Powered subwoofer (Piano Gloss White)
Our take on the SVS SB-1000 by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Deep, powerful bass from a compact subwoofer
SVS's compact SB-1000 offers deep, punchy bass that belies its modest price and small size. This room-friendly sub packs 300 watts of power and a 12" woofer into a cabinet that can fit inconspicuously into almost any space. You may not see where the bass is coming from, but you'll hear powerful, natural lows that will put some excitement back into your movie nights and music listening sessions.
Airtight design for accurate bass
The SB-1000 has a built-in Digital Signal Processor (DSP) that dynamically controls amplifier power to ensure you hear deep, low-distortion bass no matter how loud your music and movies get. It also uses an acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet design with no hole or port to interact with your room, so you'll experience tight, lightning-quick response from this sub that gives added depth and dimension to drums, bass guitars, and keyboards. And since the driver creates some serious pressure inside the closed cabinet, SVS builds the SB-1000 strong and rigid to eliminate any cabinet flex and keep the bass clean.
Easy system integration
Line-level inputs and outputs let you easily connect this sub to most audio systems. A Low Frequency Effects (LFE) input accepts the subwoofer connection from your A/V receiver. Its back-panel volume, crossover, and phase controls help you fine-tune the bass to ensure a perfect sonic match with your main speakers and your room. The sub includes four conical feet that reduce surface contact area to decrease the amount of vibrations transmitted to the floor. The SB-1000 makes an excellent addition to just about any stereo music or home theater setup.
Who is SVS?
SVS was founded in 1998 by a group of audio enthusiasts seeking to develop a better alternative to the under-performing and over-priced subwoofers popular at the time. By leveraging advanced technology, using the highest quality components, and applying rigorous engineering and design principles, the SVS team has developed a line of high-performance, high-value audio products which bring music and movies to life with stunning realism.
- frequency response: 24-260 Hz (±3 dB)
- built-in Class D amplifier delivers 300 watts RMS of continuous power (720 watts peak dynamic power)
- advanced DSP processor maintains control over the subwoofer at all drive levels for refined, low-distortion sound
- lightweight, long-throw 12" woofer for enhanced sensitivity and transient response
- acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet design
- rear-mounted volume, crossover, phase, and power controls
- digital actuator control knobs for precise and noise-free adjustment
- continuously variable low-pass 50-160 Hz crossover with a disable (LFE) setting for connecting an A/V receiver
- continuously variable phase control (0-180°)
- main power on/off switch plus auto standby/on mode
- line-level/LFE RCA inputs
- speaker-level inputs
- filtered RCA line outputs (fixed 80 Hz, 12dB/octave high-pass)
- remote trigger input
- detachable power cord
- high-gloss piano white lacquer finish
- 13-1/16"W x 13-1/2"H x 15-5/8"D
- weight: 27 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Powered subwoofer
- Grille (installed)
- 6' AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
Good support sound for highs and lows. It compliments my Elac-6 speakers with a Yamaha R-N602 with excellent matching of all frequencies. All with the great advice via Crutchfield expertise.
William, Weimar, CA
SVS SB-1000 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Woofer Composition||Not given|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||50-160 Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||80 Hz|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||300|
|Frequency Response||24-260 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||5 Years|
12" High Output Woofer: The front-firing 12" high output woofer of the SVS SB-1000 powered subwoofer pumps out deep and powerful bass with low distortion, for smooth and accurate performance on music and movies soundtracks. The woofer features a lightweight 12" cone for enhanced sensitivity and transient response, a long-throw suspension for high output at low frequencies, plus a rubber surround for durability and long-life. It also incorporates FEA-optimized motor technology for low distortion, high-power voice coil for excellent thermal management, and vented pole piece for greater cooling.
STA-300D Sledge Amplifier: The SB-1000 powered subwoofer employs a Sledge STA-300D amplifier with efficient and cool-running Class D topology. The amplifier is conservatively rated at 300 watts RMS and 720 watts Peak. This amp features a highly advanced DSP processor offering unmatched control over the subwoofer at all volume levels, for distortion free bass.
Rigid Sealed Enclosure: The SVS SB-1000 powered subwoofer features a rigid and strong cabinet to resist unwanted distortion caused by vibration. The enclosure is an acoustic suspension (sealed) design for tight, accurate bass response. The cabinet is elegantly finished in a premium black ash wood-grain vinyl or gloss piano-black lacquer, and fits with practically any décor.
Variable Controls: The SB-1000 subwoofer has simple and straightforward control options that make integrating the subwoofer into your listening environment an easy task. The control knobs are actually digital actuators for precise and noise-free adjustment.
- Volume Control: The Volume Control (Min/Max) affects how loud the subwoofer plays. It should be adjusted to match the output level of your loudspeakers.
- Low Pass Crossover: This Low Pass Crossover affects the upper frequency limit of the
powered sub. The control
range is 50-160 Hz, along with a "LFE" (disabled) setting. The slope of the low pass crossover is 12 dB/octave. For connection to a home theater receiver, the low pass should be set to "LFE" (disabled). For stereo receiver, it should be adjusted to blend with the natural roll-off frequency of your loudspeakers.
- Phase Control: The Phase Control (0-180°) delays the signal being processed through the amplifier. It should be adjusted to obtain the most coherent and stable soundstage and transition between your loudspeakers and the powered subwoofer.
Low-Level and High-Level Connectivity: Comprehensive and flexible connectivity with low-level or high-level options allow for easy set-up and integration into your home theater or stereo system
- LFE/RCA Inputs: These unbalanced RCA inputs are used for line-level connections between your receiver and the powered sub. For a single mono connection to a home theater receiver, use the R/LFE input. For stereo receivers, use both the L/R inputs.
- Speaker Inputs: This connection method is for 2-channel stereo applications where the integrated amplifier or stereo receiver only has high-level (i.e., speaker-level) outputs. The powered sub's speaker inputs consist of 5-way binding posts that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-connectors, and banana plugs (dual or single).
- RCA Outputs: These unbalanced RCA outputs are used in stereo applications to high pass the signal being sent to the loudspeaker amplifier. The line level outputs feature a fixed 80 Hz 12 dB/octave high pass filter.
Placement Options: If possible, place the subwoofer near the front stage, for best blending with the front and center loudspeaker channels.
- Corner Placement: Corner placement will accommodate most rooms and will reduce the chances for encountering a null (an acoustic cancellation in the bass response) at the listening position. If your AV receiver equalizes the subwoofer channel during auto-set-up, corner placement will often provide the best overall performance.
- Other Placement Options: If corner placement sound excessively boomy, then try moving the subwoofer to other available locations along the front stage, listening for the best balance of output and a smooth accurate response. Always redo the auto-set-up of your AV receiver after moving the subwoofer to a different location to ensure the acoustic distance and calibration level are set correctly.
- Dual Subs: To maximize the bass output and impact of your home theater, two SB-1000s can be paired; one on either side of your room.
Auto/Standby & On Switch: If this switch is set to "Auto/Standby", it will automatically turn-on the powered subwoofer in the presence of an audio signal. If no signal is present for a period of several minutes, the powered subwoofer will enter "Standby" mode, where power consumption will be less than 0.5 watts. If this switch is set to "On", the amplifier will remain on continuously and will not enter "Standby" mode.
Power Status Light: The power status light is located on the front-panel of the powered subwoofer in the upper left corner. The light will illuminate blue when the amplifier is on. The light will illuminate red when the amplifier is in standby mode.
3V-12V Trigger Input: When in standby mode, the powered sub's trigger input (3.5mm) can be used to automatically turn on the powered subwoofer if a signal is sent to this input from another component in the system (like your AV receiver) that features a trigger output.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Needed a sub to bulk up the low end in my 2-channel bookshelf living room set up. I have two SB-2000s in my basement set up, but I think another 2000 would be overkill for the light duty of the living room, so I'll save a couple hundred $$ on the little brother and still know I'm getting the sound and build quality of an SVS. These things can take a beating. [ NEAL May 21, 2018 ]
My old Cambridge Soundworks Bass Cube 12S stopped working, so I needed a new sub for my office. I am happy with the SVS PB12-NSD I have for my home theater setup, so I figured I couldn't go wrong with a smaller sub from SVS. [ Davin Mar 27, 2018 ]
Good reviews, Small size for a big sound. matches with my current surround speaker package. [ WILLIAM Mar 19, 2018 ]
Great sound and value for the price [ IBRAHIIM Mar 08, 2018 ]
reviews and research [ Mitchel Mar 07, 2018 ]
SVS reputation, product compact size with a 12 inch woofer and price. Would have preferred a frequency range that extended to 20 HZ or below but 24 HZ was close enough. The options and features offered a lot of flexibility. [ Winfield Sep 06, 2017 ]
My choice was based on Crutchfield articles and contact with a representative. [ Ronald Jun 20, 2017 ]
Recommended By Crutchfield Advisor Wade. [ SCOTT A. May 02, 2017 ]
Lots of good reviews on this Seal Subwoofer for music and movies. [ AYUBE Apr 18, 2017 ]
Recommended by one of your advisors based on my application and size of my cabinet. [ J Jan 23, 2017 ]
Wanted a sealed sub, as I prefer tight bass to boomy overwhelming sound. Great reviews on SVS brand. Didn't want to break the bank, but I do love bass. [ Theodore Jan 10, 2017 ]
Has speaker level inputs, compact size and reputation of company that makes it is good. [ Gene Dec 01, 2016 ]
David at Crutchfield recommended it over the Klipsch R-112sw I was looking at. [ David Oct 25, 2016 ]
Reviews are pretty good. [ Andrew Oct 05, 2016 ]
I had a Klipsch sub woofer that just didn't work and I read the reviews for this SVS unit and it sounded like a good unit for me. I've been pleased with it since I made the purchase from Crutchfield and i'm glad I decided on this unit. [ James Sep 14, 2016 ]
Reviews..haven't heard it yet... [ Mickey Aug 16, 2016 ]
Best independent reviews. Reviews verified manufacturer specs. [ John Mar 20, 2016 ]
I have never heard of SVS before, this was recommend by my advisor Abe. I did some online research and for the most part most audio experts agree that SVS makes great Subs for the $$$ [ Aaron Dec 31, 2015 ]
Small footprint with very high ratings from a company that was started just to make great subs. Replacing a Polk PSW-111 whose amp died after just 5 yrs of light use. Much cheaper than the SVS, but I'm hoping the SVS will perform better and last longer. [ Guest Dec 28, 2015 ]
For older two-channel systems like my tube amplifier, this has speaker level inputs (non-banana plug). Fingers crossed that it'll pair well with my Klipsch Heresy III speakers! [ Mark Jul 08, 2017 ]
I had read a lot of articles about the benefits of two subwoofers in a large home theater setup and am very happy with the outcome. It helps fill a room with 10.5' ceilings and odd harmonic characteristics in a way that my original subwoofer could not do without the second subwoofer. [ JOSEPH P Jul 19, 2017 ]