Samsung WAM1500 Radiant360 R1
Wireless powered speaker with Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi®
From Samsung: Radiant 360 Speakers - The Sweet Spot
Our take on the Samsung WAM1500 Radiant360 R1 by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Sound in the round
The Samsung Radiant360 R1 is round for a reason — besides giving it a cool look. This compact wireless speaker features an omnidirectional woofer and tweeter that deliver spacious sound in a 360° radius. No matter where you set it, the R1 can fill a room evenly with rich, detailed sound. And that makes every spot in your room the "sweet spot." But that's just the start for this versatile speaker.
Conveniently stream music from your smartphone. (Requires AC power.)
Bluetooth entertainment options
The R1 has built-in Bluetooth, so you can stream music directly from your smartphone or tablet. Use it as a Bluetooth wireless speaker for your laptop or PC. And the R1 comes with Samsung's TV SoundConnect technology built-in. That means you can wirelessly pair your R1 with a compatible Samsung TV and enjoy great sound from TV shows, movies, and videos.
Wi-Fi for multi-room audio
You can connect the R1 to your home network via Wi-Fi and access thousands of free Internet radio stations. If your system is DLNA-compatible, you can also connect to your digital music library and play it through the R1 speaker as well. Add other Samsung Radiant360 speakers to create a multi-room wireless audio system through your home network. Imagine — you can enjoy Pandora® from your smartphone in the den while a family member plays an Internet radio station in the kitchen, and music from your computer plays on the patio.
Simple app control
The R1 has a touch-sensitive control surface on the top of the speaker, and for remote operation Samsung offers a free control app for iOS® and Android™ devices. You can select your music source — such as Pandora, your own music library, the Amazon player app, or Internet radio stations. You can also control volume and equalization settings right from your smartphone or tablet.
The Samsung Radiant360 family: (from left) the R5, R3, and R1
Other Samsung options for your whole-home audio system
WAM7500 Radiant360 R7 — Great for large open spaces, such as your family room/kitchen, or rooms with vaulted ceilings.
WAM5500 Radiant360 R5 — A large speaker designed for big rooms, such as your living room or family room.
WAM3500 Radiant360 R3 — This mid-sized speaker is perfect for small and medium-sized rooms like your dining room.
WAM1500 Radiant360 R1 — An ideal speaker for small rooms, such as your bedroom, den, or office.
- wireless powered speaker system with rich 360° sound
- built-in Bluetooth
- built-in Wi-Fi for connection to home network
- DLNA-certified for streaming music with compatible devices and computers
- TV SoundConnect for wireless connection to compatible Samsung TVs
- compatible with AAC, MP3, OGG, WAV, WMA, FLAC music files
- Samsung Multiroom App 2.0
- free download from Apple iTunes® and Google Play
- control volume and equalization settings from smartphone or tablet
- control multi-room playback with two or more Radiant360 speakers
- built-in streaming services such as Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, Milk Music, TuneIn, and more
- stream music directly from your mobile device
- requires AC power (power adapter included)
- 4-7/8"W x 9-1/4"H x 4-7/8"D
- 3.09 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed Internet connection and Wi-Fi
What's in the Box:
- Wireless audio speaker
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- 5' AC power cord
- Quick Setup Guide
- Regulatory Guide
- FCC Note
- "Spotify Connect" brochure
Very easy to set up, great sound and love the versatility, e.g. hard wired, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi.
Garrott, Hopkinsville, KY
Samsung WAM1500 Radiant360 R1 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Wireless Audio-Radiant360 Series: The Samsung R1 wireless audio speaker is part of the Samsung Wireless Audio-Radiant360 series of wireless multiroom link speakers. The Samsung R1 wireless audio speaker lets you integrate your digital music collection into your home; whether it's a single speaker in one room, or multiple Radiant360 series speakers in two rooms or every room of your home. The R1 features a network connection, so you can wirelessly stream music from select Internet radio stations and online music services, plus music stored on your computer/laptop or in the Cloud, as well as music from your Apple iOS or Android device to a single R1 speaker or multiple R1 speakers throughout your home. The R1 speaker also lets you wirelessly stream music directly from your smartphone/tablet or computer/laptop via Bluetooth to a single speaker.
Ring Radiator Technology w/ Omni-Directional Sound: Unlike conventional speakers that project sound in a single direction, the Samsung R1 wireless speaker produces omni-directional sound thanks to "Ring Radiator" technology, which disperses sound evenly in all directions with perfect balance between treble & bass. The Samsung R1 wireless audio speaker employs a two-way driver design that features a top-firing 1" soft-dome tweeter with an acoustic lens and a 3.6" down-firing woofer with an acoustic lens. This unique Ring Radiator technology allows sound to flow in a 360° radius, ensuring that great sound is heard wherever you are in the home.
Wireless Network Connection: The Samsung R1 speaker offers a wireless (WiFi) network connection which allows you to stream a variety of Internet radio stations, select online music service, and music stored on your smartphone/tablet device or computer/laptop. To access these network sources, you must download the Samsung Wireless multiroom App onto your Apple iOS or Android device.
- Built-in dual band 2.4/5GHZ wireless LAN
- Support for IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n WiFi networks
- Security setup types include WEP (Open/Shared), WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), and WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)
Note: A network speed of 10Mbps or more is recommended for best performance.
Wireless Multiroom App: Using Samsung's Wireless multiroom app and multiple Radiant360 series wireless speakers (sold separately), you can create a wireless multiroom audio system which can be controlled from your smartphone or tablet device. Or, you can simply use the app on your smartphone or tablet to control one R1 wireless speaker. Simply download Samsung's free Wireless multiroom app from the Apple's App Store or Google Play Store onto your Apple iOS device (6.1+) or Android smartphone/tables (2.3.3+). There is also a Wireless Multiroom desktop app for your Windows PC (7/8/8.1) and Mac (OS X 10.7+) computer.
- Source Selection: From the Wireless Multiroom app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select from all compatible sources; including music stored on your mobile device, music saved on your computer, music on your cloud, or a variety of internet radio stations and online music services.
- Music Browsing: The intuitive UI (user interface) of the Wireless Multiroom app makes it easy to access the music you want here. A touchscreen wheel lets you quickly select stations and tracks. You can search your music by various categories to narrow down your selection. You can also simply enter a keyword search to locate songs, artist, albums, and stations. From the app you can even create your own music playlists to fit your mood.
- Zone Control: The Samsung Wireless multiroom app lets you connect, group, and control each of your Samsung wireless speakers from your Apple iOS or Android device. You can select different music sources and volume levels for each wireless speaker in different rooms or group of wireless speakers in different rooms.
- Party Mode: Controlling and sharing one music source across multiple Samsung audio devices in various locations is made easy with the Multiroom app. Using Samsung's Multiroom App on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can remotely control volume and music on your system across different compatible Samsung devices; including your TV, soundbar, home entertainment system, and Blu-ray player.
Online Music Sources: From the Samsung Wireless multiroom App on your Apple iOS or Android device you'll be able to access a variety of internet radio stations and select online music services. You can even set presets of your favorite Internet radio stations and online music channels. Available internet radio and online music services include:
- TuneIn: The Samsung R1 includes access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the TuneIn radio service. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- Pandora: Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.
- iHeart Radio: iHeartRadio is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify to the Samsung R1. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- Rhapsody: Rhapsody is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Amazon Music: With Amazon Music, you can listen to over a million songs from top artists, plus expert-programmed playlists for any mood and activity.
- Milk Music: Milk Music, powered by Slacker, puts you in control of your radio stations. While some radio apps rely on formulas and algorithms, Milk Music lets you fine-tune your stations in ways that give you more power to customize. With over 200 stations programmed by music experts and the ability to create your own, you'll get more new discoveries, tailored to your taste.
Stored Music Libraries: Also from the Samsung Wireless multiroom App on your Apple iOS or Android device, you'll be able to stream stored music on your Windows (7/8/8.1) or Mac (OSX 10.7+) computer, and other DLNA-compliant network storage devices to the R1 speaker. In addition, you can stream music stored on your compatible iOS or Android device directly to the R1. You'll even be able to wirelessly stream music from the Cloud. The R1 speaker supports compressed and high resolution music files.
- Compressed Music Files: MP3 (up to 320kbps), WMA (Windows Media Audio), AAC (DRM-free only), & OGG
- High Resolution Music Files: AIFF (up to 192kHz/24-bit), ALAC (up to 192kHz/24-bit), FLAC (up to 192kHz/24-bit) & WAV (up to 192kHz/24-bit)
Bluetooth 4.0: The Samsung R1 supports Bluetooth version 4.0 with A2DP, which allows you to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, or Mac laptop/computer. The speaker provides Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track control. Advanced music navigation and song/artist will still be done from your Bluetooth-enabled device.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Samsung R1.
Wireless TV Listening: The Samsung R1 offers wireless connectivity to select Samsung TVs through Samsung's TV SoundConnect feature and Multiroom Link technology.
- TV SoundConnect: You can listen to the sound from your 2012-up Samsung TV (select models) through the R1 by using its wireless TV SoundConnect function. You can pair a single R1 speaker via Bluetooth to your compatible Samsung TV, or create a complete wireless 4.1ch surround sound system by pairing a set of R1 speakers and a TV SoundConnect compatible Samsung soundbar system (sold separately) together with your Samsung TV.
- Multiroom Link: You can wirelessly link the R1 wireless speaker and other Radiant360 wireless speakers to select 2015-up Samsung TVs, so you can enjoy your TV's audio throughout your home.
Top-Panel Controls: The intuitive top-panel interface of the R1 allows you to navigate with ease. Simply tap to control playback, swipe to play the next/previous track, and toggle between play modes with ease.
Alarm & Sleep Timer: The Samsung Wireless multiroom app offers an Alarm & Sleep Timer function for the R1 speaker.
Mounting Options: The Samsung R1 wireless speaker can simply be placed on a flat surface like a table-top, desk, stand, shelf, or other piece of furniture. It also features a 1/4"-20 threaded insert on the bottom which allows you to wall mount the speaker using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately).
AC Power w/ Auto Standby: The Samsung R1 wireless audio speaker operates off of standard household current using its external AC power adapter and detachable AC power cord. The R1 switches to the standby mode if there is no music playback or no button operation (either from the top-panel or from the app) for approximately 25 minutes in Bluetooth or Network mode (Aux mode is 8 hrs).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Figured I'd make it all compatible with my Samsung Tv and Samsung Blu-Ray player. [ Terry Mar 10, 2017 ]
4 questions already asked
No. It does not support Airplay. You can control the speaker from your iOS device using the Samsung app and the speaker also offers built-in Bluetooth for streaming directly from your Bluetooth capable devices (iPod touch, iPhone and iPad all feature Bluetooth). [ Ryan Aug 26, 2017 ] Staff
Thanks for your question. Crutchfield would not carry the individual AC adapter. You may want to contact the manufacturer for further assistance. Samsung's Customer Support number is 800-726-7864. Hope this helps. [ Kenny Jul 28, 2017 ] Staff
Got one some time back for our daughter and works just fine with her iPhone 6. [ Garrott Apr 13, 2017 ]
I USE THE SPEEKER WITH MY SMART PHONE ALL THE TIME. [ Carla Apr 12, 2017 ]
The Samsung WAM1500 Radiant360 R1 speakers can be used as wireless speakers when paired to a Wi-Fi enabled Samsung Soundbar. The HW-K550 model doesn't have built-in Wi-Fi, and wouldn't support the wireless connection of these Radiant360 speakers. However, you can expand the HW-K550 soundbar & sub system by adding Samsung's SWA-8000S Wireless Surround Kit (sold separately). For more information or to discuss further, feel free to reach out to an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. I hope that helps! [ Larry Nov 15, 2016 ] Staff