Ultra-thin 52" 1080p LCD HDTV with 120Hz refresh rate
Item # 305LN52860 | MFR # LN52A860
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Samsung LN52A860 by Crutchfield's Loren Barstow
The Samsung LN52A860 redefines the term "flat-panel TV." This cutting-edge set measures less than two inches deep, making it the slimmest 52" HDTV Samsung has ever made. It also features their Touch of Color cabinet, which blends a hint of blue into the edges of the gloss black bezel for a unique, stylish look. A860-series TVs offer outstanding reliability as well Samsung backs them with an 18-month warranty.
A consistently clean and detailed high-definition picture
The LN52A860's "Full HD" 1080p resolution screen shows every bit of detail in every high-definition signal. You'll also enjoy high-contrast images with rich colors and deep blacks, courtesy of Samsung's advanced image processing. Plus, their 120Hz video technology doubles the conventional LCD frame rate to ensure the picture remains smooth and blur-free during fast-paced scenes.
Multiple ways to get HD programming
Dual tuners pull in over-the-air analog broadcasts, as well as crystal-clear digital signals (antenna required). If you're a cable TV subscriber, you can take advantage of the built-in "QAM" tuner to watch unscrambled digital cable channels without a set-top box taking up extra space. An Ethernet port lets you use your broadband Internet connection to view news, weather, and stock market reports using Samsung's InfoLink service.
Plenty of connections for your A/V equipment
Four HDMI inputs and two HD-capable component video inputs make it easy to hook up all your high-definition gear. The HDMI inputs can accept 1080p24 (1080p video recorded at 24 frames per second), for smooth, cinematic images from high-def Blu-ray Disc players. These inputs also feature Anynet+, a system that carries remote commands to and from compatible Samsung components over the HDMI connection. This makes it easy to control additional components using a single remote.
Tip: For a list of over-the-air digital TV stations you can receive, as well as antenna recommendations for your location, enter your zip code in AntennaWeb's mapping tool.
FREE "white glove" in-home delivery: This item will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Some flat-panel TVs include a pedestal stand that requires assembly by the customer the delivery crew is not responsible for assembly. White glove service is available to physical addresses in the United States only. Limited delivery to Alaska and Hawaii is available for $99 per item. Sorry, we can't ship to freight forwarders. Delivery takes 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Please allow extra time to remote addresses.
- 52" screen (measured diagonally)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- Touch of Color high-gloss finish
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- Ultra Clear LCD panel (1920 x 1080 pixels)
- Auto Motion Plus 120Hz anti-blur technology for clearer motion
- 4-millisecond pixel response time
- 50,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- DNIe digital image processing
- x.v.Color support
- 1-tuner picture-in-picture
- built-in down-firing stereo speakers with integrated woofer (10 watts x 2)
- can stream content from a DLNA-compliant media server, such as a PC running DLNA software
- pre-loaded HD content, including an image gallery, recipes, and games
- illuminated multibrand remote control and secondary Touch of Color remote
- Anynet+ simplifies remote control for compatible Samsung components (HDMI-CEC)
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 7 A/V inputs, including:
- 1 composite video (side)
- 1 S-video
- 2 component video (accepts signals up to 1080p)
- 4 HDMI v1.3 (3 rear, 1 side) accepts signals up to 1080p (60Hz, 24Hz)
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- Ethernet port with Infolink RSS feeds
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- 2 USB ports for digital photo/video/MP3 playback
- Energy Star® 3.0 compliant see our article on TV power consumption for more info about this and other testing standards
- detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 24-3/4"W x 12-3/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 49-3/4"W x 30-5/8"H x 1-15/16"D (32-7/8"H x 12-3/8"D on stand)
- weight: 68.8 lbs. with stand; 59.1 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 18 months parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 52" LCD TV
- Wireless remote control (BN59-00700A)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Mini remote control
- Lithium CR2032 battery
- 68" AC power cord
- Bottom cover (used when wall mounting)
- Cleaning cloth
- PC Share Manager 1.0 CD-ROM
- User manual (English/Spanish)
- Quick setup guide
- Important safety instructions
- Warranty information
- Digital TV transition notice
Samsung LN52A860 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
ToC (Touch of Color): Samsung's new Touch of Color design features a hint of blue color naturally blended into the traditional piano black frame of the Samsung 860 Series LCD televisions.
HDTV Tuner: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
Native Resolution: The television has a display resolution of 1920 x 1080. The HDMI and component video inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals and scale and display them as 1920 x 1080. The television features a full HD 1920 x 1080p digital format converter for all inputs.
Ultra Clear Panel: Samsung's Ultra Clear panel provides a bright, clear, colorful and overall more vibrant picture. The Ultra Clear Panel technology enhances contrast and reduces reflection so you can enjoy an overall outstanding viewing experience.
Contrast Ratio: This TV has an 50,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, giving you brilliant brightness and contrast for superior picture and detail from both PC and TV images.
Auto Motion Plus 120Hz: Auto Motion Plus 120Hz technology virtually eliminates any motion blur and creates smooth transitions between frames. Auto Motion Plus calculates the image between frames and inserts it, creating a non-repetitive transition from one to the next; the result is a clearer picture.
4ms Response Time: Response time refers to the amount of time it takes a pixel to refresh itself-to go from being active to being inactive (ready to be re-activated). The lower the time, the faster the response time. The 860 series 4ms response time virtually eliminates any blurring and gives you smooth-motion action scenes
Digital Natural Image Engine (DNIe): Samsung's DNIe makes input signals sharper, clearer, and more lifelike. It's advanced image processors and six-times density enhancer help to create true-to-life colors and high contrast, while virtually eliminating digital artifacts. DNIe is made up of a Motion Optimizer, a Contrast Enhancer, a Color Optimizer and a Detail Enhancer to produce life-like images that rival reality.
Picture Sizes: Choose one of the following picture sizes:
- 16:9: sets the picture aspect ratio to 16:9 wide mode
- Zoom 1: magnifies the size of the picture; allows you to move the enlarged picture using the arrows on the remote
- Zoom 2: magnifies the size of the picture more than Zoom 1 and allows you to move the enlarged picture using the arrows on the remote
- Wide Fit: enlarges the aspect ratio of the picture to fill the entire screen
- 4:3: displays a 4:3 source with no modification; black bars on both sides
- Just Scan: see the full image without any cutoff when HD signals are input
Picture Presets: You can choose one of the following picture settings, each input stores its own setting:
- Standard: factory settings
- Dynamic: for viewing in a bright room
- Movie: for viewing in low light
Note: You can adjust and store the following settings for each picture setting: contrast, brightness, sharpness, color, tint, and backlight.
Detailed Picture Settings: The Samsung LCD TV allows you to make the following precise picture settings.
- Black Adjust: directly select the black level on the screen from Off, Low, Medium, or High to adjust the screen depth
- Dynamic Contrast: adjust the screen contrast from Off, Low, Medium, or High so that the optimal contrast is provided
- Gamma: adjusts the primary color (red, green, blue) intensity from -3 to +3
- Color Space: color space is a color matrix composed of red, green and blue colors, you can select your favorite color space to experience the most natural color; you can choose from Auto, Native, or Custom (Red/Green/Blue)
- White Balance: adjusts the color temperature for more natural picture colors
- Flesh Tone: emphasizes the pink flesh tone in the picture
- Edge Enhancement: emphasizes object boundaries; can be turned either On or Off
- xvYCC: provides a wider color space when used with xvYCC-compatible video components and content; using HDMI or component video connections; you can turn this feature On or Off; Picture Mode must be set to Movie to use this feature
Film Mode: The TV can be set to automatically sense and process film signals from all sources and adjust the picture for optimum quality.
Digital Noise Reduction: If the broadcast signal received by your TV is weak, you can activate the Digital Noise Reduction feature to help reduce any static and ghosting that may appear on the screen.
Entertainment Mode: The Entertainment Mode enables you to select the optimal display and sound for sports, cinema and games. You can choose from Sports, Cinema, Game and Off.
Auto Volume: Auto volume automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels.
EQ: You can adjust the 5-band EQ, which includes the following frequencies: 100 Hz, 300 Hz, 1 kHz, 3 kHz, and 10 kHz. You can also set the balance between the left and right channels.
Automatic Sound Settings: You can choose from the following sound settings:
- Standard: factory settings
- Music: emphasizes music over voices
- Movie: for watching movies
- Speech: emphasizes voices over other sounds
- Custom: recalls your personal EQ settings
SRS TruSurround XT: TruSurround is a patented SRS technology that solves the problem of playing 5.1 multi-channel content using only two speakers. TruSurround delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through the two speaker internal playback system. It is fully compatible with all multi-channel formats.
Wiselink Pro: Two side-panel USB 2.0 type-A ports allow you to connect USB Mass Storage (MSC) devices to view JPEG, AVI and MPEG files and play MP3 audio files. Wiselink only supports the FAT16/32 file system. You have access to the following functions:
- Photo (JPEG) List:
This menu shows JPEG files and
folders saved on the USB device, with resolutions up to 15,360 x 8,640
pixels, and allows you to do the following:
- Sort: arrange photos by month, time, color, composition, folder, or preference so you are only viewing images you want to see
- Slide Show: play files on the USB device in a slide show, play all pictures in a group or only those selected; the slide interval is adjustable you can also choose an MP3 file on the USB device to play as background music during the slide show
- Rotate: rotate the selected image by 90°, 180°, or 270°
- Zoom: you can enlarge a picture 2x or 4x; once the image is enlarged, you can pan through the image
- MP3 List: This menu shows MP3 files saved on the USB
device and allows you to play them back; choose from the following
- Sort: arrange music files by Title, Artist, Mood, Genre Folder or Preference
- Once: music file or folder is played once
- Repeat: music file or folder played repeatedly
- Movie List: This menu shows movie files and folders saved on your
USB memory device. Wiselink Pro supports the following video files (Xvid,
H.264 MP, H.264 BP, MPEG4 SP, MPEG4 ASP, MJPEG, and MPEG2) with resolutions
up to 800 x 600 or 1920 x 1080. The Movie List features the following
- Sort: arrange movies by Title, Timeline, Folder, or Preference
- Movie Information: display movie file information including the order of the file in current directory, the name, the size, the date modified, and the path id
- Playback Options: Movie Once, Movie Repeat, Pause Movie and Fast Forward Play x2
- Picture Size: set the picture size to Fit (play video at the TV screen size) or Original (play video at the original size)
- Firmware Upgrades: Samsung may offer upgrades for the TV's firmware in the future. These firmware upgrades will be possible by connecting a USB drive to the TV's USB port.
Wiselink Pro-DLNA: Using the supplied PC Share Manger 1.0 CD-ROM and the television's rear-panel Ethernet port, Wiselink Pro-DLNA allows you to watch videos and pictures saved in your PC on the television through its network connection in Wiselink Pro mode. This removes the need to copy them to a USB storage device and then connect the device to your TV. Wiselink Photo List, MP3 List and Movie List all function the same. To use DLNA, the TV must connected to your network and the DLNA application software disc must be installed on your PC. Wiselink Pro-DLNA supports the following formats - JPEG (still images), MP3 (audio), MPEG1, MPEG2 PS/TS, divx, MPEG4/H.264 ( video). Your computer will need to meet the following system requirements:
- Operating System: Windows XP or Windows Vista
- Free Hard Disk Space: 20MB of free hard disk space is need for program installation (if you share files, up to 20MB of hard disk drive space is required for each 100 files)
InfoLink: The Samsung 860 Series LCD TVs feature an Ethernet port which allows you to connect the television to your home PC's network through a router so you can use the InfoLink function of the television. The InfoLink feature gathers up-to-the-minute content from USA Today and displays it on the television screen so you can always stay connected to news, weather, sports, and stock reports while watching TV at home.
Built-In Memory Contents: The Samsung LCD television features the following contents built into the TV's memory:
- Gallery: this function plays a slideshow with high resolution images and background music to produce various atmospheres; choose from Art (view masterpieces of impressionists), Relaxation (view beautiful and serene images of nature), or Party ( view images that can produce a cheerful and exciting atmosphere)
- Cooking: view various recipes that you can then easily follow step by step; choose from the following cooking categories - Starters (light meals and appetizers), Main Courses (popular recipes for chicken, seafood, vegetables, and grill), or Dessert (desert recipes for the family)
- Game: choose from the following five embedded games - Dynamic Bowling, Minimini Cook, Mini Game Pack, IQ Academy, or Sudoku+.
- Children: educational and interactive content that children can watch repeatedly; enjoy stories, songs, and games with the Boowa and Kwala characters
- Fitness: stretching and massage exercises
Note: New contents other than the built-in contents may be provided via the samsung.com website (some with, some without charge). You can also download contents on a USB memory device and play them on the TV without being copied to the built-in flash memory of the TV.
PC-Capable: This unit has a 15-pin D-Sub (RGB) input that allows you to use it as a high-resolution computer monitor. The HDMI input can also be used for connecting the PC. The TV can be set to automatically adjust to the video signals received, or you can use the setup menu to adjust the screen quality and position. No cables are supplied for connecting the TV to a PC.
1-Tuner PIP: This TV has one built-in tuner, so the PIP function will simultaneously display a TV station and one external video source connected to one of the component video, HDMI, or PC inputs. You can change the size and position of the PIP window and even view the two pictures as a 4:3 or 16:9 split screen. In addition, you can switch the audio over to sub PIP picture window.
Note: While the V-chip is in operation, the PIP function cannot be used.
Digital Signal Strength Meter: The digital signal strength meter can be used to help you find the antenna position that delivers the highest HDTV digital signal strength.
Analog Channel Fine Tuning: The fine tuning feature allows you to manually adjust analog channels for optimal reception. A separate fine tuning setting may be put into the TV's memory for each analog channel.
Input Source Names: You can assign a name for the component connected to each of the inputs. When input naming is completed, you will no longer have to remember which component is connected to each input when selecting a source to watch. Source names you can choose from include: VCR, DVD, Cable STB, Satellite STB, PVR STB, AV Receiver, Game, Camcorder, PC, TV, IPTV, Blue-Ray, HD DVD, and DMA.
Channel Labels: Each analog channel programmed into memory can be assigned a name; digital channel names are already assigned and cannot be edited.
Favorite Channel: You can create a list of your favorite channels and recall the list using the FAV.CH button on the remote.
Program Reserve: The television allows you to reserve a program you want to watch at a later time which changes the channel automatically to the reserved program at the selected time.
V-Chip: The V-Chip automatically locks out programs that are deemed inappropriate for children. You can set up the parameters for the V-Chip using the TV Parental Guidelines, MPAA (movie) ratings, Canadian French, or Canadian English ratings systems. The V-Chip function is protected by a 4-digit PIN.
Energy Saver: This feature adjust the brightness of the TV in order to reduce power consumption. When watching TV at night, set the Energy Saver feature to High to reduce eye fatigue as well as power consumption. You can set this feature to Auto, High, Medium, Low, or Off.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, or 180 minutes.
On/Off Timers: The three On/Off timers allow you to program the television to turn itself on and off by selecting a specific on time and a specific off time. You also choose the On Timer's channel and Volume. The on and off timers work independently of one another.
On/Off Melody: A unique melody plays when the TV is turned on and off. You can turn this feature off if you prefer.
Power LED: There is a power LED on the bottom front edge of the TV; the LED can be turned off if you prefer.
Illuminated Remote: The supplied remote control is designed to operate the Samsung LCD television, connected Anynet+ components, and most popular brands of VCRs, DVD players, and cable and satellite set-top-boxes. You can use the remote control up to a distance of about 23 feet from TV with a direct line of sight. The remote's buttons are backlit and will light up with a press of a button.
Mini Remote: A second, smaller remote is included that controls only basic functions; power, channel up/down, and volume up/down.
Anynet+: Anynet+ is an AV network system that enables you to control all HDMI connected Samsung AV devices with your Samsung TV's remote. The Anynet+ system can be used only with Samsung AV devices that support the Anynet+ feature and are connected with HDMI 1.3 cables. The Anynet+ feature must be turned on in the menu to function. Anynet+ can support up to 12 AV devices in total (up to 3 devices of the same type).
Pedestal Stand: The Samsung LCD television features an attached pedestal stand which can also be removed to wall-mount the flat-panel TV. The weight of the TV with the stand is 68.8 lbs.
Wall Mounting: The TV has four threaded inserts on the back for use with an optional wall-mount bracket. The spacing of the mounting holes is VESA 400 (400mm x 400mm) in accordance with the industry standards set by the Video Electronics Standards Association. The threaded inserts require M8 (8mm) machine screws (not supplied). Without the stand the TV weighs 59.1 lbs.
Quad HDMI Inputs: The Samsung LCD television features three HDMI inputs on the rear-panel and one HDMI input on the side-panel. The HDMI 2 input also has RCA stereo audio jacks, useful when connecting a source device with a DVI output (a DVI-to-HDMI adapter cable is necessary). No audio cables are needed for an HDMI-equipped device. The HDMI inputs can also be used to connect a PC to this TV. The HDMI jacks will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
Dual Component Video: The two Component Video jacks will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. Separate RCA stereo audio inputs are provided for each Component Video input. The Component Video 1 input can also be used as a composite video input.
Digital Audio: The optical digital output (with plastic cover) on the rear panel will output Dolby Digital (when available), including 5.1-channel, or 2 channel PCM.
PC: This input consists of a stereo mini-jack and an analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin) jack. This jack allows you to connect a personal computer with a D-Sub 15-pin output. When using the RGB (D-Sub 15-pin) jack, the PC Audio 3.5mm input is used for your audio connection.
LAN (Ethernet): The television's rear-panel Ethernet port allows you to connect an Ethernet cable from the TV to your home PC's network to obtain Samsung's InfoLink Service and use the supplied software.
EX-LINK: The EX-LINK port connects to an optional Samsung wall mount bracket which allows you to adjust the TV viewing angle using the provide remote control.
Wise-Link Pro: The two side-panel USB ports allow you to connect USB mass storage devices to the television so you can view photo files, video files, and play audio files through the TV.
Side Panel A/V Input: The television features a side-panel A/V input that consists of a composite video connection and a stereo audio connection.
Headphone Jack: Also on the side-panel is a 3.5mm headphone jack for connecting an optional set of headphones. The TV's speakers automatically mute when a pair of headphones are connected to this jack.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.