85" Smart QLED 8K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)
Samsung QN85Q900R - The Full Array Elite Backlight has hundreds of independently-controlled dimming zones
Our take on the Samsung QN85Q900R by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
The world's first 8K TV!
The first 4K TVs arrived just six years ago, and I don't think any of us expected to see an 8K TV this soon. But Samsung's QN85Q900R is the real deal, with over 33 million pixels in its 85" screen. It can display four times the detail of a 4K TV.
Whether the QN85Q900R strikes you as the Next Big Thing in TVs, or 85 inches of overkill, Samsung has engineered the world's first TV with full 8K resolution, and that alone is a remarkable technological accomplishment.
Powerful 8K upscaling ensures that all your sources will look their best
There's currently no 8K content available via disc, broadcast, or streaming service, but don't worry. Optimizing the upconversion of lower-quality video sources was one of the top priorities of Samsung's engineering team.
The high-powered 8K AI Upscaling Engine tackles upscaling in a smart new way. A built-in database analyzes millions of sets of low- and high-resolution images, and uses machine learning to develop new algorithms.
Its picture-improving functions start with noise reduction — especially the compression noise you get with streamed video. Other features include detail creation, edge enhancement, and removing "jaggies" from curved and angled edges.
This upscaling works its magic whether you're watching the set's built-in streaming apps, connected via HDMI to a disc player or set-top box, or even mirroring content from a phone or tablet.
Stunning detail illuminated by unprecedented brightness
The QN85Q900R's full-array local-dimming LED backlight features a grid with nearly 500 independently controllable dimming zones, to deliver ultra-precise lighting. The combination of deep blacks and brilliant highlights creates a forget-you're-watching-TV sense of realism — especially when viewing HDR-enhanced content.
As a rule, 4K TVs with good HDR performance are expected to be able to produce 1000 nits of peak brightness. The QN85Q900R can hit peaks of 4000 nits — that's the same brightness level that many Hollywood movies are mastered at.
See a billion shades with Samsung's quantum dot color
Samsung continues to refine its quantum dot technology. They found a way to tune the output of the atom-sized quantum dots so that they produce purer reds and greens, allowing the TV to cover 100% of the P3 color space — the standard for digital cinema and HDR movies. QLED TVs can reproduce over a billion total shades.
The QN85Q900R also delivers 100% "color volume." Color volume is a way of measuring color performance that factors in picture brightness. Most TVs lose some color accuracy as the picture gets brighter. But QLED maintains full color accuracy and saturation at any brightness level. Colors pop like they do in real life.
One cord, no clutter
If you're after a clutter-free look, Samsung's QLED models are a great way to go, especially if you want to wall-mount your TV. Instead of connecting your Blu-ray player, cable box, and other video sources directly to the QN85Q900R, you connect them to the supplied One Connect Box switching hub, which comes in the box with the QN85Q900R. A single super-thin cable connects the hub to the TV, providing signals and power, for a clean, uncluttered look.
Change the channel? Adjust the volume? Just say the word.
Samsung's slender OneRemote is one of the smartest remotes we've seen. It automatically detects, identifies, and controls your connected devices and content. Use the OneRemote's microphone to access Bixby, the TV's built-in intelligent voice assistant. Bixby makes it easy to change channels, search for content, or even ask about the weather, using only your voice. Just click voice recognition on your remote or smartphone, and Bixby is at your command.
- 84.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- 8K screen resolution (7680 x 4320 pixels)
- 8K AI Upscaling intelligently remasters content so you can enjoy today's content in stunning 8K detail
- 8K HDR (HDR 10, HDR 10+, and HLG) for extended picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content from connected sources or streamed via the TV's built-in apps
- Motion Rate 240 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate)
- Samsung QLED technologies:
- Q Color™ quantum dot technology for increased color range and brightness
- Q Contrast EliteMax™ with Ultra Black Elite™ anti-reflective screen reduces glare and deepens blacks
- Full Array Elite Backlight has hundreds of independently-controlled dimming zones for superior contrast and shadow detail
- peak brightness is 4000 nits (many Hollywood movies are mastered at 4000 nits)
- 10-bit panel can display over one billion colors
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- built-in Bixby intelligent voice assistant
- dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi® provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- TV-to-mobile and mobile-to-TV wireless mirroring
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
Connections (on One Connect Box):
- 4 HDMI 2.0b
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- Ethernet port for a fast, reliable wired network connection
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- One Connect Box dimensions: 15-3/8"W x 2-11/16"H x 7-5/16"D
- One Invisible Connection™: 16.4-ft. ultra-thin proprietary cable to connect hub to TV (carries signals and power)
- built-in 4.2-channel speaker system (60 watts total power)
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- the TV's audio outputs will be disabled when streaming audio to Bluetooth headphones or speakers; you can choose to have the TV's built-in speakers play or not
- metal OneRemote with built-in microphone for voice control
- Ambient Mode helps the TV blend into your room when it's wall-mounted, or shows screen savers featuring photos, artwork, or info like weather
- cable management: back of TV and pedestal legs provide channels for neatly routing cables to the TV
- detachable dual-footer stand
- wall-mountable (No Gap Wall Mount bracket is included)
- 75"W x 43-1/8"H x 1-5/8"D (45-1/2"H x 15-3/4"D on stand)
- weight: 127.2 lbs. with stand; 123.7 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
Frequently Compared With
85" Smart QLED 8K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)$14,999.99
82" Smart QLED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)
65" Smart OLED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)
75" Smart QLED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)