12-channel multi-room power amplifier
Item # 190SI1230 | MFR # FG00737
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Niles SI-1230
Planning a whole-house audio system? Take a look at the SI-1230. You can customize this powerful 12-channel amp to best suit your specific multi-room setup. Enjoy warm stereo sound in six rooms, or combine two channels into one to give your speakers more juice — a great option for power-hungry outdoor speakers. Use a single channel of power for mono sound in smaller listening areas, like a closet or bathroom.
Enjoy music throughout your house
The '1230 can distribute music from one audio source, like a CD changer, to multiple rooms in your home. Or you can connect additional sources directly to the '1230 and assign each one to a single listening room. And by adding one or more preamps to your system, you can send additional sources to more than one listening room.
Serious whole-house audio power
This amplifier provides your system with an impressive amount of power for big, room-filling sound. Driven simultaneously, all 12 channels produce 30 watts RMS, or 360 watts total. "Bridging" or combining adjacent channels gives you 80 watts for each bridged pair, or 480 watts total.
- 30 watts RMS per channel into 8 Ohms, all channels driven
- 42 watts RMS per channel into 4 Ohms, all channels driven
- adjacent channels are bridgeable to 80 watts RMS into 8 Ohms, all channels driven
- four audio options for each channel: left, right, left plus right (mono), or the channel's dedicated input
- independent level controls for each channel
- three turn-on modes: music sense, voltage trigger and manual
- binding posts spaced to accommodate dual banana plugs
- 6 independent turn-on circuits for multi-zone applications
- cascade outputs for "daisy-chaining" amplifiers
- independent protection circuits for each channel
- UL/CSA approved
- detachable AC power cord
- 17"W x 51/2"H x 15"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 12-channel power amplifier
- 6.3' two-pronged AC cord
- Instruction manual
- Warranty and registration card
I purchased this amp to power 6 sets of speakers connected to a Denon receiver. The power is nice and the sound is crisp. The auto shut off feature is nice.
LB, Barrington, IL
Niles SI-1230 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Number of Channels||12|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||30|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||37|
|Bridged Power per Channel||6 x 80 watts|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||13|
Twelve to Six channel configurable power: Each of this unit's six adjacent output pairs are bridgeable, allowing you to create up to six 80 watt channels. This allows you to allocate more power to specific locations such as large rooms or outdoors.
BusMatrix selector: Allows you to assign each channel to a common left, right or mono signal bus or to a dedicated signal input. This makes this an ideal unit for multi-room or multi-zone systems.
Independent level controls: Each channel has its own level control allowing you to limit the output and to precisely match the amplifier to the rest of your system.
Three turn-on modes: Three turn-on modes allow you to interface with any kind of system and have the amplifier automatically turn on.
Automatic thermal and short circuit protection for each channel: If there is a problem with one channel the other channels can continue to play.
Control Output: A 12 volt DC output allows you to operate voltage-triggered devices such as motorized screens and curtains.
High quality parts: Uses 1% metal film resistors, high quality capacitors and oversized heat sinks.
- Master power switch: turns unit on and off
- Power LED: Illuminates in red when the unit is connected to AC and the master power switch is on.
- Active LED: Illuminates in red when the amplifier circuitry is turned on by the turn on circuits.
- Protect LED: Illuminates in red when the unit is in a fault condition (D.C. output).
- Turn-on mode switch: Allows you to select one of three modes. Constant mode defeats the turn-on circuitry and the front panel master power switch turns the unit on and off. Audio sense mode turns the amplifier off when no audio signal is present for two minutes and on whenever an audio signal is present (it turns on the adjacent pair of amplifier channels that have a signal present, such as 1 and 2 . 3-30 volt AC/DC Trigger mode turns the unit off when no AC or DC voltage is detected at the trigger input and turns on all adjacent channel pairs when a voltage and a line level audio signal is detected at an adjacent channel pair.
- 3-30V AC/DC trigger input: 3.5mm female jack for voltage input. If a unit which outputs 3-30V AC or DC voltage is connected to this input and the turn-on mode is set to Trigger mode the unit turns on when it detects the signal and turns off when the signal stops. Voltage triggers are supplied by some Niles automated switchers, some video projectors or even a 16 volt Niles AC wall adapter (Niles XF00008).
- 12 volt control output: Female 3.5mm jack. This jack provides a 12V DC signal used for triggering Niles automated switchers, some motorized screens, curtains, etc. When the amplifier is turn off this jack stops sending out the 12V DC signal.
- Main Bus input: Gold plated RCA stereo input. This signal can be routed to any of the twelve channels using the DIP switch found on each channel.
- Cascade bus output: Gold plated RCA stereo output (marked Cascade output) which allows you to daisy chain multiple amplifiers. This output is not buffered so if you want to chain more than 5 amplifiers a buffered distribution amplifier like the Niles ADA-6 is needed.
- Independent level adjustment rotary knobs: Allow you to preset the maximum system volume or match levels with another amplifier for each of the twelve channels.
- Bridge switches: Six switches allow you to bridge adjacent amplifier channels to create up to 6 bridged channels. Note that minimum speaker impedance in bridged mode is 8 ohms.
- BusMatrix control switches: 12 4-pin DIP switches (one per channel) allows you to assign a particular source to each channel. You can select the signal from the main Bus input and select either Left, Right or Mono (left and right) or you can select the signal going to that channel's dedicated input. Note that only one signal source should be selected per channel.
- Individual input jacks: 12 gold-plated RCA jacks, one per channel.
- Speaker outputs: Left and Right Binding posts for 12 channels (not five-way due to a metal collar) accept up to 12 gauge bare wire or banana plugs.
- AC jack: For the supplied AC line cord.
Continuous Average Power Output (unbridged):
- 30 watts per channel RMS at 8 ohms all channels driven
- 37 watts per channel RMS at 4 ohms
- Minimum impedance load of 4 ohms
Continuous Average Power Output (bridged):
- Two channels bridged, all channels driven: 80 watts per channel RMS at 8 ohms.
- Minimum impedance load of 8 ohms when bridged
Input Impedance: 10k ohms
Input sensitivity: .334mv for full output (30 watts)
Overall voltage gain: 32.4dB
Frequency response: Bandwidth limited from 5 Hz to 50 kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion:
- 8 Ohms: .04% THD from 20 Hz to 20 kHz all channels driven (unbridged)
- 4 Ohms: .06% THD from 20 Hz to 20 kHz all channels driven (unbridged)
- 8 Ohms: .06% THD from 20 Hz to 20 kHz all channels driven (bridged)
Weight: 28 lbs.
The manual recommends at least 5" of free air space above the chassis and that, if the unit is placed in a cabinet, that the rear of the cabinet be opened.