7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Apple® AirPlay®, and Dolby Atmos® (2015 model)
Our take on the Denon AVR-S710W by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
AVR-S720W (2016 model) vs. AVR-S710W (2015 model)New features for 2016:
- support for 5.6MHz DSD high-res audio files
- 5GHz Wi-Fi for reduced interference
- a new and improved control app for mobile devices
- amplifier rated at 75 watts per channel in stereo mode
Out-of-this-world home theater at a down-to-earth price
Some of our happiest customers are owners of Denon S-series receivers, and it's easy to see why when you start comparison shopping. Loaded with useful and cutting-edge features, the AVR-S710W follows the S-series tradition of outstanding performance at an unbeatable value. It decodes high-resolution music files and the latest surround sound formats, plus it has full support for 4K video, bringing more clarity and realism to your entertainment than ever before. Wireless connectivity puts endless listening possibilities within quick reach, and the Denon Remote App gives you easy control of your system from your favorite mobile device.
Take your home theater above and beyond with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X™
A technology that just made its debut in home theater receivers last year, Dolby Atmos creates the most lifelike, captivating surround sound of any audio format we've heard to date. If you're watching a plane take off onscreen, your ears will follow it down the runway along with your eyes, and as it roars directly overhead you might swear your hair is blowing back. The AVR-S710W supports a 5.1.2 Atmos setup. If you're ready to explore this new dimension in home theater sound, you'll just need to add a pair of in-ceiling speakers to your five-channel system, or pick up a pair of Atmos enabled upward-firing speakers to project sound off your ceiling and create the height effects that make an Atmos system so riveting.
Denon will release a firmware update that will give this receiver DTS:X surround sound, an upcoming format which will use object-based processing similar to Dolby Atmos and overhead speakers for immersive home theater.
Add more music with easy wireless listening options
The AVR-S710W gives you plenty of ways to enjoy different tunes through your home speakers. You can quickly access all your old favorites from your own digital music library via your home network, while Bluetooth lets you stream anything you listen to on your phone or tablet. Anytime you feel like expanding your horizons, you'll be able to tune in to countless Internet radio stations from around the globe. And there's also support for Pandora®, Spotify® Connect and SiriusXM Internet radio for easy playback of your favorite music services.
Get music in a second room
With all of the listening choices you get with the AVR-S710W, it only makes sense to spread your music beyond the boundaries of your living room. If you're happy with 5.2-channel surround sound in your home theater, just assign the unused surround back channels to a pair of speakers in a second zone. Then you can enjoy music in a different room, or even outdoors, while others watch a movie with surround sound in the main room.
Denon has made sure you won't spend hours buried in a manual trying to figure out how to set up the AVR-S710W. With the Setup Assistant, connecting your equipment and optimizing system settings is a matter of following easy on-screen instructions that take you step-by-step through the entire process with clear illustrations. The Audyssey calibration system uses a microphone to analyze your room's acoustics, so your speakers' settings will be configured for the best possible sound in their environment.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos® processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theater sound
- DTS:X™ for an immersive, 3-dimensional soundstage (available via future firmware update)
- Audyssey "Bronze" speaker calibration and system optimization includes:
- MultEQ® auto setup and room calibration delivers balanced, dynamic sound for as many as six seating positions (microphone included)
- Dynamic Volume anticipates loud sounds to keep volume levels even
- Dynamic EQ improves dialogue, bass response, and surround channel levels at lower volumes
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Pandora, SiriusXM, and free Internet radio streams with vTuner (subscription required for some services)
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 2.8 MHz .dsf files)
- DLNA and Windows® 8 certified for streaming music with compatible devices and computers
- front-panel USB input for connecting an iPod®, iPhone, or USB memory device
- direct digital connection for iPod or iPhone bypasses the device's digital-to-analog converter for better sound
- Denon's Compressed Audio Restorer improves sound quality of MP3s and other digital music files
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered stereo outputs for 2nd room allows 5.2-channel sound in main room
- amp assign function lets you use surround back speaker outputs for Zone 2 or Front Height speakers
- no line-level output for 2nd room
- optical/coaxial digital and HDMI audio sources cannot be output to Zone 2
- HDMI 2.0a audio/video switching: 6 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (all HDMI inputs and monitor output)
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical
- 2 analog stereo audio inputs
- preamp outputs for two powered subwoofers
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives and an iPod or iPhone
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 7 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)
- full-sized headphone jack
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- Setup Assistant guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- intuitive, full-color on-screen guide
- free Denon Remote app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 5-15/16"H x 13-9/16"D (8-1/2"H with Wi-Fi antennas up)
- weight: 18.9 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- Remote control (RC-1189)
- Two "AAA" batteries
- Sound calibration microphone (ACM1HB)
- Microphone stand
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Instructions
- Notes on Radio
- "Firmware Update" note
- Warranty Information (US/CA)
- Microphone Stand Assembly Instructions
- "DTS:X Update" instructions
- Sheet of self-adhesive cable labels
- Spotify brochure
After playing some of my favorite movies. The 710 Has Gone Beyond My Expectations
ezymoney, Phoenix, AZ
Denon AVR-S710W Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Discrete Amplification: The Denon AVR-S710W AV receiver features a powerful Class AB power amplifier section equipped with discrete high current power transistors. This discrete amplifier design delivers optimum realism and stunning dynamic range. By using high current, high power discrete power devices, the amplifier is able to easily drive high quality speakers. The AV receiver's seven channel Class AB amplifier is rated at 80-watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20kHz, with 0.08% THD, driving 2 channels).
Amplifier Assignment: The AVR-S710W's seven discrete amplifier channels can be configured to accommodate your type of home theater setup.
- Surround Back: The AV receiver's amplifier channels can be configured as Front Left/Right, Center, Surround Left/Right, and Surround Back Left/Right for Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and Dolby Pro Logic IIx 7.1ch playback.
- Front Height: The receiver's amplifier channels can also be configured as Front Left/Right, Front Height Left/Right, Center, and Surround Left/Right for more front effects during 7.1ch playback.
- Top Front/Middle: This amplifier configuration provides 5.1.2ch playback using top front or top middle speakers for Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.
- Front/Surround Dolby: This amplifier configuration provides 5.1.2ch playback using front or surround Dolby Atmos enabled speakers.
- Zone 2: In addition, the AVR-S710W's amplifier channels can be configured as Front Left/Right, Center, Surround Left/Right, and Zone 2 for Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II 5.1ch playback in the main zone and 2ch PCM playback in the second zone.
Quad-Core 32-Bit DSP: Featuring an advanced quad-core 32-bit DSP processor, the AVR-S710W easily handles a wide variety of Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro logic audio formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Immersive Surround Sound: The Denon AVR-710W AV receiver goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats - like Dolby Atmos, Dolby Surround, and DTS:X.
- Dolby Atmos: With Dolby Atmos, sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. The NR1606 has the processing power to run a more enveloping 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos layout utilizing ceiling mounted or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (sold separately). A 5.1.2ch speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your Dolby Digital (Plus/TrueHD) and DTS (ES/HD) movie soundtracks using your existing 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space. DTS:X will be enabled through an online firmware update coming in the fall of 2015. For more info, please click here.
- DTS:X Neural:X: Further, DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format. DTS:X Neural:X will also require the same future firmware upgrade.
Audyssey Bronze: AVR-S710W features the Audyssey Bronze suite of powerful DSP features; including MultEQ, Dynamic Volume, and Dynamic EQ.
- MultEQ: Via the supplied measuring microphone, Audyssey MultEQ measures all the speakers in your home theater during setup, including the subwoofer, and then generates multiple high precision DSP room acoustic correction filters, which together provide smoothest and most natural tonal balance, regardless of the brand or model of the various speakers. Up to six listening positions can be measured, configured, and recorded. MultEQ compensates for both time and frequency characteristics of the listening area based on "Audyssey Setup" measurement results. Selection is done from three types of compensation curves - Reference (default and recommended, L/R Bypass, Flat, and Off).
- Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume features advanced psycho-acoustic processing to deliver clear dialog and wide range sound at reduced volume levels so that you can enjoy theater-level clarity at whatever listening level you choose.
- Dynamic EQ: Audyssey Dynamic EQ also features advanced DSP processing to deliver full range wide-band response, even at reduced volume levels. Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset provides three offsets from the film level reference (5 dB, 10 dB, and 15 dB) that can be selected when the mix level of the content is not within the standard.
Denon Original Listening Modes: Denon's Original Listening Modes, combined with Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic processing, produce more realistic, powerful sound effects for your movie and music sound tracks based on the type of content and your home theater setup. You can choose from the following:
- Rock Arena: For rock and popular music sources, this mode surrounds you with reflected sound of the kind you would hear at a live concert.
- Jazz Club: This mode recreates the atmosphere of a live house where the ceiling is low and you are enveloped with rich doses of reflected sound.
- Matrix: With this mode, you can add rich reflected sound to 2-channel stereo music sources where reflected sound is normally not audible.
- Video Game: This mode is suited for achieving surround sound with video games..
- Mono Movie: This mode is used when you listen to recorded monaural sound sources such as AM radio broadcasts or news programs from the center speaker.
- Virtual: Enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or set of headphones.
- Multichannel Stereo: Left and right stereo channels are distributed to all the speakers so that stereo sound can be heard from all directions at any listening position.
Direct Listening Modes: The Denon AVR-S710W offers two Direct Listening Modes which bypass the receiver's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. Direct Mode provides playback of 2ch or Multichannel audio in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Pure Direct Mode goes a step further by turning off the receiver's display and analog video circuitry to minimize the possibility of any noised being added to the audio signal.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music Settings: While listening in the Dolby Pro Logic II Music format, there are three further enhancements you can adjust - Panorama (broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels), Dimension (allows you to move the sound field forward or backward), and Center Width (allows you to adjust the width of the center channel).
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 5 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
- Center Spread: In the Dolby Surround mode, Center Spread expands the center channel signal to left and right front speakers to create a wider frontal audio image for the listener. It is optimized and designed primary for playback of stereo music content.
- Denon Original Surround Mode Settings: While listening in one of the Denon Original Surround Modes, there are three further enhancements you can adjust - Room Size (sets the size of your desired acoustic environment; Small/Medium/Large), Effect Level (adjusts the effect signal level from 1-15), and Delay Time (adjusts the delay time from 0-400ms to control the sound stage size).
Audio Enhancements: The Denon AVR-S710W receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- CINEMA EQ (Cinema Equalizer): The Cinema EQ function gently decreases the level of the extreme high frequencies, compensating for overly-bright sounding motion picture soundtracks. Select this function if the sound from the front speakers is too bright. This function only works in the Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic modes.
- Restorer: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio), and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The Restorer function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
Level Adjustments: The AVS-710W provides the following level adjustments.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
- Dialogue Level: You can adjust the output level (+/-12dB) to clarify the dialogue output from the center channel.
- Subwoofer Level: You can set the receiver's subwoofer output level (+/-12dB) independent from the other speaker levels and system's main volume.
Volume Settings: The AVR-S710W offers the following volume settings.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB).
- Volume Limit: You can set a maximum volume level of 0, -10, or -20 dB to limit the receiver's total volume output.
- Power On Level: You can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on (0, 1-98, -79 to +18dB, or Last)
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Denon AV receiver offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital & Analog Inputs: The AVR-S710W features two optical digital (Toslink) inputs and a coaxial (RCA) digital input; the digital input are assignable. There are also two stereo analog (RCA) inputs.
- Color-Coded Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding-post terminals for all speaker connections. The binding-post terminals can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single/dual). The receiver will accept speaker impedances of 4 to 16-ohm. The AV receiver comes with color-coded labels to easily identify which channel a speaker cable should be connected to. Since the speaker cables have labels in the same colors as the connectors on the AVR-S710W's rear panel, there's no longer any confusion about which terminals they should be connected to.
- Dual Sub Outputs: For compatibility with dual subwoofer home theater systems, the AVR-S710W features two non-discrete subwoofer outputs. With dual subwoofers, which can be placed in different parts of the room, you'll benefit from response averaging, which helps provide smoother and more detailed deep bass, compared to a conventional single subwoofer speaker system. The same signal is output from each sub output.
- Headphone Jack: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
HDMI 2.0a: The Denon AVR-S710W is equipped with six HDMI 2.0a inputs (5 rear/1 front) and one HDMI 2.0a output, enabling connection to various HDMI compatible devices such as Blu-ray Disc players, satellite/cable boxes, game consoles, and HD video camcorders. The HDMI jacks can accept and switch 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 4K video signals to a TV.
- 4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.2: The AVR-S710W features support for 4K Ultra-HD full frame rate 60 Hz pass-through on all of its HDMI inputs and HDMI monitor output, along with 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling pass-through on all the rear-panel HDMI inputs/output. All HDMI inputs and monitor output are also equipped with HDCP 2.2 signal handling, a requirement for 4K Ultra-HD copy-protected content.
- 3D Ready: Every HDMI input and output of the AVR-S710W is able to pass through 3D video signals from your Blu-ray player or satellite/cable box to your 3D ready TV via HDMI.
- Deep/x.v.Color Support: The receiver also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the receiver's HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the receiver set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the receiver automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-200ms) if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 200ms to synchronize it with the video image.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): In addition to handling 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 resolution, the AVR-S710W also features HDR (High Dynamic Range) and Wide Color Gamut compatibility via its HDMI 2.0a jacks for full support of Ultra-HD Blu-ray. HDR provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the AV receiver is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the receivers HDMI input will be output to your television, via the AV receiver's HDMI monitor output. Once the receiver is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the receiver's speaker outputs.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Composite Video Inputs/Output: The receiver features two composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. You must connect the receiver to your TV via composite video to view incoming video from the receiver's composite inputs. There are no component video inputs or outputs.
Video Select Function: This receiver can display video from a different source on your connected TV during audio playback from Tuner, USB, Network Music, or Bluetooth.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Denon AVR-S710W receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network. The unit also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Either network connection gives the receiver access to your DLNA music server and various online music services. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (5.0+).
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The AVR-S710W is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant for audio and photo networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music and still-images (JPEG) stored on your Windows PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through the A/V receiver and view still-images on your connected TV, or use the AVR-S710W's remote control to browse music & photo files on your hard drive. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed the unit's front-panel display or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Denon AVR-S710W supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||N/A||.flac|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
Online Services: The Denon AVR-S710W lets you access Internet Radio, as well as other online music and photo services from your broadband Internet connection. Currently the AVR-S710W supports Internet Radio from vTuner, Pandora, Spotify Connect, and SiriusXM; as well as the Flickr online photo sharing site (as of 7/15/2015).
|vTuner||The online vTuner service which offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. Internet Radio stations in MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), and AAC (16-320kbps) format are supported. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites. You can store up to 56 Internet Radio stations as presets. The unit will automatically save up to 20 of the most recently played stations.|
|Pandora||Once the network audio player is registered with your Pandora account, you can listen to the automated music recommendation and Internet Radio service. You can create up to 100 personalized radio stations. You can sort tracks within these radio stations. You can skip up to 6 tracks that are being played back within 1 hour. You can also thumbs-up/thumbs-down and bookmark tracks. In Pandora, you can search for the track name or artist name using "keyword" searches. When the search is complete, tracks that have a similar rhythm or sound are streamed.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Spotify Connect||If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify the Denon AV receiver. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.|
|Flickr||Flickr is an online photograph sharing service that started in 2004. You can use this unit to view photographs on a connected TV that have been made public by Flickr users. You will need to setup an Flickr account to download, upload, and view photographs.|
Favorites: You can add up to 100 items as "Favorites" from vTuner, Pandora, SiriusXM, Flickr, and your media server for easier, quicker access.
AM/FM Tuner: The Denon AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with 56 station auto-preset memory tuning. You can also set your presets manually. You can create an 8-character name for each preset station. You can even directly enter a station number using the receiver's on-screen menu and remote control.
Software Updates: Using the receiver's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Denon server. Visit Denon's Support Site for more details.
Front-Panel USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. Compatible USB storage devices must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 500 folders/5,000 files. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display on your HDMI-connected TV and the receivers front-panel display. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
Compatible Audio Formats Sampling Frequencies Bit rate Extension WMA (Windows Media Audio) 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-192 kbps .wma MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3) 32/44.1/48 kHz 32-320 kbps .mp3 WAV 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz N/A .wav MPEG-4 AAC 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-320 kbps .aac/.m4a/.mp4 FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz N/A .flac ALAC 32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz N/A .m4a AIFF 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz N/A .aif/.aiff DSD 2.8 MHz N/A .dsf/.dff
Note: The receiver's USB port cannot be used with a USB hub or computer.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Denon AV receiver offers wired (via USB) and wireless (via AirPlay) connectivity for your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad. You can even watch video from your Apple device via the receiver's front-panel HDMI input.
- AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the AV receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the AV receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
- USB Direct: The AVR-S710W supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV receiver, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your iPod/iPhone/iPad by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Song/artist information and Album Art from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV via HDMI (song/artist text will also display on receiver's front-panel display).
- HDMI Video: You can also view video from stored movies and movie apps from select iPods, iPhone, and iPads by connecting your Apple device to the AV receiver's front-panel USB and HDMI input. Use the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (472LT2HDMI sold separately), the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your Lightning connector iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the AV receiver. Use the Apple Dock-to-Digital AV Adapter (sold separately), the Apple Dock-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4/4S, or iPad (1/2/3). Using the HDMI input, video from your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be navigated from your Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen.
Note: Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Denon AVR-S710W is "made for iPod/iPhone" and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 10/15/2015).
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||Bluetooth||AirPlay||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
OSD w/ Setup Assistant (via HDMI): With Denon's on-screen menu and setup assistant, you can connect, configure, and use your home theater system with ease. The OSD and setup assistant features clear on-screen graphics and text that optimizes critical system settings for your particular home theater setup. The on-screen menu and setup assistant can be output to your TV via HDMI only. If you connect the receiver to your television via only composite video, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display for menu and source adjustments.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Quick Select: On the AVR-S710W's front-panel, you'll find four Quick Select buttons that let you quickly choose from the most popular input sources; the ergonomically designed remote also includes Quick Select function buttons. With Quick Select, the AVR-S710W remembers not only your preferred inputs but also your preferred audio settings, so you can enjoy precisely tailored sound with each one.
Multi-Zone: The Denon AVR-S710 offers Zone 2 and All Zone Stereo functionality for playback of audio in two separate rooms of your home.
- Zone 2: Denon's Zone 2 function lets you select a
different audio source for listening in a second location of your home
(powered output only, there is no line-level Zone2 output). The AVR-S710W
features a Main Zone (audio/video) and Zone2 (audio only). The Main Zone
offers 7.1-channel playback of your audio/video gear in your main
entertainment room. Zone 2 allows stereo audio playback of another source
connected to the receiver in another room of your home via speaker level
outputs. When using the AVR-S710W to power speakers in a second room of your
home, the main zone is restricted to 5.1-channels. Independent volume
control is available through the receiver for the Main Zone and Zone 2.
- Compatible Sources: Compatible Zone 2 sources include - Analog Audio Inputs, AM/FM Tuner (cannot select different stations for each zone), USB (including iPod/iPhone), AirPlay, Bluetooth, Internet Radio (different network sources cannot be played back in multiple zones at the same time), DLNA/Media Server contents.
- Incompatible Sources: It is not possible to play the digital audio signals from the HDMI, Coaxial, or Optical terminals in Zone 2. Video signals and DSD audio cannot be sent to Zone 2. Unfortunately, you cannot select USB and Network sources exclusively for each Zone. For example, if you select a network source for Zone 2 when a USB source is selected for the Main Zone, the input source in the Main Zone also switches to the same network source as Zone 2 (this scenario also includes Bluetooth).
- All Zone Stereo Function: The All Zone Stereo function allows you to enjoy the AV receiver's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2 simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types; analog or digital). During the All Zone Stereo, 2ch playback is automatically selected for all zones and each zone will play at the same volume level. This is useful when you want to enjoy the same music at the same time in multiple rooms during a get together or party.
Gapless Playback & Text Search: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV and FLAC music files via USB or DLNA. You can also search Internet Radio, USB, and DLNA content using keyword searches from the AV receiver's on-screen menu and remote control.
Input Name & Delete: You can change the display name (up to 8 characters) of a selected input source. If an input isn't being used, you can delete it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Slide Shows/Picture View: You can play back still image (JPEG) files stored on a USB memory device or media server and pictures on Flickr website as a slide show. The display time can also be set. You can also play back music and a favorite picture at the same time via USB, Internet Radio, or Media Server.
Sleep Timer + Auto Standby: The Denon AV receiver features a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Standby function. The Sleep Timer allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments. The unit enters Standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (15/30/60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
ECO Mode: This receiver is equipped with an ECO Mode function that allows you to enjoy music and movies while reducing the power consumption during use, Eco mode adjusts the maximum power available according to the volume level selected to reduce power consumption.
Personal Memory Plus: For each input, the receiver automatically memorizes the settings for input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, audio delay, etc. When the input source is switched, the settings last used for that source are automatically recalled. The surround parameters, tone control settings, and playback levels for the different output channels are memorized for each surround mode.
Protection Circuit: This is a function to prevent damage to components within the power supply when an abnormality such as an overload, excess voltage, or over-heating occurs. In this unit, the power indicator blinks and the unit enters standby mode when an abnormality occurs.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Denon AVR-S710W features built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR) with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP 1.2) and control (AVRCP 1.5). You'll be able to wirelessly connect to Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphones/tablets, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computers/laptops and other Bluetooth-enabled devices. Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be remembered by the AVR-S710W, so family members as well as friends can enjoy their favorite tracks (only one device can be used at a time).
- Music Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone/tablet, computer/laptop and more to the Denon receiver. In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the AVR-S710W offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the Denon receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod/iPhone/Pad.
- Music Control: You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the receiver's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device.
- Song/Artist Info: Song/Artist information will displayed on the receiver's front-panel LCD or your HDMI-connected TV.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Denon AV receiver.
Denon Remote App: The Denon Remote App lets you control the Denon Network AV receiver using your Apple iOS or Android device. Simply download the free Denon Remote App from the Apple App Store for the iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (iOS 4.3+), or download the free Denon Remote App from Google Play for your compatible Android device (2.3+). This free Remote App lets you control the Denon AV receiver's basic functions (power, volume, input, surround modes) from your Apple iOS or Android device for all zones of the receiver. You can even navigate the AV receiver's network and Internet content from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. For added convenience, there are eight customizable home screen short cut buttons that allow you to tailor the look and function of the Denon Remote App to suit your needs.
IR Remote w/ HDMI-CEC: The Denon AVR-S710W comes with an IR remote for wireless operation of the AV receiver. The AVR-S710W's can also be used to control select external audio/video components connected via HDMI which support HDMI control. When you make an HDMI connection with a TV or player compatible with the AVR-S710W's HDMI control function, you can perform the operations from the AVR-S710W's remote control; Power off, Switching of audio output devices, Switching of audio input devices, Volume adjustment, and Playback functions.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
wifi [ JEFFREY May 28, 2016 ]
Online reviews [ Carl May 25, 2016 ]
Love Denon! Full feature with very fair pricing. [ BILL May 25, 2016 ]
liked the new bells & whistles on this new product with the lower price point [ Stephen May 24, 2016 ]
I previously had a Denon receiver and was pleased with it. This seems to have all the features I could wish at a very reasonable price. [ Milton D. May 23, 2016 ]
Good brand recognition, good quality products at affordable prices. Needed to replace a Sony STR-D990 that is about 25 years old and no longer working [ Alan Mar 14, 2016 ]
Size of the receiver was important ,80 watts per channel was needed, and Sirius XM and I can use my old Sony DVD .It was a win , win for me . [ SAMUEL Feb 27, 2016 ]
Because I asked Blake to identify the best receiver for under $500. I was looking at a Marantz but changed my mind because this one has much more power, which trumped Marantz's three year warranty. Blake's Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=12 [ Paul Feb 18, 2016 ]
returning customer over 10 years [ Robert Feb 17, 2016 ]
Good value. Good name. Didn't need any additional power. [ JAMES J Jan 08, 2016 ]
Supports 4k and HDMI 2 and HDCP 2.2 so should be current 3-4 yrs in the future. Excellent reviews and well priced. [ Norvin Jan 04, 2016 ]
Your advisor Andy reccomended [ john Dec 16, 2015 ]
Needed an HDMI oriented receiver for several audio, computer and AV inputs. Wanted much better sound than inexpensive Panasonic system being replaced. [ Jim Dec 06, 2015 ]
5 questions already asked
no clue, sorry [ HARVEY A Mar 28, 2016 ]
I don't know...sorry [ ALISON Feb 15, 2016 ]
Hi Rick. I do not have any first-hand experience with this receiver but I did notice in the on-line description that it can be used with the HEOS Link which, in turn, allows you to use HEOS speakeers. So I'm guessing that, by itself, the receiver cannot play through HEOS speakers; you need to purchase the Link component. [ Michael Feb 09, 2016 ]
works with both. Full streaming via Bluetooth from phone and with internet can listen to over the Internet radio stations or log into Pandora, Sirius, etc [ DEREK L Dec 17, 2015 ]
The app works over your wifi network and allows you to change the Internet radio stations. I like being able to use the app to put the Internet radio in zone 2 while zone 1 is being used for surround sound in the family room. The app works as long as you are connected to the same network as the receiver [ Brandon Dec 17, 2015 ]
I use the wifi function to stream Spotify. Unfortruntately the music does seem unstable. I have no problem streaming via Bluetooth to a Bose system (or playing from my iPhone). Will try moving closer to wireless router and see if better. [ Richard Lowther Dec 17, 2015 ]
The Internet Radio functionality works through the connected home network - whether that be wifi or hard-wired. Although you could stream radio via a bluetooth device as well, if you prefer. [ Ernie Vanden Dec 16, 2015 ]
It can work both ways. The Bluetooth range is approx 30 feet. Wifi in anywhere within the home network range. Bluetooth would obviously be used for your mobile devices. The built in Internet radio on the Denon operates through Wifi or hard wire if you want to hook it up that way. [ ASHLEY Dec 16, 2015 ]
I have been playing the internet radio direct from my WIFI router. The router is at the opposite end of the house and have not encountered any issues with signal or clarity. I have not had the opportunity to use the bluetooth feature yet. I hope this helps. Merry Christmas! [ John Dec 16, 2015 ]
Sorry, no clue! [ HARVEY A Dec 08, 2015 ]
It is not. I cannot answer whether you need to buy one that is, not knowing what other equipment you have. I am running mine in a very large room with 4 ohm speakers. It produces SPLs suitable for my purposes but likely does not have the power to produce those needed for THX certification. I am very pleased with the receiver. [ Benjamin Dec 07, 2015 ]
I'm not sure how a wii connected but there's two rca left/right that can be used for audio and there also a rca yellow monitor for video. I believe I have my sonos hooked up via optical (sounds awesome). [ Robert Oct 11, 2015 ]
I found it best to connect components like the DVD player into the TV HDMI, not the Denon receiver. Then connect just the ARC (audio return channel) HDMI from the TV to the Denon ARC. Otherwise, something gets confused and the DVD doesn't always connect. Once I switched to this configuration, my problems cleared up. [ GINGER J Oct 11, 2015 ]
This only has HDMI inputs. You may want to look into another receiver. [ Guest Oct 11, 2015 ]