Moving magnet phono cartridge
Item # 183M97XE | MFR # M97xE
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Shure M97xE by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
A phono cartridge that's ready for anything
The Shure M97xE brings out the best in your records. The cartridge's polished elliptical diamond stylus offers excellent fidelity, especially in the higher frequencies.
It's also ready for those less-than-pristine bargain-bin finds. You can choose to deploy the Dynamic Stabilizer brush to maintain a uniform distance between the cartridge and the record, even if the vinyl is slightly warped. Over 10,000 conductive fibers in the stabilizer brush neutralize surface static and clean the grooves just ahead of the stylus. Side-Guard stylus protection helps prevent stylus damage if the cartridge skips out of a groove and slides across the record.
- moving magnet design
- selectable dynamic stabilizer brush helps needle track on slightly warped records
- polished elliptical stylus
- Side-Guard Stylus Protection System protects against accidental damage
- all-metal cantilever
- frequency response 20-22,000 Hz
- output voltage: 4.0 mV
- stereo separation: 25 dB
- channel balance: 2 dB
- tracking force range: .75-2.0 grams
- recommended tracking force: 1.25 grams
- load impedance: 47k ohms
- cartridge weight: 6.6 grams
- 11/16"W x 11/16"H x 1-1/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Phono cartridge
- Headshell screwdriver
- Stylus cleaning brush
- 2 Screws
- 2 Nuts
- Stylus guard (installed)
- Storage case
- Cartridge Alignment Protractor
Best cartridge in this price range. Awesome sound and the stabilizing brush works wonders.
Justin, Charlotte, NC
Shure M97xE Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Audiophile Phono Cartridge: The Shure M97xE is a superb smooth-sounding phonograph cartridge designed to provide long hours of undistorted listening, without fatiguing the ear. Its highly precise tracking ability and flat frequency response are made possible by Shure's unique Type II low-mass thin-wall aluminum alloy stylus cantilever, combined with a precision-crafted, finely polished, elliptical diamond tip. This cartridge is able to accurately reproduce very difficult musical passages, particularly in the high-frequency range, where audio modulations are the smallest and most concentrated, and stylus tip movement is consequently the most rapid.
- Dynamic Stabilizer: The Shure exclusive viscous-damped Dynamic Stabilizer maintains a uniform distance between the cartridge and the record under difficult playing conditions, even those caused by warped records or mismatched tonearm mass. When such stabilization is not required, the stabilizer brush can be locked up into its detent position, which, under ideal playing conditions, can provide even better sound quality.
- Side-Guard Stylus Protection System: The innovative protection system helps to limit stylus damage if the cartridge accidentally slides across a record. This unique feature responds to side thrusts on the stylus by momentarily forcing the stylus cantilever and tip upward so that the cantilever does not bend sideways.
- Die Cast Aluminum Mounting Block: Its die-cast aluminum mounting block ensures secure, vibration-free attachment to your turntable's tonearm.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I wanted an upgrade from the standard cartridge that came with my turntable. I have used 'Shure' cartridge's before and have been pleased with their products. [ D May 10, 2018 ]
High-quality. Excellent price. [ Steven May 09, 2018 ]
I want it. [ Porksoda1639 May 03, 2018 ]
turn table was reviewed on another site that recommended this cart. as an upgrade. [ robert Mar 15, 2018 ]
the current reliable medium quality cart and stylus for shure lovers. [ paul Mar 10, 2018 ]
Price, reviews, prior experience with Shure cartridges. Mounting it on a Sony PS-X55. [ Dale Feb 08, 2018 ]
My father was an audiophile & used Shure cartridges all his turntables. Now its my turn! [ Andrew Dec 29, 2017 ]
Tracking force and reviews around the web over the years [ Tracy Nov 25, 2017 ]
Good brand reputation, recommendation [ PHILLIP E Nov 11, 2017 ]
I owned this cartridge years ago until I started listening to all the hype about another brand.. I decided to switch back to this one. [ Darrell Nov 08, 2017 ]
Consistently good reviews online for an all around good listening record needle. [ Larry Nov 06, 2017 ]
My 1970's Garrard Zero 100 turntable used a Shure cartridge and I decided to stay with the brand, hoping for more modern technology after reading several online recommendations of various options. The stabilizer brush and recommended stylus weight were also considerations I put value in, not just the channel separation figures, output voltages and frequency responses. [ S Sep 29, 2017 ]
Choice was made based on price, specs, and ruggedness balanced against being easy on the record grooves. [ Randall Sep 15, 2017 ]
I needed a good phono cartridge, big Shure fan... [ Louis M Rhinehardt Aug 18, 2017 ]
1 question already asked
I believe Shure cartridges are MM (moving magnet) not MC (moving coil). [ Thomas W. Apr 12, 2018 ]
EntShure M97xE Moving magnet phono cartridgeer an answer to this question. [ Arthur Apr 12, 2018 ]
I got the answer from the Shure Q & A site, here it is verbatim: "All modern Shure phono cartridges are a moving magnet design. In the 1950's, Shure had the first U.S. patent for the moving magnet phono cartridge. The cartridge sounds great to me. [ Michael Apr 12, 2018 ]
It is a moving magnet stylus. [ DONALD Apr 12, 2018 ]
All shure cartridges are moving magnet [ JOHN F Apr 12, 2018 ]
It's a moving magnet cartridge. [ Michael Apr 11, 2018 ]
This is a MM cartridge. [ Justin Apr 11, 2018 ]
This is a cartridge that includes a stylus. The Stylus is simply the needle. Its an all in one unit that plugs into the arm of a record player. [ Mike Apr 11, 2018 ]