Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI
Flash for Canon digital SLR cameras
Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI - Auto Intelligent Bounce flash head automatically rotates for optimal bounce flash results
From Canon: An In-Depth Look at Speedlite 470EX-AI
From Canon: Introducing Automatic Bounce Flash Speedlite 470EX-AI
From Canon: Speedlite 470EX-AI_ AI.B Full-auto Bounce
Our take on the Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
A smart bounce flash that aims itself
Canon's Speedlite 470EX-AI promises to be a game-changer in the world of flash photography. It's the world's first flash with an AI (Auto Intelligent) Bounce function. This revolutionary flash detects the distance to your subject and to the ceiling, and calculates the ideal angle for the best flash results. Then the flash head swivels and tilts automatically to create the ideal bounce flash while you work on getting the shot.
Get the look you want
Bouncing light off different surfaces lets you take natural-looking photos with soft, even illumination. Canon's AI Bounce function features fully automatic and semi-automatic modes, so it's easy for anyone to use, regardless of whether you're an expert or not. In AI.B Full-auto mode, the flash chooses the optimal angle and exposure, and adds natural lighting effects.
In AI.B Semi-auto mode, you can pick your own bounce settings and the flash will automatically maintain its angle, even when you change the camera's orientation from horizontal to vertical. Just press the camera's shutter button twice, and the flash head moves right into position, for uninterrupted shooting.
Powerful performance, simple operation
The 470EX-AI has a maximum guide number of 154 feet at ISO 100, and flash coverage from 24-105mm, so it's great for portraits or group shots, up close or at a distance. Fully automatic evaluative through-the-lens (E-TTL) exposure control works with your Canon camera to provide the right level of illumination for any scene.
A manual mode with adjustable power settings gives you extra flexibility and creative control. The rear LCD panel is easy to read, so you can confirm settings at a glance.
- compatible with select Canon EOS DSLR and mirrorless cameras with E-TTL and E-TTL II flash metering
- E-TTL (evaluative through-the-lens) and E-TTL II flash exposure control
- autofocus assist beam range up to 32.8'
- flash head tilts upward up to 120°, rotates 180° to the left, 180° to the right
- new Auto Intelligent (AI.B) bounce mode automatically determines the optimal bounce position and uses an electric head rotation device to aim the flash head accordingly
- full-auto and semi-auto AI.B modes
- flash coverage from 24-105mm; 14mm with integrated extendable wide panel in use
- optical receiver mode for off-camera triggering
- maximum guide number (ISO 100, 105mm) 154'
- 10 custom functions and 9 personal functions for added convenience
- manual flash mode settings
- rear-panel LCD lets you view and change settings
- recycle time: 0.1-3.5 seconds
- uses 4 "AA" batteries (not included)
- includes bounce adapter, stand, and soft case
- weight: 13.6 oz. (without batteries)
- 2-15/16"W x 5-3/16"H x 4-3/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Speedlite 470EX-AI electronic flash
- SBA-E4 Bounce Adapter
- Mini Stand
- Padded case
- Basic Operation Guide
- Caution sheet
- Limited Warranty card
Works well with my Canon 5D.
Dave, Sammamish, WA
Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI is the world's first flash with an Auto Intelligent Bounce function. It can detect the distance to your subject and the ceiling, and automatically calculate the best angle for the flash. The Speedlite comes with a mini stand, bounce adapter, and a padded carrying case.
Compatible Cameras: The Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI is designed for use with Type-A Canon EOS digital cameras that are compatible with E-TTL II and E-TTL auto flash. It can be used as an on-camera flash that attaches to the hot shoe of the camera, and as a receiver unit during optical transmission wireless flash photography. The 470EX-AI can also be used on Canon EOS film cameras, but with limited functionality.
LCD Display: The dot matrix LCD panel graphically displays the various flash modes, Custom and Personal Function settings and status indicators, wireless configuration, and all flash settings. With the improved display and backlit operation buttons, the unit is easy to operate in the dark. The LCD illuminates for approximately 12 seconds when a button or dial is operated. When set as a receiver unit during optical transmission wireless shooting, the LCD panel illuminates in orange. Illumination is typically green during normal operation.
Shoe Mount: The 470EX-AI flash attaches to, and makes electrical contact via the camera's hot shoe. Flash trigger, exposure setting, and focal length (zoom) setting are transferred to the flash via the intelligent shoe.
Variable Angle: The firing direction of the flash is adjustable. The vertical angle ranges from 0° (straight forward) to 120° (beyond vertical). The horizontal angle has a 360° range (180° left or right).
AI Bounce Function: With Canon's Auto Intelligent (AI) Bounce function, the Speedlite 470EX-AI automatically calculates the distance from the flash to the subject, along with the wall or ceiling, to determine the optimal bounce angle. The flash head automatically swivels into position to capture the appropriate camera exposure and flash output. Even if you switch between vertical and horizontal camera orientation, the flash head will maintain the same bounce angle. A switch on the back of the flash head (above the LCD panel) lets you select AI.B Semi-Auto shooting, AI.B Full-Auto shooting, or Normal Flash (no bounce) photography.
- AI.B Full-Auto: Fully automatic AI Bounce is geared for beginners, and performs bounce flash automatically with few operations. When the AI.B button is pressed, a pre-flash fires to measure the distance to the subject and the distance to the ceiling for bouncing the flash light. Based on the measurement, the flash head automatically moves to the optimum bounce angle. If you change the camera orientation, pressing the shutter button twice within a short period will automatically reset the bounce angle for the opposite orientation. (Note: Not all EOS cameras can perform AI.B Full-Auto, so you should confirm compatibility prior to using.)
- AI.B Semi-Auto: If you're an intermediate or advanced photographer, you will more likely benefit from AI-B Semi-Auto. You can store the bounce angle in the unit after manually setting the orientation of the flash head. When you switch to the other camera orientation, and press the shutter button twice, the flash head will automatically move to the equivalent bounce angle.
- Normal (0°): Set the switch to Normal when you want to perform manual bounce flash photography.
Wireless Performance: When used with a compatible flash or flash driver mounted on the camera, the Speedlite 470EX-AI can operate as a receiver unit in an optical lighting setup. The settings of the sender unit are automatically applied to the wirelessly controlled 470EX-AI, so you don't need to change the settings on the receiver unit. The wireless flash transmission range is up to 49.2' indoors or up to 32.8' outdoors. To avoid interference with optical transmission wireless flash systems used by other photographers, you can set the transmission channel to 1, 2, 3, or 4. The sender and receiver units must be on the same channel to function together.
Flash Coverage (Zoom): The flash covers a wide range (equivalent to using lenses between 24 and 105mm), with a maximum Guide Number of 154.2 ft/47m at ISO 100. When the extendable wide panel is pulled out, the flash coverage widens to 14mm. When Automatic is selected, the Speedlite 470EX-AI sets the flash coverage according to the focal length of the lens being used, and the camera's image sensor size. You can manually set the flash output from 1/1 (full output) to 1/128 power in 1/3-step increments.
AF-Assist Beam: If the focal point lacks sufficient light or contrast to achieve focus, the 470EX-AI's infrared AF-Assist Beam will light automatically to help the camera focus. The AF-Assist beam is compatible with 28mm and longer focal lengths, and is effective from 0.7-10 meters (2.3 feet to 32.8 feet) in the center and 1-5 meters (3.3 feet to 16.4 feet) in the periphery.
Wide Panel: The 470EX-AI flash has a fold out wide panel which covers the lens to extend the flash to cover a 14mm wide angle lens. This does not include the angle of view of some fisheye lenses.
Modeling Flash: When the camera's depth-of-field preview button is pressed, the flash fires continuously for approximately 1 second. This "modeling flash" lets you check for shadows cast on the subject by the flash light and the lighting balance during wireless flash photography.
Custom and Personal Functions: You can make precise adjustments to various functions and save them as Custom Functions and Personal Functions. There are 10 Custom Functions and 9 Personal Functions available:
- Custom Functions:
- Distance Indicator Display
- Auto Power Off
- Modeling Flash
- AF-assist beam firing
- Receiver Auto Power Off timer
- Receiver Auto Power Off cancel
- Flash Exposure Compensation
- Light Distribution
- LCD Panel Illumination
- Receiver Flash Charge check
- Personal Functions:
- LCD Panel display contrast
- LCD Panel illumination color: Normal shooting
- LCD Panel illumination color: Receiver
- AF-assist beam emission method
- Quick Flash
- Dial setting changes
- Maximum bounce angle
- Automatic bounce angle correction
- Manual bounce setting
Mini Stand: The 470EX-AI comes with a portable mini stand that allows you to stand the flash upright anywhere for wireless flash usage. The mini stand also includes a standard 1/4" tripod thread for attaching the flash to a tripod for multiple flash shooting.
Batteries: The 470EX-AI flash uses 4 AA batteries. Alkaline or Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) rechargeable batteries are recommended. Based on Canon's testing standards, new alkaline batteries yield approximately 115-800 flashes.
Note: Due to potential overheating issues, Lithium batteries are not recommended.
Auto Power Off: To save battery power, the flash will turn off automatically after approximately 90 seconds of idle use. When set as a receiver unit, the power off time is 60 minutes.
- Guide number: Approx. 47m/154.2' (at 105mm flash coverage, ISO 100)
- Flash Coverage: 24-105mm (14mm with wide panel)
- Effective Flash Range:
- Normal Flash: 2.3 to 77.1 feet
- Quick Flash: 2.3 to 47.2 feet
- High-speed Sync: 2.3 to 41.0 feet (at 1/250 sec.)
- Flash Duration:
- 1/1 flash: 1/950 sec.
- 1/2 flash: 1/1210 sec.
- 1/4 flash: 1/1700 sec.
- 1/8 flash: 1/2100 sec.
- 1/16 flash: 1/2240 sec.
- 1/32 flash: 1/2400 sec.
- 1/64 flash: 1/2690 sec.
- 1/128 flash: 1/2700 sec.
- Flash Exposure Compensation: +/- 3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- Flash Recharge Time: 0.1-5.5 sec (normal flash); 0.1-3.9 sec (quick flash)
- Width: 2.947"
- Height: 5.261" (6.871" flash head at 90°)
- Depth: 4.047" (2.76" flash head at 90°)
- Weight: 13.6 oz. (without batteries)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
fits my needs. [ David Jun 10, 2018 ]