TiVo Roamio® OTA Vox™
4-tuner DVR records over-the-air broadcasts, streams web content (1TB storage)
Item # 592R84600V | MFR # R84600V
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the TiVo Roamio® OTA Vox™ by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox gives fans of free over-the-air TV the recording and playback features that cable DVR users have long enjoyed. It has four tuners and one terabyte of recording capacity, and lets you pause live TV, fast-forward and rewind, and skip commercials on recordings. Best of all, Roamio OTA Vox does away with the monthly TiVo service fee. Pay once and the rest is all free-TV gravy.
Roamio OTA Vox also includes built-in apps for some of the most popular streaming services: Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, YouTube, Pandora®, and more. The combination of local over-the-air TV broadcasts and streamed content from one box makes this a cord-cutter's dream.
Find movies and shows fast with unified search... and now, voice search!
TiVo's DVRs offer uniquely intelligent ways to find your favorite shows. For example, OneSearch™ scours multiple platforms like broadcast TV and Netflix simultaneously, so your search experience is always fast, simple and seamless. No more drilling down into each app and doing multiple hunt-and-seek searches. Find shows and movies by title, actor, director or keyword — and start watching in seconds.
Now, the Roamio OTA Vox brings the power and convenience of voice control to the TiVo experience. Just push the blue "Voice" button on the Vox remote, say your command and let TiVo do the rest. You can search across live TV, your DVR recordings, and streaming apps.
Search by title, actor, or keyword: "Find Modern Family" or "Show me some action movies."
Watch a show: "Play the latest episode of Modern Family."
Launch an app: "Launch Netflix."
Change channels: "Go to NBC."
Go to a TiVo menu screen: "Take me home," or "Show me the Guide."
You can also use the Vox remote to record programs and then skip the commercials when you watch the recordings — even entire commercial breaks! When a commercial begins, just say, "Skip it."
Unique TiVo conveniences
TiVo's OnePass™ tracks down every available season and episode of a show — whether it's on television or a streaming app — and creates a customizable watchlist for you.
And the Roamio OTA's SkipMode™ feature means you'll spend a lot less time waiting for commercial breaks to end. With a single press of a button, you can simply continue watching your recorded show. It's pretty addictive. SkipMode™ works with the main over-the-air channels. Another cool trick, QuickMode™, lets you zip through your recorded shows 30% faster than normal speed, with pitch-corrected audio.
Shop our selection of HDMI cables.
- high-definition DVR lets you watch and record over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- 4-tuner design lets you record four local broadcast channels simultaneously, or watch one channel while recording three others
- records up to 150 hours of HD content to built-in 1TB hard disk drive
- 14-day program guide simplifies recording
- 802.11n Wi-Fi® provides fast, reliable wireless streaming for single-room systems
- stream movies and shows to your TV from Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, YouTube, and more
- OneSearch™ searches across multiple platforms to make finding movies and shows quick and easy
- remote accepts voice commands: launch apps, change channels, and search for shows and movies
- OnePass™ tracks down every season and episode of a show, whether it's on TV or a streaming app
- SkipMode™ lets you skip entire commercial breaks on ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox
- QuickMode™ lets you zip through recorded shows 30% faster than normal with pitch-corrected audio
- watch live and recorded shows and schedule recordings using the TiVo iOS® and Android™ mobile apps
- cast shows from your mobile device to your TV
- Plex app lets you access content from your computer
- coax connector for antenna signals
- HDMI 1.1 output supports 1080p video
- composite video (3.5mm A/V minijack — adapter cable sold separately)
- Ethernet port for a fast, reliable wired network connection
- two USB ports (handy for USB-powered accessories)
- eSATA port for connecting an external hard drive to expand recording capacity
- optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital multichannel or 2-channel audio)
- multibrand remote with Bluetooth voice control
- 14-3/8"W x 1-7/8"H x 8-13/16"D
- weight: 3.75 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- price includes lifetime subscription to TiVo service
What's in the Box:
- OTA DVR & Streamer
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- Remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- USB dongle
- 23" USB extension cable
- Setup + Product Features booklet
Works like it claims!
Mark, Covington, OH
TiVo Roamio® OTA Vox™ Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
TiVo Roamio OTA Vox (1TB): The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox is the perfect solution for those looking to "cut-the-cord" to their satellite or cable provider and still be able to access over-the-air content with DVR functionality, plus be able to stream entertainment content from the major online service providers. It works with any HD antenna, delivers one terabyte of recording capacity (150 HD hours), and integrates all your streaming content from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube, Pandora and more. It also delivers must-have conveniences like a two-week program guide, the ability to record four shows at once, and watch-and-control mobile capabilities. The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox even comes with a remote that lets you use your voice to change channels and search content.
Note: The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox is not compatible with cable, satellite or fiber video services.
TiVo Service: The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox includes a lifetime TiVo subscription. Go to tivo.com/activate, or call TiVo Customer Support at 1-877-367-8486 to activate your service. You'll need your 15-digit TiVo Service Number (TSN), found on the label on the back of the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox.
Quad OTA Tuner: The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox (1TB) is equipped with four built-in over-the-air tuners, so you can record up to four OTA programs at one time. You can even watch up to four shows at once time with additional TiVo Mini Vox(s) (sold separately), the TiVo Mobile App on your Apple iOS or Android device, or on your computer (via TiVo Online). It features a F-type coax connector on the rear-panel to plug in a HDTV antenna (sold separately - see accessories tab).
Note: An external HDTV antenna (sold separately) is required to receive over-the-air programming.
On-Screen Program Guide: The on-screen program guide displays up to two weeks of over-the-air TV programming. You can select which channels are displayed in the program guide. Select All (all available channels), My Channels (recommended channels), or Favorites (favorite channels).
1TB DVR: The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox records up to four over-the-air TV shows at once and provides up to 1TB of recording capacity; enough for roughly 150 hours of HD programming.
- Auto Save Live TV: Up to 30 minutes of the current channel's broadcast is always being saved, even when you're not recording. When you change channels, the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox clears the saved portion on the tuner you're watching and starts saving again on the new channel. So, if the saved portion is important to you, either record the program or don't change the channel.
- Overlap Protection: Being able to record multiple programs at the same time doesn't eliminate all possible recording conflicts. The Overlap Protection feature gives you additional options for dealing with recording conflicts when they occur. Overlap Protection works by determining the priority of each program scheduled to record. If Overlap Protection is turned off, when two shows are scheduled to record on the same tuner but overlap by a few minutes, the lower priority recording is cancelled. But with Overlap Protection turned on, the TiVo DVR simply clips the lower priority recording by just enough minutes to allow both programs to record.
- Extending Live Recordings: Live events (like sporting events and awards shows) often run past their scheduled end time. When the Extend Live Recordings setting is turned on, the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox will remind you to add extra time when you set up a recording of a live event.
- Transfer Recordings: You can even transfer recordings between TiVo boxes by visiting TiVo Online. You can select single recordings, multiple recordings, or all recordings to transfer from one TiVo box to another. You'll see a confirmation screen when your recordings are being transferred. When transferring recordings between TiVo boxes, If you run out of storage space on the receiving DVR, then the oldest recorded shows on that DVR will be deleted to make room for the shows you're currently transferring.
Online Streaming Content: In addition to over-the-air programming, the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox gives you access to many of the major entertainment online services for movies, TV, shows, music, news, & sports. The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox will require a wired or wireless network connection to your router and an active internet provider account. Additional fees & subscriptions will apply per online service.
- Movies & TV Shows: You'll have access to your Netflix, Amazon, Hulu Plus, Vudu, YouTube & HBO Go account so you can enjoy thousands of movies and TV shows.
- Music & Radio: Listen to internet radio & online music from Pandora & iHeart Radio.
Note: We recommend a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended for standard definition AND 10 Mbps for high definition.
PLEX for Media Sharing: With PLEX on the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox (1TB), you'll be able to enjoy media stored on your computer or network-attached storage device right on the big screen. Now streaming your personal computer content (Photos, Videos, & Music) to your TV is easier than ever through PLEX and the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox.
Video Casting: If you have an Apple iOS or Android device with the Netflix or YouTube app installed, you can take advantage of your mobile device's keyboard and search for shows in the app, then cast them directly to the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox and your connected TV. Apple TV owners can also cast their recorded shows to their Apple TV with AirPlay.
TiVo Online: TiVo Online gives you the convenience of TV on your computer by consolidating online apps, making it easy to find and watch what you want in one place. Watch TV shows and games live. Enjoy shows you've already recorded. Launch streaming content at the push of a button. You can even create a OnePass, see what's on tonight and manage all your settings.
Optional TiVo Mini Vox: Add the TiVo Mini Vox(s) (sold separately) to your other TVs in your home and get the same experience in every room. Best of all, won't pay in additional monthly fees. The TiVo Mini lets you to share your TiVo Roamio OTA Vox experience on another TV in your house. Watch live TV, recorded shows, and stream from the web in a different room. TiVo Mini lets you to share your TiVo experience on another TV in your house. Watch live TV, recorded shows, and stream from the web in another room.
Note: You can add up to 10 TiVo Mini Vox(s) - all sold separately. Also works with the TiVo Mini (sold separately).
Bluetooth Remote Control: The included Bluetooth remote with voice control lets you operate the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox, even if it's tucked away behind a cabinet door. It has a wireless range of approximately 30'. In addition to push-button control, the remote features a built-in microphone and offers voice control. It can also be programmed to operate certain TV functions.
- Voice Control: The remote's built-in microphone lets you use your voice to search and select your favorite movies, record shows, and stream online apps. Simply press the "Mic" button and speak into the built-in microphone. The remote lets you speak in natural language and gives you the ability to narrow your search results as you go - search for shows, tune to a channel, ask for recommendations, or use one of the Unified Search Tools. You'll have the ability to have a true conversation with the system, with back and forth questions, commands, and answers. Simply speak to the system as if it were another person instead of trying to figure out what it can understand and what it can't.
- TV Control: The TiVo remote will automatically be able to change channels on your TV and display all the TiVo menus, because these functions are done through the TiVo DVR. You can also program the remote to change the volume and input of your television, as well as turn your TV on/off.
- Remote Finder: The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox includes a remote finder feature. If you don't know where the Roamio's remote is, press the Remote Finder button on the back of the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox. The Roamio remote will play the TiVo tune to help you locate it. Press any button on the remote to cancel the tune.
Note: To use the voice control feature, you must attach the included USB dongle and USB extension cable to one of the USB ports on the back of the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox. You will then need to pair the remote with the unit.
TiVo Mobile App: Control the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox (1TB) with the free TiVo mobile app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0+ devices. The TiVo mobile app lets you use your tablet or smartphone as your TiVo remote control - find and explore shows, schedule recordings, control live TV & recorded shows, plus more. With the TiVo mobile app, you're also able to stream live & recorded shows, as well as TiVo compatible online content from your TiVo Roamio OTA Vox directly to your mobile device from within your home network and outside of your home network. If you have the Netflix or YouTube app installed on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can even cast shows and videos directly to the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox and your connected TV from within the TiVo mobile application.
Note: The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox (1TB) and your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same network for remote control.
Unified Search Tools: The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox (1TB) offers a variety of unified search tools which lets you browse a variety of content across multiple platforms, including over-the-air TV & online content.
- OneSearch: OneSearch scours multiple platforms like over-the-air TV and online Content simultaneously, so your search experience is always fast, simple and seamless. No more drilling down into each app and doing multiple hunt-and-seek searches. Find shows and movies by title, actor, director, or keyword.
- OnePass: OnePass tracks down every available season and episode of a show (whether it's on over-the-air or a streaming app) and creates a customizable "watchlist" for you. Start with the pilot episode or jump in anywhere mid-season. OnePass even automatically records upcoming episodes and adds them to your list.
- My Shows: All of your recordings, streaming videos, and downloaded or transferred shows appear in the My Shows list. Folder & Category search functions help you quickly locate shows in the list.
- Discovery Bar: The Discovery Bar displays lots of great viewing options such as popular shows or sports events that are playing on live over-the-air TV, items from your My Shows list, TiVo Suggestions, new video on demand shows, and more.
- What To Watch: With "What to Watch", the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox helps you sort through your options by showing which popular shows, personal favorites and sporting events are now playing - so you'll never have to surf channels again.
- WishList: A WishList search finds shows that match your search criteria on any channel you receive, and it keeps on searching for as long as you keep the WishList search. You can search for something with multiple criteria or that is very specific by entering a keyword or keywords. You can even choose the Roamio OTA Vox to auto-record matches to your WishList search.
TiVo Ratings & Suggestions: You can rate any show (whether it's live, recorded, or listed in the program guide). You can give a show up to 3 Thumbs Up (Great) or 3 Thumbs Down (Terrible). TiVo Suggestions uses these ratings to create a list of shows you might like. The more shows you rate over time, the better TiVo Suggestions will get at finding interesting shows for you.
Auto-Recording TiVo Suggestions: When the TiVo box has available space, it automatically records TiVo Suggestions (based on your ratings & viewing habits). However, you don't need to worry about recorded Suggestions taking up your space. TiVo Suggestions never replace shows you record, or prevent your shows from being recorded. TiVo Suggestions are always the first shows deleted to make room for your recordings. This feature can be turned on or off.
SkipMode: No more waiting for commercial breaks to be over. SkipMode lets you skip commercial breaks of select recorded content. With a single press of a button on the remote, you can skip those annoying commercials and continue watching your recorded show. SkipMode works with the main over-the-air broadcasts channels - including ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, The CW and more.
Note: This feature is available only on select shows, and only after they are finished recording. TiVo hopes to make the feature available for the most popular shows on the most popular channels watched by TiVo subscribers. That means you'll find SkipMode on many shows that you record between 4:30pm and midnight (or 12:30am. on major networks) on the most widely-watched networks.
QuickView & QuickMode: While you're watching live TV or recorded show, QuickView lets you see what else is playing now or coming up without missing the action on the show you're watching. QuickMode lets you zip through your recorded shows (and shows with a buffer) 30% faster than normal speed with pitch-corrected audio. It's the ideal way to power through slow-moving news shows or sporting events.
SmartBar: The SmartBar predicts shows to watch based on what your household usually watch at a particular time or day. For example, if you normally watch the previous night's late-night talk show the next morning, you'll see it in the SmartBar when you wake up. If the kids tend to watch shows while dinner's cooking, those shows will be waiting in the SmartBar at that time each day.
Info-Banner: The Info-Banner displays the show's title, description, ratings, and other information. It appears whenever you change the channel.
For the Vision & Hearing Impaired: The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox (1TB) is ready to help vision- and hearing-impaired users get the most out of the TiVo experience. TiVo offers an audible screen reader for the vision impaired and closed captioning for the hearing impaired.
Parental Controls: Parental Controls help you make sure your family has access to only those shows you want them to watch. Set limits on movie and television ratings, lock specific channels, and prevent viewing of recorded shows that violate the settings you choose.
Wired & Wireless Network Connectivity: The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox (1TB) needs a high-speed Internet connection to receive program listings, TiVo service updates, and on-demand content. A wired connection can be made via Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45) or MoCA, while a wireless connection can be made via its built-in WiFi (802.11ac). The type of network connection you choose will depend on what you want to do with your TiVo setup.
- Built-in WiFi (Wireless): If you plan to stream shows to mobile devices but not other TiVo boxes, you can use a wireless connection and connect the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox (1TB) to your wireless router over WiFi (802.11ac). Wireless connection speeds are typically not fast enough to stream shows between TiVo boxes reliably.
- Ethernet & MoCA (Wired): If you plan to stream shows to and from other TiVo boxes, a wired connection is recommended. Choose between an Ethernet or MoCA wired connection. There is a rear-panel Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45) jack provides a wired connection to your network router. Use the built-in MoCA bridge to connect the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox (1TB) to your home network over coax/MoCA.
HDMI Out: The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox (1TB) is outfitted with an HDMI 1.1 output to connect to your HDTV. The HDMI output supports 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p (24/60Hz) video resolutions. It also support 2ch to 5.1ch audio output, including support for Dolby Digital.
Note: Not compatible with Ultra-HD 4K or HDR video resolutions.
3.5mm AV Output: The TiVo Roamio OTA Vox features a 3.5mm AV output with support for 480i video and 2ch audio. A 3.5mm AV to composite video/stereo RCA adapter may be required.
Optical Digital Output: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the TiVo Roamio OTA Vox is equipped with an optical (toslink) digital output which support 2ch to 5.1ch audio, including Dolby Digital.
F-Type Coax Connector: There is a F-type coax connector on the rear-panel to connect your external antenna (sold separately - see accessory list).
E-SATA Port (external storage): You can connect an external hard drive via the unit's e-Sata port.
Dual USB Ports: There are two USB (type-A) ports on the back of the unit for future & service use. One of the USB ports will be used with the included USB dongle and extension cable for voice control from the supplied remote.
AC Power Adapter: The included AC adapter must be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Needed a basic OTA DVR for my antenna because my old Channel Master DVR is malfunctioning and they are no longer manufacturing or supporting - updating the old hardware, making it very frustrating for my technology challenged wife on a daily basis. ;-) [ Keith May 07, 2018 ]
Have one that works great, want another. [ Daniel May 02, 2018 ]
it replaces my cable co. dvr [ Bill Mar 22, 2018 ]
To add a friendly user interface for OTA listings and to capture the shows I want and be able to skip commercials! [ Jeffrey Mar 13, 2018 ]
It seems to provide what I need. I want to do away with cable. [ Antonio Mar 06, 2018 ]
Recommend by a friend [ Varma Feb 25, 2018 ]
2 questions already asked
I hope someone else can provide this answer. Given my limited knowledge, it is not clear what you're asking. Are you asking if it is 4G capable or if it contains 4K memory? Given that I do not really understand the question, I'm at a loss to be of any help even if I had an answer. My regrets. [ JOHN May 16, 2018 ]
Do not know. Was not an issue for me. Call TiVVo. Thie support is very good. [ Paul May 11, 2018 ]
NO it is 1080 [ Henry May 11, 2018 ]
It is not. It's max resolution is 1080p. [ Richard May 11, 2018 ]
No - the TV tuners are for over the air content, which isn't available in 4k yet, and I'm pretty sure the streaming tops out at 1080p. I think other models, like the Tivo Bolt, may have 4k capabilities. [ jkpdx May 11, 2018 ]
Unfortunately no 4K with this box. [ Travis May 11, 2018 ]
Yes, it works with TiVo mini. I have TiVo Roamio OTA Vox in the living room and the TiVo Mini Vox in my bedroom. Works just fine. [ Richard May 11, 2018 ]
Don't know... [ Domingo Apr 01, 2018 ]
I don't have a mini, so I can't answer this question. [ Mark Mar 30, 2018 ]
the manufacturer says it will [ John Mar 30, 2018 ]
Well it "should" but you need a TIVO BRIDGE" . I have had difficulty getting the bridge to work to a second Roamio PLUS. I "think" I need to spend more time. [ bob Mar 30, 2018 ]
Yes, but it was discontinued. I could not easily find. Roamio does not stream. Must purchase volt if you want networking. I returned my roamio and bought tablo. [ Barry Mar 30, 2018 ]
Yes a must if you are going to use more than one tv on the line [ John Mar 30, 2018 ]