listening. Add bookmarks as you listen to highlight key sections or for editing the file on your computer later on. The recorder can deliver up to 60 hours of operation with two supplied “AAA” batteries.
- built-in mono microphone
- microphone frequency range 40-13,000 Hz
- simple, one-touch recording
- 4GB embedded memory
- records to WMA audio files
- bookmark sections of a track during recording or playback
- noise cancellation minimizes background sounds
- LCD display
- built-in mono speaker
- Scene Select automatically sets levels based on activity Memo, Talk, or Music)
- high-speed USB interface with included connector cable
- minijack headphone output
- stereo minijack input for an optional external microphone
- up to 60 hours of operation with 2 "AAA" batteries (included)
- 1-1/2"W x 4-1/4"H x 13/16"D
- weight: 2.4 oz.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Portable digital voice recorder
- 4.5" USB cable (2.0 Type-A one end / Micro-B on other end)
- 2 AAA batteries
- Owner's manual
- Battery installation/removal guide
- Warranty registration card
Overview: The Olympus VN-541PC is a portable digital voice recorder designed to be intuitive and easy for anyone to use. It records in WMA format and features 4 gigabytes of internal memory and up to 60 hours of battery life.
One-Touch Recording: This feature allows you to power on and record in one motion by simply sliding the recording switch forward. A corresponding record LED will light and stay on until recording is stopped.
Recording Scenes: The Olympus recorder can record and store audio in one of 4 different Scenes. Each Scene is designed for different recording situations and memory usage. Recorded audio get stored in the same folder as the selected Recording Scene. Each folder can store up to 199 files.
- Memo: Suitable for recording your own voice or other sounds that are extremely close.
- Talk: Suitable for recording meetings held in small space or other sounds that are fairly close.
- Music: Ideal for recording audio with exceptional clarity, such as recording a music instrument.
- LP: This Scene provides the longest recording time.
Microphone: The recorder features a small, built-in microphone in the top of the unit along with a 3.5mm jack for an optional external microphone (not included).
Headphone Jack: The top of the recorder also houses a 3.5mm headphone jack.
Format: The VN-541PC records all audio in WMA format with 3 different sampling frequencies to choose from: 5kbps / 8kHz, 16kbps / 22.05kHz, and 32kbps / 44.1kHz.
Memory: The recorder features 4 GB of internal memory (non-expandable) and offers the following approximate recording time:
- Talk/Music (WMA-32kbps): Approximately 251 hours.
- Memo (WMA-16kbps): Approximately 495 hours.
- LP (WMA-5kbps): Approximately 1570 hours.
Playback Speed: The playback speed can be either sped up or slowed down between x0.5 and x2.0 in 0.1 increments and can be increased or decreased using the + and - buttons. This is a handy feature for speeding up conference presentations or for slowing down parts that are difficult to discern.
Folder/File Repeat Playback: This function allows you to either repeat all the files in a folder or repeat a specific file.
A/B Repeat Playback: This function allows you to repeat the playback of a portion or segment of a file being played. A is used as the starting point for the repeated part, and B sets the end point.
Noise Cancel: The Noise Cancel function helps reduce noise during playback if a recorded voice is difficult to discern.
File Lock: This feature lets you lock specific files, preventing them from accidentally being erased. Locked files won't be erased even if the Folder Erase procedure is performed.
Index/Temp Marks: Index and Temp Marks enables you to quickly access a desired spot in a file. Index Marks will stay with that file unless deleted, while Temp Marks are only "temporary" and are deleted when a new file is selected. Up to 99 Index/Temp Marks can be used in a single file.
Erasing: Individual files can be erased or all the files in a folder can be erased at one time. Files cannot be restored once they've been erased.
Computer Storage: Recorded files can be transferred to a computer and back using the provided USB Type-A to Micro-B cable. The recorder is compatible with Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 (standard installation) and Mac OS X 10.5 to 10.11 (standard installation).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.