Monitor Audio Gold C150
Center channel speaker (Piano Ebony)
Our take on the Monitor Audio Gold C150 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Center channel sound that stands out
Every whisper. Every nuance. Every emotion. The Monitor Audio Gold C150 center channel speaker will bring your movies and TV shows to life with sparkling detail and realism. As part of Monitor's newest Gold series lineup, the Gold C150 offers all of the goodness that made previous Monitor Audio Gold speakers so exceptional, while adding refinements for even better sound. This center channel's design blends in perfectly with Monitor's entire line of Gold series speakers for building a seamlessly matched home cinema system. So sit back, relax, and enjoy a more involving, lifelike, and intelligible home theater experience.
Advanced design and meticulous construction make the Monitor Audio Gold 150 center channel speaker a stunning performer.
Continuing advancements in driver design for even better sound
Refined ribbon tweeters
For their latest Gold series speakers, Monitor Audio again relies on their acclaimed ribbon transducers. Made from ultra-thin layers of a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy developed by the aerospace industry for jet engines, these ultra low-mass ribbons effortlessly deliver extended high-frequency response out to 60,000 Hz. To increase performance even further, Monitor has tightened manufacturing tolerances to allow these capable drivers to offer consistently more open and transparent sound. Greater production uniformity also means closer matching of tweeter in a Gold series system, providing enhanced imaging and a greater sense of detail.
Newly designed woofer cones
The speaker's tight, responsive bass and dynamic midrange come courtesy of Monitor's twin 5-1/2" C-CAM woofers with RST® (Rigid Surface Technology). Created from the same lightweight alloy as the tweeters, these drivers are strengthened and stiffened even further using a dimpled RST cone surface. The cone also takes the form of a continuous radiating dish, eliminating the central voice-coil opening and dust cap to allow a longer voice coil and larger motor to sit behind the cone. This more efficient assembly provides greater drive force, longer excursions, and lower distortion, for cleaner, more extended and accurate bass definition.
Side-by-side listening tests at Monitor Audio comparing previous models demonstrated that the new Gold models sound more open and dynamic, with a soundstage that is both taller and wider than the previous model.
Attention to detail, inside and out
Wired for transparent sound
Meticulous engineering and hours of focused listening go into each Gold series speaker. The Gold C150's woofer and tweeter are connected to an equally sophisticated crossover network made with audiophile-grade components. Monitor also chose their Pureflow® Silver cabling to make all internal connections. Together, these refinements give you a smoother, flatter frequency response, more powerful dynamics, and faster transients, for sound with real presence and immediacy.
Vault-like cabinet construction
Instead of conventional mounting screws, each driver is held in place using a single tensioned rod, or through-bolt, that threads into its back plate, then secures to the back of the cabinet. The bolt not only acts as a rigid cabinet brace to reduce box coloration, it also eliminates the need for traditional driver mounting hardware, effectively decoupling the driver and front baffle to eliminate another source of unwanted resonance.
Monitor Audio speakers have long been known for their sturdy, vault-like cabinet construction. The Gold C150's well-damped, cross-braced enclosure features a curved profile with large-radius edges. This design helps further increase cabinet rigidity while reducing both external diffraction and internal standing waves that can color sound and reduce accuracy.
Gorgeous, furniture-grade finishes
The speaker's exterior comes clad in a mirror-like black piano lacquer or real ebony veneer finish. Eleven layers of lacquer are built up individually to achieve a luxuriously deep finish. Once assembled the real-wood cabinets are hand finished to ensure absolute precision in the joinery. Monitor tops off each speaker with an attractive "floating" magnetic cloth grille that features invisible attachments to give the Gold C150 a clean, classic look whether you use them with the grilles on or off.
- frequency response: 55-60,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 100-150 watts
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material provides high efficiency and low distortion
- close-tolerance C-CAM ribbon high-frequency transducer for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- dual 5-1/2" C-CAM woofers with latest generation RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- heavily braced, curved cabinet for increased rigidity and reduced internal standing waves
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity for greater clarity and resolution
- acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet design
- high-quality crossover with premium-grade polypropylene film capacitors for greater accuracy
- dual gold-plated five-way binding post speaker terminals with bi-amp/bi-wire capability
- speaker wired internally with specialized Pureflow® Silver cable
- 18-1/8"W x 6-11/16"H x 11-15/16"D
- weight: 13.25 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Center-channel loudspeaker
- 4 Rubber feet
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
This center covers all the bases. It has great focus on the dialog and had awesome mids and highs.
Erick, Tucson, AZ
Monitor Audio Gold C150 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||5-1/2|
|Frequency Response||55-60kH Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Speaker Design: The Monitor Audio Gold series C150 center-channel loudspeaker employs a two-way driver design with a single C-CAM ribbon tweeter and two 5.5" C-CAM/RST midrange/midbass woofers. The midrange/midbass driver exhibits the low frequency extension and power handling of a much larger driver, while the C-CAM ribbon tweeter produces high frequencies (up to 60kHz) well beyond conventional domed tweeters.
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM driver technology is used throughout the Gold series C150 center-channel loudspeaker, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- C-CAM Ribbon Tweeter: Monitor Audio's proprietary ribbon tweeter design uses an ultra-thin sandwich of C-CAM alloy suspended in a powerful transverse magnetic field of high energy NeFeB rare earth magnets. The ribbon serves as both voice coil and radiating diaphragm, with every part of the ribbon driven directly and simultaneously without energy storage. Having a mass of just 18mg, its diaphragm is able to start and stop in an instant, producing a transient response capable of defining the leading edge and natural harmonic resonance of complex musical sounds. Specified to reach ultra-high frequencies, this ribbon tweeter will reproduce with ease every last nuance and detail from vinyl, CD, DVD Audio, and SACD, together with the wider bandwidth of Blu-ray or high resolution digital audio.
- C-CAM Cone Woofer: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of C150 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology): The Gold series center-channel speaker combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with its C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone. The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), the Silver series midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CAM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
Single Through-Bolt Mount: The tweeter and woofers are fixed to the cabinet with single through-bolt driver fixing mounts. This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
MDF Curved Enclosure w/ Magnetic Grille: The C150 employs a MDF enclosure for accurate, uncolored sound. Rigid 20mm MDF construction is used throughout the enclosure with radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet coloration. In addition, the curved cabinet profile aids in increased rigidity and reduced internal standing waves. In addition, the center-channel speaker comes with a magnetic grille.
High Quality Crossover & Wiring: The C150 uses a high quality crossover with premium grade polypropylene film capacitors. The speaker also utilizes "Pureflow" silver plated OFC copper internal cabling.
Dual Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The center-channel loudspeaker has two sets of gold-plated binding posts connected by wire-jumpers. The gold-plated binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, & banana plugs (single only). Using the dual posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance. If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Complements the front 100's and that finish...wow! [ Brett Dec 06, 2017 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Get even fuller, richer center channel sound
The Monitor Audio Gold C350 offers these features:
twin 6-1/2" woofers for deeper bass
a three-way speaker system with a 4" midrange driver for clearer dialogue and special effects sounds
power handling up to 200 watts
Frequently Compared With
Monitor Audio Gold C150
Center channel speaker
Definitive Technology CS-9060
Center channel speaker with built-in powered subwoofer
Klipsch RC-64 III
Center channel speaker
Monitor Audio Gold C350
Center channel speaker