7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X
Item # 158ZA810ES | MFR # STRZA810ES
Price break: -$100.00
$699.99 Earn up to 700 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Sony STR-ZA810ES by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Next-level home theater
The Sony STR-ZA810ES combines cutting-edge home theater with flexible configurability and easy control. This feature-packed, installation-friendly receiver is a great match for the latest 4K TVs and Blu-ray players. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X decoding delivers 360-degree surround sound for a lifelike movie experience in your living room.
Take control with your mobile device
Enjoy convenient control with your phone or tablet. Sony's SongPal app is a free download for your Apple® or Android™ device. And if you have a Google Home voice controller, you can use it for hands-free control of music playback and volume.
Wireless listening made easy
The STR-ZA810ES gives you all kinds of wireless listening choices. Chromecast built-in lets you use your phone, tablet, or computer to stream music from over 100 audio apps to the receiver. Apple AirPlay lets you stream from a compatible iOS® device, and Bluetooth adds even more wireless music options. Plus, you can stream audio from the receiver to a set of Bluetooth headphones — great for late-night listening.
Flexible speaker connections for the system you want
The STR-ZA810ES has connections for nine speakers, and can power up to seven speakers at once. You can set up a standard 7.2-channel surround sound system, or you can reassign the surround back channels to be used as height channels in a Dolby Atmos system. You can also use these channels to power a second pair of front "B" speakers, or to bi-amp your main front speakers for more powerful sound. Powered Zone 2 outputs let you set up a stereo system in another room. Choosing one of these options gives you 5.2-channel surround sound in your home theater.
Powerful processing for optimal sound
Special processing lets you take full advantage of the STR-ZA810ES's flexible features. The receiver's Phantom Surround Back speaker setting replicates the sound of rear speakers for 7-channel sound from a 5-speaker setup.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 90 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping surround sound
- supports a 5.1.2 Atmos system
- DTS:X for an immersive, 3-dimensional soundstage
- DCAC EX auto calibration with virtual speaker relocation for easy, accurate speaker setup even in tricky spaces
- Phantom Surround Back speaker setting replicates 7-channel surround sound with only 5 speakers
- In-Ceiling Speaker mode virtually relocates sound from front and center in-ceiling speakers to the front of the room for improved synchronization with your TV
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Spotify Connect® (subscription required)
- Chromecast built-in for streaming music from the cloud with compatible mobile apps
- supported apps include Pandora, Spotify®, iHeartRadio, Google Play Music, TIDAL, and TuneIn radio
- Apple® AirPlay® for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
- plays high-resolution DSD and PCM digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (DSD: up to 5.6MHz; PCM: up to 24-bit/192kHz)
- DSEE HX technology upscales your music to near high-resolution sound quality
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from a compatible phone, tablet, or computer
- Bluetooth wireless audio transmission to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- NFC compatible for one-touch pairing with compatible smartphones
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB storage devices
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered stereo audio output for 2nd room (using powered 2nd room output allows 5.2-channel home theater in main room)
- line-level stereo audio output for Zone 2 for use with a separate power amplifier
- HDMI dual-zone switching for watching video content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- HDMI 2.0a audio/video switching: 6 in, 2 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (all inputs and monitor outputs)
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from a USB memory device
- composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
- 3 analog stereo audio inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- stereo RCA Zone 2 outputs
- outputs for 9 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Zone 2 L/R)
- receiver can power a maximum of 7 channels at once
- Surround Back channel outputs can also be used as Front Height or Front B speakers, or to bi-amp compatible front speakers
- IR and RS232C connections for use with external controllers
- Ethernet port
- 1/4" headphone jack
- 4K and 3D pass-through
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- free Sony SongPal app lets you use your Apple or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi remote
- SongPal Link wirelessly connects compatible Sony components for whole-home audio
- works with Google Home voice-activated controller
- BRAVIA® Sync™ for one-remote operation with compatible Sony components
- intuitive on-screen user interface (via HDMI only)
- dual Wi-Fi antennas
- 30 FM presets
- remote control
- 17"W x 6-1/8"H x 14-9/16"D
- weight: 20.1 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Wireless remote control (RMT-AA320U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone
- FM wire antenna
- Operating Instructions
- Startup Guide
- "Before Connecting Speakers" note
- "How To Set Up The SongPal App" instructions
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration
Wonderful receiver loaded with options. This is my third ES receiver over the years. Paired well with my Polk 350 Blackstone TL350 Speakers.
Adam, Andover, MN
Sony STR-ZA810ES Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
ES (Elevated Standard) Series: The Sony STR-ZA810ES AV receiver is part of Sony's ES (Elevated Standard) line-up. The AV receiver's incredible sound quality comes from care and craftsmanship with the ultimate goal of creating powerful sound while eliminating distortion.
- Every detail from the electronic component selection, to special 2nd generation ES solder, structural/chassis elements, and even screw placement has been scrutinized and tuned in the higher interest of reliably consistent sound performance
- The STR-ZA810ES offers improved structural stability for better sound via the analogue signal path. This circuit is located on a glass epoxy board, in order to achieve higher speed and power
- Dispersing the load between three DSPs allows the realization of clarity and realistic ambience by reducing noise.
Note: The Sony ES receiver comes with an industry leading 5-year parts and labor warranty, 90-day advanced exchange program, and dedicated toll-free support line staffed by CEDIA-trained product experts (1-877-619-7669; Monday - Friday 10am - 7pm ET).
Assignable 7-Channel Discrete Amplifier: The Sony STR-ZA810ES AV receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 90 watts (into 6-ohms, at 20-20khz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels). For greater stability and output power a glass-epoxy circuit board is used. Unlike cheaper resin boards, internal vibrations are reduced for less distortion, just clear high power from each of the discrete amplifiers. The AV receiver's Surround Back/Height amplifier channels can be configured to accommodate a variety of home theater setups.
- 7.1Ch: The Sony STR-ZA810ES provides 7.1ch surround in your main listening area with dedicated Surround Back speakers. Allows you to enjoy high-fidelity reproduction of Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD (High-Resolution Audio or Master Audio).
- 7.1ch + Zone 2: In this setup, you can hook up a 7.1ch speaker system in the main room and a pair of speakers in Zone 2 to the receiver. When Zone 2 is off, all seven channels of your home theater system will be powered. However, when Zone 2 is turned on, power to the Surround Back speakers will be cut off and directed to the pair of speakers in Zone; limiting you to only 5.1ch surround in the main room.
- 5.1.2Ch: A Dolby Atmos 5.1.2ch speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1ch speaker layout (Front, Center, Surround) complemented by two Front Height, Overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. In this configuration, the receiver's Surround Back/Height amplifier channels are used to power the Dolby Atmos speaker channels.
- 5.1.2Ch + Zone 2: In this setup, you can hook up a 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos speaker system in the main room and a pair of speakers in Zone 2 to the receiver. When Zone 2 is off, all seven channels of your Dolby Atmos speaker system will be powered. However, when Zone 2 is turned on, power to the Front Height, Overhead, or Dolby Atmos speakers will be cut off and directed to the pair of speakers in Zone; limiting you to only 5.1ch surround in the main room.
- 5.1Ch + Zone 2: The receiver is able to power a 5.1ch speaker system (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R) in the main listening area, while powering Zone 2 speakers in a second room. Surround Back or Height speakers are not available.
- 5.1Ch Bi-Amp: The Surround Back/Height speaker channels can be reassigned and used along with the Front channels to bi-amp the front speakers, providing improved bass & treble performance. When bi-amping the front speakers the receiver is limited to a 5.1ch speaker system in the main room (no Surround Back or Height speakers).
- 5.1Ch + Front B: With a 5.1ch home theater setup in the main listening room, a second pair of front speakers for dedicated 2ch music playback can be powered by the receiver's Surround Back/Height amplifier channels.
DCAC (Digital Cinema Auto Calibration) EX w/ APM (Automatic Phase Matching): The Sony STR-ZA810ES is equipped with DCAC (Digital Cinema Auto Calibration) EX technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position, check for phase, and distinguish frequency characteristics of each speaker.
Note: You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: 3 powerful DSP (digital signal processors) support the latest 3D surround sound formats, ensuring the highest accuracy in signal decoding. The AV receiver supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||8ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|DSD||2ch, 2.8 MHz, 1-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution|
|Optical/Coaxial||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||6ch, 32-96Hz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
Immersive Surround Sound: The Sony STR-ZA810ES AV receiver goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats - including Dolby Atmos, Dolby Surround, DTS:X, and DTS Neural:X.
- Dolby Atmos: With Dolby Atmos, sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. The STR-ZA810ES has the processing power to run a more enveloping 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos layout utilizing ceiling mounted or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (sold separately). A 5.1.2ch speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch or multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- DTS:X: DTS:X will be enabled through an online firmware update coming later this year. DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space.
- DTS Neural:X: DTS Neural:X will be enabled through an online firmware update coming later this year. DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
Direct Stream Digital (DSD): Enjoy studio-quality sound thanks to the Direct Stream Digital (DSD) audio codec; designed specifically for High-Resolution Audio. This 1-bit format utilizes a stream of very high frequency 1s and 0s to recreate audio waveforms at a higher resolution than conventional codecs. The result is clearer, crisper, High-Resolution Audio quality. The STR-ZA810ES supports DSD 2.8/5.6MHz (2ch) decoding thru USB & DLNA, as well as DSD 2.8/5.6MHz (up to 5.1ch) decoding thru HDMI.
Direct & Headphone Modes: The Sony AV receiver offers two Direct audio modes and a Headphone 2ch for higher fidelity sound.
- Analog Direct: The receiver's Analog Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
- Pure Direct: To further enhance sound quality, the receiver's Pure Direct mode not only bypasses the tone and DSP processing, but also turns off the front-panel display to suppress any noise which may affect sound quality.
- HP 2CH: This mode is selected automatically if you use headphones. Standard 2-channel stereo sources completely bypass the sound field processing and multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2 channels except LFE signals
Audio Enhancements: The Sony STR-ZA810ES incorporates many different types of audio technologies to help your system sound its best whether you are enjoying high-resolution or compressed audio files.
- DSEE HX: The Digital Sound Enhancement Engine HX (DSEE HX) upscales your 2ch stereo 44.1kHz or 48kHz digital music files and takes them closer to the quality of High-Resolution Audio. By restoring the high-range sound lost in the compression process, DSEE HX produces your digital music files in rich, natural sound, closer to the quality of the original recording.
- D.L.L. (Digital Legato Linear): The Digital Legato Linear function is a Sony proprietary technology that allows low quality digital audio signals and analog audio signal to be played back with high quality sound.
- Sound Optimizer: The Sound Optimizer lets you enjoy clear and dynamic sound at low volume levels. It automatically calibrates the sound which cannot be heard well when you turn down the volume level. After Auto Calibration is performed, the sound level is optimized to suit your environment.
- Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
Flexible Speaker Solutions: Sony's flexible speaker solutions "relocate" sound to simulate the optimal position and angle for the best audio experience, working around any physical space restrictions. The Sony STR-ZA810ES offers several unique flexible speakers solutions when you can't accommodate a conventional 5.2ch or 7.2ch speaker setup in your room.
- Front Surround: The AV receiver's S-Force PRO front surround mode delivers a virtual surround acoustic field using only 2.1 channels (a pair of front speakers & powered sub). So there is no need to place rear speakers behind you.
- Phantom Surround Back: The Phantom Surround Back speaker setting replicates the immersive sound of physical Surround Back speakers, enabling you to enjoy a 7 channel surround sound experience with only a 5 channel speaker setup.
- In-Ceiling Speaker Mode: This feature will virtually re-locate the Front and Center speakers of your in-ceiling speakers to around the screen. Now you will hear their characters' voices coming from the screen instead of the ceiling. This mode also makes music sound more natural and rich in the room with in-ceiling speakers.
Center Lift Up & DTS:X Dialog Control: The Center Life Up feature reproduces a natural sound that feels more authentic by lifting the sound from the center speaker up to the height of the screen. The DTS:X Dialog Control function adjusts the dialog levels over background sound during playback of a DTS:X soundtrack.
Audio Outputs: The Sony STR-ZA810ES is fitted with the following audio outputs.
- Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The receiver is equipped with binding post terminals for all speaker channels. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10 AWG), pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only). Use speakers with a 6- to 16-ohm impedance.
- Dual Sub Outputs: The AV receiver is fitted with two subwoofer preamp outputs to connect dual powered subs (the subwoofer outputs share the same input signal and are not discrete).
- Front-Panel Headphone Jack: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
HDMI 2.0a: The receiver is equipped with six HDMI 2.0a inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video component; such as your satellite/cable receiver, Blu-ray/DVD player, and game system. The receiver's HDMI 2.0a jacks are compatible with 4K/60Hz video, HDR (High Dynamic Range), 4:4:4 color subsampling (not front-panel), BT.2020 video, & HDCP 2.2.
- 4K/60Hz Pass-Through: 4K/60Hz pass-through allows the Sony STR-ZA810ES to receive ultra high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K/60Hz compatible TV or display monitor.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the receiver's HDMI jacks. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail. This receiver supports the HDR 10 format right out of the box. It requires an already available firmware update for Dolby Vision and HLG.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The receiver's rear-panel HDMI jacks support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4 color subsampling for more vibrant and lifelike images, as well as YCbCr 4:2:2 and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling. With 4:4:4, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: The HDMI In and HDMI Out jacks (except the HDMI 1 Input) support bandwidth up to 18 Gbps. The HDMI 1 Input jack only supports bandwidth up to 9 Gbps.
Dual HDMI Outputs: There are two HDMI 2.0a outputs that feed audio/video signals to up to two TVs. You can toggle or simultaneously output the same video between two displays, such as two televisions or a television plus a projector. Or you can setup the second HDMI output as a Zone 2 output, so you can view a different audio/video source in another room of your home (video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs).
1080p to 4K Upscale for HDMI: The Sony AV receiver's HDMI upscale function improves image quality of 1080p high-def sources to ultra-HD 4K. You can upscale 1080p HDMI input video signals to 4K and output them through the main HDMI monitor output jack of the receiver. The HDMI B/Zone output does not support upscaling.
Color Technologies: The Sony STR-ZA810ES incorporates Triluminos Color & Deep Color technologies for perfect color and smooth gradation.
- Triluminos Color: The Sony receiver incorporates Sony's Triluminos Color technology to create a heightened sense of depth and incredibly true, natural shades of colors. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better too, with natural skin tones.
- Deep Color: The Sony receiver also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed.
Other HDMI Features: Other HDMI features of the Sony STR-ZA810ES receiver include ARC, HDMI Standby Pass-Through, AV Sync, and 3D video.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the receiver's main HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver.
- A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay can be adjusted from 0-300 ms or set to Auto.
- 3D-Ready: The Sony AV receiver supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
Composite Video: The Sony receiver offers two composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output that support up to 480i video. The composite video inputs must be out through the receiver's composite video monitor output (there is no HDMI upconversion).
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony STR-ZA810ES AV receiver features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) port and built-in WiFi that allow you to connect the receiver to your home network via a hardwired or wireless connection. By connecting the AV receiver to your home network you are able to stream select online music services from Google Cast and audio files stored on your window-based PC to your home audio system. The Sony AV receiver offers an on-screen setup wizard to configure the receiver to your home's network. The following system environment is required to use the network function of this receiver.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services and to use the software update function of the receiver.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network. 802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz compatible wireless router for WiFi connection.
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast built-in lets you instantly stream a variety of music apps from your Apple (iOS 7.0+) or Android (OS 2.3+) mobile device to the Sony AV receiver. Chromecast built-in works over WiFi and allows you to connect more than one device at a time to the AV receiver, as well as control what's playing from anywhere in the house with your compatible mobile device.
- Supported Content: Chromecast built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), Tidal, Google Play Music, and more. Click here for a complete list of compatible apps. You can even wirelessly stream exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet through the Sony AV receiver. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
- Simple-to-Use: Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast Built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the Sony AV receiver. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the receiver's speaker system.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Sony AV receiver from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (iOS 4.3.3+), or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your PC or Mac to the Sony STR-ZA810ES, over your home network connection. By downloading Apple's free Remote app onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles and artist info via the Sony receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
DLNA Certified: The Sony STR-ZA810ES is DLNA certified. By connecting the Sony STR-ZA810ES to your home's network, you can listen to variety of compressed & hi-res music files and view still-image files on your Windows PC (w/ Windows Media Player 11 or 12) or a DLNA (ver.1.5) compatible media server through the receiver and your home entertainment system. It can recognize up to a total of 999 network files/folders. Compatible music & photo files include -
- Hi-Res: FLAC (44.1-192k; 16/24-bit), AIFF (32-192kHz; 16/24-bit), WAV (8-48kHz; 16/24-bit), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz; 1-bit)
- Lossless: ALAC (32-96kHz; 16/24-bit)
- Compressed: MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), AAC (48-320kbps)
- Still-Images: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP
FM Tuner: The STR-ZA810ES has 30 presets FM radio stations. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name. There is no AM tuner on this receiver.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Sony STR-ZA810ES AV receiver features built-in Bluetooth 4.1 (A2DP 1.2 & AVRCP 1.5) for wireless audio streaming and control. The STR-ZA810ES can act as a Bluetooth receiver in order to wirelessly stream music from an audio device, or a Bluetooth transmitter in order to wirelessly stream music to a set of BT-enabled headphones.
- Receiver Mode: In receiver mode, you'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth source device to the Sony receiver. You'll also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the receiver's remote control. Song/artist information is displayed on the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). In addition to support for Bluetooth standard SBC codec and Apple's AAC codec, the receiver also supports Sony's newest LDAC codec. LDAC is a new audio technology from Sony that allows you to enjoy high quality wireless audio via Bluetooth. With 3x the data transmitted (compared to regular Bluetooth), LDAC provides an enhanced wireless listening experience for all your music.
- Transmitter Mode: In Transmitter mode, you can enjoy listening to audio from the AV receiver's built-in FM tuner, network streaming content, online music services from Google Cast Audio and SongPal, as well as connected sources through a set of Bluetooth headphones. The receiver's connected speakers are muted when transmitting audio wirelessly over Bluetooth to a set of headphones.
- Simple Pairing: The STR-ZA810ES pairs wirelessly and effortlessly with Bluetooth-enabled devices and headphones (up to 9) with a single press of a button. Android (OS 4.0+) smartphones that have Near Field Communication (NFC) pair simply by touching the Android device's NFC tag to the receiver's NFC tag on the front-panel. For older Android (OS 2.3.3+)smartphones, you'll need to download the NFC Easy Connect app from Google Play to use the head unit's NFC pairing function. Once paired, the AV receiver will automatically re-connect to your device or headphone when within range (up to 33').
Front-Panel USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of compressed & hi-res music files and still-image files from a USB mass storage class memory device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The receiver can recognize up to 500 total files/folders. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music or photo files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music & photo files include -
- Hi-Res: FLAC (44.1-192k; 16/24-bit), AIFF (32-192kHz; 16/24-bit), WAV (8-48kHz; 16/24-bit), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz; 1-bit)
- Lossless: ALAC (32-96kHz; 16/24-bit)
- Compressed: MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), AAC (48-320kbps)
- Still-Images: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP
Note: The receiver's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android smartphones/tablets.
Zone 2: Zone 2 features line-level and speaker-level outputs. Zone 2 can be powered by a separate amplifier (keeping 7.1ch playback in your main room) or by the STR-ZA810ES's built-in amplifier (limiting the main room to 5.1ch). The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Sony receiver using either configuration or from your add-on integrated amplifier when using the line-output.
- Compatible Sources: Tuner, Analog, USB, Home Network (including AirPlay & DLNA), Music Services (including Spotify Connect & Chromecast built-in) and Bluetooth input sources are supported in Zone 2 via line-level or speaker-level output. When selecting USB, Home Network, Music Services, or Bluetooth from the main zone and Zone 2, priority is given to the choice which has most recently been selected; even if a different choice has already been selected in one of the zones. Different AM/FM stations cannot be played back in the Main Zone and Zone 2.
- Incompatible Sources: Analog & HDMI video input sources, as well as HDMI audio & Optical/Coaxial digital input sources cannot be output to Zone 2 via line-level or speaker-level. DSD music files via USB or DLNA cannot be output via Zone 2.
HDMI Zone: The Sony AV receiver provides a HDMI Zone output, so two different HDMI audio/video input feeds can be sent to two different displays at the same time directly from the receiver. The HDMI Zone will also output 2ch audio signals (multi-channel audio is downmixed) for the HDMI input source selected, while maintain multichannel audio in the main zone (if you select the same HDMI source in the Main Zone and the HDMI Zone, then both zones will be limited to 2ch). If you connect TVs that have different resolutions in the Main Zone and HDMI Zone, but select the same HDMI input for both zones, the video signals output to each TV are limited to the lower resolution TV.
- Compatible Sources: Only rear-panel HDMI input sources are supported by the receiver's HDMI Zone function.
- Incompatible Sources: The front-panel HDMI input, AM/FM tuner, Analog video, USB, Bluetooth, Home Network, Music Services, and Optical/Coaxial sources are not supported by the receiver's HDMI Zone function.
Wireless Multiroom Audio: The STR-ZA810ES AV receiver also supports wireless multiroom audio streaming via Sony's Music Center app (previously called SongPal Link). With the Sony Music Center app on your Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.4+ device, you can link multiple Sony Music Center & SongPal compatible devices (sold separately) together to create zones, allowing you to stream the same or different audio sources from the app to multiple rooms throughout your house over your home's WiFi network. Compatible music sources include -
- Music stored on a USB thumbdrive/flashdrive, computer/laptop, or smartphone/tablet.
- Internet radio & online music services.
- Source devices connected to the HDMI, Optical/Coaxial digital, or Analog inputs of the receiver.
- TVs compatible with the Audio Return Channel (ARC) function and connected to the receiver's HDMI Out A.
Note: Bluetooth, AirPlay, & DSD audio are not supported by the receiver's wireless multiroom audio feature.
Chromecast Built-in Multiroom: Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast Built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song from a compatible Chromecast music app throughout your house at the same time. Friends and family can even use their own Chromecast compatible phone or tablet to cast music to you system by connecting to your home's WiFi network.
Google Home Voice Commands: With the Google Home voice-activated speaker (8064658762, sold separately) and the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 4.2+), you can use your voice to control select functions of the Sony AV receiver. With a simple voice command, you can play music from Chromecast compatible music services by artist, song, genre, album, playlist, mood or activity. You can also turn up the volume, skip to the next track, or stop the music - all without lifting a finger.
Remote Apps: The Sony STR-ZA810ES offers remote control from your Apple iOS or Android device via Sony's Music Center (formerly called SongPal) or Video & TV SideView apps.
- Music Center (SongPal) App: Download Sony's free Music Center (SongPal) app onto your Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.4+ device to control the AV receiver from your mobile device via a Bluetooth or WiFi connection. From the Music Center (SongPal) app, you can select input sources and customize sound settings of the Sony AV receiver. You'll also be able to browse music stored on your Network, Computer, or a USB mass storage class device from the Music Center (SongPal) app on your compatible smartphone. In addition, you can access stored music and other apps on your smartphone using the Music Center (SongPal) app. The Music Center (SongPal) app will display song/artist information and album art.
- Video & TV SideView App: You can also control the receiver using Sony's Video & TV SideView app on your Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.2+ mobile device. This app can also be used to control select Sony Smart TVs.
IR Remote w/ Bravia Sync: The supplied IR remote is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders. Sony's Bravia Sync feature allows you to easily manage select Sony televisions and Sony HDMI audio/video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
- Theater Mode Sync: Allows you to switch the AV receiver's Theater mode from the receiver's, TV, or connected Blu-ray disc player's remote control, while pointing the remote toward your television.
Control System Integration: The STR-ZA810ES is controllable over IP, includes RS-232C port, and offers an IR input/output for more installation options.
- IP Control: You can control this AV receiver from a web control screen on your laptop, computer, tablet, or smartphone's web browser. The STR-ZA810ES and your web browser device must be connected to the same home network.
- RS-232C Port: The STR-ZA810ES includes an RS-232C port for connection to external whole-house control systems, from companies such as Crestron, Control 4, and Savant.
- IR In/Out: The Sony AV receiver is equipped with one IR input and one IR output enabling you to operate components connected to the receiver behind a closed door.
Advanced On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Wizard (via HDMI): You can display the receiver's on-screen menu on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. You can easily access and manage your input devices and settings with this intuitive 6-panel "activity based" on-screen menu. The STR-ZA810ES on-screen, set-up wizard will take you through everything you need to create and control your home theater experience. The on-screen menu is only available from the receiver's HDMI output. If your TV is connected to the composite video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Custom Presets: The Sony AV receiver features four Custom Presets that are accessible through the on-screen menu. Selecting a Custom Preset will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of a source input; such as powering on the receiver, switching to the appropriate source input, and recalling the selected DSP surround mode. The presets are pre-configured, but can also be manually reconfigured to your preference. Customer Preset 1 & 2 have dedicated buttons on the remote control for even quicker access.
Input Mode & Name: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch. You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Auto Standby & Sleep Timer: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 20 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver. The unit may also be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Software Update: By downloading the latest version of software from Sony, you can take advantage of the newest functions. The receiver accesses the Sony server to update the software through its network connection. Visit the Sony eSupport website for the latest software updates.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Sony quality experienced through the years, dimensions of the product for the intended location, price point promises to reflect desired mix of features and parts quality. [ charles Jul 20, 2018 ]
I always have liked the Sony ES line. [ Michael May 28, 2018 ]
2nd room digital A/V, 5 yr warranty, previous reviews. Will look and sound fantastic with Sony 55X930E and 7:1 Klipsch speakers [ MICHAEL W May 28, 2018 ]
I chose the Sony STR-ZA810ES in hopes that the "HDMI ON" feature will work properly with my Sony TV, model XBR-65X900E. I currently use a new Yamaha AV receiver, model RX-A1070 with this TV. Unfortunately, the HDMI ON feature does not work properly. It tends to change the input randomly to AUDIO1. When that happens I have to pick up the Yamaha remote and switch the input back to AV2, that is where my Directv box is connected. I had the same problem with the Yamaha RX-A770. [ G Mar 05, 2018 ]
It had more than enough options. Most I need now and some I might need later. [ RANDY R Feb 13, 2018 ]
I love the sound and quality of the Sony ES line. [ Jackie Jan 15, 2018 ]
replacement for old Sony ES Receiver [ Cathy Dec 12, 2017 ]
My Sony ES system is 20 years old and I need HDMI connections. Extremely satisfied with Sony ES products [ James Nov 27, 2017 ]
Upgrade my system which is mostly Sony-based. Has all recent video/audio formats/standards including Atmos. It is a better built with somewhat better specs than the similar $120-cheaper Sony STR-DN1080 which has excellent reviews. [ Aviezer Nov 09, 2017 ]
hi res audio, 4k video, usb front input to play audio files, es quality [ james Oct 22, 2017 ]
Upgrade to receiver with Zone 2 capability. [ Donald Sep 24, 2017 ]
It has good reviews and I needed a Sony to go with speakers that are already installed in the house I have purchased. I wanted to buy from a small business vs. buying it for the same price from Amazon. Thanks for the option! I also read your customer service is excellent! [ Brenda Jul 12, 2017 ]
Good selection vs. other available receivers [ Jimmy Jun 16, 2017 ]
4K video capable; ES quality; good experience with Sony ES receiver in the past [ Jens Jun 11, 2017 ]
I really wanted this to match my new Google Home, so I can integrate my home network. [ Jack Jun 08, 2017 ]
On sale in the catalog [ Jeff Jun 04, 2017 ]
Sony ES quality and dual zone/dual HDMI support. Great value. [ Brian Jun 01, 2017 ]
To have Great Sound in my Motor Home [ ANTHONY F May 20, 2017 ]
9 questions already asked
After months of trying I couldn't get the second zone to work. The instructions are very cryptic on the subject as well. [ Jeff Jul 16, 2018 ]
Yes, in the set up menu you can turn on or off whatever speaker outs you want (maybe with the exception of the front main speakers). [ MacFarlane Jun 10, 2018 ]
Absolutely! The preamp is able to biamp the front speakers. [ Steve Jun 10, 2018 ]
Your choice; just go to sound field and select what sounds best for you. Should not default to multi-channel. Dolby surround works for me. [ JONATHAN A Apr 04, 2018 ]
Always use Dolby. It will show you that it is a Dolby Digital signal and then the screen will scroll how many channels, which is why you see Multi-channel 7.1 or 7.2 depending on your speaker setup. I use Dolby Atmos. When I am sending a Dolby Atmos signal it will say Dolby Atmos and then 7.1 Multi Channel. [ Jack Apr 04, 2018 ]
With my system I prefer multi channel for sports and dolby surround for movies. But it seems different video services(cable or stream) have different audio output levels, thus high quality services have the best sound. [ Bryan Apr 04, 2018 ]
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Krissy Feb 07, 2018 ] Staff
1 answer In the documentation that I see The Sony STR-ZA81- reads ....... (The receiver allows you to enjoy a surround-sound effect acoustically equivalent to that of up to a 7.1.2-channel speaker system when you select [Type A] or [Type B] for [SpeakerRelocation/PhantomSurroundBack] in the [Speaker Settings] menu. When setting [SpeakerRelocation/PhantomSurroundBack], perform Auto Calibration beforehand.) ........... Does this mean that I am able to add an additional 2 speakers on my ceiling and if so are they wired on the Zone 2 posts??? [ Lawrence Nov 13, 2017 ]
I believe this is referring to the "Phantom Surround Back" setting which replicates the immersive sound of physical Surround Back speakers. This does not provide the ability to connect two additional speakers to your system; it simply allows customers to enjoy a 7 channel surround sound experience with only a 5 channel speaker system. For more details or to discuss further, please contact an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat. Thanks! [ Larry Nov 16, 2017 ] Staff
I found on Sony's site that they have a firmware update for the STR-ZA810ES receiver (released on 9/27/17) which offers the following improvements from the previous version: -Adds support for Dolby Vision pass through -Adds support for Multi-room Group Sync -Enables a feature to allow for future maintenance in the Spotify Connect app I couldn't find anything pertaining to HLG or "Dolby Vision 5" though. For more details on that, or to discuss further, please feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000). Thanks! [ Larry Oct 19, 2017 ] Staff
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Kenny May 27, 2017 ] Staff
The Sony does not offer the ability to control your lights and blinds but, you can control it and just about any other networkable products in your home with a system like "Simple Control": https://www.crutchfield.com/p_233SCRB110/Simple-Control-Simple-System.html?tp=75186 For additional assistance and personalized recommendations, feel free to contact the Crutchfield A/V Design Group: https://www.crutchfield.com/Institutional/diy.aspx [ Ryan May 31, 2017 ] Staff
I'm not sure what you mean by automation, not being much of a techie. I set mine up over the weekend and it went well, very easy, but don't bother with the manual beyond the first two pages. I set everything viewing on the TV screen. I ran the sound calibration process with the device that is included but then adjusted some of the settings to my taste and this will be ongoing for a time. The unit does switch between TV sound and surround and sounds really good at low volume (my neighbor has a newborn). [ Steven H May 30, 2017 ]
Per Sony, YES pursuant to Fall (2017) update: Latest HDR standard such as HDR10, HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma), and Dolby Vision are supported. [ J. Oct 19, 2017 ]
No. The Sony STR-ZA810ES supports the HDR 10 format only. [ Ryan May 25, 2017 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X™
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X