SoundTube STNet Switch
16-port Ethernet switch for SoundTube PoE speakers
Our take on the SoundTube STNet Switch by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Power for SoundTube PoE speakers
SoundTube's PoE speakers — like the IPD-CM62-BGM for example — have built-in amplifiers that need power via Ethernet cable. The SoundTube STNet Switch has 16 Ethernet ports, and each one provides the required 40 watts of power to run a speaker. There are also dual Gigabit Ethernet ports, so you can connect a computer to serve as a music source and control interface.
SoundTube's DNA software lets you monitor and control EQ and volume levels for each speaker individually, and it will even send you an email if any of your connected speakers experiences a problem.
- provides power, control, and signal for connected SoundTube PoE speakers
- dual Gigabit Ethernet ports for connecting to a computer
- 16 Ethernet ports for connecting SoundTube PoE speakers
- 1000 Mbps WAN port
- Type-A USB port for firmware updates
- each port provides 40 watts of power
- connect to another switch to expand beyond 16 ports
- 17"W x 1-3/4"H x 9-3/4"D
- weight: 6.75 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- This package contains two individually boxed Soundtube items:
- 2 Rack-mount brackets
- Five 2-pin Euroblock (Phoenix) connectors
- Four 5mm rack-screws
- 4 Rubber stick-on feet
- STNet-Power Supply:
- 2 Rack-mount brackets
- 6' Power cord (IEC 3-pin)
- 40" Power supply harness (6-pin Molex plug on both ends)
- Eight 5mm rack-screws
- One T10AL250V fuse for 100-120V use (installed)
- One T6.3AL250V fuse for 220-240V use
- 4 Rubber stick-on feet
Overview: The Soundtube STNet-Switch is a rack mountable, IP addressable, 16-port PoE (Power over Ethernet) switcher utilizing Dante PoE technology. The STNet-Switch can provide 40 watts of power per port for driving up to 16 Dante enabled PoE speakers such as Soundtube's IPD-CM62-BGM in-ceiling commercial speakers.
Dante: Audinate's patented Dante (Digital Audio Network Through Ethernet) technology is a combination of software, hardware, and network protocols that can deliver uncompressed, multi-channel, low-latency, digital audio over a standard Ethernet network. Dante does away with heavy, expensive analog or multicore cabling, replacing it with low-cost, readily available CAT5e or CAT6 cables. It also integrates media and control for your entire system over a single, standard IP network. Since audio is transmitted digitally, it virtually eliminates any interference from other electrical equipment, cross-talk between cables, or signal degradation over long runs.
Dante Controller: Dante Controller is a free software application that enables you to route audio and configure devices on a Dante network. It features automatic device discovery, one click signal routing, device editing, and channel labeling. The Dante Controller software also provides essential device status information and real time network monitoring, including device-level latency and clock stability stats, multicast bandwidth usage, and customized event logging, letting you identify and resolve any network issues. The STNet-Switch can even send an email notification if a problem arises with one of the speakers. Dante Controller is available for Windows and Mac OS X and can be downloaded here.
Setup and Use: After installing the Dante Controller app to your computer, setting up a Dante network is typically just a matter of plugging devices into the STNet-Switch, along with your computer. All Dante devices are automatically discovered and displayed on the Controller app, so you can be up and running in seconds. Each audio channel can be named as well as have its sample rate controlled and device latencies set. Once the network is configured, the computer running the Dante Controller app can be removed from the network and reconnected only if changes are required or system monitoring is desired. Signal routing and system settings are stored safely in the STNet-Switch itself, even if power-cycled.
Playback: Audio sources hooked to or residing in the Controller computer can be assigned to play through any of the 16 outputs, including streaming services, such as Pandora, Spotify, etc, or audio stored in the computer. Audio sources can also be assigned to play through multiple outputs at the same time. Since all of the speakers are set up and managed via software, each speaker is individually addressed and monitored. This also allows easy zone assignment of speakers, with no reconfiguring wires.
Power Supply: The STNet-Switch includes a separate power supply which provides 40 watts of power to each of the 16 output ports. A 40" cable with 6-pin Molex plugs is provided to connect the two units. Both the Switch and the power supply are one rack space in height and a standard 19" wide with the included rack-ears.
Front Panel Indicators: Along with the Power LED, the front panel includes 4 status LEDs for the following:
- Network Fault: A networked device is no longer communicating with the Switch.
- Power Status: PoE power is not within it's normal range.
- System Fault: The STNet-Switch is not operating normally.
- Speaker Fault: Indicates one of the connected speakers is not functioning properly.
- Power: 6-Pin Molex socket for power supply connector.
- Ethernet Output Ports (16): Provide 40 watts PoE each for powering Dante enabled IP speakers.
- Gigabit Ethernet Ports (2): Used to connect additional ST-Net switches (both sold separately).
- WAN Port: A 100 Mbps WAN port is provided for connecting to an in-house or outside network, for configuring and controlling the system.
- USB: Used for firmware updates only.
- Relay I/O: In addition to providing front-panel Fault Indicators and email notifications, the Switch also provides 2-pin Euroblock Audible and Visual alarm output ports. These outputs are normally open circuits that will close when a fault is detected. These relays are rated for 30VDC/1A output. A third Reset port is provided, that when closed and reopened, will reset any fault indication.
- Output Power: 40 Watts x 16 Ethernet ports
- Input Power: 110-240VAC, 50/60Hz
- Expansion Ports: (2) 1 Gigabit ports
- External Communication: WAN port, 100Mbps (CobraNet only)
- Relay I/O: Audible alarm, Visible alarm, Reset (CobraNet only)
- Dimensions (Switch and Power Supply): Width - 16.750" (19" w/rack ears), Height - 1.750", Depth - 14.0" (incl. power cord)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.