Behringer U-Phoria UMC22
USB 2.0 audio interface for Mac® and PC
Our take on the Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 by Crutchfield's James Ralston
Capture song ideas with this budget-friendly Behringer
Want to lay down song demos and musical ideas on your computer? Behringer's U-Phoria UMC22 audio interface has you covered, and at a price that'll leave room in your budget.
Connections for your studio gear
Input 1 is a combination jack that handles your dynamic or condenser microphone, or instruments like keyboards that have a built-in preamp. Input 2 is a 1/4" jack that lets you plug in a guitar or bass directly. Hook up a pair of powered studio monitors to the 1/4" line outputs, or plug in your favorite pair of headphones to the front-panel jack.
The UMC22 works with all major DAW (digital audio workstation) software for the Mac® and Windows® platforms. To get you started, it comes bundled with a powerful DAW called Tracktion, along with a range of audio effect plugins.
- computer audio interface with 2 input and 2 output channels
- 1 microphone preamp designed by Midas
- combination XLR/TRS mic/line input
- 1/4" direct instrument input
- direct monitoring mode for latency-free recording
- left and right 1/4" TRS balanced line outputs
- 1/4" headphone output
- +48V phantom power (switchable via back-panel switch)
- USB 2.0 port for connection to computer
- supports Mac® and Windows® operating systems (driver download required for Windows)
- bundled software includes Tracktion DAW and effects plugins
- compatible with all major DAWs for Mac® and Windows®
- powered by your computer via USB
- supports 16-bit/48kHz recording
- 6-7/16"W x 1-13/16"H x 4-15/16"D
- warranty: 3 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Audio interface
- 73" USB Cable (Type-A on one end
- type-B on other
- Quickstart guide (Eng / Span / Fren / Others)
Overview: The Behringer UMC22 is a compact and versatile USB recording interface featuring 1 input channel with MIDAS designed pre-amps, studio-grade 48 kHz converters, zero-latency direct monitoring while recording, and more, all housed in Behringer's "built-like-a-tank" impact-resistant metal chassis.
MIDAS Pre-amps: MIDAS is a company that's earned its reputation due to their no-compromise approach to audio and build quality, particularly their award-winning mic preamps which are considered to be one of the industry's best sounding designs. The UMC22's Input includes a MIDAS pre-amp and can accept mic, line, and instrument level signals.
Zero-Latency Monitoring: The UMC22's front panel Direct Monitor button allows zero-latency direct monitoring, which allows you to hear the performance clearly with no delay or lag in the returning signal.
Front Panel: The UMC22's Input jacks consist of a balanced combination XLR/1/4" TRS jacks that can accept mic, line, and instrument level signals, and a 1/4" jack for instruments. The XLR input can provide +48V phantom power. Each input jack includes a Gain control for each, a Signal LED, that lights when a signal is present on that input, and a Clip LED, that lights when the signal starts to distort. Included with the Headphone output is a Direct Monitor switch. When engaged, this switch allows you to hear the direct sound versus the recorded sound. There's a main Output control which adjusts the output level of the Main Outs, and two status LEDs for the following:
- Power: LED indicates unit is on or off.
- +48V: Lights if the rear panel Phantom Power switch is engaged.
Rear Panel: The rear panel of the UMC22 include:
- USB: A USB type-B, 2.0, output provides connection to your computer for audio transfer to and from your DAW and is compatible with most popular recording software including Avid ProTools, Ableton Live, Steinberg Cubase, and many others. The USB port is also used to power the interface from a connected computer.
- +48V: This On/Off switch puts +48V of phantom power to the XLR input when engaged.
- Main Out: The Main Output of the audio interface consists of Left and Right balanced 1/4" TRS jacks.
- Kensington Security: Unit includes a Kensington Security lock point.
- Preamp: 1 x MIDAS design
- Type: 1 x XLR/1/4" TRS combo jack (Mic/ Line), 1 x 1/4" TRS (instrument)
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 30 kHz (0 / -3 dB)
- Impedance: Mic in: 3 kΩ / Instrument in: 1 MΩ
- Maximum Input Level: Mic: +2 dBu / Line: +22 dBu / Instrument: +2 dBu
- Phantom Power: +48V, switchable
- 1 x 1/4" Stereo (Phones)
- 2 x 1/4" TRS (Main Out)
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 30 kHz (0 / +0.3 dB)
- Maximum Output Level: 0 dBu
- Software Support:
- Operating Systems: Mac OS X, Windows XP or higher
- Drivers: Mac: No driver required / CoreAudio supported, Windows: Available as a download from Behringer.com
- Dynamic Range: 100 dB, A-weighted
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 30 kHz (0 / +0.3 dB)
- Monitoring: Direct Monitor switch
- Supported Sampling Rates: 32 / 44.1 / 48 kHz
- Computer Connectivity: USB type-B, 2.0
- Kensington Security Lock: Yes
- Power Consumption: Maximum 2.5 W
- Power Supply: USB, bus-powered from computer
- Dimensions: Width - 6.38", Height - 1.813", Depth - 6.5" (w/USB cord)
- Weight: 1.0 lbs.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I was looking for a nice audio interface that fit my needs and this one sounds like it will get the job done. The reviews where great! [ Kendrick Mar 18, 2018 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Better audio resolution and a second mic preamp
The Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD offers these features:
24-bit/192kHz A-to-D/D-to-A conversion, for high-res audio capture
a second Midas-designed microphone preamp, for tracking with two mics at once