Nest Cam Indoor
Wireless indoor security camera
Our take on the Nest Cam Indoor by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The Nest Cam lets you make sure loved ones are safe even when you're not at home.
Quick and easy home security
There are times when I need to see what's going on in the house: whether I'm on a week's vacation, at work for the day, or have left the pets alone in the house for a couple of hours. Fortunately, there's a solution. The Nest Cam Indoor makes it easy to check in at home using your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Just plug in your camera and launch the Nest app on your phone and you'll be streaming video and receiving alerts in moments. The Nest Cam Indoor is your eyes, ears and even your voice when you're away from home — each camera has a microphone and speaker built in, so you can verbally check in with kids, elderly parents or pets while you're at work.
Note: The Nest Cam Indoor uses the included USB cord for power, but communicates with your device wirelessly.
Subscription-based cloud storage
The Nest Cam Indoor streams live video, but you'll likely want to save clips for later review. Nest Aware offers subscription-based cloud storage packages that automatically archive a 5-day history ($5 per month or $50/year), 10-day history ($10 per month or $100/year) or a 30-day history ($30/month or $300/year). Nest Aware also offers advanced services like person alerts, alert history, personalized alerts for different zones, and an ability to create time lapse videos to show changes throughout the day.
Part of your whole-home Nest system
The Nest Cam Indoor is compatible with other Nest home automation devices:
Your Nest devices work together to give you more control over home security. If your smoke detector sends you an alert while you're at work, you can turn on your Nest camera and assess the situation instantly, then use the camera's microphone and speakers to warn anyone who might be home. Even better, if your Nest Protect senses rising levels of carbon monoxide, your Nest Thermostat can automatically turn off your connected gas furnace.
- wireless indoor security camera is easy to install and sync with other Nest devices
- compatible with:
- live-view footage from anywhere using your smartphone, tablet or laptop
- 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels)
- 130° field of view
- 3-megapixel sensor provides sharp, clear images
- 8x pinch-to-zoom feature lets you focus on a specific part of a room using the touchscreen on your smartphone or tablet
- dual-band radio makes a solid Wi-Fi® connection
- get emails or push notifications instantly when motion and sound are detected
- built-in mic and speaker allow two-way communication
- camera switches to night vision mode automatically when a room gets dark
- 10-foot USB cable and power adapter included
- note: uses one USB cord for power, but communicates with your device wirelessly
- set the camera to turn on and off based on time of day or your location
- save and share footage with optional Nest Aware service (requires a monthly or yearly fee)
- 128-bit encryption happens inside the camera to provide security even on unsecured Wi-Fi networks
- speed-search for a specific moment in a day's worth of video with Sightline
- if you have more than one camera in a room, use Spaces to see all of them at once
- free 3-hour snapshot history in the Nest app, so you can check and see if you missed anything
- share password-protected live view from your camera
- two-step authentication makes your Nest devices more secure
- get a special Person Alert when Nest Cam Indoor detects a human presence
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 2-13/16"W x 4-1/2"H x 2-13/16"D
- weight: 7.16 oz.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Nest Cam (black) Wi-Fi video camera with magnetic base
- Wall bracket
- 119" Micro USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro USB on other end)
- AC adapter with USB port (DC output: 5V 2A)
- 3 Self-tapping screws (length=3/4")
- "Welcome Home" sheet
- Ready.Set.Go sheet
- Nest family brochure
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Nest Cam warning sticker
Gustavo, Briarwood, NY
Nest Cam Indoor Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: Nest Cam is a small, Wi-Fi-capable camera that can help you keep an eye on your home or office. It can securely stream live 1080p Full HD video to your computer, or to an iPhone, iPad, or Android device. Two-way audio lets you hear what's going on, and allows you to talk to persons through the camera. It works as a standalone home surveillance camera, or in conjunction with the Nest Protect Smoke and CO alarm and the Nest Thermostat. The Nest Cam has a magnetic base, and comes with a 10' Micro USB cable, AC adapter, and a wall-mount bracket.
Installing: Nest Cam is mounted to a 2-7/8" diameter magnetic base. On the base, the camera can be tilted up to 180°. The camera and base can be placed on a shelf or tabletop, or wall mounted using the included bracket. You can also remove the base and mount the camera to a tripod or other standard 1/4" camera mount. Nest Cam is powered by the supplied AC adapter (5V 2A) and 10' Micro USB cable. The camera is designed to operate with 802.11b/g/n networks on 2.4 GHz frequency bands.
Nest App: You can view streaming video from your Nest Cam on your iPhone, iPad, or Android device through the free Nest App. The app is compatible with Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) running iOS 8 or later. It is also compatible with all Samsung devices running Android 4.0.3 or later, and LG Nexus 5.
Nest Aware: Nest Cam lets you view live streaming on your computer or mobile device. The optional Nest Aware service with Video History lets you save the past 10 or 30 days of video footage in the cloud for review at any time. The service can create a time lapse of an event, or of an entire day, that you can watch in 60 seconds. You can make and save clips to share with friends or family. Custom activity zones can be created to keep an eye on specific areas in your home. As of September 2015, monthly rates start at $10 per month for 10 days of video and $30 per month for 30 days.
Works With Nest: When Nest Cam is added to a home network that includes Nest products, additional features are available. If the Nest Protect Smoke and CO Detector sounds an Emergency Alarm, all of the Nest Cams will turn on and start recording video automatically. The recording will continue for 1 hour, or until the Nest Protect senses that the smoke or carbon monoxide has subsided. When paired with a Nest Thermostat, the Nest Cams in your home can be set to automatically turn on when you switch to the Away setting on the Thermostat. When you return, and manually set the Thermostat to the Home setting, the Nest Cams will automatically turn off. This feature does not work with Nest Thermostat's Auto-Away feature.
Activity Alerts: Nest Cam can detect and alert you to either motion in your video or sound picked up by the microphone on the camera. When activity is detected, or if Nest Cam is offline, an alert is sent to your mobile device (through the Nest App), or to your Nest Cam account.
Camera Settings: Using the Nest App or your Nest Cam Account, you can change the following settings:
- Camera On/Off: lets you turn the camera video streaming on or off
- Status Light: turns the status light on or off
- HD Video: turns HD video on or off (to save bandwidth)
- Night Vision: activates ring of IR LEDs used for night vision. You can set to Auto, or manual on/off
- Rotate Image: rotates the video 180° in case you have to invert and mount on the ceiling
- Audio: turns the camera's microphone on or off
- Microphone Sensitivity: if microphone is on, this slide control adjusts the mic's sensitivity
- Camera Scheduling: allows you to set daily schedules for your camera to be on or off
- Location Schedule: For iOS only, this setting allows you to turn the camera on or off using the location of your iPhone.
- Nest Cam CVR: lets you see your current CVR (cloud video recording) subscription
- Detect Motion Events: allows you to enable or disable the camera to detect motion events
- Detect Sound Events: allows you to enable or disable the camera to detect sound events
- Wi-Fi Network: indicated which Wi-Fi network your camera is connected to.
- Deactivate The Camera: If you want to use the camera in a different Nest Cam account, sell or give away the camera, you must first deactivate it.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
To monitor my dog in her crate. [ Satoshi Jun 08, 2018 ]
I have other Nest products and love they way they integrate with each other. Also, the setup and installation has always been well designed and easy for the "average Joe" to do. The excellent promotional sale price Crutchfield was offering was icing on the cake. [ Stephen Jun 07, 2018 ]
Happy with Nest thermostat [ stuart May 19, 2018 ]
Already have 1 NEST cam setup as a "Nanny Cam / Baby Monitor" for our youngest child, now setting one up for the other 2 kids. Love the NEST cam. [ Samuel Feb 23, 2018 ]
I've been looking for a good indoor camera. Also I already have a nest thermostat so adding this makes sense. It all hooks into the same app. Now my wife can watch our dog during the day! [ Joshua Dec 19, 2017 ]
Reputation of product [ John Nov 18, 2017 ]
Recommended from a friend as a baby monitor replacement that works great for traveling parents. [ JOSEPH Aug 03, 2017 ]
I love my NEST thermostats and all reviews pointed to this being a good choice. I like that I already have a NEST account and am assuming set up will be as easy as the thermostat set up was. [ Suzanne Jun 28, 2017 ]
Buying this for a baby monitor alternative. [ Samuel Feb 28, 2017 ]
Reputation, popular brand, good software reviews! [ DAN R Feb 12, 2017 ]
Security [ Travis Nov 27, 2016 ]
Baby monitor [ Matthew Nov 25, 2016 ]
I have one. Wanted another. [ William Nov 24, 2016 ]
To keep an eye on pets . . . and teenage daughter. [ deb Nov 23, 2016 ]
Excellent camera, I already have one and I am expanding my system. [ LUIS Sep 01, 2016 ]
home security [ Daniel Jul 22, 2016 ]
Highly rated review. The Nest interface (web access/mobile app) should be pretty slick. [ Keith Feb 02, 2016 ]
Easiness to insrall [ Adam Jan 24, 2016 ]
Had video and speaking ability. [ MICHAEL Dec 26, 2015 ]
2 questions already asked
I don't think you have a way to authenticate your identity through the Nest. [ JAY Jul 20, 2017 ]
You can buy an enclosure that's specifically made to conceal the units. Just do a web search on it, you'll find many of them. I have the alarm clock. [ JAY Jun 13, 2017 ]
Professional installation I can send you a photo where I have one installed [ RODOLFO A Jun 12, 2017 ]
Yes [ RODOLFO A Jun 12, 2017 ]