JBL Arena 120
Our take on the JBL Arena 120 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
The Arena 120's HDI waveguide and computer-optimized driver positioning ensure accurate, lifelike sound across a wide listening area.
JBL sound for a song
The Arena 120 bookshelf speakers deliver high-quality JBL performance at a price that won't break the bank. They offer detailed, full-range sound that's great for TV, movies, and music. Each compact cabinet features a 5-1/4" driver for punchy midbass, plus a 1" soft dome tweeter for crystal-clear highs.
Use a pair for stereo music in smaller rooms, or as your front and surround speakers in a compact, high-performance home theater. Their low-profile design and wall-mounting capabilities make them an ideal choice for space-saving systems.
Born from JBL's storied studio heritage
The Arena series' crisp, punchy sound was inspired by JBL's mighty M2 Master Reference Monitor — one of the finest speakers they've ever created. The Arena 120's tweeter uses JBL's proprietary HDI (High Definition Imaging) waveguide technology to help deliver optimum sound quality throughout your room.
Build a complete Arena system
JBL Arena series speakers let you enjoy dramatic and well-defined sound in just about any room. Use a pair to create a high-quality stereo system, or build your own custom home theater speaker system by combining Arena bookshelf or tower speakers with JBL's Arena 125C center channel speaker. And don't forget to add the perfectly matched Arena Sub 100P powered subwoofer to get deep, rumbling bass in the mix.
- 1" soft dome tweeter with HDI (High Definition Imaging) waveguide technology for detailed sound across a wide listening area
- 5-1/4" polycellulose woofer for punchy midbass
- frequency response: 100-40,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 86 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-100 watts
- low-profile design ideal for wall mounting and use as a surround speaker
- acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet design
- computer-optimized driver positioning and crossover network integration for lifelike imaging and soundstaging
- keyhole slots for wall mounting
- binding post speaker terminals
- black wood-grain vinyl finish
- 7-7/16"W x 13-7/16"H x 4-7/16"D
- weight: 7.7 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles (installed)
- 8 Rubber feet
- Owner's Manual
- Wall-mount template
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
The speakers are small but all so powerful. They can be set up anywhere and look good I would highly recommend these speakers to anyone,interested in upgrading their sound system.
Anonymous, Temple Hills, MD
JBL Arena 120 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.5|
|Frequency Response||100-40k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Keyhole|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||28-30|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Driver Design: The JBL Arena 120 bookshelf loudspeaker utilizes a two-way driver design with a single 1" soft-dome tweeter and one 5.5" polycellulose cone woofer, plus a 18db/oct. 2.5kHz crossover. Computer-optimized driver positioning and a precision crossover network result in ideal performance and lifelike soundstage imaging. The JBL Arena 120 bookshelf loudspeaker delivers room-filling sound for movies, TV shows, sports, music, and video games.
High Definition Imaging (HDI) Waveguide: The JBL Arena 120 bookshelf loudspeaker's tweeter incorporates a High Definition Imaging (HDI) Waveguide. This High Definition Imaging (HDI) waveguide technology takes its cues from the legendary JBL M2 Master Reference Monitor. The HDI waveguide aids in the tweeter's ability to produce lifelike clarity & accuracy.
Acoustic Suspension Cabinet: The JBL Arena 120 bookshelf loudspeaker features an acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet for tight, accurate bass performance. The contemporary-styled cabinet features angled side panels and top panels for a sophisticated, modern look. The side panels feature a black wood-grain laminate, while the top panel features a black textured vinyl finish.
Detachable Grille: The included grilles are detachable and feature black cloth with silver plastic trim.
Binding Post Terminals: The JBL Arena 120 bookshelf loudspeaker is fitted with a set of binding-post terminals which will accept bare-wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). The binding-post terminals are gold-plated for maximum signal transfer and resistance to corrosion.
Applications & Placement: The JBL Arena 120 bookshelf loudspeakers can be used as front speakers in a stereo or multichannel audio system, as well as surround speakers in a 5.1ch or 7.1ch system.
- Front Speaker Use: The JBL bookshelf loudspeakers should be placed approximately 6-10' apart and angled between 40-60° toward the listening position. The bookshelf speakers should be positioned so that the tweeters are close to ear level. Generally, bass output will increase as the speaker is moved closer to a wall or corner. JBL recommends that you place the speakers at least 20" away from the side walls.
- Surround Speakers Use: In a 5.1ch system, the bookshelf speakers should be placed slightly behind the listening position, facing each other. As surround side speakers in a 7.1ch system, place the speaker directly to the sides of the listening position. As surround back speakers in a 7.1ch system, place the speakers on the wall behind the listening position and 3-6' apart. Always position the speakers at least 5-6' from the floor when used as surround or surround back speakers in a 5.1ch or 7.1ch setup.
Mounting Options: The JBL Arena 120 bookshelf loudspeakers can be can be placed on a flat surface (like a stand, shelf, or tabletop); self-adhesive rubber feet are supplied to help secure the speaker to the flat surface. The rubber feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker. The JBL bookshelf loudspeakers can also be wall-mounted using the speaker's integrated keyhole slots on back of the cabinet (mounting screws not included).
JBL Arena Series: The Arena 120 bookshelf loudspeaker is part of JBL's Arena series of loudspeakers, which includes floorstanding speakers, bookshelf speakers, a center-channel speaker, a powered sub, as well as in-wall and in-ceiling speakers.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Good reviews! [ Randy Apr 18, 2018 ]
These were exactly what I was looking for as far as wall mountable surround speakers. The reviews were great, and JBLs reputation speaks for itself. [ P Mar 01, 2018 ]
I own a pair of JBL L 100 speakers and their quality is unsurpassed [ paul Feb 05, 2018 ]
good price and excelent company (JBL) [ P Dec 11, 2017 ]
price and reviews. [ david Nov 11, 2017 ]
Needed a shallow speaker for my shop that was fairly economical for use with my ancient 80's vintage Denon receiver. [ John Jul 05, 2017 ]
I needed a speaker that would fit in a shallow cavity in a wall. [ Joseph Sep 18, 2016 ]
These were nice speakers but they did not seem to be what I expected. Chrutchfied was gacious with no questions asked and let me return them. [ Tom Jul 14, 2016 ]