Sony SEL50F14Z Planar T* FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA
Standard prime lens for Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
Sony SEL50F14Z Planar T* FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA - Aperture click switch enables or disables aperture ring click stops
Item # 158E50F14Z | MFR # SEL50F14Z
Offers & Financing
Ask an expert
Our VA-based experts can help.
Our take on the Sony SEL50F14Z Planar T* FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Capture beautiful images in any light
This 50mm f/1.4 prime lens from Sony is great for close-ups, expressive portraits, candids, and detail shots. The 50mm focal length is perfect for capturing your surroundings from a natural perspective. With its large maximum aperture, this lens excels indoors and in low light. A newly designed XA (extreme aspherical) element gives this lens extra-precise detail rendering, while an 11-blade circular aperture provides smooth, gradual background defocusing. These innovations from Sony combine to add dimensionality and texture to your images, giving you the power to take your passion for photography to the next level.
- 50mm f/1.4 standard prime lens
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 50mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 75mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- Carl Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating reduces lens flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environmental conditions
- 2 aspherical lens elements, including 1 AA (advanced aspherical) element, and 1 ED (extra-low dispersion) element provide better image sharpness and contrast
- ring drive SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor) system for fast, accurate focus
- focus mode switch for convenient manual/autofocus selection
- aperture ring with click switch allows intuitive aperture control for photographers and videographers
- minimum focus distance: 1.48'
- minimum aperture: f/16
- lens construction: 12 elements in 9 groups
- 11 rounded aperture blades for smooth background defocusing
- filter/attachment size: 72mm
- lens is 3-3/8" in diameter and 4-3/8" long
- weight: 27.5 oz.
- lens hood, front and rear lens caps, case
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- FE50mm F1.4ZA lens (SEL50F14Z)
- ALC-F72S 72mm Front lens cap (installed)
- ALC-R1EM Rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH143 Lens hood
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions Before Using
- Limited Warranty (US)
- European Guarantee Information Document
- For Customers using an a-series Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera
- Zeiss inspection certificate
A great standard lens. It is very good as a portrait lens in smaller spaces where something like an 85 is too much. The 1.4 aperture can really melt the background. The lens is very sharp and also great for landscapes stopped down. Great sharpness from edge to edge.
John, Ambridge, PA
Sony SEL50F14Z Planar T* FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Optics: The Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA (SEL50F14Z) standard prime lens by Carl Zeiss is compatible with the Sony α interchangeable lens cameras with the E-mount. It cannot be used on a camera with the Sony A-mount. The lens is recommended for use with full-frame cameras, but can be used on cameras with APS-C image sensors. (The lens has a 75mm equivalent focal length when used on APS-C cameras.) The lens comes with front and rear lens caps, and the ALC-SH143 lens hood.
Lens Construction: The 50mm lens features the special Zeiss Planar T* (t-star) lens coating which reduces flare and ghosting. The lens has 12 lens elements in 9 groups, including 2 aspherical elements, one advanced aspherical (AA) element, and ED glass elements. This construction provides high resolution and contrast from corner to corner, and at all apertures. The lens is dust and moisture-resistant so you can shoot out in the elements without worry.
Aperture: The 11-blade circular aperture helps to create images with beautiful bokeh, making the subject stand out while the background is out of focus. The fast f/1.4 maximum aperture lets in lots of light so you can shoot at high shutter speeds in low light.
Click Control: A 2-way switch on the lens barrel controls the click response when turning the aperture ring. When shooting movies, you can turn off the click sounds so it won't be picked up with the camera's microphone. For photographers that like the tactile feedback, the click sounds can be turned on.
Focusing: The SEL50F14Z features a ring drive focusing system, powered by a Super Sonic Wave Motor (SSM). The motor quickly and accurately positions the focusing elements to give you fast, sharp focus. A 2-way focusing switch (AF-MF) lets you switch from auto to manual focusing. You can also fine tune the focus manually after the lens auto-focuses (This is called DMF -- Direct Manual Focus.)
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the bayonet-type ALC-SH1432 lens hood to prevent stray light from entering the lens causing lens flare. When installed, the lens hood adds about 1-1/4" to the overall length of the lens. When shooting with external flash, you should remove the lens hood to prevent shadows at the bottom of the picture.
|Lens||FE 50mm F1.4 ZA|
|Focal Length (35mm)||50mm|
|Lens Construction||12 elements in 9 groups|
|Angle of View||47° (35mm) |
|Minimum Focus||17.76" (1.48')|
|Aperture Range||f/1.4 maximum |
|Aperture Type||11-blade circular|
|Dimensions||Diameter: 3.242" |
(4.975" w/lens caps)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.