Bose® Hearphones™ - The Bose Hear app lets you control the volume and tonal balance of external sounds
Our take on the Bose® Hearphones™ by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
The Bose Hearphones use legendary noise-cancellation and directional mics to make it easier to hold conversations.
Hearing help from the noise-cancelling experts
Talk about a conversation-starter. Bose recently brought a few samples of their special Hearphones to Crutchfield HQ, and found a receptive audience. Many of our longtime employees have side-gigged in music for years — we have musicians, DJs, and live-sound engineers working here. All that exposure to loud sound can do a number on your hearing. These in-ear headphones help lift conversations above annoying background noise, so it's easier to stay focused in crowded spaces.
They feature Bose's legendary noise cancellation, along with directional microphones to pick up voices and other important sounds. Artificial background noise was pumped into our vendor training room. Employees took turns wearing the neckband 'phones. There were many surprised faces around the room as we engaged the noise cancellaton and dialed in on the external sounds we wanted to hear.
The Bose Hear app puts you in control
To use the Hearphones, you'll need the Bose Hear app, a free download to your Apple or Android device. This app gives you control over the volume and tonal balance of the world around you — all from your phone.
Choose from sound presets optimized for different situations: music, watching TV, group conversations, or one-on-one chats. These settings adjust the area of coverage of the built-in mics to help you focus your hearing to suit different activities. Plus, you can adjust the left/right balance, or boost certain hearing frequencies that cause you trouble.
Your phone gives you full control of the Bose Hearphones.
Play music and take phone calls, too
Since the Hearphones have built-in Bluetooth, you can listen to tunes, podcasts, or any audio source from your phone. That industry-leading noise cancellation ensures there's nothing between you and the smooth Bose sound. If a call comes through, you can answer it without removing the Hearphones. Conversations will be crisp and clear on both ends of the call.
Light and comfortable
The Hearphones feel surprisingly light, considering all the technology packed inside. The sturdy neckband houses the rechargeable battery and internal circuitry, but also helps keep the headphones stable. I could move my neck and head around freely without worrying about the cord whipping around.
In-ears for those who don't like in-ears
I often recommend Bose® for friends who need portable headphones, but are skeptical of in-ears. That's because Bose® StayHear®+ tips don't fit like most. The soft, cone-shaped tips stay in the outer part of your ear canal, while the stability loops holds them in place.
I can personally listen longer using them than I can with many other ear tips — and that's key if you're wearing them throughout the day. The Hearphones include three sizes of tips so you can find the right fit. The StayHear+ design also helps seal out external noise for better sound isolation.
- directional microphones and proprietary processing help pinpoint voices in crowded spaces
- amplify or reduce volume of external sounds
- widen or narrow the angle of coverage to suit different activities
- active noise cancellation uses internal circuitry to block out external distractions
- control the level of external sound that you hear
- lightweight neckband fits neatly behind your head
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening and phone calls with compatible smartphones
Mobile App Details:
- free Bose® Hear app (required) for Apple® and Android&trade lets you choose and control what you hear
- optimize your listening for TV watching, music, or one-on-one or group conversation
- choose the coverage angle of the built-in mics
- three modes: "Focused," "Front," and "Everywhere"
- amplify or reduce "World Volume"
- adjust treble and bass of real-world sounds you hear
Accessories and General Info:
- three sizes of proprietary StayHear+ tips provide a comfortable, secure fit
- built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 10 hours of listening with active noise cancellation
- in-line remote for music, phone calls, and volume
- built-in microphone for clear calls with a smartphone
- USB charging cable
- zippered carrying case
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Sound-enhancing neckband in-ear headphones
- 3 Pairs of StayHear+ ear tips (Medium pair installed)
- 12" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Padded clamshell storage case
- Quick Start Guide
Bose® Hearphones™ Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Cord Length||8" ea side|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Bose Hearphones are conversation-enhancing, in-ear wireless headphones that help you concentrate on human voices in noisy environments. They use the same Acoustic Noise Cancelling technology found in Bose's QuietControl 30 headphones to cancel noise you don't want to hear. Two directional microphones in each earbud help pick up and amplify voices you want to hear. You can tailor the listening environment with the free Bose Hear app (Android and iOS compatible). Like the QC 30, the Hearphones are great for music playback and phone calls as well. The in-ear Hearphones feature an in-line 5-button remote/microphone, and a lightweight neckband. Three pairs of ear tips are included for a custom fit. The Hearphones can be stored in the supplied zippered carrying case when not in use.
Neckband: The Hearphones have a lightweight contoured neckband that comfortably rests at the base of your neck. The weight of the headphones and cables is transferred onto your neck and collarbone, allowing the ear buds to gently rest in your ears. Each ear bud is attached to the neckband by an 8" cable. The right ear bud cable has an in-line remote to control music playback and phone calls. When you're not listening, you can simply take the ear buds out and let them hang from the neckband.
StayHear+ Ear Tips: The Bose headphones come with StayHear+ silicone ear tips in three sizes (Small/Medium/Large) to help assure a more accurate and comfortable fit. The StayHear+ ear tips are made a soft silicone material with a unique umbrella shape that creates a gentle seal at the entrance of the ear canal.
In-line Remote: The in-line remote on the right ear bud cable lets you control volume, play/pause, skip forward/backward, or fast forward/fast reverse your music, and take/end phone calls while keeping your phone in your pocket. It also lets you increase or decrease the World Volume (environmental sound) level, and select the Directivity setting (Everywhere, Front, or Focused). The remote is compatible with both Android and iOS devices.
Bluetooth: The Hearphones feature Bluetooth technology to connect to your mobile device. The wireless range is approximately 30 feet (9 meters). You can store up to 8 paired mobile devices in the headphone pairing list, and you can actively connect to two devices at once, switching between them as needed. The Hearphones can pair to your NFC-enabled phone by touching the device to the "N" mark on the back of the remote.
Voice Prompts: The Hearphones have voice prompts that confirm by voice some of the functions you perform. Voice prompts indicate when you power on the headphones, battery level (percentage), low battery warning, and pairing. It also identifies the device(s) that are currently connected. In the Bose Hear app, you can select the voice prompt language, and enable/disable voice prompts as desired.
Bose Hear App: The Bose Hear app is the companion to the Hearphones. You can use the built-in technologies in the Hearphones to amplify soft sounds, and lower the level of distractive noisy environments. Any software updates of the Hearphones will be uploaded through the app. The app is compatible with Android devices with Android 4.4 and up, as well as Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod touch running iOS 10.0 or later. The app features the following pages:
- World Volume: World Volume is the level of environmental sounds around you. Using the app, you can raise or lower the World Volume to enable you to hear the sounds you wish to hear. The app also lets you adjust the balance of the audio between the left and right ear buds, or mute the sound in one or both ears.
- Treble + Bass: You can make the environmental sounds clearer by changing the equalization of what you're hearing. The app provides a virtual dial to make the audio brighter (more treble) or deeper (more bass).
- Directivity: The app lets you change the focus of the sounds you want to hear. Three options are available: Focused (narrow area in front of you), Front (wide area in front of you), or Everywhere (sounds all around you). You can also fine tune the directivity with a touch control.
- Settings: Numerous settings for customizing your Hearphones, including Connections, In-ear Detection, Auto-off Timer, Voice Prompts, Prompt Language, and Bluetooth Audio Boost.
Note: The Bose Hear app is not compatible with other Bose headphones, including QC30, QC35, SoundSport, and SoundLink.
Rechargeable Battery: The Bose Hearphones are powered by a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery in the neckband. The battery is fully charged with the supplied USB cable in approximately 3 hours. A fully-charged battery provides approximately 10 hours of battery life. You can check the level of the battery charge via the battery LED on the neckband, or by voice prompt.
Storage Case: The headphones come with a carrying case that protects your headphones and accessories when not in use. The case has a small inside pocket for small items, and a zippered closure.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Did a lot of research and THE Conversation Feature was the deciding factor to spend the extra $200. [ Gary C Aug 10, 2018 ]
Frequently Compared With
Bose® QuietControl® 30 wireless noise-cancelling headphones
Bose® QuietComfort® 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones
For music and calls with Apple® devices
Wireless Bluetooth® headphones with neckband and noise cancellation